Food and Drug Administration Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent Employer
Office of Operations-Associate Ombudsman (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDFebruary 9, 2016
Excellent Public Service Employer
Focus on employee development, recruitment of high caliber scientific talent, focus on employee engagement, work-life balance.
Fast Paced Culture, Constant Growth
Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJuly 14, 2015
This is a fast paced environment where any training needed was learned on the job. While some may find this challenging, I enjoyed all of the skills and knowledge gained. I had the opportunity to master my office administration and event/meeting planning talents that was displayed during an international conference held by my office. I had the opportunity to meet with numerous foreign government officials and research opportunities for international engagement. The environment involves several international partners which provides constant work and little room for errors.
Pros
Increased knowledge of international affairs, Diverse work culture
Cons
Management, Lack of Growth
Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDFebruary 3, 2016
As soon as I walked in the front door I was given task to complete. The management was able to give any form of assignments whether its was lengthy or short term.
Fast Paced and Structured
Program Analyst (Student) (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDApril 27, 2016
Good training for pathways intern. Had an awesome team. The work was fast paced. Telework allowed. Supervisors worked in teams as well. Very good structure and delegation of duties. I have nothing negative to say about the FDA.
Pros
Funny and fun team
Educational Student Internship
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 15, 2014
Aside from the cubicle lifestyle, this internship within the FDA was an enriching experience. I was given the opportunity to work on a database project designed to make searching for licensing history easier for the CBER division. With this I was given the task to design, load, and test the database for any potential kinks. The FDA is a great place to work with a ton of job security and plenty of your standard government employee benefits. Overall, I came away from this job with the most beneficial experience when it comes to managing time, working with deadlines, and giving presentations.
Daily Duties
(Administrative Specialist)FDA (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GaJune 8, 2015
A typical day at work consist of regular office duties, Filing, data entry and research. Assisting HR and Admin Specialist with credentials, diversity,new hires,training,FMLA,compliance,orders,and diversity. During my employment with the FDA, I learned teamwork, organizational structure, employee policy and procedure, payroll audits, diversity and daily operations. Management consisted of 3 different managers and 3 different branches. Their work ethic and job culture proceeded federal government exceptions.The hardest part of my job revolved around waiting federal certs to tally during new hiring process. The most enjoyable part of the job was providing a serve for the public.
Productive and relaxed workplace.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 2, 2016
I was mainly a clerk who just organized files and assisted with office cleanliness. It was my first job in an office environment and I learned many things about working in a formal setting as I was in high school at the time.
Great Place
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDMarch 22, 2016
Great place to work if you are not a contractor. If you are a Fed than you are good. Contractor sometimes have it rough. New buildings. Friendly poeple.
Pros
Nice Cafetiria
Cons
Contracting
Very dynamic environment
SME/Sr. Consultant (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDMarch 15, 2016
Very fast pace and dynamic environment. Hardest part of the job was requirements changing until last minute. Very challenging requirements to implement.
Fda
Health Manager (Current Employee) –  College Park, MD 20740May 3, 2016
Great place to work, Fast paced organization with layers of controls.
Many managers are in the "acting" position and this holds things up for years.
Productive and Engaging environment
Student Trainee (Engineer) (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 23, 2015
Overall, I learned so much from my time in the Food and Drug administration. A typical day at work is filled with learning new things about projects and coworkers. Specifically, I learned that one has to really go out and take advantage of information most may not see. One thing people are looking for is a self-starter. You're always going to have to go out of your way to find infomation to your projects.

Management wasn't always entirely engaging but the co-workers are easy to work with and really assisted me in learning about the job. The hardest part of this job is the consistent diligence to the research it takes for some projects. The most enjoyable part was always having something new to learn.
Pros
Great Learning evironment
Productive Environment where respect of persons is priority.
Database Administration/Automation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 19, 2013
A typical day at this job included morning and afternoon meetings along with a daily email of tasks to complete and an email at the end of each shift to document completed assignments and upcoming assignments due for completion. I learned how the Southeast Region of the FDA receive their budget, what they are allowed to spend it on, how much time they have to spend it, and what happens if the money is or is not spent. Management was very impactful, approachable, and excellent and solving problems and teaching others how to solve problems as well. Co-workers worked well as a team. The hardest part of this job was leaving. The most enjoyable part of this job was constantly learning new information that was beneficial inside and outside of the job.
Pros
excellent management, great hours, comfortable work environment, vacation
Cons
no benefits, temporary
Light work load
ORISE Fellow (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDNovember 10, 2015
This is a nice place to work, however, it is highly dependent on your supervisor. They can make you work very rewarding and exciting.
Very busy days
Program Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  MarylandOctober 26, 2015
I worked from the time I hit my desk until quitting time. I was always challenged to think outside the box. Working with such a talented group of individuals always made me strive to do my best.
Intermittent work reviewing and evaluating reports for the Ranch Hand studies
Member of the Ranchhand Advisory Committee (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDApril 18, 2015
Reviewed draft reports and prepared critiques with recommendations for improving the document. Attended one-day meetings of the Committee in Rockville, MD and contributed to the discussions.
I learned the limited evidence for health effects of Agent Orange and other herbicides on the crews of aircraft spraying in Viet Nam.
Management was excellent.
Coworkers were very bright; it was a delight working with them.
The hardest part of the job was reading the reports and occasionally doing research on the methods and conclusions.
The most enjoyable part was interacting with the experts on the Committee.
Pros
Interacting with very bright scientists
A Great Environment
Oracle Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 23, 2015
It was a decent working environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Interesting work with flexible hours
STAFF FELLOW (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDOctober 23, 2013
Overall working at FDA is great. The work is interesting and there is a lot of opportunity for training and learning new things. The down sides are that there is not enough opportunity to grow and advance. In some cases, advancement is difficult and can involve a very long drawn out process. Also, the compensation is not in keeping with industry.
Pros
flexible hours
Must be knowledgable to polices and regulation
Consumer Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Doral, FLAugust 5, 2015
Very exciting job! You are always on the go and sometime will have to travel out of the country to conduct inspections. Hours Mon-Fri flexible schedule with weekends and holidays off.
Pros
Weekends and Holidays off
Cons
A lot of training involved
Professional place yet very friendly and fun people
Intern/Junior Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 6, 2014
This is a very professional place where everyone is friendly and tries to help. Great benefits and also room for growth and advancement.
Best benefits to work for the government
Import Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 19, 2013
During my years in FDA gain a lot of knowledge on laws for products that come from abroad to USA. i.e food, rx drugs and perfumes.

Did a lot of training as I enter a secretary and went to school to become an expert in Import department. Had 16 inspectors that I had to assign and check their accomplishments on their daily assignments.
Pros
federal benefits
Cons
too much traveling

4.4