FoodLion

FoodLion United States Employee Reviews

learning new things
Deli Associate (Former Employee), Rockingham, NCMay 1, 2015
Pros: Meeting new people and learning new things
Cons: Schedule, management
Being able to come to work knowing what to expect. I learn team work, how to decorate cakes and customer service. The management was so great, they look down on the employees at times. I keep a bond with all my co-workers and work as a team.The hardest part of the job was the schedule and working with the public. I have had rude people and racist people approach me. I enjoy having something to do every day and meeting new people.
stable job
cashier, bagger, customer service (Former Employee), Beckley, WVApril 28, 2015
stable job with good atmosphere. typical day started when i showed up counted my drawer down and went on register to relieve another cashier for a break. i rang people up on my register as fast and efficient as possible. i took pride in how i bagged groceries.
good
Cashier (Former Employee), NCApril 23, 2015
Working with this company was an experience that helped me learn different lessons in life. It taught me to be a hard worker and i learned how to work hard.
Fun place with a great team of workers
Maintenance (Former Employee), Charleston, SCApril 18, 2015
Pros: Great work staff
Cons: There isn't really anything bad about the job
My day is a very laid back for the most part. I've learned that the customer is always right no matter what. The managing staff is pretty open minded. There wasn't really anything hard about the job it was fairly easy. Talking to the customers is most fun part about the job
Good company to work for
Perishable Manager (Current Employee), Pulaski, VAApril 12, 2015
Pros: good benifits for full time
Cons: demanding work place
Food lion has been good to me . Over all it has been a good place to work. Some managers are easier to get along with then others, but the relations with other associates have been good i have made a lot of friends. The benefits for full timers are good, but part timers don't have any. It is hard to get a full time position, so getting your foot in the door at part time is the way most go about it. They are good about promoting with in company.
Food Lion
Cashier (Former Employee), Stuarts DraftApril 12, 2015
Cons: Short 10 minute breaks
Worked most of the time at a cash register. I didn't learn that much when I was there. Some managers i got along with and some I didn't. All of the co-workers were nice and friendly and helpful. The hardest part of my job was to remember where the product goes on the shelf. the most enjoyable part of the day was when I got to go home because I like more of building jobs.
productive, very friendly, and great pride in caring for our customers
deli associate and stocker (Former Employee), Shelbyville, TNApril 3, 2015
Pros: customer service experience
Cons: health care benefits
very friendly customers who came in everyday to buy what they needed. I was taught to speak up and associate with customers. instead of being shy and hardly talking to customers . made a lot of friends with my coworkers and everyone was friendly. they would lend a helping hand when it was needed. hardest part of my job was working weekends when we were super busy. there was only one person in the deli and we would get so backed up with customers. they were all patient but would have liked a little more help on the weekends.
Work
Sales Associate/ Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 26, 2015
I had a wonderful time working at Foodlion. There needs to be more consistency in the store along with better co-workers.Management needs work.
Working long days and more days when people do not show up to work.
Store Manager (Former Employee), MarylandMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Meeting cutomers
Cons: Not have a family life due to be called at all tiems
Typical day is normal a 10 plus hour a day. People not wanting to perfom there jobs. Mangement in the most are pretty good to dreal with. Working with the customer is the enjoyable part of the job.
work force
cashier (Current Employee), Fayetteville, NCFebruary 28, 2015
the job title that i had was a customer related position, some time you work hard and other times you don't, it's a wonderful company the pay rate is ok co workers are nice and the managers are nice and it is an equal opportunity
healthy work inviorment
selecter (Former Employee), Salisbury, NCFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: very cold
i learned how to multi task working at foodlion wearhouse because of pulling orders at a production pace.also learning to operate pallet jacks and forklifts while working for foodlion.
Product and very fun environment.
Deli/Baker Clerk Start (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCFebruary 25, 2015
A typical day at work would be just as if you were to walk into the actual store. Everyone (employee's) greet with a warm welcome and attempt to establish a connection between you. Management is okay to be honesty.... could use improvement but whats a work place if it does not need improvement? Hardest part of the job would be days when its very busy such as holidays, those days are undesirable. I would say the most enjoyable part of the job would be meeting new customers and connections with employees.
Front End Sales Assocaite
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), South Hill, VAFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: working wth great people
Cons: getting carts
Being an Sales Associate at Food lion, it could get pretty busy because everyone is coming to get groceries. I learned the proper way to handle a customer and how to work well with others in such a busy work place. The management and co workers were very nice and everyone was their do to their job. The hardest part of my job was closing the store by myself but after awhile it ended up being easy. The most enjoyable thing about my job is that I get to help others and make people feel comfortable shopping at our store.
It's a job!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Statesville, NCFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: you get a paycheck every 2 weeks.
Cons: very clicky! you're treated as if you don't matter!
A typical work day is clocking in and going to the register that I have been assigned that day. I scan and bag the groceries. If I have any putbacks that need to go back right away, such as perishables, I will take them back to the freezer or deli section. I answer customers questions to the best of my ability and I will also answer the phone when need be. I've learned how to multitask and how to come out of my shell. The store manager and assistant store manager are really good people. The Customer Service Manager leaves a lot to be desired. She sometimes will speak in this baby voice to you and other times she will stare you down and has nothing to say to you. One thing I've learned is that the store that I am employed at is very clicky! If you're in the office you can get away with and basically do whatever you want. i.e. cuss in front of customers, do not have to adhere to the dress code/policy, eat and drink when they want to. They promote cashiers based on who in the office like you. If someone in office doesn't like you then you're going to be stuck on that register. A few people have been told in interviews that they're going to office in a few weeks/months and after 2 years they're still on the register. Then there was a cashier who came in and 3 months later they're promoted to Office Assistant! And this particular person just did not deserve the promotion. The office personnel are the ones that get good hours. Regular cashiers get anywhere from 9-15 hours a week. If you ask for more hours you're told yes, but you never get them. The cashier co-workers are really great – more... people to work with, but office does not want to associate with you because you're just a cashier. You can not go to the Customer Service Assistant Manager or Manager with problems about another employee (especially someone in office) because they will run to them and tell them everything that you said and then the next time that you are working with the office person they will confront and harass you and make your life miserable. I feel that if you have a problem you should be able to talk to management and those be held accountable without any repercussions on your part. Also, at my store there is a certain office person who will send you on a lunch no matter how many hours you're scheduled to work when the policy is 6 hours or more you have to go to lunch, less than 6 hours you take a break. There really isn't anything hard about the job. It does get boring at times. And a person can only clean their area so much when you don't have a customer. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the customers and the coworkers that are friendly. – less
productive and fun work place
specialist merchandise (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCFebruary 11, 2015
Food Lion is a wonderful place to start grasp experience and grow in knowledge for other completive jobs. Great opportunities.
Enjoy working here but not where i see myself in five years.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Fairmont, NCFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: free dinners for holidays.
Cons: short breaks
Good place to work if you are looking for part time work but not career material. Having worked here for almost two years they treat the associates that have been here really badly and keep hiring new people.
Very clickish with management personnel.
QA (Former Employee), Port Wentworth, GAJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: there were no pros at food lion.
Cons: no incentives of any kind, just work of you would get yelled at by manager.
A typical day at work would start out with the daily log of what was exspected from you for that day. You would always gather up all of the trash in and out of the store. Clean the bathrooms. Make sure the supplies were good and that the bathrooms stayed cleaned though out the shift. Dust mop the floor of the store and then wet mop the spots as needed. Sweep the sidewalk in front of the store everyday. Clean glass doors of produce and meat department as needed. Everyday was different and you had to use common sense alot of the time. My co-workers were good and we all worked independantly on our specific shift. The hardest part of the job was when a team member was not able to pull his or her shift then you had to do their work on top of yours. There was not and enjoyable part of the job but if there was it would be when we would get our pay check. We would never get a Good job a thank you from any of the Managers. They treated us like dirt under their feet.
Productive and fun
Cashier (Former Employee), Shallotte, NCJanuary 15, 2015
Great management, learned alot everyday I worked.I got along with everyone.
Heavy lifting
Overnight Crew (Former Employee), Waldorf, MDJanuary 13, 2015
Great, Dependable co- workers! lifting some boxes was probably the hardest.
Specialty Merchadising Associate
Speciaty Merchandiing Associate (Former Employee), Washington, NCJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: good place to work
Cons: not enough hours
A typical day consisted of unloading trucks and changing prices through out the store.

I learned organization, and importance of price changing, placed orders for items, cashier.

Management was good.

Hardest part of the job was unloading the trucks.

The most enjoyable part of the job was learning the ins and out of a grocery store and working with the public.

1 2 3 4 5

Deli Associate
Stocker
$8.75 per hour

FoodLion Photos

One of our many buildings!