Primary Function - Creation of mechanical design packages (assemblies, details, BOMs) for machines that meet client specifications and adhere to FDI quality standards.
1. Creation of complete mechanical design packages using SolidWorks.
2. Capable and comfortable self-managing complex mechanical designs: special machines, automation equipment, robotic weld fixture tooling, assembly equipment, test equipment, etc.
3. Adheres to all FDI and client design standards.
1. Focused on high quality, error-free designs that are easy to manufacture, cost-effective, operator friendly, and require minimal debug during assembly and runoff.
2. Takes full responsibility for the accuracy and completeness of their designs after receiving and evaluating input from others (Design Optimizer, Checker, client, Engineering Manager, etc.).
1. Follows an efficient design process utilizing current technologies and evolves as new methods and knowledge are made available.
1. Understands client needs/specifications and tailors designs to meet these specifications. Interacts with the client during all stages of the design process (information gathering, design reviews, change orders, etc.) and is able to see beyond the client’s stated needs without disrespecting their decisions.
2. Adept at collecting needed information from a client, suggesting improvements, pointing out overlooked details, and clearly presenting designs during the review process.
3. Communicates clearly and professionally by email.
4. Maintains accurate and complete records of communication with clients, design review changes, to-do’s, and decisions affecting project scope.
1. Experience – Minimum 8 years of experience designing special machines. Excellent knowledge of mechanical and machining processes, purchased components, design and cost-saving practices, and ergonomics.
2. Education – A college degree in mechanical engineering is advantageous, but not required. Applicable machine design experience is more important.
1. Vision – Believes in, promotes, and exhibits the FDI vision of Engineering Wizardry.
2. Continuous Improvement – Actively looks for ways to improve personal expertise, quality, and efficiency by asking questions, seeking out new tools, tweaking design processes, and pursuing knowledge. Willing to share knowledge, ideas, and suggestions for improvement with colleagues.
3. Character – Builds client and co-worker relationships by treating all with dignity, honor, and integrity.
1. SolidWorks – Proficient in all SolidWorks functions relating to machine design. Utilizes best practices regarding assemblies, parts, drawings, mating, sketching, configurations, design tables, etc.
2. Flexibility – Adaptable to a wide variety of client standards and project types.
3. Management – Effectively self-manages projects and can give reasonably accurate timelines to the scheduler during the course of the design.
4. Computer/Software Skills – Capable in all commonly used software and hardware (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.). Can efficiently find relevant information online.
Visit our website to view job openings and upload a resume (http://forcedesign.biz/employment/engineering-job-openings/)