Forest City Enterprises

Forest City Enterprises United States Employee Reviews

Forest City Will Always Have a Special Place in my Heart
Identity Management Supervisor (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHApril 9, 2015
Pros: Ability to Work From Home
Cons: Parking Situation
I owe a lot of my IT Knowledge to Forest City and am grateful that I had the opportunity to work in this fast paced ambiguous environment. It taught me how to be flexible, how to manage people and it taught me a lot about diversity. Forest City is family oriented which is very important to me and also gives back to the community which is HUGE in my opinion.
Great Place
Leasing Specialist II (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 3, 2015
Pros: Great training
I enjoyed my time with Forest City. I would have loved to stay with the company if there was a an opportunity to advance. My coworkers are great. The best part is the training you get.
Quality of Forest City Enterprise
Quality Assurance Inspector Specialist (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: helping family to ease transition as easy as possible. meeting new people, and helping them.
Cons: seems i'm not able to provide the quality time i should when pcs time is near
My typical day is as follows:
Prepare for my scheduled inspections. Morning, I did the move out inspections, and through out the day I conduct pre and move-in inspections. Document information concerning the status of the units and what is needed by the vendors and contractors to make the unit rent ready. Check and schedule for tomorrows inspections, and call to remind, and answer any questions.
Contact the contractors, vendors, and maintenance to prepare for the next day schedule. Document information including possible fees charging residents. Check my emails for any up-to-date information regarding the company, changes in status of units, and immediate attention emails.

What I have learned:
A little extra quality time with new residents or questions can go a long way for a family who traveled so far to make this unit their own home. Assisting others is the best gift I can give with passion of my job, and helping others

Along with my co workers we stay active and busy by doing the job, and going up, and beyond when residents is in need or requesting things, and being able to produce, and/or use our resources to provide whats needed.

The hardest part of the job for me is not feeling I am not able to provide the quality time, because of the high demand in inspections especially when its PCS season. I make sure I always provide my information, so if they do have any inquiries or issues, they can do so.

I enjoy the most about this job was, I enjoy helping residents on educating, and assisting the residents as much as possible.
Unknowledgeable Supervisors
Technician (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIJanuary 17, 2015
Irritation and frustration between Supervisors, Dispatchers, Technicians and Customers.
Forward-thinking and enterprising
Manager, Commercial Development (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHDecember 16, 2014
Pros: great benefits, employer matching 401k
The work environment at Forest City is one of strong team cooperation and utilization, if you are not a team player this is not the place for you.
Inconsiderate, backstabbing, & rude employees.
Resident relations specialist (Former Employee), KailuaNovember 4, 2014
Pros: weekends off and some paid holidays.
Cons: longer work days, whole month in october where you have to work till 6 or later.
When I first started the current employees were rude. Didn't bother to make an effort to train me properly. Spent two whole months just filing their own work.
Management only cares about their bonuses. Won't try to help you out and will push multiple jobs on you at once while expecting you to get your actual tasks done.
They aren't understanding of family matters.
I was specifically told to find someone else to watch my kids since I didn't have family/friends available to watch them. "at the end of the day, we run a business."
Good Company to work for
Business Manager (Current Employee), Poulsbo, WANovember 3, 2014
Pros: openness by management to new ideas; appreciative of collaborative work; good pay and benefits.
Cons: many areas of the business need to be aligned and run more efficient.
Overall, Forest City is a great Company to work for. They are, for the most part family oriented, and try to the best of their ability to engage their associates in decisions making. They also have great training opportunities, and a good advancement policy.
Gained recruiting experience
Talent Acquisition Coordinator/Junior Recruiter (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJuly 7, 2014
Met great people
Learned about recruiting and human resource function
Gained audit experience
A very easy-going workplace and friendly atmosphere.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHJune 17, 2014
Pros: free parking.
Cons: part-time hours.
A typical workday consists of assisting customers and employees with questions and concerns regarding Tower City Center in Downtown Cleveland, Ohio and also validating their parking on a daily basis. The best part of the job is interacting with the customers. The hardest part is the lack of hours I receive to actually be at work.
former employee
maintenance supervisor (Former Employee), wvMay 6, 2014
This company only cares about its bottom line while acting like they care about employees and residents. They dont fix major problems and do not want to spend money . All they care about is keeping their hud apartments full. Poor management and employees talk about each other instead of working together. DO NOT WORK HERE!
wonderful place
Art Specialist (Current Employee), 6871 Ames Rd Parma, OH 44129March 15, 2014
Pros: excellent work environment, wonderful staff
Cons: i wish i could be there more.
I have been an art/dance instructor for Forest City for almost two years, and they have the most wonderful staff who are so kind to the residents. They go out of there way to make the residents feel happy and entertained by offering so many activities for them.
Cleveland
Management (Current Employee), ClevelandJanuary 29, 2014
Cons: toxic environment
This company treats people poorly and micromanages everything you do. Management is underhanded and should not be trusted. It is a very childish environment with people constantly talking about each other like they are in high school. Management plots people as well against each other. They will make you do 3 people's jobs and expect you to do even more all while critizing you. This is not a healthy environment at all and if you want to keep your sanity, I would suggest you think twice.
I enjoy the poooltabale and the backyard outside.
Groundskeeper/Maintenance (Former Employee), Detroit, MIDecember 11, 2013
Pros: i enjoy cooking than eat for free at lunch time
Cons: good healthcare that forest city had for me
My typical day at work is passing out flyers to the people that stay in the apartments,what i learned at forest city is how to repair,sinks,toilts,windows,dooors.What i come to management is the people trust that live there.Co-workers we work hard together as a team some time we will have fun on are lunch.The hardest part of the job was walking up and down stairs.The most enjoyable part of the job was outside cooking for the people that live in the apartment building.
Research the Management of your location prior to taking a position
Affordable Housing Coordinator (Former Employee), Haverhill, MANovember 14, 2013
Pros: excellent benefits, generous vacation time, good salary
Cons: managers that do not care about employees or residents
I came to Forest City with 6 1/2 years of Property Management experience and accepted a lesser title as an Affordable Housing Coordinator. I was hired along with a new Property Manager and Maintenance Supervisor all at the same time (all new staff). During my interviews prior to being hired I was asked if I could assist with Market Leasing as well ( I agreed as I wanted the experience). The predecessors in my position were given 40 hours per week to complete the Affordable Housing Coordinator position at that very busy property. In the end I was given approximately 13.5 hours each week to get the work for that position completed. I was not consulted nor included during the annual file audit with regards to MY FILES.

My concerns with not having enough time to complete my primary position fell on deaf ears and were met with sarcasm, and the "just get it done" attitude. As the months progressed, overall occupancy was 96-97% but my main job requirements suffered for it. In my opinion I was used as a guinea pig to juggle both postions as AHP and Market Leasing so management did not have to hire additional leasing staff. The position is being re-advertised the same way so BEWARE! Its not worth it!

The property manager also encouraged other staff on several occasions to make fun of me, exclude and embarrass me in the workplace. By the time my formal harassment complaint came through corporate, it was too late. I consulted an attorney from Boston regarding harassment in the workplace, however they said that because I don't belong to a protected class of citizens or was documenting – more... through corporate the harassment all along, I had no case. They told me, "unfortunately you worked for a manager that just didn't like you."

After my employment ended I was given 30 days to vacate the premises verbally (as I lived on site). I was forced to request a formal "Notice to Vacate" in writing before obtaining one that entitled me 30 calendar days or more like 45 days to find alternative housing.

I have since learned that the same Property Manager has lost other staff as well for the same reasoning. If they should decide to sue for harassment, I'm going to insist on joining the fight against this company and this property manager in particular.

The company has great benefits, great vacation time, excellent pay, however their corporate office employees in Cleveland, OH are absolutely horrible to deal with. Their choice in Management staff produces managers that do not care about their staff or residents therefore the employee and resident turnover is high and customer service greatly suffers.

It is curious that this property manager was allowed by corporate management to slander my personal character in writing (more than once) and get away with it. I have retained the proof for my records. I came to this company with 6 1/2 years of experience and have built a reputation as a quality Property Manager and have since resumed my title as a Property Manager with another reputable company. I am most grateful for the learning experience and I'm happy that I was able to move on from a very stressful working environment. I simply do not wish that kind of hardship on anyone reading this review who may be considering employment with this company. – less
It was good benefits but very challengeing to earn a living
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Ashtabula,Ohio,44004, (Astabula Towers)September 5, 2013
Pros: i no longer work for forestcity ent.
Cons: i no longer work for forestcity ent.
I thought there was poor managent in the admistration in the building.My opinions or input didnt seem to matter. I dont want to comment any more.
Information is available upon request and will not be disclosed in a rating review.
Office Manager to Owners Rep (Former Employee), miami, flAugust 13, 2013
Great place to work at.
Security Director (Current Employee), San Bruno, CAApril 25, 2013
A busy enviroment with retail exposure. The co-workers have great skills and office environment is great.
maintenance
maintenance (Former Employee), parma, ohApril 6, 2013
Pros: 40 hr wrk weeks normally
Cons: low pay, management meddling in work, lack of real advancement
Company has massive disconnect between staff and managment, i worked at a property where there was definite favoritism. Management preaches teamwork but wont be caught dead actually helping out. Leasing agents often would rent apartments with only 2 or 3 days to turn them and the problem would just become maintenance staffs issue to deal with. Property manager treated staff poorly, there was no advancement within property.
No longer a familiy run business
Financial Executive (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJanuary 26, 2013
Founding family has turned the reins over to self-interested managers who show little compassion but produce less than stellar results. Review the annual Proxy to see what these managers pay themselves for a mediocre performance.
Administrative overhead is bloated compared with REIT peer group.
The executive network rewards those with social ties to leadership (relatives and drinking buddies), punishing dissent without regard for what's best for the shareholders.
Great Company
Leasing/LIHTC (Former Employee), MAJanuary 21, 2013
Pros: great benefits, good pay
Cons: long days
I worked at this company for three years. I worked extremely hard for a new lease up community. The company is great and will take care of you for hard work. The community offices are small teams of employees so like any job you will have a clash in personalities. Great company I left because of the commute was getting to long, but was very happy at FCE.