Forever 21 Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,543 reviews matching the search
Unorganized but positively challenging.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 25, 2016
My typical work day was very high pace. There was always something to do, which I enjoyed. I assisted a multitude of customers while also having to maintain an organized work area. My co-workers weren't as efficient as the job required and everyone would have to pick up each other's slack. They more often came to work to socialize amongst each other than doing actual work or communicating with customers. The hardest part of the job was having to do someone else's work along with my own because that added hours onto my shift. I was capable of ding the extra work but I felt that if an employee can't handle his or her position then they should find another job. The most enjoyable part of the job was the music, fast paced environment, and the clothes. The atmosphere was very exciting. With management I rarely saw them during the day until closing. They offered plenty criticism but not much praise and I feel like praise is pertinent to keeping up moral in the workplace. I learned a lot about developing a routine and learning my limits. I learned this lesson early on and it made me a better employee.
Pros
Mall discount and store discount
Cons
Small breakroom and lack of organization
fun and hectic
sales associate/ damage specialist/ cashier (Current Employee) –  myrtle beach scFebruary 16, 2016
the people you work with are fun but can be crazy. the environment is hectic and not always ideal. the management is okay, but the treatment of some employees is utterly ridiculous. favoritism is a major role in this company and its not really a long term job. working there for over two years and getting a twenty cent raise is completely unfair.
Pros
fun work envireonment
Cons
no opportunities to move up, rarely get promotions/raises, not enough hours, not regular shifts
It was okay
Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJNovember 30, 2015
The day went by fast due to constant cleaning, and helping customers.
Monthly SOP's which I thought was extremely crucial. Every month we would learn and focus on a new safety procedure to make yourself well and aware if danger ever occurred.
Management was okay. I never met anyone above my manager so I can't have a say on how they were.
The hardest part was the cleaning. We would be in the store two hours after we closed due to cleaning up clothes and putting them back in a neat and orderly fashion.
I feel that putting outfits together was the most exciting part about the job. You could use your imagination and style to help a customer feel good about the clothes you picked out for him/her.
Pros
creativity, work/life balance
Cons
pay, benefits, organization
Worst job to have
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Pearland, TXDecember 9, 2015
This job seemed fun on the first day. After that you realize it's not. As a sales associate you have a lot of duties but you can bust your behind doing them and STILL get yelled at by managers. They are rude, and inconsiderate. You will be overworked and underpaid. It's not a good job to have if you're a student, or looking for extra cash because it is not worth the long hours and short breaks. They will try to manipulate you and then push you to quit. The management is terrible, and it makes the job so much more difficult to have.
Pros
Food court, meeting new people
Cons
Mistreated by managers, long hours, short breaks, unfixed schedule, no career advancement
High demand but low compensation
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 7, 2016
Most days consisted of customer servicing and zone maintenance to keep the store and the clothes organized. Personal shopping, product placement, and knowledge of floor sets were often encouraged to achieve (and hopefully exceed) hourly sales goals. However, the work environment called for high demand, stress, and occasional disrespect from few co-workers and management. I personally enjoyed working there but the demand and effort put into working there did not show any room for growth to higher positions, so I returned to school to finish my degree.
Pros
Fun co-workers, fast-paced environment, great way to train people skills
Cons
No employee benefits (aside from a small 15% discount), favoritism
Hardworking, Enjoyable co workers
Cashier, Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXApril 1, 2016
A typical day would be clocking in and setting up our work station.
If I was assigned to hang or senor clothes I would have to set up my table. If hanging I would create a space to where i could be productive and comfortable. If employee called out sick they would call me and put me on cashier.
Co Workers are enjoyable, as long as we get our work done we can laugh and talk.
Hardest part of the job is receiving shipment. Shipment would be usually fifty boxes and have to organize them and bring them in.
The most enjoyable part is the afternoon because that is when we start cleaning.
Pros
Employee discount.
Cons
Company refusal give give raises.
Fun and fast paced place to work
Lead of Service (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAFebruary 9, 2016
My usual work day started by counting registers and petty cash, then checking emails and updates. Then I would do a box count to see how much product was ready to go on the floor versus what we already had out. Next I would assign each employee responsibilities for the duration of their work shift. Sweep, mop and clean the mirrors. Making sure the store was always tidy and organized. Wait for shipment arrival to ensure that the box count was correct and on time. Walk throughout the store and make sure that all employees were taking proper meal breaks as scheduled. Go over the days events and news with each member of the staff and ensure everyone was up to date on sales and promotions.
Pros
friendly co-workers, room for growth
Cons
Questionable management, unfairness of how employees are treated, manner in which internal complaints were handled and sorted out
Fun Job, Not Much Advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 16, 2016
The job was fun and the people that I worked with were great, but the management wasn't too open to suggestions from associates and didn't always take our needs into consideration. The pay was decent but they only offer a ten percent discount on products. There is little oppurtunity for advancement, you have t wait a full six months to make any kind of change or move of your position. And you can only make one move, like moving from part-time to full time, then you have to wait another six months to move up to a lead or transfer somewhere else. It's a very slow process. They can also only change your pay if at your six month mark you're promoted or at your yearly evaluation.
Pros
Fun Co-Workers
Cons
Hard to Advance, Not the Best Managers
Horrible management, great coworkers
Sales Associate and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 26, 2015
The management here is pretty disorganized and always changing. its fairly easy to move around, as in gaining a different title, but raises and actual advancements are difficult to obtain. Scheduling is always an issue either to little people scheduled in general or people being scheduled outside of their availability. Both resulting in people not coming in and if you do show up you're forced to pick up the slack. However, you're bound to meet and work with some really nice people.
Pros
nice coworkers
Cons
disorganized managment
Fast, Paced Busy Atmosphere; a Good Stepping Stone Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 13, 2016
I enjoyed my tenure at Forever 21. I can't speak for all other locations, but at the West Side Pavilion location, I really enjoyed working with my coworkers and management. Every day was different, but always busy. One can get moved around from day-to-day, from cashier to fitting rooms or to door greeter to name a few. As a sales associate, one must always be friendly and helpful to patrons, as I always was.

Dress fashionable when working here, because this is a fast-fashion store, and shoppers are looking at you cool looks.

Discount on clothing are small.

The worst part of this job is when you have to encounter difficult customers causing a scene. This is not too common, but it happens.

This is a good part time job, but a little difficult to make a living out of.
Pros
Flexible hours, discount on clothing
Cons
Hardly any benefits
on the decline...
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 5, 2016
For a company that might have been on the uphill slope at one point, is now definitely on the decline, and it shows in the stores, on the website, and in the work culture.

Work slowed down to the point where the company recently had to make many layoffs, so job security is definitely not a thing you can enjoy while working there. Morale has been on the decline and most people leave after about 1-3 years, if they aren't laid off first.

There is a lot of poor management floating around. There are a lot of managers in there who do not even have a degree! Couldn't even finish college, but made their way up at F21. The approval processes are even worse. If you have any education, prior experience, or talent...look elsewhere.

Also, you only get 6 paid holidays a year, so if you enjoy Paid holidays, keep lookin.

If you enjoy walking 10-15 minutes to work, this might be your place!
The parking structure is fairly distant and inconvenient.

If you are FRESH out of high school or want a job where you will constantly feel frustrated and kept in the dark and feel like you are somewhat in a bad relationship that you cant get out of, then this might be your next place of employment.

I highly recommend that you either hit it and quit it (within 2 years) or steer clear all together. You deserve better.
Pros
some nice people, starbucks on location
Cons
salary, not many paid holidays, bad/undereducated management, the parking lot, bad approval and signature processes, mean people
Fun Work Place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Natick, MAFebruary 19, 2016
Coworkers are great people, fun work environment. Every day is different based on the customers wants and needs. Hardest part of the job is learning the store layout and the product line we carry. I have learned how to be a independent successful worker in my area of retail in Forever 21. The most enjoyable part of my job is doing various projects to advance the stores appearance and to make the customer experience easier/fun when shopping in our store. Management is not that great based on their lack of communication with one another and it seems impossible to advance from one position to another unless you have prior manager experience which is what I lack as an associate. They pay well for retail, hours are always available the majority of the year, and I enjoy what I do! Even though I would love to be moved up to be able to do more for the store, a company with high expectations is a company with hope for the future.
Pros
hours, pay and people
Cons
lack of management skills, communication and opportunity for advancement within the company
Productive and High Traffic Work Place
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 26, 2016
Its all different types of Customers and Employees in and out everyday. Management works great as a team always considers promotion. There's new co-workers every week . The Hardest part of the job is cleaning up a 4 story flag ship store. The Most enjoyable part of the day is when we have reached our Target for the day. I learned how to say a couples of sentences in several different lauguages from the tourists customers and some employees as well
Pros
short breaks on the house, Sick Pay, Holiday Pay
Cons
Health Care, Education, Vacational Pay
Fun place to work with creative outlet
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIFebruary 19, 2016
Forever 21 has a great young vibe to the store. A typical day at work you are able to put outfits together for customers using your style. Also, partaking in customer service skills; cashiering, helping people find items with your product knowledge, and greeting customers and thanking customers as they come and go throughout the store. The management team are great leaders and team players along with the co-workers. The hardest part of the job is trying to meet sale goals on slower days. This is where we try to up sell or have customers add on to their purchases. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to be creative with putting outfits together, and being able to have one on one time with customers to understand what they really what. Also, Being able to decide whether you want to work the weekends or not is a big plus, Family get togethers are always on the weekend and I like not having to miss them and the management being very understanding.
Pros
10 minute paid break. Great environment, Creative outlet
Cons
Part-time, no benefits
Fast paced; decent co-workers and managers; raises are rare though
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 16, 2015
typical days are somewhat busy, but only cause of shortage of coverage on sales floor. I did get register trained, but I learned more from my own experiences rather than from my training. The management is half-ways okay, not great at communication though. Co-workers are enjoyable to work with making the work place better. The hardest part is finding items for customers, but at times isn't too bad either.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
short breaks, rare pay raises, non-flexible with availbility changes
Not bad for a first gig sort of thing
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Willow Grove, PADecember 24, 2015
I began work at Forever 21 while I was fairly young. all-in-all it was a pretty fun time. i got to enjoy a pretty easy going job with friends both old and new.

Should be noted though that this is innately a job you should only look into for casual employment. Sad to say it but the idea of advancement with the company is sort of pipe dream unless you have the right friend in upper management to give you that little extra push you need.

I can only really recommend it to parents who want to get their kids a means of paying their own cell phone bill and lighten the load on the family plan a bit.
Pros
flexible hours, fairly simple job tasks
Cons
few hours available for full time employment, little if any advancement opportunity.
Store, assistant visual manager
Manager of Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Greater Los Angeles AreaNovember 17, 2015
Only positive thing about this company is the offered benefits and my fellow employees were great to work with. Overall don't expect to get paid very much. When associates were promoted to leads (basically assistant manager type position) they still made minimum wage. The company took away a lot of positions which forced the visual team to have to do everything and could no longer focus on the visual part of the job. If you love visuals DO NOT WORK HERE! If you are just looking for a part time job and have a strong back bone yes it's the job for you if you don't mind working until 3am every closing shift. The discount is only 10%, the company is still privately owned by a family and is always coming up with anything they can to keep money in their own pockets (promoted associates to management working on minimum wage). The turnover rate is 50%. All the rumors are true, it's a miserable company to work for, I stayed 1.5 years and never met anyone who liked working for this company. For everyone it was just a job until they find something else.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
little discount, no raises, low salary, long shifts
Productive, fun...
sales associate (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaDecember 5, 2015
I love working at Forever 21...having a second job and a husband that works makes it easier financially to work here but if it was my primary job I couldnt survive....the pay is extremely low....but I love fashion and I am a people person....if the pay was higher and benefits were offered I could see myself with this company for a long time. My management team is fair and fun to be around. Something should be done to increase pay....I know if I can't survive on it here in SC the associates in places like NYC cannot possibly survive....but the with coworkers like mine and being in an affordable fashion environment makes it bearable....
Pros
Front seat to fashion, coworkers, and the ability to help different people daily.
Cons
Extremely low pay, no benefits for regular associates, and no guaranteed hours.
Great place to work, if you're trying to make money in high school
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Woodfield Mall, Schaumburg, ILFebruary 28, 2016
Great friendly co-workers.

Management was pretty cool and helpful.

Job was easy, just a lot of work.

No benefits, because it's mainly part-time.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
No advancement
May have some work to do in the area of employee treatment.
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Brea, CANovember 4, 2015
I enjoyed working for this company for the short time I was there. There were a lot of issue with employee treatment and benefits. The opportunity for advancement seemed more focused on a persons outward appearance rather than their love for or knowledge of the company. It was a younger company when I was employed there but I am sure it has grown in employee treatment since then.
Pros
Fashion knowledge
Cons
Benefits, management