Forever 21 Employee Reviews

Found 1,881 reviews matching the search
Poor ethics overall. Favoritism, biases, cut-throating
Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Hudson Valley, NYApril 29, 2014
The job on the surface was very fun, cool clothes, nice people for the most part but the upper management styles are in need of a major overhall. I was an ASM a Hudson Valley location for almost seven months. I excelled at LP and trained the staff on various performance issues. The biggest downfall was the checks and balances of the store manager employed. She had admitted to the whole store that her and the DM had lived together, were 'besties', in each others weddings, went on vacation with each other and she presented it to the staff in a way of, 'If you guys try to complain about me, my best friend will tell me who it was so if you want to keep your job, you need to learn to kiss my butt to my satisfaction.' She was obsessed with calling herself the 'Store Manager'. She would tell employees that have worked there for years, You need to listen to me because I'm the STORE MANAGER. The SM started to become irritated with my work ethic of keeping the business needs ahead of personal gain, the opposite of how she worked. I reached out to HR after a letter she wrote to the whole store as if she was Mrs. Forever 21, stating that she thinks people were snooping in her files and explaining that if anyone was dissatisfied about their schedule to remember their place and that the STORE MANAGER will not tolerate any discussion on the matter. (The SM schedule was made by SMs and approved by DMs, see the fairness in this particular situation?) She put on the bottom of the document (that was not company approved) that if any discussion of this document after it was signed, it would result  more... in documentation. She did end up getting scolded for the document and that meant taking it out on me since I was the one that didn't sign the document. She began to personally seek me out, giving me a documentation for a screw up she made. I had a Drs note for a back issue and could not work a floorset overnight. She told me to ask a co-worker if they could take my overnight and I would take that co-workers 12-8 shift on the following Monday. I wrote this time down specifically because I wrote it on my notebook outside the Drs office. Monday morning comes and I get a call of, 'This is .... your STORE MANAGER, you were supposed to be in a 11 today, where are you?" I told her she had told me 12 and that I had proof of that. She wrote me up and gave me a written warning for her screw up.
She also had her favorites and listened to an employee that desperately wanted my job. He lied about talking with a co-worker about work related matters for a short ten minutes and he presented that to the SM as time fraud. I was given an automatic final written warning. Then the SM coached the employee by saying to call HR if he thought I was treating him differently, retaliating. Of course anything for this pathetic person to get my job. He called and that put a mark on my record by an HR woman whom the SM lied to about various matters. Making up eye-rolling and placing something on a desk in a certain way. She loaded up my file with HR and I never knew of them until just before the end. She then went in my locker and snooped without searching everyone elses and with no reason. I told the DM about these occurances and was assured that I could trust her and that they aren't friends like that. I got fired after an honest mistake (still not sure if I actually made the mistake because I didn't get a chance for someone to check cameras on it). This company allows personal relations on corporate level and it makes for a cut-throat business, with absolutely poor work ethics. Do not recommend
Pros
mostly nice people, hard workers, great music to listen to
Cons
this sm/dm dynamic they allowed to happen
Lakeside Mall location is a revolving door.
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MINovember 17, 2013
Typical day at work included recovery of sales floor, counting deposits and petty cash, ringing up customer purchases, possible projects from accessories manager and/or visual team. Also, I did training and job shadowing regarding shipment, fitting room and register procedures.

Overall, I learned a lot about how a retail business works and was given opportunity to display leadership through the training of employees. I worked here while juggling a full-time school schedule as a college student and research lab assistant at my university and the company was very flexible regarding my changing availability. I started off as a sales associate making more than minimum wage and was promoted to a head cashier position where I consistently worked 30+ hours/week, which was good money for someone working in retail part-time.

At the same time, I also saw the negative effects of bad employee morale, bad management and do-nothing people in corporate.

I was told that I was not good enough to be a manager. Despite the fact that the majority of management in this location regularly showed up late, left the training of employees to cashiers and sales associates (like myself), hired their friends, displayed poor communication to employees and showed rampant favoritism.

Management in this location is (mostly) unprofessional. The best managers I had in this location are either routinely given the worst working conditions or leave due to problems with the current store manager and/or the past district manager who did absolutely nothing to improve the condition of this district (especially this
  more... location).

This is a company that will exploit you. I never received a promotional raise when promoted from sales associate to head cashier position, my performance evaluations (which were necessary for me to receive raises) were always filed late and management failed to communicate to me when the company opted to change twice/year raises to once/year until months after my performance evaluation was supposed to be submitted.

Employee discounts were only 10% which covered barely more than sales tax in the state of Michigan and this location frequently violated labor laws regarding mandatory breaks for employees.

The last year that I worked for this company I worked under a store manager who displayed blatant racism that forced an assistant manager to be fired and human resources did nothing about a report I filed regarding the lack of professionalism and discrimination I witnessed in the workplace.

The current store manager does everything she can to avoid doing any real work when she is there, has been caught by an employee doing time clock fraud (changing hours of sales associates to pay them less money), violates OSHA laws (poor cleanliness and safety precautions--employees and customers have been injured on poorly placed shelving and fixtures), violates company policies and expects employees to cater to her wants and needs. In any other workplace, she would've been fired. But, corporate at this company has done nothing to investigate.

This became one of the most unprofessional companies that I have ever worked for. I wouldn't be surprised if this location closes within the next year or two.
Pros
good work-school balance, flexible schedule, leadership experience
Cons
benefits, compensation, management, cleanliness, safety
Not a fun place
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 15, 2013
When i started it was crazy cause we just opened that year, it was crazy busy but fun cause everyone worked as a team even though people came and went. the manager knew what they were doing at the time. Now a days its not fun, everything is drama drama drama espeically when someone started working about last year i think, she is a two face one day is likes you the other she hates you, you pretty much have to do what she saids or she will hate you and not speak to you even thought your doing a good job if you dont go out with her i mean out side of work she doesnt like you and shes always on her phone either on twitter, facebook, or calling her man, she doesnt care for the company polices,shes rude to customers like talks back at them, there is more. my visual boss was amazing until she changed and pretty much didnt do anything, she doesnt stand up for her team knowing that we wouldnt do like just stand around or do nothing. she acused me of filling wrong thats when i had enough cause knowing how she is i know she likes everything perfect and i do my best fill right i know focal fixtures has to be at stander but if the room is full i do put more clothes on to the non focal fixtures but never the focal, store is huge plus most of the time we cant fill cause the room is too packed and customer complain that the store is to full its hard to shop i dont disagree with them its true, thats why i put in my two weeks in i had enough but then when i came back to work they fired me for thinking i hated all of the managers i dont just two but before that the DM knew i was not like it anymore  more... it help talking to her even though she said that our conversation was privite it wasnt thats what tick me off to. i did my job and those two week i was push my self to help them make the week. I was gonna put my two weeks when the other two visual did but i didnt wanna be mean to my boss cause i knew her pretty much when i started and i know that wouldnt be fair to her so i waited until she had a new crew but she did me wrong after what i did for her. their are good mangagers there like the co. she works way too hard more then the other shes amazing thats why i respect her. the other are awesome they work but need to boost that up more. stock manager is awesome she works just as hard always running around trying to do everything out on the floor or in the back helping her team out. i talked to some of the employees some think that they arn't being treat fair i understand i wish i could help but all i can say you desever better find another job that will treat you right or go to HR not like they are gonna do anything. what i did was visual work trying to make the store look presentable which was fun but not as well if the visual manager didnt like it she will fix it her self to me it made me feel like i suck or im not good enough not like visual distric manager she will explain no i feel it doesnt go with the color story or the girl try again she will help us by explaining the girl more or different textures to the clothes and she wont pick out the peice she will she what we pick out and tell us thats better instead of her picking it out. i really liked her she was cool, but thats how forever 21 is now a days maybe one day it will be better but now that i dont work there im stress free and feel happy again.  less
Pros
fun employees
Cons
two managers
OK company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 3, 2016
The company is okay. I had an awful experience working here just because of the people I worked with but I'll try to keep that out of the actual job review. This company is great for anyone looking to pursue visual merchandising. Not only is there plenty of job openings for it because of how big Forever 21 stores are, but they give you so much freedom and really let you be creative with merchandising outfits, mannequins, walls, etc. They are very open with dress code as well. You can wear whatever you want except if it has large brand names on it and even then they don't care too much. However, the actual company is very cheap. Everyone including management gets 10% employee discount.. Which by the way is the exact same discount for customers if they have a damaged item or a complaint or anything really. A lot of people make the argument, "well all the stuff is really cheap" which is true but most people work retail for the discounts. Don't waste your time or money. They don't provide any incentive to make you want to stay so the turn over rate for this company is ridiculous especially for associates. Don't even get me started on the return policy and how many times I've had to deal with an upset customer and try to figure out a way to bring them back into the store and continue business with us. They are very flexible with your schedule and availability because they have so many people that can work so that's a plus. I really did like that I didn't have to work weekends if I didn't want to which is rare for retail. Also if you work two jobs they will work with you so that's  more... a plus as well. This is a great company to start in if you don't have any work experience or retail experience. There's not much room to grow in this company though. Management spots are limited and if you join a store like the one I'm from the same people have been in the same position for 3+ years so if you're looking to grow this isn't the company for you. They pay minimum wage and after a year you get a pay increase based on an evaluation. The most you can get is a $0.20 raise YEARLY. That's all I really have to say about the company with out getting into too much detail about the people I had to work for. I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone and I surely will never work here again.  less
Pros
Merchandising creativity, flexible work schedules
Cons
Cheap company, associate turn over rate too high, unrealistic expectations, low pay, no benefits, 10% discount
Stay far, far away
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCFebruary 6, 2013
This is by far the worst company I have ever worked for in my entire life. Not only did they string me along for an entire year with empty promises of a promotion and more hours that they never followed through on, the management is clueless and does not know the talent that lies right underneath their noses. The shoplifting in the store was out of control, and nobody seemed to care or notice, as most of the employees have no experience or training in recognizing such experienced shoplifters. When I brought all of these things to management's attention, they did little to nothing to better the situation, which only further proved to me that they cared little about bettering the company and only cared about cutting corners, hiring inexperienced people that they could pay as little as possible, all the while giving themselves as many hours as they could so they could reap all of the benefits. My co-workers were sweet, for the most part, albeit completely clueless in regard to fashion and what it takes to run a successful company. As everyone knows, the customers were, for the most part, intolerable and rude and never appreciated or understood the exchange policy, which is admittedly awful and less than desirable from a consumer point of view. The hardest part of the job was being walked all over and having no legs to stand on when it came to asking for explanations as to why certain people who were less qualified for the position were promoted while others who were experienced and more qualified were overlooked for all kinds of positions that, if given to them, would have made  more... a more positive difference in the company as a whole in the long run. As most of the curerent and former employees know, the employee discount was laughable at only 10%, and at times it seems as though the customer got a better deal than the actual employees, which was still not a very good deal to begin with. The most enjoyable part of the job was probably seeing the new trends in fashions come and go, although the fashions were cheap and of very poor quality, you get what you pay for, and as the clothing was pretty inexpensive, it was fair to assume that you weren't getting very much for the cheaply priced articles of clothing you were purchasing.  less
Pros
i would have to think very long and hard about this, as the list is very short.
Cons
too many to list.
I was given a chance to grow in the management field.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Yorktown Heights, NYAugust 23, 2013
My day would include:
Managing my sales team which was usually two rotating shifts of associates.
Zone out associates according to their strengths and weaknesses to properly and effectively cover the sales floor, fitting room, and cash registers.
Set up interviews and hire new associates, train them for the companies policies and procedures and duties they would be performing on a daily and semi daily basis.
Correctly check in inventory on a daily basis and follow through that the stock room was organized in a FIFO manner.
Communicate with the visual team to consistently meet the companies directives each week.
Meet with and proactively carry out our district managers tasks.
Carry out company floorsets once a month which included two overnight shifts to move the entire store around.

My assistant managers were all part time and going to school so they lacked the drive I had to really take on a manager roll. When things went a little bit out of the ordinary they always called me to ask what to do. If someone called out of work and they were left with only three closers they would panic and ask me what to do. When it would happen to me I would be upset with the situation but took on the role as another associate on the sales floor to assist my employees with the extra work.
I learned from this job that it pays to lead by example and if you expect something done properly train your employees so they can do the job effectively and give them all the tools they need to execute it.
The hardest part of the job was the gossip between sales associates and management even though I didn't
  more... par-take others allowed it and even my district manager par-took in it so I was the only one standing on a limb trying to maintain order.

I function with my own rules and expectations and will follow the policies and procedures to a tee but when other are not on the same page it makes it difficult to have consistency
Pros
i learned a lot about management that i will carry with me for life
Cons
poor benefits, lack of professionalism with upper management, inappropriate behavior was never addressed head on
Great learning experience, but limited opportunity for advancement.
Accessory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rockaway, NJDecember 11, 2012
I learned a lot about accessories, merchandising and the sense of urgency at this job. For about a year of the job I worked for the accessory specialist. I learned what to do and what not to do when it came to cleaning, organizing and replenishing the accessories at the store. It was a two person department and that was working out well. Everything ran smoothly. However, after the Accessory Specialist left on maternity leave and decided not to return after the baby, I was promoted to Accessory Specialist of the store. I was excited and determined to do great things. For 7 months now, I have been working a 2 person department by myself. Whenever I get assistance which I have to ask for it, it only lasts for about an hour. Management doesn't provide positive feedback, only negative such as complaining my accessory boxes are on the floor and crowding the cashier area. Managment talks down to you and couldn't care less if you are overwhelmed.

When I was told by previous management I was promoted in September, I was given a raise. Since that time, it was supposed to begin the start of your full-time position which should have started the three month wait for benefits. New management came onboard in October and advised they didn't know of my promotion. They have begun the process of my promotion again. It is now December and I won't hear about whether they accepted or declined my promotion for full-time status and benefits until after the busy Christmas season is over. I have had full-time hours every week since July and I am still treated and paid like a part-time employee.

The
  more... hardest part about this job is multi-tasking and finding what task is most important. My co-workers are exquisite people and highly experienced. Overall, I have learned a great deal about retail and merchandising and even though the "promotion" issue is unprofessional in my opinion, it has taught me to be more assertive to plan my future advancement accordingly.  less
Pros
the experience i have gained from this job.
Cons
mixed messages from superiors; unprofessional management
Productive fast past environment
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CANovember 11, 2013
During my time at Forever 21 I started off as just sales associate, then moved up within a month to shift leader. I enjoyed this job very much because it was a fast paced environment so it always kept me busy. The customers were great that was one of the other things that I enjoyed because I had regular customers that would come in to ask for me help or even just to say hi. It made the day go by so much faster because of those many customers that I had the chance to help. On a day to day basis when I start my shift, I always made sure the sections of the store was clean, no clothes on the floor, making sure all customer needs were met and of course promoting sales to reach the sales goals/quota for the day.
My co-workers there were also great because we all understood what needed to be done and we worked together as a team even if we had to stay after hours to get the store completely stocked for the next day, no one ever complained. I learned a lot from this experience because not only did I started of from being a sales associate to a shift leader, I also had the chance to work with the visual team and from that I learn how to merchandise the store. I worked in many departments while working at Forever 21, I think that hardest part for me was the hours. The hours weren't so flexible, which isn't a big deal, but if I had a family emergency and needed to request a day off it was always a big issue with the management. That's what made it hard to work there other then that work was great. Management wasn't so great there just because everything was so disorganized. There wasn't
  more... a lot of communication between the managers and the rest of us who pick all the slack, that made hard also because of lack of communication. That was one of the reason why I left even though I really enjoyed working there.
Overall this experience at Forever 21 taught me a lot about myself, the people I worked with and more importantly being able to communicate and build a strong relationship with our customers.
Pros
great customers, fast paced, opportunities to grow, strong co-workers
Cons
no flexible hours, disorganized, no benefits
Forever 21
Forever 21, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 27, 2015
Forever 21 is great great clothing line. I love the styles and variety, but they could use some work on the quality. My typicality day would consist of clocking in then going to do a employee check in with the manager who was working that day. During the check in we would go through anything that had changed or things that we needed to promote/sale, then we would all separate and go on about our daily duties. The management was good most of time. I personally had some bad experiences with one of the supervisors who also took the side of the person that she favored no matter the situation. The other 4 supervisors were great and I enjoyed the friendship we had. The hardest part of the job would be the busy busy days like spring break or right before the Christmas holiday. I was a minor at the time I was working for them and they ALWAYS kept me past the time that the child labor law permits. I once had a shift that was from 4-10...I ended up staying still 5:30am taking care of go-backs. Also I found that management really does not care about any plans that you have made for your personal life, but they do care about their own... For new Years we were kept passed midnight until 2am while the rest of management went off with friends. Also they played the same exact song album EVERY SINGLE DAY. The most enjoyable part of the job for me would have to be when I was helping the Visuals. They are in charge of floor-sets and making the mannequins look great! The days that they would ask me to assist them were the best days that I had there. I liked MOST of my co-workers and I actually  more... met my best friend working there. There was SO much drama that went on including a really big personal thing of mine that spread through the store like wildfire and for a few weeks going to work was like HE- double hockey sticks. Although it seems as if my time there was mostly negative, I did have some amazing and extremely fun days as well. If you like drama and gossip and fashion then Forever 21 is the place for you, if not then I suggest you apply somewhere else.  less
Pros
Free luches, discounts
Cons
Drama, favoritism, annoying music
A Fast-paced, high-volume trend setter
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAAugust 3, 2013
I have learned so much from working at Forever 21 and I am very thankful for that. Like every job, there were ups and downs, but overall my experience there was quite enjoyable. I met so many amazing people through out the years and I have memories I will never forget. A typical day at work would consist of gathering with my visual team, and management team, to discuss any upcoming promotions or updates, and figure out a plan of action to complete our daily tasks efficiently and as quickly as possible. There were always things to be done in the store and there was never any time to waste. At times it seemed there weren't enough hours in the day to be able to complete all the work, but we always managed to succeed because we were dedicated and worked hard as a team. Some tasks would include stocking the sales floor, re-styling mannequins and placing the appropriate garnets close by so they were easily accessible to customers who liked the outfits, merchandising tables, fixtures, and walls, and setting up promotions or sale launches. I can not forget to mention customer service, which was always the main focus among our entire staff. We were taught that through quality customer service we can "add on" items that a customer might like to purchase and that would increase revenue, and we could make the customer aware of us which could potentially decrease the chances of theft occurring. Most importantly, we strived to make each customer's experience at our store a great one so they would come back again. I really loved this job because I felt like I was able to create art through  more... clothing and thats something I am very passionate about. I was hoping to progress to the next phase of my career at Forever 21, but unfortunately the opportunity for growth was limited.  less
Pros
creative outlet, friendly co-workers, great customer interaction, large variety of apparel
Cons
understaffed, lack of proper merchandise, miscommunication among team members.
Fashion forward, fastpace and exciting work enviroment
Cashier- Head Cashier- Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Natick, MAAugust 13, 2012
Everyday is something new depending on the business. Sometimes I have time to block off an hour or so in order to work on my DOR. I MOD (manager on duty) from 2-3 hours maybe more on my shift. I have a set target of sales I need to reach and maintain control of the Sales floor and customer servicing. I over see about an average of 30 employees through out the day on weekdays on weekends its about 35. Im in charge of LP (loss prevention) so I am checking on my employees to see if they are following the procedures when it comes to using a recovery statement, and checking customers in the fitting room. I constantly check on our documents to make sure they are filled out correctly and maintained confidential. My Management team is very diverse when it comes to style. We all have our ways on how we do our jobs. I love this about our team because we can relate to our customers assist them better. I have grown so much with this company, I have learned not to take my job so seriously and have fun and think outside the box. Im not afraid of speaking out in the meetings and providing ideas and creating beautiful boards with my team in order to motivate and inspire my employees as well as reconizing them for their hard work.
The hardest part of my job is keeping my employees late to recover the store, as late as 3am. This is the only thing that is hard for me to do, because we have to leave the store by visual standards.
The most enjoyable part of my job is all the relationships I have built through out the years with my co workers. I have friends that no longer work with the company.
  more... As well as my customers, I have customers that know me by name and always come in to shop, and look for me. I enjoy putting a smile on my customers face, and I try to do my best even when they are not happy with the return policy.  less
Pros
quarterly bonus if we make our monthly goals
Cons
breaks, benefits, availability for growth
The Rise & Fall of Working at a Retail Store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 9, 2014
When I began working at Forever 21, everything went smoothly, everyone was productive, and everyone was friendly. I was a greeter so I met plenty of people. I loved helping people with finding fashion for whatever they wanted to accomplish. Some of management was effective & productive in executing the order of business. The managers that were great at execution set a standard for the employees to do their best and the store flourished. The store was opened & closed at a reasonable time at first. Since the top managers were doing their job exceptionally well, my coworkers and I made sure that we were doing exceptionally well at what we did. Since everything was going great, my coworkers and I actually received great hours by one of the top managers. A couple of the managers eventually left and the store began to plummet. The store's progress was diminishing and the reports showed it every month. Some of my coworkers were quitting at steady numbers every month once a couple of the managers left. We were at the store later than usual, meaning after hours closing the store. The store wasn't as clean & organized as it was when I first began working there. The favoritism began to become more apparent. Some coworkers received more hours just because they were liked more. There was no room to grow and develop in the company. The managers weren't upholding their end of the progress of the store, so neither did the majority of my coworkers. Rules were being abandoned. I learned that it takes exceptional work at the top of a company in order for the company to flourish. I learned how  more... important communication, organization, and customer service is to a company. I also learned that everyone must be treated equally. If these attributes are practiced and in order, the company will flourish.  less
Pros
games & giveaways
Cons
horrible days & hours, favoritism, none to few benefits
Worked for one day
sales (Former Employee) –  troy,miAugust 27, 2014
So I was so excited when I got the job at F21 I love the store and thought it would be a great work environment. I just had my orientation day today and I couldn't get out of that store fast enough. I arrived only ten mins early and got scolded for being early. Guess I should have been late instead. Then I had to stand around up front and wait to be told what to do while the manager and other co workers bsed around and talked. Finally after about 30mins I was paired with two girls to do go backs in the dressing room. They explained to me the go back system and the mapping of the store very briefly. So basically the store is split into like 10-12 different sections. And the only way to know what does where is to basically guess by color,pattern,frillyness,design,etc. There are girls who have been there for years who still don't know the system. So after attempting to sort clothes for over an hr. We finally had a rack to go back then as the two other girls went on there ways I was left to fund for myself. And god forbid I ask another employee where something went on my first day because they would snap and be rude like I should know. The manager only asked me how it was going once. Didn't tell me anything about the job at all. Then at 12 another manager came in and didn't even bother greeting me. No other employee's bothered to make my acquaintance and just starred or gave me nasty looks. I was so happy when my shift was up. All in all the store is an unorganized trying to be organized mess. Half the time the girls didn't find the item so they would just blend it with like colors  more... or patterns. This store was a joke and I am not going back for day two. I have applied at another company and am glad I did. F21 is a great place to shop but a terrible place to work.  less
Pros
get to look at cute clothes
Cons
rude co workers, no help, useless managers, only 10% employee discount, chaotic work environment, unorganized
Can't Make a Living
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  ChicagoOctober 6, 2014
This is by far the worst position I have ever held. I had a completely open availability all throughout the week, mornings, afternoons, weekends, etc. The assistant manager would only schedule me on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights for four hour shifts. With them paying the bare minimum for your hourly wage, that is practically nothing.

The stores are so disorganized and have no rhyme or reason. There would be constant floor changes every three weeks or so and would expect you to memorize the new floor plan. This becomes extremely difficult when you're only there about 12 hours a week.

The management never trained me as a cashier and only had me doing the fitting room after months of being there.

There is only a 10% discount on their already poorly made clothes. You as an employee can only buy items if your store manager is working, and he or she is the only one who can ring you out. This means if you decide to go to the store on your day off, regardless of which location you go to, you better hope the store manager is in if you want to buy something. Otherwise they won't allow it.

Loss Prevention is a joke, too. Management tells you to watch out for shoplifters, but you can't tell someone to put something away if they are blatantly stealing because it could be a liability on the company.

The best part was when I got my final paycheck. Forever 21 completely left off my last working week on my paycheck. I spent 6 weeks calling the store, calling the district manager, and calling the corporate office to demand for my wages. I finally had to threaten to call the Better Business
  more... Bureau and the State Labor Department to get my full paycheck issued to me.

What a waste of time working there.
Pros
coworkers were fun to work with
Cons
poor pay, dirty stores, untrained management, minimal hours
Great steping stone company
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJanuary 18, 2013
A typical day as a visual merchandiser at Forever 21 would be completing company sent updates. While doing this updates, I also push out newer product onto the sales floor. The surrounding interior mannequins would also get a face lift on their wardrobe. On Thursday, however, the exterior(window) mannequins get updated with the latest style.

What I learned from being with this company is that everything must be visually appealing. I have learned better visual merchandising standards with the company and I have also honed my merchandising skills.

Working with other merchandisers can be difficult because everybody has their own unique and creative ways. There is definitely a compromise that has to be met when working with seven other merchandisers. I learn and understand more merchandising along side working with them.

I would have to say the hardest part of my job is completing any update, whether it is a small shop update or a floorset, and knowing that the update you've just completed will not be staying that way. It is hard to complete something and set it so beautifully that others want to shop it. It's a great thing that customers are shopping but at the same time it's difficult because of all the time and visual ideas that were spent on completing an update or floorset.

The most enjoyable part of my job are the end results of everything that I complete. Mostly, the mannequins because styling is my passion. I believe a customer can truly tell the difference and idea of each shop when the mannequins are styled to tell the story. Another enjoyable part of my job is selling
  more... an entire outfit on a mannequin to a lucky customer.  less
Pros
set schedule
Cons
short breaks, pto accumulation, health benefits
Disrespectful and frustrating work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 28, 2013
Overall working at Forever 21 was easy, but there were no benefits to the job. Discount is a mere 10% which ends up being a few cents after tax, but as employees we were expected to buy from the company and sell the "brand". It seemed as though it cost more money to work there, than was actually made. A starting sales associate is payed minimum wage with the promise that in a few months, that wage will be reevaluated, with the potential for a raise. Even after bringing up the evaluation to the manager, it was shrugged off and never brought up again. There is very little opportunity for advancement, and the security of, at least, a semi-consistent number of hours each pay period doesn't exist. There were weeks in which I wasn't scheduled a single day.
A typical work day at Forever 21 is simple, and not in the least bit stressful, however there is no sense of comradery between employees, and little positive communication with one another.
Management is basic. Some managers are better than others, but a majority of the time, they can be found standing around, chatting with one another, and talking about their personal lives. Some have acted in a very condescending a rude fashion towards myself and other employees. However, the majority are tolerable. Overall, if you are looking for a simple low-stress job, to make an extra few dollars a week, this could be a good place to work. However, if you have any desire for a long-term position, benefits, or a positive and respectful work environment, I highly suggest staying far away.
Pros
scheduled in and out time, short shifts, simple work
Cons
poor management, no possibility for benefits, low pay, irregular hours
one of the worste places ever but if you can survive here you can survive anywhere I guess.
Head cashier (Former Employee) –  chicago landApril 17, 2015
So where to begin. You do learn a lot but most of the time you will have to figure stuff out on your own. There is absolutely no training if anything they shove papers at you and expect you to remember everything right away. Management was never on the same page we went through god knows how many managers some good some just terrible to the point I would have to do their job for them and not be compensated for the work. The teens they higher are lazy and hold no standards. My store was really dirty I bet if you swipe your finger on a wall your finger would turn black from all the dust. I fortuantly had the opportunity to move up and become a head cashier I loved it until I realized I was on my own and the best advice a manager told me was to not stress and that is how I survived for over 1.5 years there. Working there was not easy you deal with a lot of gissip, drama, and alot of unprofessionalism. Tons of schedule mistakes were made and if you dare tell a manager you were met with an unhelpful aditude. Extremely LONG hours my location closed its doors at 10 pm which meant recovery and go backs would take up to 12-1am so kiss weekends goodbye and for the low pay rate its aweful. I along with others were treated so unfair when we were the real hard workers. It was just a really unappraciative place just go and ask a current employee how they like working there and I'm sure they will take a moment to answer to try and make it not sound so bad but it is.
Pros
learn to think fast on your feet, meet some of the best people ever
Cons
enviornment, long hours, no weekends off, poor pay, standard, just everything
Upbeat fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTJanuary 20, 2014
As a sales associate at Forever 21 my main responsibility was to help customers around the store to find what they are looking for, then helping them purchase their items at the register.
I also helped to maintain a safe and clean environment by making sure clothes were put away on the floor as well as in the fitting rooms.
I Helped train new employees and make sure they knew their way around the store and understood how to accomplish their responsibilities. While performing these responsibilities it helped our store build clientele and making higher profits throughout the day. It also helped me learn how to use time efficiently and become an outstanding employee.

I learned a lot about organization and staying on my toes. Forever 21 is a big department store and I always needed to be sure that I knew where everything was and being able to get the things done that needed to be done. I also learned a lot about teamwork. Working in such a big store requires all of the employees to work together. Whether it was helping a customer, or cleaning up after closing.

The hardest part of the job for me was staying on one task at a time. I would find myself starting a task and then ending up doing three other things before I was able to finish. Of course it was just part of the job.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being so involved with our customers on the floor. I loved being able to help others find what they were looking for and building a relationship with everyone who came into the store, making sure they had the best experience possible.
Pros
great co workers, great hours
Cons
managment
Complex, Always work to do type of job
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GASeptember 9, 2014
A typical day at work; I come in have a quick run down with my visual manager about what we have in store to do today and how the day before went if i wasn't there. We put new merchandise out daily; filling the store, while doing so we merchandise them. Place clothes in places we think would best help that item sell. Also, check emails daily looking for any updates, launches, promotions, or markdowns that may have dropped. I've learned how to manage my time better as well as being detailed and efficient in what needs to be done. The only thing about being a Merchandiser, we have many responsibilities and duties that need to be done daily within our shift. That being said, you would think management would be more supportive, helpful, or even appreciative, but they're not. Management, instead of being involved in what's going on in their store, they would rather throw the work on you and expect it to be done with little to no support or appreciation. CoWorkers, some, are excellent. We are all hard working and eager to work as a team to get the job done and have our store looking and running at top performance. All employees at my location just wish for a more appreciative, helpful, motivating management team. I enjoy working with clothes being that I love fashion. Putting outfits together, merchandising and seeing the merchandise sell makes you feel you have done your job in helping the company succeed.
Pros
my work schedule, learning experience, fashion, and meeting new people daily.
Cons
management that doesn't believe in teamwork, last minute schedule changes, and onsie items
Great place for a starting career but not a place to stay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie NYJune 28, 2015
My first day at work was very exciting. I was extremely happy to be working at one of the leading fashion companies. I was ready to make F21 my career for several years. I learned a great amount of management skill and retail skills working at the company. My manager was amazing within three months I was promoted to head cashier. Within three months of that I was again promoted to Assistant manager. I loved the job at first but the District Store Manager changed and sadly, so did the company. The manager that promoted me left the company due to issues with the new DM. The new DM was not helpful and extremely rude. For 8 months the newly promoted Co-Manager and I ran the store extremely well but with no help from other stores. I was a new ASM and would get no help from upper management accept to hear that I should already know how to handle a situation. The co-workers were very nice but after I was promoted they became 'gossipy' and the environment began to feel like high school. When I would bring up any issues with the employees, the new SM and DM would do nothing to help me resolve these issues. Sadly I left the company earlier than I would've hoped to. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the visual team. I loved helping with floor set and setting up mannequins. On a few separate occasions I tired to change departments from management to visual but was ignored. No wonder the turn over rate is so high.
Pros
great music, cheap clothing, and fun atmosphere
Cons
poor corporate management, little to no compensation for going above and beyond