Fort Walton Beach Medical Center

Fort Walton Beach Medical Center Employee Reviews

great place to work
Critical Care Nurse (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLOctober 2, 2016
Great place to work and to gain the experience needed to be a great nurse. gained great critical thinking skills. The drive isnt bad to work at this hospital as in traffic.
Pros
everything is great
Cons
nights
Great improvements with new leadership team
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLAugust 25, 2016
They do a lot of activities for their employees, more than most companies. Good opportunity for growth and advancement with in HCA. Salary ranges are a little low but comparable to this area.
Hca
RN (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLAugust 24, 2016
A cheap company for employees, expensive company for customers/patient's. The company is only interested in the bottom dollar, not unlike other large companies.

Pros: I enjoy the staff attitudes and cohesiveness, working as a team. I relate this to the hiring management in choosing quality employees.

Cons: terrible pay and poor benefits, that's how it is in north florida and surrounding regions. Employees are expendable. increase workload per nurse as time progresses, perks and benefits previously provided by company have been removed bit by bit as years go by. This is a deadend job, limited growth for the employees.
Working with the doctors are wonderful. Willing to share their wealth of knowledge.
Pathology Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJune 30, 2016
Co-workers are nice. Management is very distant and unapproachable. It's enjoyable to work with the doctors. On a typical day, I get to transcribe the doctor's dictation and take the reports to them for review. I fix any corrections or additions that are requested from the doctors. Once he signs them, I fax the reports to the various physicians. Then I type up the grosses for the next day and put it on the physician's desk for the next day's reading. If a consult comes back it is "loaded" onto the report and faxed to the patient's physician.
Pros
401k plan, healthcare benefits
Cons
Admin is very uncaring. Human Resources - call a number.
Great people to work with and to work for.
Telemetry and EKG Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJune 28, 2016
My typical day was very demanding. Everyone I worked with are really great people and most go above and beyond their requirements. The hardest part of the job was having double the work load, in my field, compared to all other hospitals. The Joint Commission were concerned with the work load as well. Overall, it was a great place to work and learned a lot.
Pros
Learned a lot. Worked with amazing people.
Cons
Short breaks, sometimes none at all. 72 patients verse the normal load being 40.
Great Radiology Department
General Ultrasound Technologist (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJune 9, 2016
I loved working at FWBMC in the Sonography/Radiology Department. It is by far the best team I have had the pleasure of working with. If I wasn't moving, I would still be working there today. They have excellent dedication to patient care and are very detail orientated.
Not happy with management
RN (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FL 32547May 12, 2016
I like to work in an environment that fosters teamwork, high-morale,
and education. I felt extremely underpaid compared to RN friends
working in similar areas. I felt forced to stay late and pick up
mandatory time because we never had enough staff.Morale is low because I was never thanked or commended for hard work.
Its good culture. Good workplace environment.
Registered Nurse- Medical/ Surgical Floor (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLMarch 16, 2016
I like working at FWBMC. I love the people I work with. Also, I like the culture of the hospital, and the system. Overall, I love my job!
A great place to work.
Patient Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLOctober 25, 2015
Fun and relaxed place to work. I enjoy being here and learning new ways to present and serve meals. The Director and the Registered Dieticians are friendly and approachable.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Not alot of room to advance.
Fast Paced Environment
Registration Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLOctober 23, 2015
I am sure that it goes without saying how crazy the Emergency Room can get. Patient care is my passion and you really have to learn to multi task and have an eye for efficiency. There is no room to make any mistakes.
Pros
Interacting with patients
Cons
Witnessing a broken system.
Senior execs are HORRIBLE, unrealistic workloads, low pay
OBGYN RN (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLSeptember 28, 2015
I walked out the door after 27 years. For-profit hospital that is only concerned with making money. Employees are demeaned, disrespected, unappreciated, overworked. Staffing ratios are unrealistic. Nurses quit and aren't replaced, they just expect staff to work harder and longer shifts. Not nearly enough ancillary staff support. Every year the benefit package and merit raises got smaller. They cater to the weak and exploit the strong. As a patient, it was the worst experience EVER.
Pros
Not a single one
Cons
Short-Staffing, low salary, minimal benefits, serious lack of appreciation for hard work
Quality of care/Management
RN - Interventional Radiology (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLAugust 27, 2015
Fort Walton Beach is in dire need of caring staff and a total change in management.

Workers appear to be unhappy and uncaring. I have seen this both as a patient and employee.
Case load of 22 to 32 paitents.
Case Manager PRN (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLMay 27, 2015
Discharge planning on all patients, initial and concurrent reviews on all payors. Some co-workers not willing to help. Most difficult part of the job was the work load. Managers unwilling to assist, constant staffing issues. Managers/Director showed favoritism. Unprofessional environment.
Pros
Worked individually
Cons
Staffing/workload
The Best Job You'll Sometimes Hate
Cardiac Cath Lab Technologist (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLMay 4, 2015
A typical work day at Fort Walton Beach Medical Center is probably just like any other day at other cath labs. What makes this place enjoyable is the people that you work with. There's trust and togetherness that borders on being family. The senior administration personnel have our best interest at heart. Couple that with the ability to learn a whole new world of medicine that truly makes a difference, especially in the lives of our patients. You get job satisfaction and instant gratification all in one setting--especially when you respond to your first STEMI. Seeing a patient go from being on death's door to looking like the picture of perfect health in the wink of an eye is truly amazing. That is the most enjoyable part of the job--saving people's lives.
Pros
Being part of a family that saves lives
Cons
High stress, short lunches, no breaks, sometimes long work hours
Convent
Laboratory Assistant/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLFebruary 25, 2015
This facility provided me with a place to do a job that I LOVE. I would not have known much I enjoyed the job without FWBMC. I worked in a very busy department and we were often short staffed. I was in the Out Patient Lab Department and learned valuable information, that will be useful in most any job setting. My co-workers and I were like family, we were all very comfortable with one another. Having to balance the amount of time "patient a" needs with the amount of time "patient b needs" was hard for me. Some people came and needed human contact, I tried to provide that, some wanted to come and go and I tried to provide that as well. Without a doubt, and with no thought at all, patient contact and care, is by far my favorite part of the job! I was responsible for quite a bit of clerical work, and I thoroughly enjoyed that as well.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
short lunch breaks, although they say open door policy...it is NOT
Preceptor experience while in school
Nursing Precepting (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLFebruary 7, 2015
I was able to attend 6 weeks of preceptor on the Oncology floor at FWBMC prior to my graduation. The management and staff were amazing to work with and I enjoyed the opportunity.
productive fun environment
patient care tech (Current Employee) –  fort walton beach, floridaApril 16, 2014
very nice environment. very good nurses, just needs more employees .
Exciting and enjoyable
Physician when need (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLMarch 17, 2014
The typical work place that I've personally work are fast pace, friendly, organized, working together and safe. I learned in these types of jobs that will learn something new to learn, and I've learned on how to take on challenges and have a successful out come in watching and taking notes and stepping out of my comfort zone and just doing it. The management team is different experience meaning that everyone has an idea or opinion when asking about their management experience with their pass jobs. I feel that management is doing their job as what their expected to do, and that's signing the employees duties, and responsibilities for each member of the staff. The co- workers in customer service is great and we all can pretty much get along with everyone. The staff is like a family were someone is helping someone. Were, we're being there for each other and just work together to succeed and get the job done. The hardest part of my job is learning Heart Monitoring Tech. When I was a housekeeper, I wanted more and I knew that I needed to go to back to College to get an degree in nursing or radiography, but I knew that I want to challenge myself like taking a course at the hospital on basic cardiac erythema how to read heart rhythms and do EKG's while I wanted to go back to college to further my education in nursing or radiography. However, I did it and enjoyed the job because it was new and exciting, rewarding job I've done and I did it because I made it possible to do heart monitoring tech. I really and truly love the medical field that is why I am currently in college to finish  more... up and move on. In the meantime am looking for more while attending school.
Jennifer Pikhart
Pros
working enviroment, health insurance, paid days off ect...
Cons
no Cons
Great Employer
Therapeutic Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLMarch 16, 2014
After being originally hired back in October of 2008 I quickly realize the professional and family environment that was seen throughout the facility. It truly was an honor and privilege to be a part of such a great facility.
Benefits
Cons
Unprofessional staff
Medical records specialist
Medical Records (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLNovember 12, 2013
great benifits package , they are very helpful to employees to further there education. Lots of chances to promote

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fort Walton Beach Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Fort Walton Beach Medical Center Reviews by Location