Fort Walton Beach Medical Center

Fort Walton Beach Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Senior execs are HORRIBLE, unrealistic workloads, low pay
OBGYN RN (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLSeptember 28, 2015
I walked out the door after 27 years. For-profit hospital that is only concerned with making money. Employees are demeaned, disrespected, unappreciated, overworked. Staffing ratios are unrealistic. Nurses quit and aren't replaced, they just expect staff to work harder and longer shifts. Not nearly enough ancillary staff support. Every year the benefit package and merit raises got smaller. They cater to the weak and exploit the strong. As a patient, it was the worst experience EVER.
Pros
Not a single one
Cons
Short-Staffing, low salary, minimal benefits, serious lack of appreciation for hard work
Great people to work with and to work for.
Telemetry and EKG Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJune 28, 2016
My typical day was very demanding. Everyone I worked with are really great people and most go above and beyond their requirements. The hardest part of the job was having double the work load, in my field, compared to all other hospitals. The Joint Commission were concerned with the work load as well. Overall, it was a great place to work and learned a lot.
Pros
Learned a lot. Worked with amazing people.
Cons
Short breaks, sometimes none at all. 72 patients verse the normal load being 40.
Its good culture. Good workplace environment.
Registered Nurse- Medical/ Surgical Floor (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLMarch 16, 2016
I like working at FWBMC. I love the people I work with. Also, I like the culture of the hospital, and the system. Overall, I love my job!
Great Radiology Department
General Ultrasound Technologist (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJune 9, 2016
I loved working at FWBMC in the Sonography/Radiology Department. It is by far the best team I have had the pleasure of working with. If I wasn't moving, I would still be working there today. They have excellent dedication to patient care and are very detail orientated.
Not happy with management
RN (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FL 32547May 12, 2016
I like to work in an environment that fosters teamwork, high-morale,
and education. I felt extremely underpaid compared to RN friends
working in similar areas. I felt forced to stay late and pick up
mandatory time because we never had enough staff.Morale is low because I was never thanked or commended for hard work.
They will chew you up and spit you out
Patient Care Tech II (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJune 29, 2013
A 12 hour shift is really a 14 hour shift once the paperwork is done. They are short staffed 80% of the time and those of us that are reliable pay the price by being beaten up. You have to fight to get needed supplies, fight to get a worthy raise, fight to get a review that makes sense. Management wants your soul, co-workers will more than likely come and go faster than you can learn their names. The hardest part of the job was maintaining a positive attitude for the patients, but the most of the paients were the only part of the job worth going to work for.
Pros
tuition reimbursment if you want to sell your soul
Cons
some of the co-workers were very catty
Quality of care/Management
RN - Interventional Radiology (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLAugust 27, 2015
Fort Walton Beach is in dire need of caring staff and a total change in management.

Workers appear to be unhappy and uncaring. I have seen this both as a patient and employee.
Fast Paced Environment
Registration Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLOctober 23, 2015
I am sure that it goes without saying how crazy the Emergency Room can get. Patient care is my passion and you really have to learn to multi task and have an eye for efficiency. There is no room to make any mistakes.
Pros
Interacting with patients
Cons
Witnessing a broken system.
Convent
Laboratory Assistant/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLFebruary 25, 2015
This facility provided me with a place to do a job that I LOVE. I would not have known much I enjoyed the job without FWBMC. I worked in a very busy department and we were often short staffed. I was in the Out Patient Lab Department and learned valuable information, that will be useful in most any job setting. My co-workers and I were like family, we were all very comfortable with one another. Having to balance the amount of time "patient a" needs with the amount of time "patient b needs" was hard for me. Some people came and needed human contact, I tried to provide that, some wanted to come and go and I tried to provide that as well. Without a doubt, and with no thought at all, patient contact and care, is by far my favorite part of the job! I was responsible for quite a bit of clerical work, and I thoroughly enjoyed that as well.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
short lunch breaks, although they say open door policy...it is not
A great place to work.
Patient Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLOctober 25, 2015
Fun and relaxed place to work. I enjoy being here and learning new ways to present and serve meals. The Director and the Registered Dieticians are friendly and approachable.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Not alot of room to advance.
The Best Job You'll Sometimes Hate
Cardiac Cath Lab Technologist (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLMay 4, 2015
A typical work day at Fort Walton Beach Medical Center is probably just like any other day at other cath labs. What makes this place enjoyable is the people that you work with. There's trust and togetherness that borders on being family. The senior administration personnel have our best interest at heart. Couple that with the ability to learn a whole new world of medicine that truly makes a difference, especially in the lives of our patients. You get job satisfaction and instant gratification all in one setting--especially when you respond to your first STEMI. Seeing a patient go from being on death's door to looking like the picture of perfect health in the wink of an eye is truly amazing. That is the most enjoyable part of the job--saving people's lives.
Pros
Being part of a family that saves lives
Cons
High stress, short lunches, no breaks, sometimes long work hours
Case load of 22 to 32 paitents.
Case Manager PRN (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLMay 27, 2015
Discharge planning on all patients, initial and concurrent reviews on all payors. Some co-workers not willing to help. Most difficult part of the job was the work load. Managers unwilling to assist, constant staffing issues. Managers/Director showed favoritism. Unprofessional environment.
Pros
Worked individually
Cons
Staffing/workload
Preceptor experience while in school
Nursing Precepting (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLFebruary 7, 2015
I was able to attend 6 weeks of preceptor on the Oncology floor at FWBMC prior to my graduation. The management and staff were amazing to work with and I enjoyed the opportunity.
Ft. Walton Beach Medical Center is a nice place to work.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJuly 17, 2012
I applied to FWBMC beginning of December, and unfortunately did not get one call until the first of January due to a hiring freeze. I received a call from the director of the Progressive care unit and medicine unit. I had not applied to either of these floors but was so impressed with her unit that I took the job on PCU. I had worked briefly in a Primary care clinic overseas and realized I had forgotten much of my med-surg knowledge. I was able to regain this knowledge and learn new skills working on PCU which was primarily a cardiac unit. After 1 1/5 years, I was able to transfer to L&D, which I had missed dearly. The hardest part of both jobs was working short staffed. If well staffed, both places were very enjoyable and rewarding to work for. I got along well with both managers.
Pros
staff was very friendly and worked well together
Cons
short staffed. rarely got a full break on pcu.
Great Employer
Therapeutic Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLMarch 16, 2014
After being originally hired back in October of 2008 I quickly realize the professional and family environment that was seen throughout the facility. It truly was an honor and privilege to be a part of such a great facility.
benefits
Cons
unprofessional staff
Medical records specialist
Medical Records (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLNovember 12, 2013
great benifits package , they are very helpful to employees to further there education. Lots of chances to promote
average work place
Staff (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJuly 24, 2012
average place to work, not alot of room for advancement. minimal staff and equipment fosters an environment where you heavily rely on team work.
Exciting and enjoyable
Physician when need (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLMarch 17, 2014
The typical work place that I've personally work are fast pace, friendly, organized, working together and safe. I learned in these types of jobs that will learn something new to learn, and I've learned on how to take on challenges and have a successful out come in watching and taking notes and stepping out of my comfort zone and just doing it. The management team is different experience meaning that everyone has an idea or opinion when asking about their management experience with their pass jobs. I feel that management is doing their job as what their expected to do, and that's signing the employees duties, and responsibilities for each member of the staff. The co- workers in customer service is great and we all can pretty much get along with everyone. The staff is like a family were someone is helping someone. Were, we're being there for each other and just work together to succeed and get the job done. The hardest part of my job is learning Heart Monitoring Tech. When I was a housekeeper, I wanted more and I knew that I needed to go to back to College to get an degree in nursing or radiography, but I knew that I want to challenge myself like taking a course at the hospital on basic cardiac erythema how to read heart rhythms and do EKG's while I wanted to go back to college to further my education in nursing or radiography. However, I did it and enjoyed the job because it was new and exciting, rewarding job I've done and I did it because I made it possible to do heart monitoring tech. I really and truly love the medical field that is why I am currently in college to finish  more... up and move on. In the meantime am looking for more while attending school.
Jennifer Pikhart
Pros
working enviroment, health insurance, paid days off ect...
Cons
no cons
stressful but rewarding work
Charge RN of a high-risk OB/GYN unit (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLOctober 17, 2012
i was charge nurse and the pace waas fery fast, enjoyed helping people. in the end, administration did not reward their loyal, dependable workers. not a supportive work environment.
Pros
helping patients, teaching co workers
Cons
loyalty and hard work plus dependability was never rewarded
it says hospital on the sign
employee (Current Employee) –  in the hospitalJuly 9, 2012
It is far from a caring hospital they could care LESS about patient care.The bigwigs spend way to much time trying to fire people.No one is happy working there
Pros
no free coffee anymore, they said the homeless were drinking too much....wow really
Cons
they could care less about any of their employee's

2.9