Fort Worth Zoo Employee Reviews

Fun and relaxed workplace
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 21, 2017
It is a relaxed environment and a great way to meet new people. And if you want more hours you can apply to work events which help fund the zoo.the pay is good for the work you're required to do.
Pros
50% off food and merchandise
Cons
Not enough work hoursits
fun place to work
Commission Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 24, 2017
The Fort Worth Zoo is a fun and safe place to work and visit. You will learn about all different types of animals. You will meet people from all different types of cultures.
Productive and fun workplace
Attractions (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 10, 2017
The zoo is a fun, hot place to work. You can work and have fun at the same time, good pay rate, good environment. You'll love the kids and the animals, and there's also good hours.
Laid back place that gets very busy
Red Shirt (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 21, 2017
I find the zoo to be very laid back. As long as you get your job done you won't have to suffer in the heat or cold. A lot of people tend to quit simply because they are lazy, this job is not hard. All my bosses are very kind but know when to behave seriously.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Heat
Loved walking around
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 14, 2017
If you want to sweat in the summer and have less hours in the winter. This is the job for you!

Go out and learn for yourself, reviews have nothing on experience.
Great place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  2532 conlonial park wayJune 14, 2017
It was a great place I've felt with alot of people an I had to learn how to work at a fast pace get things done on time. It was a live place with a lot to learn about things
A good first job for teens, helps you prepare for real life jobs and situations
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 1, 2017
The Fort Worth Zoo has taught me how to work effectively and work with others as a young adult . This company teachers you life lessons , I learned that's it's not about the pay checks , it's about what you enjoy
I Loved This Place
CASHIER/ CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 2, 2017
Very laid back and comfortable place to work. Had a lot of fun. The only thing that i did not like were our work ours. You literally had to fight for hours. we would pick number, based off of that number determined hoe long you were staying at work that day. most people wanted to stay until close, so you know how that went.
Took my money and bad management
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 21, 2017
I was excited to work here because of the pay. I guess they lure you in with the hourly pay then you set foot in this dump and realize why they pay you 10 an hour. The management is horrible, the food service supervisors like to sexually harass the coworkers, and just horse play in general. They think that because they are older that they can make you do things you don't need to do and things that are part of their jobs. They will take money out of your paycheck even if you did not take a break, and you'll be missing a hundred from each one, suspiciously. I worked a whole week during spring break and only made around 400 dollars. I do not recommend any one to work here. The customers are rude and the overall employees do not care about you.
Pros
Cons
Management, pay, customers
Good Start
Admission Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 5, 2017
I've had an average experience at the Fort Worth Zoo. The job itself isn't difficult, but the customers are sometimes insufferable as I represented the first face they would see as well as the last face they would see.

For adaptive people, it would force an active learning experience in customer service. However, I couldn't see it as a career choice because there wasn't any room for growth, nor was there an opportunity to use it as a full-time position.

It's a good job to start with, but it's unsustainable in the long run.
Pros
Employee perks, Location and Environment, Animals
Cons
Management, No growth, Not good for a living wage
Security job is horrible
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 15, 2016
The lead security person is not a good guy. He's a snake... Enough said. Oh and you train to be in special ops and ninja training. Total BS waste of time.
Pros
Good employees
Cons
Poor top leadership
Not your average workplace
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 20, 2016
Working at the zoo helped me to gain basic work skills and experience while being in a more interesting environment than most food service workers. They were flexible around my high school and college schedules and my co-workers were friendly.
Pros
Free admission; 40% discount on food
Cons
Winter hours
Cared for Elderly man in his home
Attractions Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 5, 2016
Made him his meals, cleaned his house, ran his errands, made sure he took his meds
Old men can be cranky
I was management
No co-workers
Isolation
Freedom
Pros
I had a place to live
Cons
I lived and worked there
Strong community
Digital Media Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 2, 2015
Fun place to work with supportive management. Many opportunities to work in within various facets of the communication department. Collaborative and engaging environment.
It's a job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 19, 2015
Horrible. Easy job, the culture is bad. They don't respect you, dress code is stricter than professional jobs, and no benefits. It's good if you just need to get by but that's its. Good for high-school and college.
Pros
Clocking out at the end of the day.
Cons
Working at the zoo.
Great Environment
Food Sevicer (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 4, 2015
During my employment at the Fort Worth Zoo I expedience what it was really feels like to work for my first job. It was up beat, full of energy, and fun to be around.
Pros
Great Discounts
Cons
Long Breaks
Productive and fun
Food Services/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Stands/Ice CreamAugust 12, 2015
It's like a typical job, where you have almost the same routine everyday but it actually doesn't feel like it; I wouldn't come home tired or sad, the people I worked with were always giddy, they were not only my co-workers but my friends too.
Management was great, I mean there's always one slip up but we all make mistakes, don't we?
Although the job was seemingly easy, the only thing I seem to struggle at was counting change fast, i could see how fast everyone could add up and give people change so quickly, I'm not super slow, it's just I don't want to mess up, so I double counted a few times, not that many but just a few.
The most enjoyable part was when it was empty and co-workers could bond over a task, such as walking across the work place to help deliver to another stand or place in the zoo, and being able to relax around everyone, most coworkers were quite comfortable with each other too.
Pros
40% off food, of course
Cons
Awkward breaktimes
Enjoyable environment.
Cashier, Food Services (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 6, 2015
My day at present consists of working in the ice cream parlor or assisting in the kitchen. Working in the kitchen has taught me safe food handling skills. Hardest part of job is when there are numerous guests in the zoo. Having the children talk about the animals and enjoying their ice cream is a wonderful experience.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
No Benefits or guaranteed hours
Fun Workplace
Attractions Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 16, 2015
a typical day working at the zoo. you would clock in at least 7 minutes before your shift started. Found out where you where supposed to be and wait until the zoo opens
Great travel and educational experience
Research Team Member (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 19, 2015
Day to Day consisted of heading 'into the bush' with the intent to observe, learn and protect the endangered rock Iguana. Each morning we set new field cameras and baited the areas known to inhabit the Iguanas and each afternoon we gathered, organized, sorted, and recorded our information.