Plant Operator Job Description
The Plant Operator is responsible for running plastic bag-making and conversion lines, supervising warehouse workers, filling orders, managing and maintaining inventory, and maintaining OSHA standards. More specifically, the plant operator will observe machine operations to ensure quality and conformity of products to standards; tend, operate, and potentially repair (if necessary) the machines that finalize product, sort, grade, weigh, and inspect products, verifying and adjusting product to meet specifications, count and record finished and rejected packaged items, and adjust machine components and machine tension according to product specifications. The Plant Operator must be able to communicate with all areas of the company. You will report directly to the company’s Chief Operating Officer.
- Observe machine operations to ensure quality and conformity of products to standards.
- Tend or operate machines that make product.
- Supply materials to machines and unload finished product.
- Stock, sort, grade, weigh, and inspect products, verifying and adjusting product weight or measurement to meet specifications.
- Remove finished items from machine and inspect and remove defective products.
- Count and record finished and rejected packaged items.
- Adjust machine components and machine tension according product specifications.
- Stack finished packaged items, or wrap protective material around each item and pack the items in cartons or containers.
- Clean, oil, and make minor adjustments or repairs to machinery and equipment.
- Communicate with supervisors, peers, and/or subordinates -- provide information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Use relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards, including, without limitation OSHA.
- Must be able to safely and efficiently set up and run a bag machine and conversion line to produce quality plastic film and bag products in a safe work environment.
- Must be able to manage machine output in regards to handling, packaging, and shipping preparations for finished goods.
- Perform required quality checks and understand quality standards
- Adjust equipment to maintain good yields and maximize production
- Make adjustments to length, width and weight of bag product
- Must be able to read and understand all phases of a production order and customer specifications.
- Must maintain attendance in accordance to company policy.
- Must be able to work overtime when needed.
- Perform any additional duties as assigned by the Chief Operating Officer.
- Excellent teamwork skills
- 3 to 5 years experience as a plant operator
- Ability to use hand tools and measuring instruments
- Must follow safety policies and procedures, comply with laws, regulations, or standards, including, without limitation OSHA
- Make minor repairs on equipment and aid in trouble shooting with maintenance technicians
- Assist in packing as needed
Indeed - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard