Fortunoff Employee Reviews

Was an excellent place to work until the company started to experience problems which led to it closing down.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Melville NYNovember 7, 2014
As a customer service rep I sold products over the phone ranging from appliances to outdoor furniture while upselling and suggesting alternative products. In a day I answered up to 100 calls and handled callback requests during downtime.
• Assumed a leads role to assist new reps when a supervisor or manager was unavailable.
• Performed follow up calls to make sure customer concerns and complaints were satisfied as well as scheduling delivery and repair calls
• Called the store and service for customers to expedite solutions for issues that had been ongoing.
Pros
good raises, incentive sales promotions, respected company name
Cons
break times were erratic and strange, no assigned desks
great company to have worked for
Operational Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJApril 20, 2012
great company to have worked for. the compamy took care of its employees the company promoted from within the company
Pros
room to grow, great benefits
Cons
the compnay went bankrupt
Very Professional
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJMay 2, 2012
Greatest job I had! Great management and coworkers. Very professional atmospher
Pros
great benefits
Cons
went out of business
Friendlly Atmosphere
Crystal Expediter (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYJanuary 13, 2016
Nice family company to work for,great items. I helped cashiers bag items&inspect crystal items. was sad to hear when part of the company had closed.
Loved working at Fortunoff
Executive Assistant to the Senior Vice President (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYAugust 15, 2012
My typical day is described in my Resume. I was the Executive Assistant to the Senior VP of the store. She was usually on the selling floor so I was required to manage the Executive office. I was available for the Management team regarding reports for their departments, setting up meetings, ordering refreshments, scheduling and setting up rooms for meetings. At times I was asked to work the selling floor during the Holiday season. In addition, I was responsible for ordering supplies for Executive Office, Human Resources, and Management.

Customer problems always filtered into our office and it was my responsibilty to make sure the proper person was contacted to settle the issue.

Unfortunately for all of Fortunoff employees, the business was sold and closed within a year.
Pros
exciting and stimulating place to work
Cons
not too many cons. it was a joy to work at fortunoff.
Sometimes fun place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJApril 8, 2015
Taking incoming phone calls from customer to purchase merchandise over the phone. Management unfortunately was not the easiest to to talk to felt uncomfortable to ask questions. Co-workers could be nice depending if Management was in the office unfortunate. The hardest pat of the job was explaining why a order was not properly place. Customers would sometime get upset if order did not come at the time promised. The most enjoyable part was the job was close to home.
Pros
Close to Mall
Cons
Short brecks
Employees get to concentrate in sales more than other jewelry comp.
Diamond & Fine Jewelry Selling Specialist (Former Employee) –  1156 Paramus Park, NJ 07652July 26, 2014
Employee get to concentrate at work, Just sales, Some time at Dates we get Training in different,jewelry Items in conference Room with paid lunch, employees get to be up date in all the jewelry procedures and innovations, and qualities of jewelry, co-workers keep the professional rules and sales procedures at all times, one of the hardest part was to keep the employee sales goals it was very high, but that company had good costumers and it was not difficult for me, it was fun, every month we get seminars in different jewelry items and free lunch and souvenirs.
Pros
Conference room seminars with free lunch, Extra Bonus
Cons
When the Line of Furtunoff Jewelry closed some people said it was a con, but I think it was just a Family Dispute for independently inherit Access Money.
Good Experience
Jewelry Buyer (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYApril 26, 2014
A typical day at work would include checking out the jewelry that arrived that day. I would visit with jewelry sales people, which taught me a lot about people, good and bad. I went to the Gemological Institute and they taught me everything about stones, a great experience. I was younger than my co-workers, at first this wasn't great; but as long as I supplied them with good merchandise to sell, we all became buddies. The hardest part of the job was going to the jewelry shows and picking out pieces you hoped would sell. The most enjoyable part was helping people decide on a gift, or just pick out something for themselves. It was satisfying to see items that I had selected, being purchased.
Pros
nice working environment
Cons
the very many hours I put in
fortunoff
Business Associate, Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYFebruary 24, 2014
I started as a cashier working in college. I was told i can earn money on the side by selling the store credit cards. I knew nothing about sales i just knew how to talk to people and build repore naturally. In two months i broke the record for selling the most cards (100 cards +) in 1 month. This was a job that the sales reps were really responsible for and i out beat them. I was pulled aside by a manager and was told i should not be behing a register i should be on the floor. I was promoted to sales in the cookwear cultury department where i was one of the top sales people in that department.
Cons
Working with the warehouse and customers.
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYJuly 30, 2012
Worked to unload merchandise to the sales floor and customers cars. I learned how to interact with the customers and the management was very easy to work with. The fellow co-workers were helpful and assited me in getting ther job done. The hardest part was moving heavy furniture. I enjoyed keeping the sales floor clean and helping all customers.
productive and enjoyful environment
Bilingual Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJApril 25, 2012
management works along with you and have a open policy with a open mind in business and family responsibilities. learned to deal with customer issues from customer's point of view. always a schedule plan for the day as well for management.
Pros
open door policy
Cons
small staff
Nice working conditions
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJuly 10, 2012
This was one of the best jobs I have had. I was let go when the company closed all their stores. The perplexing thing is that when they reopened their stores they did not rehire their best employees. I won awards for sales, best customer service and selling most warranties and even though I sent them numerous resumes they never called me for an interview.
Pros
a nice place to work
Cons
they are not interested in rehiring their best and most productive employees
bankrupt
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYAugust 20, 2013
The company went bankrupt around 2009. They now only have a outdoor furniture store in a few locations in NY and NJ. They were big in quality: quality of product and especially quality of service. They were extremely attentive to servicing guest needs and wants. Above and beyond was more of a requirement than a favor. Company went down during the big recession hit of 2007/08. Plus their location didn't help them too much. Store is greatly missed.
Pros
great company
Cons
bankrupt
Was a productive place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Uniondale, NYFebruary 4, 2013
Loked into the inventory in the warehouse and saw what merchandise need to be scheduled for delivery. Afdter that I looked up the customer who puchased those items and if there was a remaining balance I would call the customer to settle the balance and schedule a delivery date.Throughout the day I would also sit in as the swtchboard operator and transfer calls to the appropriate departments and people.
Fortunoff was a fun workplace
Customer Service Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJApril 24, 2013
A day at work was answering phone calls. I worked within 5 functional areas of Customer Phone Service skill-sets. I was able to perform in answering 120 calls from a live queue and generating 30 outbound calls for follow-up. I worked with 12-15 employees. I was able to become a Team Leader.
Pros
i was promoted as team leader in short time i was working at the company.
Wonderful staff and family
Payroll Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Uniondale, NYFebruary 2, 2015
This position has enabled me to develop my payroll and HR skills. Likewise, it has challenged me to work with different types of people and to share a great deal of employee relation attributes. The hardest part of the job was to terminate people.
Almost the perfect place
Cashier, Sales Assoc., Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJJuly 15, 2012
I loved the time I worked there. We were family, we did team work, we shared a lot of wonderful experiences, a lot of opportunities to grow in the company. The atmosphere there was incredible.
Pros
everything was a pro
Cons
working on weekends of course, but was nice
It was a great workplace and a very creative work environment! A great learning experience!
Visual Manager/Shop Planner (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJJanuary 7, 2014
The company went out of business sadly! I manage a team of 5 people daily and juggled multiple projects daily/monthly. Planned and implemented projects for all store merchandise and seasonal events.
Old company was fine.
Porter (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYJune 21, 2013
The old company was a reasanably good place to work, but the company has been compleatly restructered, and I have no experience with its current organization.
productive and fun place
Holiday Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJanuary 24, 2014
this company was very challenging that improved my skills on a lot of things like scams. I've learned to always double check things was unsure of to be careful of the different policies. the staff was a great and understandable group.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fortunoff. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4