Forward Service Corporation Employee Reviews

An excellent place to work. Energizing. Rewarding.
Skills Instructor/Regional Trainer (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 3, 2017
Everyday is a new day of challenge and reward. Helping people move closer to their goal of self-sufficiency.

The opportunity to meet new people, networking in partnership with other agencies to provide a wide spectrum of community resources creates an atmosphere of accomplishment at the end of everyday.
Pros
Helping caring environment
Cons
not enough training opportunities.
Stressful
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 25, 2017
had a great team to work with, but upper management was more concerned with the bottom dollar than making things happen for the team. Immediate manager was less qualified for the program then the director managers of the programs.
Pros
Helping people reach goals
Cons
Mid-level manager
Get out
former employment specialist (Former Employee) –  WIMarch 15, 2017
Forced to put in wrong numbers in the system. Management is awful and uneducated. Do not go to this place if you want to help others. The work load is awful with full expectations constantly piling up. Managers are all about the numbers.
Pros
Leave when you can to look for other jobs
Productive and learnable
Workfare Volunteering (Former Employee) –  Baraboo, WIFebruary 5, 2017
Learning office skills and helping the public get to the proper person that they needed to see for their appointment. Knowing that you are learning a skill that will help you in your future employment. You also help the public by assisting them with copies of job openings and any other questions they have. If you do not know the answer you find it out for them or get one of the other people in the office to help them.
Pros
Working with the public
Good training-hours-PTO
Employment Business Specialist (Former Employee) –  Marinette, WIFebruary 3, 2017
Not a bad company but wage needs desperately to be increased.
Non Profit so consider providing basic office supplies as the are minimum . Quite a bit of on line training completely not job related. Supervisors are best trainers as they provide explanations. There is a QA team that find every flaw which is great but no reasons why so one can self correct
Pros
Training-Upper Mgmt
Cons
Policy change constant
Work Program
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIJanuary 25, 2017
Working through the W2 program to better my skills and advance my knowledge as an individual. Help with creating and fixing resumes and classes to help with skills needed to acquire.
Yuck!
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 14, 2017
Just didn't feel valued after putting in so much time and effort to do my job well. Certain management showed no appreciation for their staff.
Pros
Cause
Cons
Pay, management, opportunity for growth
Productive work enviorment. Worked at Subway also worked at marthon.
Costumer Service (Former Employee) –  Hale, MIJanuary 3, 2017
I loved working here. I enjoy providing my costumers with the best experience possible. The best feeling is knowing I made the costumers happy and knowing they left satisfied. Im all about making people smile in a fast efficient way.
Pros
People coming back because they experience the best service possible
Great place to work!
FSET Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Baraboo, WIJuly 12, 2016
I enjoy working for Forward Service Corporation. It is a growing company. Everyone is friendly and fun. It is challenging work. Benefits are OK.
Pros
Competitive pay
Cons
Frequent changes due to working with State
Exellent human service agency
Workshop Assistant/Intern (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WINovember 23, 2015
I gained invaluable experience through the Work Experience Interning Program at Forward Service Corporation. I acquired many new skills and sharpened already existing ones through personal interactions with those in need and performing everyday office duties. There were many opportunities to take the lead on things, such as facilitating a Resume Lab/ Workshop for W-2 participants, and I found that to be the most challenging and worthwhile experience while working there. It was not only a chance to hone in on my human service skills, but also a chance to really attempt to educate others and make evn the smallest change 0 difference within their lives, which is the most fulfilling part of the field.
Pros
Positive Staff
December 7, 2015

Thank you for your review and we’re so glad you enjoyed your internship with us. We wish you the best in your career.

W2 Team Lead/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 21, 2015
Being one of 3 minority members of Management in the entire company. Also, having more years of experience and knowledge than the majority of those working there. I loved my job, yet the diversity did raise an issue.
December 7, 2015

Thank you for the review. Diversity is definitely an important issue for Forward Service Corporation, too, and we are proud of being an Equal Opportunity Employer. In both our services and staff, we work with people regardless of race, age, gender or other categories. Our management team is 10% minorities and 79% women. We also employ veterans and people with disabilities. We hire a diverse workforce to serve our diverse customer base and are proud of our staff.

One word- Disappointing - by Former Case Manager
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Baraboo, wiOctober 2, 2015
When stating a job like this people have every intention of making a positive difference, and quickly realize that is not the jobs primary objective. Instead, unrealistic workloads, ridicule from direct supervisors, and lack of training, make you feel inadequate. You're pushed and hurried through training, which is an inadequate training to begin with. Turnover is atrocious, I've seen 7 people go in one way or another JUST FROM MY TEAM (of about a dozen people)in less than nine months. My direct supervisor, who walked out this week, was so hard to read. One day she's a lamb, the next she's on a tirade, most people call that insecurity and fakeness, I would. Little real support was given by middle management, they offer help, but it's merely to document that they "tried". They have very negative opinions about people in their "team", and voice them freely. Other co-workers are told to keep the personal thoughts they overhear and 1/1 talks that are essentially threats to themselves, as its "bad for morale ". I've worked for nonprofits for the past six years, I was proud to continue that, and quickly found out that isn't the determining factor in working for a great company. I had no issues with upper management, the CEO, CFO, and Director of Operations were always pleasant, but unfortunately those are not the individuals you work side by side with
Pros
Compensation/Benefits, Co-worker support
Cons
Middle Management, Unrealistic Expectations, Lack of training, Littke appreciation or respect
October 14, 2015

Thank you for taking time to post a review. We want to make your and every employee’s FSC experience great and you’ve provided us with some valuable information here. Turnover and training are two key issues that we’ve been tackling. The intensified new worker training for Wisconsin Works includes the state mandated training and a series of workshops and training from FSC staff on purposeful interviewing, developing Employability Plans, and other tools for our staff to help customers. We are sorry that you didn’t enjoy your experience. We have developed our Leadership Academy and supervisory training so we can deliver quality supervision across the organization. Our goal is to develop great leaders at every level of Forward Service Corporation.

Great People and a desire to bring good people into the organization
Employment Development Professional (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 28, 2015
I am a recent former employee at Forward Service Corp in Janesville. Although there are high expectations in this organization, it is a great place to work. My coworkers were helpful, fun, and enthusiastic. Difficult situations were easy to address, and the communication was strong between all. This environment was heavily supported by the leads here whose doors were always open. Although, they often had to be at several sites, communication was always available.

This is a company that has grown swiftly, however, I believe is adjusting adequately. The corporate office has a genuine desire to bring in good people, and not only promotes from within, but has a great referral system in place to bring in talent.

Overall, a great experience and if I move back to area, would definitely consider going back.
Pros
Coworkers, environment
October 1, 2015

Thank you for your review and for your work at Forward Service Corporation. We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed the job and helping our customers reach new heights. We wish you all the best in your future professional life.

Former FSC employee NOW State Employee
Case Manager / FEP (Former Employee) –  WisconsinAugust 23, 2015
Forward Service is hands down the worst company I've ever been an employee of...I currently review state law and review agency's to see that they are in compliance. FSC does not reflect the values or morales I have and I'm glad to no longer be employed by them. I would tell people who work there to leave and anyone considering a job there to look elsewhere. Training is extremely poor and you do not get the support you need for the heavy caseload you will be given. Although management provides lip service to you as if they care they do not. The managers will keep track of what you ask, how you ask and when they are ready to fire you they will bring it all up toward your poor performance. Managers only know what you tell them, so best advice share no negativity to your team lead or your program coordinator regarding your training, your job or frustration because when you do you are fired. All employees I've encountered who have quit or are fired are really good people and wanted to work at forward service, but because they discussed their concerns were labeled as not liking forward service, but reality is managers are worthless. They micro manage you and you will not get or take breaks and you will work after hours with no pay because you can't meet expectations and you want your job.
Pros
learning what i didnt want to be( no interest in being mistreated)
Cons
managers, workload with no support, not helping families in the manner the program was estsblished to do
August 25, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We’re disappointed that you didn’t enjoy your employment at Forward Service Corporation, but it doesn’t sound like it was a good fit. We have been improving our training offerings for our staff to help them understand W-2 policies and procedures, as well as the skills needed to work with customers. Knowing how intense our work can be, Forward Service Corporation encourages its employees to take their breaks and would never ask a non-exempt employee to work after hours without pay. That is patently unfair to a staff member and illegal. Forward Service Corporation abides by all state and federal laws. We have more than 300 employees and value the support, professionalism, and help they provide our thousands of customers.

You will dread going to work due to the workload & pressure put on you daily.
Case Manager/FEP (Former Employee) –  Baraboo, WIAugust 23, 2015
My excitement quickly turned to dread by my second day on the job. The team lead at the time didn't show up for my second day or any day there after, so my training was doomed from the start. The New Worker Training is all computer based, but it didn't do me any good because it was down for 3 weeks & continued to have technical glitches after they got it up & running. Then it was just a rush to get it done on time to meet their deadline so they could give me my caseload. FSC is all about deadlines, & their training is TERRIBLE. After all the problems with their training system, & then having to rush through the rest of it, I was no where close to being ready for a caseload but what choice did I have? I didn't have a choice, & then they wonder why there is such a COMPLETE and TOTAL DISCONNECT between Case Managers & the lack of confidence to believe in themselves to do their jobs well. Maybe if we had proper training from day one, NOT day thirty, that would make a world of difference. Maybe if we had management who was approachable, & didn't make the office environment so uncomfortable & unbearable at times, that would change "team" morale. I'm not the only case manager who feels this way, I'm just the only one who has nothing to lose by voicing these concerns because I no longer work for the company. The demands put on case managers are absolutely ridiculous, they train you on nothing but expect you to be super humans & do everything & then some. However, I have to say that considering I interviewed for a Job Developer position & ended up in the Case Manager position against  more... my better judgement, but in the better judgement of those who interviewed me, I did the best I could with the tools that were provided. Respect is EARNED not GIVEN, & I can't respect management who talks poorly of their own team members, disrespects them, or degrades them in emails to other members of management within the same team. There's no doubt in my mind that management at ALL levels needs some revamping. I've never worked for a company where I have been made to feel so stupid & inadequate, like what I was doing wasn't enough. I wouldn't wish this experience on anyone, so my advice to anyone thinking about working here...DON'T. You can do so much better, & for current employees, document everything & get out while you can. The stress & frustration is NOT worth getting SICK over!!! If it wasn't for my coworkers, I never would have survived as long as I did.  less
Pros
My coworkers whether they be with W2 or FSET
Cons
Daily pressures, no breaks, stress from customers, no personal work life balance, management gives no respect to "team" members
August 25, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Staff training has been a critical issue and we have taken steps to address it for incoming team members and management. We have been training supervisors through our Leadership Academy and have recently retooled W-2 new worker training so we don’t repeat your experience. We have also introduced a mentorship program to pair new staff up with more experienced peers to help them navigate the complicated policy issues with W-2. We wish you success in your future.

Supportive co workers
Job Developer (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIAugust 20, 2015
I learned I could not count on management however I would have to count on my peers for knowledge or questions I may have had.
Pros
awesome co workers
August 25, 2015

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We do understand the concern about training and have been steadily increasing the instruction for all of our staff. We have a job developer certification course that includes both program-specific information and general principles for approaching employers with solutions. Admittedly, we grew very quickly and may not have kept pace, but we have implemented many development opportunities for staff across the organization. Best wishes for your future.

No place for a career
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 19, 2015
Forward Service in Dane County is a disturbing place to be an employee.

A typical day is like a tornado. You have your job, the reports that need to be filed (COB) and then you have the managers who are cold, disrespectful and incorrigible. Their sole role is to increase numbers on dashboards, 0 data on weekly reports, and the number of jobs or placements on CSJ positions.

The training is/ was- very poor. When I first started, 1 year and 3 months ago , I did not have training. I was given a computer, a user number and a site to go to do all my training on line. You are expected to complete within 6 weeks. Very archaic system that is still using DOS. I had no support, was given a phone and told to look on public folders to find out about the business.

During the first 6 months 8 employees were either let go or left on their own for a " flight for life". A supervisor was fired and walked out the door with a box , which appears to be the theme song there. They make you leave right away if they find out that you are leaving or if they decide to walk you out with a box ( if you are lucky).

When I asked for help , there was no one to go to except for the county partners. If it would not have been for them , I would not have made it through that system.

My co workers were good people who were trying to survive a bad situation. Most people there are just there until they find their next job for themselves.

The expectations are great of the case manager, however not so much for lead staff. The management does not follow through with the same expectations
  more... for themselves. They constantly loose important request for participant , make inaccurate statements regarding reports, they are not accountable and reframe mistakes to be the case managers.

If you are a self starter and can work without training: this is the place for you. If you are looking for praise, don't bother there is none. Unless it is for the managers.

Observation: poor management, shallow leads, and insidious leaders looking to fill their own pockets.

The hardest part of my job was going every day, but I needed the money.

Working with people who really need help but have no idea how to request it. I enjoyed helping the customers.

Benefits: Insurance is very poor! Still paying bills from when I worked there.

You can not have your vacation days if you quit , leave or are fired.
No support of CEO, higher up management or leads.

Forward Service in Madison- promotes special rules for regular employees and no rules for others, and then, of course there are no rules for superiors!

If you can work under a authoritative structure, like spread sheets, macro merge, dashboards and share point you will do well.

However if you truly want to help people go to a homeless shelter or other public service agency.
Pros
You can do some good work given the time you are there, depending how long you stay.
Cons
If you want respect and/or want to excel in your career: this is not the place for that.
August 25, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Forward Service Corporation and we’re sorry this wasn’t the right fit for you and glad you enjoyed working with our customers. We understand that the numbers portion of W-2 isn’t always the most exciting part of the program. However, it is a very important element. We have to make sure that we serve customers by getting them jobs and reporting that to the Wisconsin Department of Children and Families. DCF rightly expects us to perform when they selected us to provide W-2 services. We also take your comments about training to heart because we want to put all of our staff in a place to succeed. This is why we revamped our whole onboarding process for W-2. New W-2 staff now have complimentary training to accompany the mandated state training. So far we’ve been hearing great things from the staff about how it is equipping them with knowledge about policy, computer procedures, and the soft skills required for working with customers; they also appreciate the supportive element of this training as they move along together. We had some bumps in the road with our rapid expansion, however we have also taken many key steps to provide staff with the tools they need to provide our customers with outstanding service.

You will be fired for poor performance if you voice any concerns- not a good company to work for
Case Manager/FEP (Former Employee) –  Madison, Waupaca, ShawanoAugust 5, 2015
Reviews on indeed are accurate of how the case managers/feps are treated. The majority of complaints are from the case manager/feps who were fired or left on their own do to the mistreatment they received from their team leads and program coordinators. Majority of employees needed are case managers/feps. I see that the director of ops posted their delight of FSC so that means they also read the previous post. I hope that individual takes it serious that many former/current employees have been verbally assaulted by these people and upper management has allowed this to happen. You may not condone this but it's happening just like work that is taken home by employees so they do not lose their jobs because they have no time during the work week to complete their work even after not taking lunch or breaks. Individuals hired are good employees and they work harder than they ever had to before trying to prove themselves, but once your team lead and pc have it out for you, your fired for poor performance. You shouldn't trust your co-workers even when you are friendly outside of work because team leads and program coordinators have their favorite employees turn you in for everything basically they are personal spies. You literally walk on eggs shells and you will at some point need medicated to work there because of the stress your put under. You keep hearing how management wants to work with you, if that was true there wouldn't be so many negative reviews. It's like being in high school working there. My suggestion to anyone working there now is to document everything and if your thinking  more... about working there ask them about there culture and employee turn over rate or how many times your job has been posted in the last year an why people are being fired or leave.  less
Pros
learning how unethical FSC is
Cons
everything
August 11, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We have many satisfied employees who make a difference in our customers’ live every day. We understand that you did not enjoy working at Forward Service Corporation, we are sad to hear that, and wish you the best in finding a career you love.

Exciting opportunities and outstanding mission at FSC
Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 4, 2015
I have worked at FSC for almost 10 years now and have enjoyed it immensely. You definitely won't be bored - there are new challenges to tackle every day, which is what I thrive on. I love the variety of work and appreciate the opportunities for professional growth. I think the culture is supportive and rewards innovation.
I also know that my work is making a real difference. Every night I go home convinced that my efforts have helped our customers get jobs so they can take care of their families. One of the greatest feelings in the world are those four little words from a customer: "I got the job!"
Every job has some stress and this is no different. This is a high-performance company and we have definite goals that we have to meet. Again, no different from any other company I've worked at in the past. I think that we pull together in a common cause of helping our customers and that makes even the stressful time manageable.
Pros
Dynamic company; new challenges; great mission
Cons
Can be stressful
August 25, 2015

Thanks for your review – especially from a FSC veteran. You’re absolutely right about the feeling when a customer gets a job; it’s a real life changer. Best wishes for your future at FSC, we’re so happy to have you on our team!

Worst place to work-do not work here
FEP/Cseworker-Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Shawano/WaupacaAugust 3, 2015
Job Work /Life Balance------There isn't any, no flexibility. There is no life, all you will do is work and probably even bring your work home to do on your days off due to no time in office to complete.
Compensation/Benefits------Pay sounds good, but once you see how much stress, lack of support and work you do on work time and off time your not making to much money. BENEFITS are average.
Job Security/Advancement---There is opportunity here. You need to keep your mouth shut about anything negative or you will lose your job. They say tell us how you feel or your concerns, but if you do your fired. You want to get promoted do not complain and pretend you love it and when you are mistreated by your boss just take it and do not stand up for yourself. This is no joke you complain you are out. Basically be an uncaring cut throat and you will be promoted.
Management-------POOR, they will cover their behinds at all cost. always good at saying the right things, but not fixing anything. The problems have been going on for years as you can see by the reviews.
Job Culture------Make FSC money even though you really are not helping the customers. They provide a quick fix, such as a minimum wage job supporting a family of 3 so FSC get paid for your working.
-----All management needs to be changed. I personally like the CEO, but she isn't management material when these issues have been brought to her attention and HR attentions and NOTHING changes. It starts at the top and trickles down. they all cover for eachother.
Pros
weekends off
Cons
lack of support, mistreatment, poor communication, no respect, poor managers
August 11, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to review Forward Service Corporation. We certainly do not want and would not allow our staff to work at home and go unpaid. We are a non-profit organization, so our job is definitely not about making money. We enjoy 36 years of experience in providing services to lower income Wisconsin residents and stand on our record of achievement. The customer is at the center of everything we do and we helped almost 5,000 people get jobs last year, with many more coming in 2015. It sounds like this was not a good fit for you and we wish you the best in your future.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Forward Service Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7