Foss Maritime Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 25, 2017
If it weren’t for lay-offs I would have been there forever!!!! I worked with amazing people who always strived to make you feel comfortable and like family.
Pros
The people, coffee machine, management, positive work place
Cons
Maritime tugboat company that recently underwent massive reformation.
Deckhand Engineer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 21, 2017
Excellent reputation and great standards of safety. Foss is currently re-working their business model and will take some time to recover. Most office personnel have been replaced and roughly half the deckhands (Inland Boatman's Union) have been laid off.
DISPATCHER (Former Employee) –  Kivalina, AKSeptember 13, 2017
Great company to work for. I worked for them in alaska and couldnt have asked for a better group of people to work with. The management was incredible as far as i was concerned.
Great people
Outside Machine Shop (OMS) lead-man (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 16, 2017
The employees at Foss are mostly like a family. There are the few that have a hard time with that. The crafts intermingle well and work together for the most part.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
late notice for some things
Great Company and Great People.
Senior Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 16, 2017
Started working for Foss as a Senior HR Generalist about 7 months ago after retiring from the US Army. Foss is a medium sized company with a family feel to it. If you are lucky enough to land a job here you can expect to be surrounded by talented people who are more than willing to help you succeed. You can also expect a safe work environment where Dignity and Respect are a norm, not the exception. There is always plenty of work to do, so the day's tend to fly by. All in all a great company, with great people, and good wages and benefits.
Pros
Great People, Culture, and Compensation
Cons
Traffic, but that is pretty much something everyone working in Seattle deals with.
High Volume AP Department
Accounts Payable Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 11, 2017
Company has great potential for initiating change management and continuous improvement, but is currently experiencing some growth pains and overall restructure. Great opportunity for someone wiling to wade through the 1970's mud to get to present/future state.
Growing pains
Manager of Safety, Health and Compliance (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 9, 2017
Company has great history. Going through challenging times. Seem to be struggling to get back on track. Low morale and high stress at this time. Has the potential to be a great company.
Pros
Benefit package and pay are good
Cons
Lack of managerment support and communicaiton between departments
Interesting job for the ones who love water and money
Dispatcher Internship (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 23, 2017
They are actually in my opinion one of the best maritime companies in the industry and anyone who has a job with them that I know is happy with their employment with Foss Maritime!
Great Company,good benefits, cool employees and great boss
Senior HRIS Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 16, 2017
Foss is great company to work. Flexible , fun and cool employees. I work with an awesome HR Team. The HR Team works well together. My job is rewarding and challenging.
they try hard
Master/Chief Mate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 13, 2017
unfortunately when I left the company they where going through a lot of changes. So my opinion is no longer valid when it comes to current situations there.
Great Company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA 98119April 12, 2017
I enjoyed working at Foss. Was able to advance and work in other departments. All the staff and Management are great.
Best place to work. Should of never left.
I learned alot
Welder Fitter (Former Employee) –  Rainier, ORMarch 16, 2017
Foss was a great place to work most of the time. the guys there would take the time to help yoiu if you struggled with something. I had the opportunity to lean many different skills and processes.
good place and good people
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 14, 2017
On a typical work day you wake up and go to the engine room take a look at all the equipment to make sure everything is going good. I learned a lot from the chief.
Miserable
Steward (Former Employee) –  AlabamaFebruary 11, 2017
Worst galley I ever worked in. The crew sneaks in at night, and steals stuff out of the galley. U work more hours than anybody on the ship. They always call u back early. Even though your an officer as head steward u have to share a room while every other Dept heads get their own room. It's a miserable place to work, worst ship I've been on by far. Go there at your own risk, I guarantee u will regret it.
Good Folks
Journeyman welder, ship fitter (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 16, 2016
Hard, steady work. Made the day go by. Projects were decent and fast flowing. Equipment was a bit shoddy, but manageable. Safety was good and there was no pressure to do anything you didn't feel comfortable doing. All fabrication was done yourself. If you need a plate cut, you did it. No waiting on others. Overtime in abundance.
Pros
Good people, good work.
Cons
Equipment. Swing shift.
Great pay and benefits
Shipayrd Laborer / Fire Watch (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 13, 2016
Highly recommended company that treats employees with respect. There is room for advancement and the employees have a sense of teamwork and loyalty.
Pros
great pay
Cons
lately the company has been cutting back hours
Very good company
Barge Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 2, 2014
Foss is an excellent company to work for they are very family oriented and everyone is there to help if you have any questions.
Typical day at work is lining out all the task that need to be addressed on the rig and making sure each task is completed fully in a timely and safe manner.
Management is very good to work with when you have questions they are a phone call away.
My co-workers are great and very respectful.
Old world values in a modern day enviroment
Manager Health & Compliance (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 20, 2014
Exciting and challenging. Ever changing environment. Excellent operational management.
Pros
Growing company good security great benefit plan
Cons
More of a productive and fast paced environment
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 4, 2014
On the SAP System, scanning, reviewing and processing 200 - 300 invoices/wk for input at a fast pace. Paying out expenses at the correct time and Vendor resolutions meetings when necessary to clear and expedite the invoice process..
Pros
This was a bring your lunch environment due to no commercialism close in the area.
Cons
Very short breaks if any.
Delta Mariner
Tempory Assistant Engineer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 6, 2014
I stay on the Delta Mariner was an outstanding experience. I had two outstanding Chiefs, two great first engineers, and the Qmed I was working was simply extra ordinary. If given half a chance I would love to return to the crew.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Foss Maritime. Our community is ready to answer.

Foss Maritime Reviews by Location