"Agency Overview: "
Foundation for Early Childhood Education, Inc. is a human service organization committed to promoting the growth and development of our children, families and staff. Dedicated to the development of self-esteem, self-sufficiency and empowerment, we provide an environment which fosters respect and understanding of all individuals and their cultural backgrounds. Foundation was funded in January 1966 to operate a Head Start program as well as a State Preschool program under the California State Department of Education located in various communities within the Los Angeles county area. Foundation is a delegate agency under the umbrella of the Los Angeles County Office of Education, which serves as the Grantee.
"WORK LOCATION": Based in the Corporate Office (El Monte, CA)
"DEADLINE FOR FILING: " (Until position is filled)
"POSITION SUMMARY: "
The Assistant Director of Educational Services (ADES) serves as a senior operating officer of Foundation for Early Childhood Education, Inc. (FECE) and is responsible for the design, implementation and oversight of comprehensive state and federal funded early childhood education services. The scope of the position includes lead responsibility for education, disabilities, and mental health services, as well as coordination with all other content services. In collaboration with the corporation’s Assistant Directors and other administrative team members, the ADES will ensure service integration and coordination and related administrative functions to achieve compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations, and FECE’s policies and procedures, including but not limited to: Head Start, California State Preschool, Community Care Licensing, and agency contracts as applicable.
"Essential Job Functions: "
A. Develops, plans, and oversees implementation of agency written plans, policies, and procedures regarding education, disabilities, and mental health services to ensure they are consistent with the identified needs of the children served.
B. Maintains knowledge of relevant federal, state and local laws and regulations, and communicates updates to administration and staff for planning, training, and monitoring purposes, and proposes adaptation to agency procedures, as appropriate.
C. Facilitates the development, implementation and/or coordination of activities designed to meet compliance with regulations.
D. Provides leadership and supervision to assigned staff, and communicates effectively expectations and desired outcomes.
E. Maintains effective internal (and external) relationships to ensure a coordinated approach to service delivery and to address service, staffing, and compliance issues until resolved.
F. Works with staff, administrative team members, Policy Committee, and Board in the development and review of program proposals, budgets, and plans.
G. Provides active leadership in fulfilling the mission of FECE, including strategic planning and establishment of strategic goals and program objectives to support the intended outcomes of the varied programs operated by FECE.
H. Assures effective delivery of services through consistent ongoing monitoring, reporting, and action to correct any identified problems.
I. Provides ongoing written monitoring and activity reports to the Executive Director and prepares external reports as required.
J. Reviews and analyzes programs, reports, and records, and adopts changes accordingly, with appropriate prior approvals.
K. Attends trainings and meetings, as scheduled and/or assigned.
L. Perform special projects and/or other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university with a major in early childhood education and/or development, special education, behavioral science (psychology, sociology, social work, human development, etc.), health, or related field. Master’s degree in a related field is preferred.
- Minimum 6 years of professional, supervisory, and management experience within Head Start, California State Preschool, and/or Community Care Licensing.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in implementing the Creative Curriculum, ASQ-3, ASQ-SE, DRDP-PS 2010, and CLASS in a preschool environment.
- Minimum 3 years experience in teaching preschool-age children, and expertise in the theories and principles of child growth and development, early childhood education, and family support.
- Minimum 3 years experience in serving young children and their families.
- Minimum 3 years experience in working with children with special needs.
"Knowledge and Skills: "
- Knowledge of relevant federal, state and local laws, rules, and regulations, including those related to Head Start, California State Preschool, early education curricula, disabilities, and mental health programs and services.
- Knowledge and familiarity of the communities and populations served through FECE’s programs.
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and in writing, with staff, clients, professional organizations, and community leaders. Bilingual fluency in Spanish is preferred.
- Interpersonal skills that support constructive and collaborative workplace relationships.
- Strong ability for critical thinking and analytical processing, problem solving, organization, group facilitation, and the ability to work well with others.
- Ability to effectively manage time and be flexible to the demands of the position.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and resourcefulness, and to safely and competently respond to urgent and emergent situations (within scope of position).
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries with other employees and with children and families.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all records and information that pertain to children, families, employees, agency, and its related interests.
- Competence in computer literacy, including Microsoft Office applications, Internet, email, Child Plus, and other relevant programs.
- Ability to utilize data analysis for monitoring and identifying corrective actions.
- Ability to meet physical requirements of the position per attached Physical Demand Analysis, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Valid California Child Development Supervisor Permit or higher.
- Supervised by the Executive Director for organizational guidance, performance evaluation, and professional development planning.
- Supervises the corporation’s Education Coordinator, Disabilities Coordinator, and Mental Health Coordinator.
- Board of Directors and Policy Committee
- Administrative and Program Staff
- Government Agencies and Community Organizations
- Funding Entities include CDE/State Preschool/CACFP and LACOE Head Start
Prior to hire, the following must be assured:
- Clear criminal record with the Department of Justice following a fingerprint screening;
- Completed and signed statement of any pending and prior criminal arrests/charges/convictions related to child sexual abuse, child abuse and neglect, and/or violent felonies;
- Successful completion of an initial health examination, performed by or under the supervision of a physician, to determine, at a minimum, if the prospective employee can perform the duties outlined in the position description;
- Proof of the absence of Tuberculosis, from a physician, to show that the prospective employee is cleared to work with children and families;
- Use of an automobile with proper insurance coverage and valid California driver’s license.
See website for employment application at www.foundationheadstart.org
Please email employment application and resume to: HR @ foundationheadstart.org
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Foundation for Early Childhood Education Inc.
Excellence in Early Childhood Education and Human Services
We are committed to Diversity as an Equal Opportunity Employer.