Four Oaks

Four Oaks United States Employee Reviews

Four Oaks is more than a company its a family
Receptionist (Former Employee), Cedar rapidsDecember 16, 2014
Four Oaks is a wonderful resource and pathway for many families local and international.
Loved helping teenagers
Youth Counselor (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IADecember 9, 2014
A typical day at work would be providing direct supervisor care to make sure clients follow through with rules, goals and documentation of clients day. I learned how to follow through with treatment plans and understanding how all individuals have different wants and needs. Management was great to ask questions to. Hardest part of job was clients not taking ownership of their actions. Most enjoyable part of job was knowing that I was impacting the success of clients when they were released from treatment.
NOT a place for hopeful grads
Youth counselor (Former Employee), independenceNovember 15, 2014
Pros: working with the kids
Cons: everything
In the beginning was a fun job as a counselor. I have a bachelor's degree in social work and made as much as a McDonald's employee. Poor management as they were under qualified and on huge power trip.
GREAT PEOPLE YOU WORK WITH
Youth worker (Former Employee), mason city,iowaNovember 11, 2014
Pros: people, kids
Cons: management, environment
Overall they play favorites on who gets the prime hours, no advancement, over all bogus management, put staff in horrible situations. Most enjoyable part of job is the people you work with, many different ones who are great.
Fun, yet sometimes stressful environment
Youth Counselor II (Former Employee), Monticello, IAOctober 6, 2014
Working with teenage girls in residential treatment is never a walk in the park. Every day is different and brings new experiences and challenges. As a Youth Counselor II, I was BHIS qualified, which means that I facilitated various skills groups and became certified to facilitate Anger Replacement Training (ART) and KINNECT. As youth counselors, we spent time with clients in groups and one on one, and were available to help in any way necessary to support clients. My co-workers were a big part of getting through some days as we were a close-knit group who learned to work well together and were able to trust each other in critical situations dealing with behaviors from clients. We were not only coworkers, but quickly became friends.
The hardest part of the job was during the critical situations, especially when it may be after you spend hours talking with a client and working with them, for them to fall back into their negative behaviors and coping skills.
The best part of my job was getting to know the girls, and to let them get to know me a little bit. That moment when a client is sitting under a bulletin board waiting to talk to you, and only you, after finishing up with team. The moment when you walk in the first morning of your week after being off for a few days and clients running to you to hug you and to tell you that they missed you while you were off. Those are the moments that get you through the tough ones.
Overall, I loved my job and still miss the people I worked with, both coworkers and clients.
Productive place for juveniles
Youth Counselor (Former Employee), Independence, IAJuly 29, 2014
Pros: healthcare
Cons: amount of overtime
I would assist juveniles in daily routines, groups and various activities. I learned that juveniles can be successful if they have consistency and a routine. Management was very much involved in the treatment of juveniles. Coworkers were consistent with the juveniles. The hardest part of the job was watching a juvenile struggle with treatment knowing they are capable of being successful. The most enjoyable part of the job was hearing from past clients and how successful they have been since they were released.
bad place to work
Night Worker (Former Employee), independence iaJuly 25, 2014
bad pay, lots of drama, hires unfit employees, overall run very poorly
Nice people to work with...
Night Worker (Former Employee), Independence, IAJune 9, 2014
Enjoy coming to work because of the people I work with. Third shift is hard. Getting to work with the kids can be interesting but enjoyable to watch them learn and grow.
I enjoyed working with the kiddos
Medical Assisting Extern (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAMay 28, 2014
Pros: getting to work with the kids, and being able to be a cma in real life
Cons: no pay, and no job offerings after externship was over.
In a normal day I would take vitals, help with intake assessments, pass medications, check on restrained and secluded kiddos, administered TB tests, and gave injections when needed.
Productive place to work
Youth Counselor/Supervisor (Current Employee), Waterloo, IAApril 18, 2014
Helping out different children from all walks of life is a good feeling everyday. Someone different arrives almost daily with a different problem so I have to stay on my toes with how to deal with them. No two days are alike and that's what intrigues me.
Difficult Job
Youth Counselor (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 9, 2014
It take a lot of mental strength and patience to do this job. The workers there are gifted and dedicated. There is just too much violence and crisis for me.
A great mission
Safety and Permanency (Current Employee), Cedar Rapids, IADecember 26, 2013
The mission of Four Oaks is a great one; however, a high turnover of staff makes it difficult to accomplish.
Overwhelming Wealth of Knowledge gained.
Day Manager, Shift Leader (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IANovember 21, 2013
Pros: great leadership, great employees, stable career path.
Cons: very violent clients, dangerous situations, and understaffed.
I enjoyed my employment at Four Oaks. I had excellent management and terrific employees. The skills and understanding I gained what Human Services means. I could not express the value of the knowledge and Training they put into each staff.

Safety, stability, and recovery were our focus points. To ensure the safety of staff, clients and visitors. Stability and consistency of that safety and structure, and then help our clients heal by using various therapeutic skills with clients of all ages and disorders.
Caring environment, family oriented
Family Advocate (Current Employee), Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 27, 2013
Pros: 401 k, life insurance
Cons: lower then average wages
Helping Clients, I have learned a lot about how the system works and how to help those who are in need. Hardest part of my job is watching children go back into a bad situation. I have hope though that the kiddos have learned something through those they have worked with to keep on the right path. I have the greatest co-workers and would not trade them
Energetic Atmosphere
Youth Counselor (Current Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 16, 2013
Pros: free breakfast, lunch, dinner, while on shift.
Cons: 14hr days, plenty of er trips.
A regular day at work is crazy, hectic, yet fun some days. A lot of energy is needed in the atmosphere. The teenagers I work with can one day be great, and the next day try and harm you. It's an up and down crazy lifestyle, but knowing some days you touch their hearts, helps. I do wish my management would acknowledge my work ethics more and my teams, because we work our butts off for the little money that we make.
Structured
Youth Counselor (Former Employee), Independence, IAMay 13, 2013
Pros: this job is hardly mondane
Cons: pay
This is a realy great company to work for a real team environment. Every day is something new.
A great company to work for.
Youth Counselor (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 4, 2013
worked in a variety of youth program settings either for after care or residential treatment. Supervised children ages 6-17. Ran skill groups, updating client files and entering daily logs. Helping children with general tasks for living healthy productive lives. I learned there are a lot of families that are in need of assistance in my area. Most of the management and coworkers were a pleasure to work with and very helpful. The hardest part of the job was seeing young children in a crisis situations or their difficult backgrounds. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the children make achievements in their lives and be rehabilitated.
Provided great challenges for my skills.
Permanency Specialist (Former Employee), Iowa City, IAJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: lots of chances to further skill development, flexible schedule, opportunities for developing better skill levels.
Cons: i felt that having another hand or part time staff in my area, as i was the only person working in a service area, would have been helpful.
I was treated well during this employment. I did become too overloaded by the end of my time with this company and I had asked for some assistance, but it appeared hard for my team to help me out at times. I feel that this company takes great pride in furthering their workers abilities by providing several trainings a month. I enjoyed that the company does have a lot of opportunities to change jobs and find something that is interesting for you or fits your abilities better.
The kids can really touch your heart but theres a lot of down fall.
Night Worker (Current Employee), Mason City, IAJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: kids are greart.
Cons: no breaks, no one really comes to check on you, dont get to use vacation time when you want.
As an overnight you don't really get to spent much time with the kids because they are sleeping but the time that you do get with them can really grasp at your heart. Some things are difficult because it's hard to build a really strong relationship with some of the kids but some you become really attached to. For the other people that you have to work with makes it a whole lot harder. Theres very little communication and people are very gossippy which tend to get in the way. Also if you don't go above and beyound your job expectations it feels like your being looked down upon, like youre not good enough. The shift leaders kind make you feel like there are playing favorites. The company acts like they are trying when you have a complaint but nothing really comes of it. Over all working at four oaks has been a major let down. I went to school to work in this job field and it makes me feel like I wasted my time, money and effort.
educating and safe keeping of youth
Youth Counselor (Current Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 27, 2012
Pros: getting a client back home to his/her family
Cons: not all clients will have a home or even make it once they return home
My daily job consist of educating young youth and helping them to make better choices concerning their health, family, and most of all themselves. The hardest part of the job was listening to some of the heart felt stories some of them came to the program with. I learned that you can never pre judge a person or the circumstances they face everday. Always come within a job open-minded. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was watching the clients grow and learn from their mistakes. The look on some of their faces when it was time for them to be discharged was PRICELESS. I enjoy working with my management and co-workers because they believe in open communication and believe that we are working to help and educate not to take things personal.

Four Oaks Salaries