Four Oaks Employee Reviews

Stressful underpaid
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 18, 2017
It is an unsafe work environment and management refuses to address staff concerns. Underpaid and the raises there are not evaluated based on performance. They make you do a performance evaluation however gave everyone pretty much the same raise.
Four Oaks
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 13, 2017
A typical day went well as long as the kids were having a good day. I learned that there are many different kids out there and each one is special. The hardest part of this job was watching these kids struggle in different aspects of life. The most enjoyable part was watching kids get adopted or going home.
Good place to work if you like helping kids
Night Youth Services Worker (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 2, 2017
The Night Youth Services Worker is responsible for assuring unit coverage, safety, & security during overnight shift. Under the direction of the Night Shift Leader, this position provides late shift awake coverage for the assigned unit; utilizes approved behavior control techniques to maintain unit stability; completes assigned documentation and tracking; maintains medication distribution assignment; and all other assigned support services.
Pros
pay
Cons
high stress
Rewarding job, but poor employee retention
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 1, 2017
Working at Four Oaks is a rewarding experience, but unfortunately the administrative side often gets in the way of its mission. They are aware of the areas in which they struggle in terms of taking care of their employees, and then either blatantly ignore the problems or change the organization in a way that reduces the ability of their employees to find a livable wage at the entry level. There is almost no way to advance in the company even though they advocate it strongly.
Great Team
Family Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAAugust 31, 2017
The staff at Four Oaks worked to support one another and ensure they provided the best services they could to area children. The organization did a great job of supporting staff.
good place to work
Youth Services Worker II (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 28, 2017
I liked being able to help juveniles who were need. Many children benefited from this and I was glad to help place kids in a good and healthy environment.
Not a great place
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Independence, IAAugust 16, 2017
This is a review for being a youth counselor at the shelter in Independence. I don't recommend it. The management is awful and so unorganized. Their is no schedule given out for part-time employees so were called in the day of to come in. 12-hour shifts on weekends. Employees are not at all supportive of each other and some are not qualified to be doing their job. We are not trained so we are just expected to learn the job on our own. The best part of the job is working with the kids and building relationships with them. I also like the online and in-person training opportunities required because I feel I learned something from those.
Pros
Free meals, making a difference, free trainings
Cons
No schedule, bad management, negative workplace culture, 12 hour shifts
Shift Leader II (Current Employee) –  Bertram, IAAugust 15, 2017
Supportive environment and great coworkers. Difficult and stressful at times, but also rewarding.I worked their for 2 years, left, and returned. Great place to be.
Poor environment
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 27, 2017
Not a good place of employment. Pay is really low and benefits are not good because you pay a high price for them. Environment is not friendly and no support what so ever from management or supervisors. Very crude place to work.
Pros
Na
Cons
Poor pay
Eventful and satisfying
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 21, 2017
Rewarding job if helping others is something you enjoy. can be stressful, but under the right management it is not so bad. fun environment. great way to gain skill in the human service field.
Not recommended for long-term employment.
Youth Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 2, 2017
It's good experience, but the clients are problematic and sometimes violent. The pace can be non-stop hectic for weeks. The management during my last few years were condescending task masters much of the time, seldom extending support or appreciation for the work we performed.
Pros
Experience, decent pay and benefits, free meals.
Cons
Hectic pace, underappreciated by management.
Fun enviornment to work in.
Lead Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 28, 2017
Working at Four Oaks was a great experience. I gained new skills and learning to deal with disadvantaged youth. Working with disadvantaged youth has taught me a lot of patience. The Four Oaks organization is a great place for young adults to begin there personal development as young adults.
Pros
Great hours.
Cons
Busy work, lack of mobility but lots of exposure
Cultural Equity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAApril 25, 2017
Working for Four Oaks allows me to interact with many other professionals in the Social Work field. It would be helpful if they did more to develop their own talent. Tuition reimbursement would be nice. They would be better served to do more about recognizing staff and employee satisfaction, rather than focusing only on results and what is not going right. In need of a more inclusive atmosphere with proper on-boarding.
Pros
Flexibility, many different jobs, open door policy
Cons
Pay, career advancement, training
lack of communication makes job harder
Maintenance Technician 1 (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAApril 12, 2017
current maintenance manager is great to work with. I usually work on make readies which range in amount of work from a quick turn to major rehab. the crew I work with always complain about what has to be done, no team work. the hardest part about coming into work is the lack of communication with our department and office staff. the company has taken away bonuses and forced us to acquire our own cell phones for maintenance. for the last year or so I dread getting up and coming to work. I love what I do, I no longer care for whom I do it for.
Pros
use of tools for pivate use, use of work truck
Cons
no team work and no chance for advancement
Fun work place
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 24, 2017
On a typical day at work it was pretty relaxing and easy as long as the kids listened and followed daily routine. I learned more about self control and about other illnesses that people can have. I became Medicine Manager, CPR, and First Aid Certified. Hardest part of the job was when you had to put hands on a kid or have to chase a kid that ran away.
Pros
Fun, decent pay
Cons
have to put hands on the kids some times, stayed late
Treatment Center
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 13, 2017
Responsible for assessing clients interactions on location; formulating interventions based on the identified treatment plan; evaluating the progress of treatment goals; providing direct care services on assigned unit(s) completing documentation as assigned; supporting the agency mission as well as program mission & values, practicing safe & responsible work habits.
Pros
Work with kids
Cons
DHS accusations
Fun place to work
Youth Coucelor (Current Employee) –  Smith CenterMarch 1, 2017
Very flexible hours
Great people to work with
Everyone is easy to talk to
The best part of the job is just simply working with the kids and seeing them progress
Laidback environment
You can wear sweatpants!
Pros
very flexible
Cons
Low pay
Fun workplace when everyone on the team can agree to certain things
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 13, 2017
The job was rewarding but management is in turmoil and most of the co-workers there aren't trying to have the clients succeed. The hardest part of the job is getting a client to calm down and use the skill and tools they have learned.
Pros
Free Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
Cons
No breaks, Never leave on time for work.
Work Environment
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 13, 2016
Great place to work. You feel like you make a difference everyday. The pay isn't that great but it is a rewarding experience.
Good Cause to work for.
Administration (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 10, 2016
I enjoy working for Four Oaks but I do have to drive 40 minutes to get to work. Great people to work for, but as a non-profit organization their funding isn't always there to have the best of everything.