Four Winds Hospital Employee Reviews

Flexible hours, good benefits
Mental Health worker (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYDecember 12, 2016
My day consisted of checking in at switchboard to see what unit I would be working at for the day. When I got to the unit, I would receive a schedule for the day. My tasks consisted of taking patients to their groups, activities, to the dining hall for meals, etc. I would do hall checks when scheduled. I would respond to codes and deal with out of control patients, and if necessary assist in restraint and/or seclusion. I would be assigned a number of patients every day and I would write notes on them to be turned in a the end of my shift. I would get two 45 minute breaks, as my work day lasted from 8:30 am to 9:30 pm. This is just some of what I did.
I learned a lot at my job. I learned that the people who can be the cruelest, tend to know cruelty that know one should ever experience. I learned just how different it is in a psychiatric hospital than what I thought. While I knew that it was nothing like it is on TV, I learned that I still did not have an accurate view of what it is like. I learned to be patient with some of societies most vulnerable members. I learned how to interact with them and how to help them.
Management was amazing. The cared about all the employees and did an awesome job of taking care of patients and the hospital.
My co-workers were absolutely vital. They helped to assist me when I needed it, would take over if I needed a breather. Without their support, my job would have been harder than it already was. Many patients had traumatic lives, and co workers were the only ones you could talk about it with.
The hardest part of the job was the fact that
  more... you had to separate your own life from your job. You couldn't let even the most tragic story about a patient impact your work. You had to be patient with patients who were ungrateful towards you. It was all worth it though.
The most enjoyable part of the job was that I had flexible hours, I had great co-workers. I loved the patients, even if they didn't outright thank you, you could tell when they were thankful for what you did for them. Nothing was greater than when a patient was excited to see you.
Pros
flexible hours, great benefits, amazing coworkers
Cons
occasional missed breaks
Not an advancement position
Discharge Planner (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYNovember 28, 2016
Working for Four Wings Hospital is stressful and breaks you down mentally. Administration does not treat all employees equally and displays personal biases. The environment is uncomfortable and judgmental.
People who care
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYDecember 1, 2016
I worked here per diem. A really nice environment for staff and a place where patients have an opportunity to receive help in a beautiful setting.
Very fast-paced, challenging evironment.
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYAugust 21, 2013
A therapeutic milieu that forces entry-level staff to perform a variety of tasks. I learned a lot about my professional focus, my internal motivators, and how to approach crisis management in a progressive, skillful manner to achieve best outcomes. I learned how to engage in a collaborative environment full of checks and balances. The staff and management alike continually seek cutting-edge skills trainings to improve quality customer care.
Pros
Benefits, flexible work-schedule, rewards, promotions/recognition
Cons
Very demanding and pay
Very restricting environment
Psychotherapist (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYSeptember 7, 2016
Work on the adult unit. I personally ran 12 DBT groups a week and also had a full case load. The work you do there is not appreciated nor is it valued by the supervisor.
Pros
nice peers
Cons
supervisor
Wonderful People Through and Through
Community Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYJuly 12, 2016
Excellent place to work. The management team is genuine and very supportive. Great team-playing environment. I loved every minute there.
Great Entry Level Job
Treatment Manager (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYSeptember 25, 2013
Great experience and entry level job. Also due to hospital hours, you have plenty of free time to enjoy your life. Unfortunately the compensation is low and not enough to support yourself. Unless you are planning to become a doctor or nurse, this is only a temporary position.
Pros
Free Lunch, Dinner. Lots of free time.
Cons
Dangerous
Fast paced. MUST have patience
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYMarch 26, 2015
Direct care and monitoring of individuals dealing with problems. I learned how to appreciate life and enjoy helping those in need.
Pros
Two breaks, full benefits
Cons
Low pay, understaffed/overworked
I love my job
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYDecember 28, 2015
As a Mental Health Worker I am responsible for the patients in a therapeutic manor. I supervise and escort patients throughout the day while in constant communication with the RN about change in behaviors of patients of all ages. I complete all patient care assignments, safety procedures and restraints when necessary. My co-workers are fantastic! Management is just as great! It's wonderful to work in a team setting. As a mental health worker it’s my job to help a patient realize their full potential and be there as support as they go through this challenging time in their life.
Needs more staff and better management
Nursing Staff/Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYMay 14, 2016
There are always people calling out. The home staff are always getting floated. There is no such thing as having people "on call" for days when people do call out. There needs to be an upgrade.
Positive Job
RN and Counselor (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 20, 2016
Taking care of Adolescent children
Worked as manager of Units Children Adolescent and Adults
Admission and Assessment of Possible Patients
Amazing Experience; Undervalued by Management
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYNovember 4, 2014
Long shifts, chaotic atmosphere, and constant danger make this job extremely high-stress. Working with the children is extremely rewarding and is an experience I would never trade for anything. The management undervalues the MHWs and do not respect personal restrictions (i.e.: injuries, pregnancy, etc.). Pregnant workers are consistently discriminated against by management and are not given the option to opt out of restraints. The majority of the team you work with are dedicated, kind, compassionate individuals. Unfortunately, the people running the place don't appear bothered by the poor conditions and lack of consistency.
Pros
Great work experience, wonderful co-workers
Cons
short breaks (if any), 13 hour shift, lack of leadership on unit
Outstanding enviornment to use skills and intellect, excellent teamwork,consistent opportunity for education, personal and professional growth
Director of Marketing and Community Relations (Former Employee) –  Saratoge Springs, NYApril 23, 2012
Fabulous work setting, with a typical day of program design, preparation of marketing materials, problem solving: internmal, consumers and families, referral sources, community and political groups, professional networks and regulatory entities.
Supervision of staff, strategic planning with upper management, planning and implementing quarterly education calendar, planning staff incentive events, close collaboration with admission and discharge teams, preparation of marketing plan.

Hardest part: driving in deep snow

Most enjoyable: co-workers and always the opportunity to be heard and respected
Pros
beautiful setting, highly respected colleagues, flexible work schedule, evolving responsibilities
Cons
constant search for excellence in aftercare, for discharged patients and families
A wonderful place to work for.
UNIT CLERK (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs NYNovember 15, 2012
Four Winds Hospital is a psychiatric hospitl. Not one day was the same. I found it to be challenging and yet rewarding all at the same time. I really loved that job. I actually cried when I left. My peers were amazing. We helped each other out. My supervisor was there when I had a very severe personal issue and was amazing and understanding when I needed to take some personal time. I think the hardest part of the job was the travel .. It was 40 minutes from my home and in the winter months that became challenging. The most rewarding part of the job was seeing mentally challenge people that we helped get better and leave the hospital.
Pros
rewarding, all the activities, outside functions, holiday parties etc
Cons
there really was no cons
Work with a team of talented professionals in an acute setting.
Clinical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYOctober 14, 2012
A typical day at work involves meeting with the team each morning to review the acuity on the unit. Discuss a plan for interventions and management of acuity on the unit taking a team approach. The treatment approach on the adult unit is centered around teaching Dialectical Behavior Therapy skills and encouraging our patients to practice the skills in the milieu throughout the day. Patients complete daily Diary Cards and other written assignments that provide the treatment team with clinical information and reinforces the use of the DBT skills learned that day. Throughout the day, the therapists communicate with managed care companies to either complete a pre authorization for admission to our unit or provide continued stay reviews regularly. Working with the managed care companies can be challenging and is an important part of the job. There are many enjoyable aspects of the daily work including working within a team, helping patients get to the next point in their recovery and being to consult with team members during the day.
Pros
strong peer support.
Cons
acute setting is fast paced with many changes in direction daily.
Mental health work
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, NYJuly 9, 2012
While working at Four Winds Hospital my day to day work consisted of structuring group therapy sessions for patients. Alongside leading group therapy I would work with doctors and nurses to help the treatment plan for each patient. The hardest part of the mental health profession is coping with the mentally ill and establishing why they had been placed in the hospital. The beneficial part of the job starts and ends with the patients and their stories. Helping someone grow as a person was one of the most positive events that have occured in my life.
Pros
you are a positive aspect of patient care and patient life
Cons
hours work not condusive to schedule
Rewarding to work with adolescent children
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYApril 12, 2014
Working in the psych field as an RN , helping adolescent children was very rewarding. The staff at Four Winds was always upbeat and positive. Although, the shifts where 12 hour and it could at times get very exhausting,the energy there was very positive to work in.
Pros
Knowing you touched a life in a possitive way.
Cons
Being in danger at times during a take down for a behavior problem.
An exciting place to work. Very rewarding
Charge Nurse-Adult Psychiatric Unit (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYApril 2, 2013
Challenging postion working with a diverse patient population. Effective program to help patient work through treatment. Many dedicated coworkers.
Tough pace to keep up with at times..Short staff is hardest part of the job
Pros
new and interesting field of nursing
Cons
working alone without benefit of another rn
Acute-care psychiatric hospital
Senior Mental Health Worker, Milieu Manager (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYJanuary 5, 2015
An acute care psychiatric hospital that works with children, adolescents, and adults, as well as, psychiatric, behavioral, and co-occurring disorders. As a Senior Mental Health Worker I provided direct patient care, encouraging engagement in treatment and ensuring patient safety.
Mental Health Work
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYSeptember 28, 2013
13 Hr Direct Pt Care with 13-17 year olds, No room for advancement, pay is Low.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Four Winds Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.