Four Winds Hospital Employee Reviews

Good entry level job
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYDecember 23, 2017
Good entry level job for anyone coming straight out of college. Great to expand experience in mental field. I think they should raise the pay for working 12 hour shifts.
Pros
Free lunch with patients or pay
Cons
Short breaks, not so great health and dental insurance
Amazing co-workers but poorly managed.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYAugust 31, 2017
Co-workers quickly become family and there is a great sense of comradey. However the hospital is poorly managed and their is a high turn over rate. Senior management also doesn't even try to hide their contempment for employees and employee saftely seems to be very low on their priority list.
Pros
Hour long lunches, pension and 401k plans
Cons
Poorly managed
Fun workplace, but little room for advancement
Psychiatric Nurse Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cross River, NYAugust 22, 2017
Coworkers quickly become family at Four Winds Hospital. It is fast paced and busy. Unfortunately this is due to a high turnover rate and poor management.
Multi tasking position
Unit Secretary and Spanish Translator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 22, 2017
My typical morning was more of a routine answering phone calls, and assisted nurse manager in preparing clinical staff and well as patients for the day. In addition, I performed all clerical duties, covered for other unit secretaries and maintain my units nurses station. Clinical staff and management changed frequently. I can say all the staff and co-workers were very professional and caring with patients. The enjoyable part of my job was not only working with staff but patients as well.
Pros
Beautiful campus, parking, 1 hour lunches, and paid translations..
Cons
Coverage/no perdiem secretaries.No medical records transporter.
review of four winds
Employee (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYAugust 18, 2017
Four winds lacked job advancement for me. The pay was not comparable to like positions in the area. My particular supervisor lacked leadership skills. I enjoy my coworkers.
Is sometimes physically and mentally demanding
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYJuly 10, 2017
Four Winds Hospital can sometimes be a physically and mentally demanding job. However, the thirteen hours per shift go by quickly on the pediatric units.
Unpredictable work environment
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYJune 19, 2017
Very understaffed with little supervision at times. There are times I worry for my safety and the safety of my fellow cowo.rkers. Rules and HIPPA are broken constantly
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
short breaks, understaffed
Good for a starter job
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYJune 15, 2017
Four Winds overall is a great place to start if you have plans to become a nurse, therapist, or doctor. Otherwise, you will see very quickly how replaceable you are so, get out quick.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Management, Safety
poor management
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYJune 12, 2017
Everyone working here is on a power trip. Distasteful environment to work in. The nurses don't run their units properly and will quickly pass the blame onto others when they can't control their patients.
Not that bad
Dietary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYJune 7, 2017
Not a Bad job if i have to be honest but i would prefer anywhere else you start the day at 11 am and you leave whenever the work is done management is unhelpful in the work you preform which isn't really surprising but hurts your motivation when they complain about your overall performance but compliment you.
Pros
Good benefits good community nice area
Cons
poor management horrible job security
Productive and fun place to work
Maintenance/Security (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYMay 30, 2017
Been there for 14 years and learned a lot and got to know many people there. Four Winds Hospital is definitely and enjoyable and great place to build your experience.
Don't drink the kool-aid
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYMay 14, 2017
Worst place I've ever been employed by. Took me years to realize this place brainwashed me into believing it was a therapeutic facility. The "higher ups" are disconnected with staff needs and more horrifyingly so: patient needs. They demean you into feeling as if you haven't done enough for the patients, when in reality it's their mistakes which have caused short staffing and dangerous situations. Countless times a day i put myself in harms way to ensure patient safety. After receiving a brain injury from a patient I woke up and realized a job where they treat you poorly isn't worth destroying myself for. Please don't make the mistake i did.
Pros
1:1 contact with patients
Never a dull moment.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYApril 25, 2017
The best days are days that you feel that you've really touched someone's life, bad days are traumatic and make you not want to return. Overall, it is a great hospital.
Challenging position
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYApril 25, 2017
As a night nurse, you are often responsible for up to 28 patients, and charting, documenting, and medication administration is difficult with only one nurse. The job however has taught me a lot about nursing. The staff and patients are very pleasant.
Hospital closed
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 18, 2017
This hospital closed. It is a different location. The other four winds are well managed. Staff are very well taken care. They are compassionate and care about patients.
Educational Experience
Staff Development Instructor (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYMarch 28, 2017
Psychiatric nursing is very educational and rewarding. I worked three 12 hour shifts on a adolescent dual diagnosis unit. It was very rewarding but also very demanding.

I'm happy that I had the opportunity to work there.
Pros
3 day work week
Cons
None at this time
Enjoyable place to work
Activities Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Katonah, NYDecember 21, 2016
Work consist of working with different types of individuals and the work day is hectic but manageable
Co-workers are very helpful and considerate
I have learned the importance of co existing with different individuals
Flexible hours, good benefits
Mental Health worker (Former Employee) –  Katonah, NYDecember 12, 2016
My day consisted of checking in at switchboard to see what unit I would be working at for the day. When I got to the unit, I would receive a schedule for the day. My tasks consisted of taking patients to their groups, activities, to the dining hall for meals, etc. I would do hall checks when scheduled. I would respond to codes and deal with out of control patients, and if necessary assist in restraint and/or seclusion. I would be assigned a number of patients every day and I would write notes on them to be turned in a the end of my shift. I would get two 45 minute breaks, as my work day lasted from 8:30 am to 9:30 pm. This is just some of what I did.
I learned a lot at my job. I learned that the people who can be the cruelest, tend to know cruelty that know one should ever experience. I learned just how different it is in a psychiatric hospital than what I thought. While I knew that it was nothing like it is on TV, I learned that I still did not have an accurate view of what it is like. I learned to be patient with some of societies most vulnerable members. I learned how to interact with them and how to help them.
Management was amazing. The cared about all the employees and did an awesome job of taking care of patients and the hospital.
My co-workers were absolutely vital. They helped to assist me when I needed it, would take over if I needed a breather. Without their support, my job would have been harder than it already was. Many patients had traumatic lives, and co workers were the only ones you could talk about it with.
The hardest part of the job was the fact that
  more... you had to separate your own life from your job. You couldn't let even the most tragic story about a patient impact your work. You had to be patient with patients who were ungrateful towards you. It was all worth it though.
The most enjoyable part of the job was that I had flexible hours, I had great co-workers. I loved the patients, even if they didn't outright thank you, you could tell when they were thankful for what you did for them. Nothing was greater than when a patient was excited to see you.
Pros
flexible hours, great benefits, amazing coworkers
Cons
occasional missed breaks
Mental Health
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYDecember 7, 2016
Working at a psych facility can be difficult at times, but if it is what you set out to do it can be rewarding and sometimes fun. My coworkers were very team orientating and that was helpful.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Patients