Fox Valley Technical College Employee Reviews

Good experience and productive
Internship (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIAugust 4, 2016
I loved doing my internship so everyday it was an adventure because I was eager to learn new things everyday. I learned engineering skills, commutation and working with people from different diversity and background, time management, logic circuits were hard to design sometimes. Learning new skills was the part i really enjoyed.
Pros
free lunch sometimes
Cons
8 hours
A Cool Place to Work
Adjunct Instructor-Global Business, HR Management (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIJuly 5, 2016
There are challenges and success's, and most importantly this is a place that supports their students and garner their abilities to rise and exceed expectations.
Pros
Classrooms, Technology, Hours
Cons
Advancement
Fox Valley Technical College
I assist the Enrollment (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIDecember 31, 2015
I worked as an intern for enrollment. I would come into the office, log into my computer and phone. I would get logged into PeopleSoft so that I could help students when they came into the office. I took payments, helped students register for classes, apply for college, apply for financial aid, answered phone calls, answered questions students asked (if I didn't know the answer I found out the answer), filled promotional material when empty, wiped down surfaces at night when we closed the office, and counted my drawer. I had a very good experience at Fox Valley Technical College. I was able to get a degree and work hands on learning interpersonal skills, computer skills, organizational skills, and problem solving skills. I would have liked to stay because for full time employees they have good benefits and it is a pleasant place to work. I love helping people improve their lives. I like to make a difference.
Support Staff
Employee (Former Employee) –  Fox Valley, WIOctober 15, 2015
I had a positive experience working at Fox Valley Technical College, which is located in Appleton, Oshkosh, Chilton, Clintonville, and Neenah.
Productive, fun, and interersting work place where cultural differences and learning skills match perfectly.
Math Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIOctober 16, 2014
The Oshkosh TLC is really smaller than the Appleton one, so it's quieter. Some day you can just have 4 hours blank, and another, you can face a rush of people. It's although really interesting because you can meet very different students with very different skills and problems, so you have top adapt your way of teaching each of them.
All the tutors are very friendly with each other and really nice. It's really cosy in there.
The hardest part of the job is sometimes telling a student that you can't help them because you're not the tutor they need, this one being missing and you being the only resource available, or being unable to get to a point with a student because they really don't understand what you are explaining them.
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting the satisfaction of seing a student satisfied with what you taught them, definitely.
Pros
free giveaway stuff, free snacks from time to time, good atmosphere, and very valuable classes.
Cons
until now, everything is great for me, i don't have anything to complain about.
Student
Student (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WISeptember 29, 2014
Excellent place to earn an associates degree in printing & publishing.
School work and pay
Math Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIJune 3, 2014
It was a very good job.

It gave me time to do my homework while helping fellow students with theirs.
Opportunites abound
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIFebruary 14, 2014
There is no typical day at work. Never bored. Ongoing educational opportunities.
Pros
ongoing education
Cons
union
High level of education and cares about their students.
EMS Skills Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIDecember 20, 2013
Affords their students with high level of technology and promotes excellent quality education
Great work environment. Got to utilize my communications skills to help college students with various course work.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WINovember 18, 2013
I got to assist college students with various assignments, testing, etc.
Pros
getting to help others
Cons
teachers failing to supply syllabus
Fun work environment
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIMay 29, 2013
A typical day of work involves guiding young prospective students around campus and teaching them about programs that they are interested in. Management was great to work with and they are very understanding when it comes to scheduling around school. Co-workers are fellow students so its pretty easy to get along. The hardest part of the job is learning all the required information.
Part-Time Communications Instructor
Adjunct instructor (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIMay 22, 2013
Grading and Preparing for Courses at Home, Courses Conducted Primarily at the Appleton Campus, Summer Courses, Accelerated Courses during the Fall and Spring Semester, Assisting Students in Creating Resumes and other Workplace Documents, Speech Course in Public Communication
Pros
excellent support from supervisory staff, events available for adjuncts from every department to socialize and compare notes
Cons
it's an hour drive from my apartment, but i actually liked having an hour to myself to prepare mentally.
Work Study Program
Work-Study - Computer Lab Aide (Former Employee) –  Clintonville, WIMarch 11, 2013
I was involved in a work study program. I was quickly integrated into the work environment. I learned a great deal about working in an office atmosphere.
Mislead into position.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  OshkoshMarch 7, 2013
I worked as an instructor at FVTC. I was mislead into the position and was told later of the expectations of the positions. After I had already relocated my family from another state. I made the most of it and attempted to accomplish the expectations of the instructor position anyway. After I relocated, I was told that my salary was solely dependent on the contracts I brought in to FVTC. I accepted the position as an instructor and not as a salesman for the college. My co-workers offered little help since they were on common ground with me as an contract trainer/instructor. Competition to land contracts to make good with the salary goal mind set kept the team work to a minimum. Only helped when they felt they needed to.

Long hours that did NOT offer the family/work balance I was told I would have. No matter how long I worked or how much I did, it never seemed like it was enough to the department lead person and dean.

Also, was told that I had to "self train" myself on machinery I was not familiar with. Cross training was not part of their initiatives for new instructors. I had to accomplish an impossible amount of responsibilities to the position set forth upon me. Teach courses, Contract Train, Self train on machinery, Locate potential clients and attempt to maintain a healthy family/work balance. It was not possible. I truly believe I was setup for failure by my dean and lead person. Hence, why I no longer work at FVTC.

On the positive side, I gained experience as an instructor and did get to meet people in the field. FVTC does pay their instructors very well. Yet, one
  more... must ask oneself is the money worth it ?

If acting in the role of a salesman is your thing, then maybe this is the right position for you. I would lean on the side of caution if you shall decide to pursue a career at FVTC. Make sure you have them explain ALL the expectations and responsibilities of the position before you make any decision to accept the position.

If your goal is to be an instructor and work with students. You will be disappointed with this position as it will demand other responsibilities such as being expected to contract train as a salesman trainer/instructor and work long hrs with very little to any support in terms of cross training.

When I worked at FVTC, I had more stress and anxiety in my life then I ever had. Just sharing my experience. Take it for what it is.

Ultimately, everyone is different and has to make their own decisions. FVTC was not for me. Maybe, it is for you.

Good luck.
Pros
experience
Cons
stress, anxiety, misleading, salesman roles, no cross training, 2 year probation period, no family/work balance as promised.
This was a great student job.
Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Student ServicesJanuary 25, 2013
I was a peer advisor for the other IT students and I helped them register for classes, schedule their classes, plan out their semester, and answer any other questions they may of had. The management was great, they schedued my hours around my classes and were always their to help. I really enjoyed being able to help a student that was becoming overwhelmed by the stress of balancing classes, work, and life.
Pros
helping people, flexable hours
Very supportive community of co-workers
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIMarch 2, 2012
The culture here is outstanding. So much support and many positive attitudes. I couldn't say enough about how everyone just seemed happy to help. The only issue I ran into was because most positions are union and require going through the union when something needs to be changed.
Pros
fantastic culture.
Cons
a little hard to get around union restrictions.

4.5