Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy

Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy Employee Reviews in United States

Look elsewhere!!!
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLFebruary 18, 2016
If you would like to work at a factory then you should apply here. Hundreds of cases all like an assembly line. You do the same thing every day, every hour, during your entire career there. Yes you get great benefits but the salary isn't very good. If you do negotiate a good salary for yourself then you can say that you will have a good salary and good benefits but a horrible working environment. The management is terrible, the environment is terrible. I am not saying there aren't any good days but overall this place will suck the life out of you and will make you miserable. There are people who have been working here for many years and have stayed because of salary and because of fear of change but they are all extremely unhappy working there.

Everyone has different experience but I know this is the overall consensus!
Benefits
Cons
Everything else.. Low salary, factory work, poor management, etc.
Great opportunity to learn.
Corporate Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 1, 2016
There is a great opportunity to learn at Fragomen, and to grow yourself professionally. The Atlanta office is somewhat laidback; however, the company does not seek to have long term employees. They only look to keep employees for about two years; therefore, there is a high turnaround. I am a highly respected contributor so I have been part of the firm for longer, but this is unusual.
Fun workplance, lovely employees
Assistant Paralegal I (Temp) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 24, 2015
I enjoyed temping here. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I also liked learning more about immigration and how to process and file the forms.
Very professional environment
Legal Billing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Matawan, NJSeptember 10, 2015
I really enjoyed learning new billing practices while working at Fragomen. It was interesting to be able to assist other departments and learn from them as well.
Assistant Paralegal (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2015
The law firm as a whole operates under a hierarchical system. As a paralegal, you must do all the paper work and filing that no one else wants to do. The work space is comfortable but management does not have an open-ended communication system. They don't care about you unless you inconvenience them.
Pros
Monday Fruit & Snacks/ Friday Bagel breakfast
Nice law firm
Senior Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 27, 2015
Productive and fun workplace with benefits. Huge amount of red tape and politics, which is normal and expected in the corporate world. Overall, I was happy while working there.
Pros
Good salary, close to my home
Cons
Stressful
Good work environment and great coworkers
Assistant Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Addison, TXMay 16, 2015
As an Assistant Paralegal, I handle a caseload of NIV, PERM and AOS related cases on a daily basis. My manager and co-workers are supportive and the work environment is generally really congenial. The hardest part of the job is the heavy caseload during the H-1B CAP season. I generally enjoy my job.
Duties
Administrative Assistant/Internship (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 11, 2015
• Create letters of invitations for business work visas
• Create customer support letters for business work visas
• Update spread sheets with client information
• Data entry
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Compensation is low
Very client-oriented practice
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 16, 2015
Fragomen is recognized as the world's leading immigration law firm. They provide comprehensive immigration services, permanent transfers and the local hire of foreign workers. In general, the firm is productive and very client-oriented.
High expectations
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2015
This firm is the definition of work hard; play hard. While training can leave a little to be desired in terms of guidance, senior paralegals are often not given the tools on how to manage coworkers if it is their first management position. Attorney expectations for perfection is constant.
Pros
Cons
Perfection required
Not A Bad Place
Immigration Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXMarch 30, 2015
I didn't work for Fragomen for a long time, but this was only because I had to leave for personal reasons. FDBL is what you would expect out of the largest global immigration firm - heavy work load and occasional long nights. The attorney's I worked under were very knowledgeable in their practice area, and were very supportive of their teams.
Pros
Flexible work schedule as long as you got your 40 hours in, helpful coworkers, positive environment
Cons
the system for data management is awful.
Company takes care of you
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2015
Good compensation, caring management, good benefits, long hours, stressful work, I like working here. If you're a paralegal, I would just look towards law school. That is where the real career advancement is.
Not recommended
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2015
As an attorney, if you are looking for an exciting environment, this is not a place for you. Not much of communications between partners and associates. There is no mentoring structure. Just like any other boring office setting, filling out forms, not much of autonomy in handling issues with clients. Granted, they have big clients. Therefore, it is somewhat understandable why they do who they do. But, you would feel like you are a factory worker in a streamlined factory. Consequently, creativity is not encouraged. Just do what they have done in the same way, although you may disagree. Personally, I was not able to motivate myself other than pro bono work. It can be different by a team as each team works like a small firm and there is no communication across the teams. This firm is more like aggregate of a number of small firms. Depending on the team you are in, you will find yourself being pigeonholed in a few area of visa classifications. Well, the primary reason that I had was a higher salary than most of small firms at the expense of being bored. It can be different once you make a partner, but I did not have that chance.
Work Place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXSeptember 24, 2014
It was a good pace to work. I wished we had worked as a whole team
Challenging Work Environment
Corporate Immigration Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  TexasAugust 21, 2014
The Fragomen firm requires a great deal of hard work. A typical day begins early and ends late, but the work is interesting. There is not a lot of interaction with co-workers because everyone is busy.
Great atmosphere
Temp (Former Employee) –  Matawan, NJAugust 10, 2014
This was an awesome place to work. It is the world's largest immigration firm. I was trusted with clients very personal information.
This place SUCKS
Assistant Paralegal (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 15, 2014
Not professional I know, but neither is this place so...

Typical Day/ Week- Arrive log onto time tracking system, type all day long (you're a glorified data entry worker), talk to clients (who can't speak coherently in English or any other language), attempt to meet with your supervisor (who probably won't be in the office). Once or twice a week food will be thrown out to incentivize you not to fall into a comma and that the powers that be actually care about you (they don't). You will arrive at 9 am and leave at 7 or 8 pm, they say you get an hour for lunch, but not if you want to go home at a decent hour.

What I learned- What glitters is not gold or even pewter for that matter.

Management- Narcissistic, glib, greedy, shallow, pretentious, disingenuous, mediocre (at best), disorganized, deceitful, and unattractive ( yes, I went there).

Co-workers- not that bad, but also not that great. Everyone pretends to be friends and get along, but the only thing that binds them is a paycheck.

Hardest part of the job- the job ( filling out immigration forms) is not difficult, but the unrealistic expectations of customers and management make the job not worth the effort.

The most enjoyable part of the job- getting paid and leaving.

BTW-- I suspect we're in a sick building due to the damage from Sandy.

My recommendation is to seek employment elsewhere.
Pros
paycheck, pto, benefits packages
Cons
everything else ( hours, work environment, co-workers, overtime
Productive and fun
Senior Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIJune 2, 2014
The most organized law firm. They take time to train. Promotions are also done within the firm. Great place to work.
Excellent Firm to Work For
Temporary Team Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 28, 2014
This firm provided me with an excellent job, with great management and co-workers. The benefits offered for full-time employment were excellent as well. The only downside was that the job security was low, as I was laid off when cutbacks were needed.
Pros
excellent firm to work for
Cons
low job security
great on the job training
LEGAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 19, 2014
A typical day: Manage and supervise case work for immigrant and nonimmigrant visas; Prepare and file visa application; Collect documents and outline strategies for source of fund reports in EB-5 immigrant visa application; File cases to USCIS in a timely manner and adhere to deadlines; Perform administrative duties, filing, copying, data entry, Answer phone calls and emails and respond to client questions, manage client database and spreadsheets