Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy

Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy United States Employee Reviews

High expectations
Paralegal (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 6, 2015
Pros: Culture
Cons: Perfection required
This firm is the definition of work hard; play hard. While training can leave a little to be desired in terms of guidance, senior paralegals are often not given the tools on how to manage coworkers if it is their first management position. Attorney expectations for perfection is constant.
Not A Bad Place
Immigration Paralegal (Former Employee), Addison, TXMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Flexible work schedule as long as you got your 40 hours in, helpful coworkers, positive environment
Cons: the system for data management is awful.
I didn't work for Fragomen for a long time, but this was only because I had to leave for personal reasons. FDBL is what you would expect out of the largest global immigration firm - heavy work load and occasional long nights. The attorney's I worked under were very knowledgeable in their practice area, and were very supportive of their teams.
Company takes care of you
Paralegal (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 16, 2015
Good compensation, caring management, good benefits, long hours, stressful work, I like working here. If you're a paralegal, I would just look towards law school. That is where the real career advancement is.
Not recommended
Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 4, 2015
As an attorney, if you are looking for an exciting environment, this is not a place for you. Not much of communications between partners and associates. There is no mentoring structure. Just like any other boring office setting, filling out forms, not much of autonomy in handling issues with clients. Granted, they have big clients. Therefore, it is somewhat understandable why they do who they do. But, you would feel like you are a factory worker in a streamlined factory. Consequently, creativity is not encouraged. Just do what they have done in the same way, although you may disagree. Personally, I was not able to motivate myself other than pro bono work. It can be different by a team as each team works like a small firm and there is no communication across the teams. This firm is more like aggregate of a number of small firms. Depending on the team you are in, you will find yourself being pigeonholed in a few area of visa classifications. Well, the primary reason that I had was a higher salary than most of small firms at the expense of being bored. It can be different once you make a partner, but I did not have that chance.
Work Place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Addison, TXSeptember 24, 2014
It was a good pace to work. I wished we had worked as a whole team
Challenging Work Environment
Corporate Immigration Law Clerk (Former Employee), TexasAugust 21, 2014
The Fragomen firm requires a great deal of hard work. A typical day begins early and ends late, but the work is interesting. There is not a lot of interaction with co-workers because everyone is busy.
Great atmosphere
Temp (Former Employee), Matawan, NJAugust 10, 2014
This was an awesome place to work. It is the world's largest immigration firm. I was trusted with clients very personal information.
This place SUCKS
Assistant Paralegal (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 15, 2014
Pros: paycheck, pto, benefits packages
Cons: everything else ( hours, work environment, co-workers, overtime
Not professional I know, but neither is this place so...

Typical Day/ Week- Arrive log onto time tracking system, type all day long (you're a glorified data entry worker), talk to clients (who can't speak coherently in English or any other language), attempt to meet with your supervisor (who probably won't be in the office). Once or twice a week food will be thrown out to incentivize you not to fall into a comma and that the powers that be actually care about you (they don't). You will arrive at 9 am and leave at 7 or 8 pm, they say you get an hour for lunch, but not if you want to go home at a decent hour.

What I learned- What glitters is not gold or even pewter for that matter.

Management- Narcissistic, glib, greedy, shallow, pretentious, disingenuous, mediocre (at best), disorganized, deceitful, and unattractive ( yes, I went there).

Co-workers- not that bad, but also not that great. Everyone pretends to be friends and get along, but the only thing that binds them is a paycheck.

Hardest part of the job- the job ( filling out immigration forms) is not difficult, but the unrealistic expectations of customers and management make the job not worth the effort.

The most enjoyable part of the job- getting paid and leaving.

BTW-- I suspect we're in a sick building due to the damage from Sandy.

My recommendation is to seek employment elsewhere.
Productive and fun
Senior Paralegal (Former Employee), Troy, MIJune 2, 2014
The most organized law firm. They take time to train. Promotions are also done within the firm. Great place to work.
Excellent Firm to Work For
Temporary Team Support Specialist (Former Employee), Irvine, CAMay 28, 2014
Pros: excellent firm to work for
Cons: low job security
This firm provided me with an excellent job, with great management and co-workers. The benefits offered for full-time employment were excellent as well. The only downside was that the job security was low, as I was laid off when cutbacks were needed.
great on the job training
LEGAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Irvine, CAMay 19, 2014
A typical day: Manage and supervise case work for immigrant and nonimmigrant visas; Prepare and file visa application; Collect documents and outline strategies for source of fund reports in EB-5 immigrant visa application; File cases to USCIS in a timely manner and adhere to deadlines; Perform administrative duties, filing, copying, data entry, Answer phone calls and emails and respond to client questions, manage client database and spreadsheets
great benefits
Assistant Paralegal II (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 18, 2014
great benefits, decent pay, and employee activities, and high case load
Stressful environment with main focus on maximizing profit for mgmnt.
Paralegal (Former Employee), San DiegoMarch 23, 2014
Pros: most coworkers are great, learn a lot about immigration, ok benefits
Cons: atmosphere, parking issues, unisex bathrooms (not enough), no break rooms
Incredible stressful office with very little appreciation for how hard staff works. No tangible opportunities or focus for advancement or career development and staff has huge case loads on a day-to-day basis due to being understaffed. Regularly go through layoffs based on seasonal needs and very poor morale among staff. Cramped offices or mini-cubicles and office hot in summer and cold in winter.
Productive and fun place to work.
Assistant Paralegal 2 (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 4, 2013
Pros: free lunches, great co-workers, benefits, salary
Cons: stressful, too much work and not enough people
From the beginning to the end of the day you are on your email nonstop. Reading and answering emails promptly. Dealing with immigration case matters. Contacting the employer or employee directly to answer any legal matters necessary to complete the case. Fill out paperwork, write support letters, call U.S. government, speak with attorneys, sit in on-calls, and review case matters with manager or attorneys. Entering data into our system. Reviewing files.

I learned a lot about the immigration process in terms of where it begins to where it ends. Being sponsored by a company in a certain classification of a visa depending on the immigrants educational background and work experience.

Management was fantastic. My direct boss was the best boss I've ever dealt with. She was friendly, helpful, and very good at her job.

My co-workers became friends. I still keep in touch with them on a weekly basis.

The hardest part of the job was making sure all task were handled in an efficient and timely matter. There are only so many hours in the day and at times, the case work given exceeded the normal 8 hour work schedule. You needed to stay late in order to ensure all your assignments were on pace to be completed at its necessary deadline.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people on my team. I cannot say it enough, the team I worked with was the best group of people I've been around in the work environment. From the attorneys to my peers as paralegals, they were all great people.
Greedy partners and unqualified legal staff
Associate Attorney (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 25, 2013
Depressing place to work. Associate attorneys are expected to work until midnight or later each night on largely mundane casework. The partners' main motivation is increasing their profit.
Great place to work.
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 21, 2013
Great place to work. Everyday is different which keeps you on your toes.
The biggest and best
Paralegal (Former Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 15, 2013
Pros: fun office events, co-workers feel like family, low turnover
Cons: fast pace, stressful at times
Compared to its competitors, the work environment and pay cannot be beat!
Productive and successful firm.
Office Services Supervisor (Current Employee), Matawan, NJOctober 3, 2013
Pros: lunches, champagnes toasts, holiday events
Cons: small amount of micromanagement
Overall, the individuals here are diverse, and culturally experienced in the Global Immigration field. Fast-paced but challenged in my daily tasks. I keep up with all 220 employees and work as the Office Manager's Supervisor to keep order through the office. We handle everything from inventory up to Team events and everything in between. I enjoy working with my close nit team of 7 people in Office Services and we communicate well to get the job done. This place is great to me, but I will be graduating with my Masters shortly and looking to advance in my career.
Temp-Document Coordinator Asst (Former Employee), Matawan, NJAugust 21, 2013
Pros: beautiful cafe, keurig machines, coffee, bagels
Cons: temp job
Awesome job with awesome people. I was able to provide assistance with several people in the Global Visa department.
Productive and great work environment
Payroll Manager (Current Employee), Matawan, NJAugust 19, 2013
I work within the Finance Department as well as a liasion for Human Resources. Payroll is processed on a semi-monthly basis for the US Payroll and Canada Payroll.

About Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy

Fragomen is recognized as the world's leading immigration services provider. Immigration is not just a practice area within our – Read more

Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy Salaries