Francis Marion University Employee Reviews

Great place to gain experience
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCDecember 21, 2016
The lab assistant job was a great place to gain some experience in a chemistry setting. As a student worker, I was able to work around my schedule. While I was working, it was my job to prepare any chemicals and gather any equipment that would be needed by the following class.
Small University
Fluorescence Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCDecember 12, 2016
FMU does very well with what they have. It is a small liberal arts college and science is often left behind. With that being said, they do very well given the hurdles that face today's academic research.
Pros
Excellent Staff
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Go Pats!
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCSeptember 20, 2016
Working for the University I was attending was such a great experience. It made me appreciate our faculty and staff and the University itself so much more. I was able to give back to such a wonderful school that was giving me so much in many different ways. I loved being able to interact with the incoming freshman class and transfer students while working alongside my peers and some professors. I have many connections from this experience and grew so much as a student and a person. I recommend this to anyone who is interested in being involved in making a difference in someones educational experience the way my orientation leaders did for me. It makes a difference in the way people view your school as well if the first people they meet are warm, welcoming, and eager to help.
Gives the opportunity to work closely with students and gain teaching experience
Chemistry Tutor (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCMay 25, 2016
Working with the students is great and I enjoy the opportunity to gain teaching experience. You won't get many hours so the paychecks are pretty small, but it is enough to help pay for groceries or a phone bill. Some professors are more difficult to work with than others when it comes to making sure you are on the same page with them on the material they are covering with the students. Overall, it was a great working experience.
Pros
You gain experience and watching students enjoying what they are learning is a great feeling.
Cons
The pay isn't great if you don't work many hours.
Great Place to Work
Adjunct Professor, Teaching Assistant/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCMay 25, 2016
Great and supportive atmosphere with quality students who care about their performance. Great food at the cottage where it is $5.00 for a great meal (buffet style).
Great environment to learn and grow in.
Captain of Basketball Team (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCMay 5, 2016
Within my major, I learned different things and how to apply them in my life when I work for a company. The hands on learning that the professors provided and their willingness to help was a great opportunity for growth. I learned the basic accounting, auditing, management, finance, and marketing techniques and skills.

The hardest part about this job was traveling for basketball and coming back to catch up on all your work and making sure you understand everything that went on while you were away but other than that I loved everything about it because my relationship I had with my professors helped a lot.
Loved it there!
Student Worker/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCMarch 30, 2016
This was my very first job. It helped me gain many skills that I use today. I wouldn't have traded that job for the world. It helped me with my speaking skills, math skills, etc
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCOctober 2, 2015
I earned my degree there and it was fabulous to be able to work there as well. Most days were spent doing grant research and communicating with my employer. I worked remotely and was able to make my own work schedule.
Pros
Worked remotely
Simple and easy job
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCSeptember 17, 2015
It was a simple experience. Very easy and laid back. Co-workers was very nice and fun to talk to. Management was polite and good people to work for. There wasn't really any hard part about the job, everything was fairly easy. The most enjoyable part was just working at your own past with minimum supervision.
Pros
leniency
Cons
short break
Productive, diverse opportunities
Sports Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCJune 4, 2015
It was very productive and I obtained hands-on experience in a multitude of areas. I became an even stronger writer, broadcaster and communicator. A day included sending press releases, editing and producing video and even interviewing coaches and players from the university. Management was cordial, respectful and gave me opportunities to develop and hone my skills. I was given freedom to be creative and think outside the box. Also, much trust was placed in me and my passion for research, fact-checking and being fair while calling games and speaking with student-athletes and coaches. The most difficult part of the job was the long hours, which is to be expected. I most enjoyed the chance to get experience in so many diverse areas.
Pros
Hands-on experience
Cons
Healthcare
Productive Workplace
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCApril 22, 2015
Great job to meet and get to know new people. Love Helping freshman with their college journey. Hardest part of the job is putting your foot down
Fun and productive
FMU Camera Operator/Reporter (Former Employee) –  FLORENCE,SCJanuary 5, 2015
I learned how to shoot and edit video. Having to report news taught me the importnce of news.
Fmu
Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCJanuary 3, 2015
Great overall experience. I've learned a lot working here.
Productive workplace that provides overall safety for all residents staying in campus housing
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCNovember 22, 2014
I oversaw campus housing to ensure that every student on campus was secure and safe while on campus. Housing directors assisted us whenever there were issues out of our control.
Awesome Music Program!!
Assistant Piano Instructor (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCNovember 16, 2014
Even though the Music Program is still new, the professor and students wasted no time in their efforts to make this an outstanding program. These professors understand their students' capabilities and gives them a chance to be heard by performing and studying with different producers, singers, and songwriter across the globe as well as make sure their students put their own work out to be discovered by many recording labels, schools, etc.
Pros
Student Performances
Cons
Short breaks
great place
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCNovember 3, 2014
First experience working in administration. Learned a lot of important tasks. Great environment and people
Okay
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCOctober 7, 2014
Went by fast,co-workers were rude, my boss was awesome. Would do it again.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Co-workers
Great work enviroment
Graduate Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCOctober 4, 2014
Make and pull patient charts, answer the phone, review immunization records
I learned a lot about health care as a whole.
My supervisor was absolutely wonderful.
My co-workers were also wonderful caring people. Patients always felt loved.
The hardest part of the job was reviewing immunization records.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the work environment.
Pros
Flexible schedule, fun work environment
Cons
no benefits
College work/study job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCSeptember 15, 2014
This was a work/study job. It allowed me to gain great office experience and also gave me time to study for my classes.
Educational
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCAugust 11, 2014
Was given many opportunities to further my education and experience in the field

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Francis Marion University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4