Francis Marion University Employee Reviews

Student Worker
Student Worker in Media Center (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCSeptember 7, 2017
I worked in the media center and worked as a secretary. I would aid students in their book searches, as well as direct calls to the right personnel. Overall, the job was very laid back.
Anyone who "kissed" up to the president was given more career advancement
Director of Publications and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCSeptember 5, 2017
There are a number of law suits against this very political and racist institution. They keep everything under wraps. Whoever is willing to brown nose and do whatever the president wants, gets ahead.

I found it a very abusive place to work with jealous and backstabbling co-workers.
Convenience & Time to Study
Computer Center Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCSeptember 4, 2017
Working for FMU, I learned a lot, while handling the Computer Center and Media Center, as well as a period of time involved with the Production's Crew. The benefit of the job was the hours being between my classes during each semester, but unfortunate that students were only allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours a week. Also considering the payroll period to be biweekly, only getting paid $7.25 an hour. I enjoyed all of my supervisors and found that the job did not require much, allowing me time to get school-work done.
INSTRUCTOR OF NURSING (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCAugust 1, 2017
Planned and taught the Adult Health I Students. Lead clinical groups, graded papers. Tutored students, counseled students on future pathways and helped registration of next semester. Worked with hospitals to coordinate clincals.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Required a Doctorate within 6 years
In it for the Education, not for the Social aspect
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCMay 26, 2017
A typical day at Francis Maion University consisted of going to a nice sizeable class o no moe than 30+ students per 1 professor. What you learn depends on what you choose to major in . The hadest part of this unuvesity is the class picks due to stubbon professors on tenure. Most ejoyable part of FMU is making friends and networking connections for the future. Most annoying is the school's wifi.
Pros
4 - Year University
Cons
Communication and Wifi
Fun work place
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCMay 22, 2017
Resident Assistant was a great job that worked well within my daily schedule as a student at Francis Marion University. All of my residents were friendly and respectful of the guidelines I provided for them. My co workers and I provided a safe and fun environment for all of our residents.
Pros
Free housing
good place to work
Assistant to the Director of the Physical Plant (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCMay 22, 2017
Enjoyed my time at Francis Marion but was not able to advance due to lack of a degree. My direct supervisor was wonderful and taught me many things about business.
Pros
learned a lot about software and management
Cons
no further advancement available, long commute
Definitely areas to improve in
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCMay 16, 2017
Most people are great. Administrative structure is very flat. This may be good or bad depending on needs. Good support for faculty to travel. University campus is not in a desirable area, but expansions into the downtown area are encouraging.
FMU Phonathon is a great experience for students.
Phonathon Student Caller (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCMay 10, 2017
Francis Marion is a wonderful experience for Francis Marion students, because it helps them get involved on campus, and help them network for their benefit.
Pros
Free lunch, good pay, job skills.
Cons
No cons
Good experience with the tutoring center
MATH TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCApril 18, 2017
If you're looking to teach as a career, the tutoring is a good place to work at. It's a great opportunity to practice explaining concepts to students as well as getting used to different learning styles. The tutoring center also teaches you about time management and organization.
Pros
Pick your own hours
Cons
Only lasts until finals week
Fmu
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCApril 11, 2017
FMU is a great state school for central South Carolina. I enjoyed my relationships that I was building with the staff at the University. Focus on staff is definitely high.
Great!!!
Student Computer Assistance (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCMarch 30, 2017
A typical day would be me cutting on all the computers in the library and filling up the printer with paper. I've learned many new skills working here. The hardest part about working here was catching on to things but now I'm good at everything I'm required to do
Wonderful opportunity and the students are the greatest!
Mathematics Instructor (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCMarch 11, 2017
The hardest part of my job is to motivate students to work and study mathematics who have never seen the point before. It's a challenge but with my passion for mathematics and mathematics education is obvious and transfers to my students.
Fmu
Assistant Instructor of Nursing (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCFebruary 12, 2017
This is a great organization. I thoroughly enjoyed this experience. Learned a lot, met a lot of great individuals, and gained many friends.
Friendly, Easy-going Environment
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCJanuary 6, 2017
As a student worker, the expectations of the staff for me were limited to clerical type work. This job was fairly easy and they worked with my busy schedule.
Pros
allowed to listen to music while filling papers
Cons
tasks are sometimes boring
Great place to gain experience
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCDecember 21, 2016
The lab assistant job was a great place to gain some experience in a chemistry setting. As a student worker, I was able to work around my schedule. While I was working, it was my job to prepare any chemicals and gather any equipment that would be needed by the following class.
Small University
Fluorescence Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCDecember 12, 2016
FMU does very well with what they have. It is a small liberal arts college and science is often left behind. With that being said, they do very well given the hurdles that face today's academic research.
Pros
Excellent Staff
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Go Pats!
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCSeptember 20, 2016
Working for the University I was attending was such a great experience. It made me appreciate our faculty and staff and the University itself so much more. I was able to give back to such a wonderful school that was giving me so much in many different ways. I loved being able to interact with the incoming freshman class and transfer students while working alongside my peers and some professors. I have many connections from this experience and grew so much as a student and a person. I recommend this to anyone who is interested in being involved in making a difference in someones educational experience the way my orientation leaders did for me. It makes a difference in the way people view your school as well if the first people they meet are warm, welcoming, and eager to help.
Gives the opportunity to work closely with students and gain teaching experience
Chemistry Tutor (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCMay 25, 2016
Working with the students is great and I enjoy the opportunity to gain teaching experience. You won't get many hours so the paychecks are pretty small, but it is enough to help pay for groceries or a phone bill. Some professors are more difficult to work with than others when it comes to making sure you are on the same page with them on the material they are covering with the students. Overall, it was a great working experience.
Pros
You gain experience and watching students enjoying what they are learning is a great feeling.
Cons
The pay isn't great if you don't work many hours.
Great Place to Work
Adjunct Professor, Teaching Assistant/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCMay 25, 2016
Great and supportive atmosphere with quality students who care about their performance. Great food at the cottage where it is $5.00 for a great meal (buffet style).