Fred's Super Dollar Employee Reviews

Assistant manager
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Camilla, GAAugust 8, 2015
Pros: healthcare benefits, various off days, flexibility
Cons: more hours, no overtime
I have worked with the company for 4 years. It has been a different and learning experience. I have worked my way up from cashier/stock person to assistant manager. My workday consist of returning merchandise,checking in vendors, opening or closing the store,preparing bank deposits and as well as customer service,ensuring that we have helped them to the best of our ability. My co-workers and I as well proud our services with a smile. The most enjoyable part of my job is a satisfied customer. The most disliked part of my job is rude people. However, when working with the public we learn to deal with different type situations. Overall I enjoy my job.
Working in retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Pascagoula, MSJuly 27, 2015
Working in retail has taugt me many valuable lesson of life. The company I have worked for was a good company but does not show many concern with the employees.
Not enough staff
Operations Expert/ Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Sumter, SCApril 26, 2015
This is a good idea for a retail store however, catering to the lower economic class puts the stores in poverty stricken area where shrink is high and security measures are lacking. Burnout rates are high among employees for this reason.
It ok
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee), Mize, MSMarch 25, 2015
It's ok. I just didn't make enough. I wasn;t getting enough hours.I was hired as a stocker but I also ran the register.My co-workers are great people. I made almost friends with almost every customer.
A very downcast work environment.
Cashier (Former Employee), Indianola, MSMarch 15, 2015
A typical day at work would include checking out customers, stocking shelves, and pricing items. I learned that there are many duties besides just checking out customers for someone working at a register. The management was very curt with employees and was not organized. There was no schedule made in advance so you never knew when you were going to be called in to work. My co-workers were nice, but never happy to be at work. The hardest part of the job was the disorganization. The most enjoyable part of the job was repricing items.
This is a great place to work.
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), Winston-salemFebruary 15, 2015
There aren't many chances for advancement but the work life/ personal life is pretty well balanced. The people I've worked with were very friendly and helpful.
I would work here again!
Assistant Store Manager of Operations (Former Employee), Cairo, GAJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: more stuff to buy than the other dollar stores.
Cons: people really didn't like the manager!
I worked at Fred's for almost a year and,well,it's not a job i want to do again under the manager I worked with. The job was great,but the manger made it hard to come to work everyday. I loved being an assistant manager and would do that again,if I had a chance. The people I worked with were great and alot other did their job.I would give this job all all 5s,but the manager makes it hard.
Supportive and understanding staff
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Bayou La Batre, ALDecember 14, 2014
Pros: 30 minute breaks
The management was wonderful as was the staff members.Steady work environment. Pay was good.
Relaxed environment
Cashier/Stock (Former Employee), Iuka, MSDecember 1, 2014
I loved working for Fred's. I enjoyed the work. I mostly put up stock. Sometimes I cashiered and I enjoyed that, but not as much as stocking the shelves. I liked the store hours and they closed early on sundays.
Good morale,
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Batesburg, SCNovember 20, 2014
Pros: great co-workers, great management
Cons: some rude customers
Working at Fred's was a great work experience. I got along with the co-workers just fine. I learned a wealth of things just by working for the company. One example has to be my social skills. Also working for the company has given me confidence and has allowed me to mature.
I loved it.
Cashier (Former Employee), Saltillo, MSNovember 18, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: not many hours
Fred's was a great job. Everyone was so nice and the store was the cleanest I've seen around. Great environment. I would recommend this job to anyone!
I enjoyed my job and working at Fred's.
Consumables Expert (Former Employee), Byron, GAOctober 7, 2014
I was the Consumables Expert. I loved working with customers and my co-workers. I would either be at the front of the store running the register and helping customers. I would also work in the back of the store stocking shelves and unloading trucks. The hardest part of the job was when I would work 2 or more weeks straight and didn't get to see my daughter that much. The most enjoyable part was being able to work with people. I am very outgoing and can make small talk really easily. I got along with just about everyone that I worked with. I can work together with a team or by myself if needed.
Challenging and customer focused.
Store Manager (Current Employee), Heflin, Al.September 29, 2014
Pros: write your own schedule
Cons: currently quite a bit of confusion on direction.
Can be very busy, company is in the process of changing directions
Love feeling like part of a family at this job.
Cashier (Current Employee), Piedmont, SCSeptember 5, 2014
Cons: hours cut to 2 days a week.
I work with six other people who make working there a great place to work.
Fun Work Place
Consumable Expert (Current Employee), Columbus, GAAugust 4, 2014
A typical day at work includes helping customers locate merchandise. Making sure all selves are fronted,faced and recovered at all times. Some days on the register taking care of transactions and handling money. I have learned A great deal of time management .The team and I assembled the store from the ground up, we walked in to a empty building and built it up into the store. I reviewed floor plans and set plano-grams. All of my co-worker are great we work well together, were more like family. During set up we leaned on each other for support many of us got hurt and beat up. The hardest part of the job is working in the warehouse. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people, I meet so many great people everyday. The people makes its all worth it.
Productive fast paced customer service
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Belton, SCMay 19, 2014
Pros: gift cards bonus, discount on products
Cons: health insurance
Started there as a cashier and worked my way to Asst. Manager. I learned how to assist customers when they were happy or mad. Learned how to do plan o grams and a lot about retail. Loved my coworkers and the favorite part of the job were the customers that came in.
good but wasn't for me
Operations Expert (Former Employee), McGregor, TXFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: great first job, animal friendly, getting to know the customers better
Cons: only full time gets benifits, part time could only have so many hours
well everything is planned out day by day and week by week but if you missed something then the whole thing fell apart and it was hard to catch up. but basicly you had a set job everyday. the cashiers did the register and got extra work from someone in management. the management did other things that the cashier could not reach. if you are looking for a first job i would recommend a store like this one. its not to over demanding and it teaches you all the basics you would look for in every other job. not many things to say about management in the store. co-workers are really good. hardest part would be when you get a really busy day and it feel like you aren't getting enough hours or they aren't paying you enough to do what they are asking. best part is on the days where everything just falls into place even after you got behind.
would NOT recommend to anyone
Store Manager (Former Employee), TennesseeDecember 20, 2013
Pros: store level co-workers
Cons: they want total commitment to their company with no expectation of a home life.
I prefer not to give a detailed review, but would not recommend this company to anyone. Store management to Fred's means everything from cleaning toilets, mopping floors, and stocking shelves to doing paperwork. Salaried management is required over 50 hrs per week often 60+hrs at times exceeding 80hrs a week with no compensation. Currently, there are pending lawsuits against Fred's for gender and age wage discriminations.
Solid minimum wage/part-time job.
Cashier (Former Employee), Benton, ARDecember 16, 2013
• A typical day consisted of cashiering, counting cigarettes, bringing in shopping carts, Customer Service, cleaning, some store recovery, and night closing duties.
• Drastically increased my cashiering skills.
• The management was above average.
• Half of my co-workers were difficult to work with, but the other half were pleasant to be around and team players.
• The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry/irritable customers.
• The most enjoyable part of this job was interacting with all of the polite customers.
Great people, Great environment,
Cashier (Former Employee), crossville,tnNovember 26, 2013
It was a great experience for my first job. I learned a lot about how to run a register, communication skills, and getting things done. My co workers were so great to be around. They always made it better working there. I had a wonderful manager and everything always ran smoothly. He let us know everything ahead of time.Very great place to work at! If i could go back i would.