Fred's Employee Reviews in United States

Good job if youre looking for part-time (after school), but it's nearly impossible to get full time hours. the store management needs improvement.
Operations Expert (Former Employee) –  n/aDecember 5, 2015
I worked there for less than a year. I enjoyed interacting with the customers, and the day went by quickly while running the register, because only one register was operated most of the time. The store was understaffed, and it was difficult to distribute hours fairly, mainly because of constant payroll cuts. Management (in the store) was based on a buddy system, and the scheduling was less than fair for most. I would be called in on my days off, and told that I "had to" come in to close, because certain people refused to close. The benefits were good, if you happened to be full time, but again, its hard to get full time hours. The "Zoo Day" pass was a "plus".
It was a very busy enviroment
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJanuary 28, 2016
Management was changing every month or so. To be honest there was actually no sense of management at all. I learned through all of it how to manage myself. Setting goals for myself allowed me to understand that I was already self disciplined and strong willed. I had to be competitive with myself. The most enjoyable part of the job was all the freedom, of which most people would take advantage of.
Company had high ideals but did not provide the support or advertising necessary for a cold start store.
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Laplace, LAJuly 21, 2016
Initially I found the company to be great to work for (well at least the District Supervisor ) unfortunately there were management changes and the new temporary DM's were clueless about store politics and the antics of previous pharmacists at the store. I had to do a transfer due to the company deciding to close several stores..the PIC at the store had inventory issues (and my store didn't) so he resented any input from me despite being told to implement some of the ideas I had had in place at my own store prior to its closing.

Ultimately we clashed and in time that store too was closed.
Cons
Long commute; lighting and prescription pricing disparities
Productive and busy work environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Headland, ALApril 7, 2016
Great management with many friendly customers. I learned how to run a cash register. Co-workers are fairly friendly and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job would be unloading the truck every friday morning. Most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with customers who have a great sense of humor.
Pros
One hour lunch break.
Cons
Getting paid every two weeks with minimum wage pay.
Productive and informative workplace
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 17, 2016
Work was knowledgeable, fun, and communicative. I've learned a lot about people's personalities and more about medicine. Management and the coworkers were excellent. The hardest part of the job was the downtime. The most enjoyable part was the interaction with people.
Pros
Lunchtime
Cons
After work
Great people to work with.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Troy, ALJune 23, 2016
Open store, count til and place draws in registers, count cigs and complete office paper work and check email to see if I have a conference call before. Start working on freight or planograms, if its a Tuesday vendors will be arriving around 9 and though out the rest of the day. Have to get them checked in and their paper work taken care off. Answer cashier's when they need overrides voids, layaway,refunds, or have gotten short on money. Answer customers questions throughout the day.
I learned how to open and close the store, how to check in vendors and complete panograms.
My manager was and is great, learned allot from him, my co-worker where great as well, it was like on big family. The hardest part about the job was not being able to really get ahead of the trucks that would come in on Fridays. We didn't have enough employees for the size of the store and not a big enough budget to employ them. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I would with.
Pros
The people I worked with
Cons
Upper management
fun fast paced never a dull moment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fernandina Beach, FLJuly 20, 2016
customers were enjoyable and made the day go by quickly.I learned so much from co workers not only fundumentals of the job but about everyday life and living.How to do things differently with the same out come easier. The hardest part of the job was probably not wanting to get everything done right now its like having ocd and being speedy at the same time.My most enjoyable thing again is custumers.. hearing them say how good something looks or smells or how great they feel making someone else enjoy what you have done is my enjoyment and my prize.
Pros
raises, lunches, thank yous
Cons
healthcare
Fun Place to work horrible management
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hope, ARNovember 15, 2015
Management of higher levels wasn't all that great, would cut your hours and not care much about it. The people I worked with was great, management always had something bad to say about other Assistant managers, I had a great time working with the customers and all that, the only thing I can say is it was a learning experience
Pros
great customers, great employees
Cons
benefits, pay, hours, upper management
New Boss
Operation Experts (Former Employee) –  Louisville, MSJune 23, 2016
I work in Fred's for a while with good training. I enjoyed the customers and the hours of work, so I could be home with my kids each night. I had been working for the company for months before the new boss transferred to the store. Things were going good for a while, until changes were taken over. It was more of a pick and choose with each employee. I wouldn't say racial issues but you could sense the racial vibe, because it was more black employees than whites. You could report an issue but then it would back fire on that one individual, so the new boss caused a lot of employee rates to go down.
Pros
enjoyed the customers
Cons
new boss
A good place for advancement.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Gladewater, TXMay 11, 2016
This company is a good and fair company to work for. We are always looking for new and creative was to ensure a good flow of merchandise. Employee's voices are heard and taken in for consideration. I have learned many different ways to use marketing and merchandising skills. Management is good and fair. Co-workers are eager to learn and ready to work. The hardest part of my job is to inform a customer that we do not or no longer carry a product that they are searching for. The most enjoyable part of my job is to end my day with happy customers and happy employees, which results in a happy store and great ratings over all.
Pros
Always room for advancement.
Cons
Retail is not for everyone.
No improvement
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Ocilla, GA 31774May 1, 2016
During working with Fred's, I a have not been able to "move up the ladder" per say. I have been over looked as a potential OE (assistant manager), that position was given to a younger person who has been there less time than me with no education.

My days there consist of helping customers find items that they need, collecting money for payment, and putting stock up off the truck when it comes in.

I have learned that your fellow co-workers talk about you even when you are not at work, I am not all about the drama. I go into work to do my job and greet my customers. I treat them with the same respect I want to be given.

The hardest part of my job is having to beg someone to come up and take over the register just to go to the restroom.

Enjoyable part of my job, meeting new people everyday and putting smiles on those faces of those I do know. and sometimes seeing people I went to school with.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Not being able to move up the ladder
Small fish in a big pond
Operations Expert (Former Employee) –  Spruce Pine, NCMay 16, 2016
Fred's is a small/medium sized retailer trying to make its way in a field of larger, more capable competitors like Dollar General, Family Dollar, Walmart, etc. The stores are generally located in small to medium sized towns where competition among discount stores is fierce. The stores are generally small in size, but pack a lot of merchandise in there. As a company, there's very little help from corporate level management in the day to day running of the store, and that's frustrating. The company wants you to do twice as much work with half as much resources. Very frustrating.
Pros
Easy to manage store sizes
Cons
Very little help from corporate
Fun co-workers, decent hours
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, GAApril 16, 2016
For the most part, I enjoyed my time working here. My co-workers were mostly really nice and fun to talk to. As someone with a lot of previous retail experience, my boss would always consult me on things involving the store as a whole and how to handle situations. The hardest part of the job was working 10-12 hours on delivery day and being rushed to finish work when the deliveries were late. My most enjoyable memories from this job was putting in hard work and being appreciated for it by my management team and getting along with everyone I worked with. A huge con for me was that my manager, despite allowing us to put in for time off for engagements and appointments, would try to make us work or would take those days for herself even after we put in the notice 2-5 weeks in advance.
Pros
Co-workers, hard work, decent hours
Cons
Management priorities, poor compensation even with experience
The Ups and Downs
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 22, 2015
I don't think they really do a great job of taking care of their employees. Its more of a you need to make your sales type of company. Opportunity for advancement is not likely unless you have been with the company for a while or you know someone who knows some who works in either a corporate office or knows a district manager. Your work ethic and what you do is normally not measured into anything that they decide to try and give you. I do enjoy making new acquaintances and making bonds with the customers. They really like the store and I try to do all I can to make sure that it is in the best shape and has all the products they need. What I do, there isn't much to it, but it is very time consuming and not everyone is cut out for it.
Pros
Company Paid Life Insurance, Free-bees to events, building bonds
Cons
Time consuming, demanding, low pay but high expectations
This was a good company to work for during college.
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Troy, ALAugust 15, 2016
The store manager worked with me due to being in college at time of employment. This was one of the major benefits of the store. I like the responsibility and challenge of being a third key and learning management skills, while taking business courses at Troy University. I felt this was perfect real life experience of what I was learning in class.
Pros
flexable schedule, convenient location to home and school
Cons
New store manager was disorganized, store closed
$2 billion retailer strong in achieving more with less
Executive Vice President, Chief Accounting Officer (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 1, 2016
Fred's offered a great training ground to learn the retail and pharmacy inside and out. In addition to the corporate accounting experience I had prior to joining Fred's, my responsibilities grew to include Accounts Payable, Tax, Risk Management, Treasury, Internal Audit and Planning and Analysis over my tenure. I joined the company as an Assistant Controller, and after less than 1 year, I was promoted to Vice President, Controller. My last year with the company was spent as the Chief Accounting Officer. During the last several years, I attended the company's Board meetings where I provided financial updates and guidance to the members. I also presented quarterly results on the company's earnings calls and was training to assume the investor relations responsibilities from the CEO for the year prior to my departure.

My decision to leave Fred's after 7 years and so much success was not an easy one. Fred's is a very lean organization. My success came with more hours and more responsibility, which I enjoyed. However, sufficient resources (IT and staffing) to meet the requirements was a continued struggle. To meet the quality and accuracy our team provided, working 6-7 days a week and 12-15 hours a day became the norm. That quality of life for years led me notify the CEO and the Board of my intent to depart, assist in a transition plan which included an on-going consulting arrangement, and take much needed time away from work to reevaluate my career and work/life balance.
Pros
Great people, opportunity to see and impact nearly every aspect of the business, business relationships development, hiring and training current rising stars in the company
Cons
sufficient resources (IT accuracy and availability and staffing (due to pay and lean environment), hours required to meet expectations
Fast Paced, A lot to do
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  AlabamaMay 9, 2016
Always reworking displays to improve sales,
Working backstock out to fill the shelves
Face to face customer interactions.
A lot of work to do with not always a lot of time to do it in.
Hardest part of the job would be getting all tasks done in a short amount of time and having to work in another project that gets sent down that needs to be finished before all other projects the same day.
The most enjoyable part is the regular customers. You build friendships with these people, and they share the personal lives with you.
Pros
Set your own schedule
Cons
A lot of work with not a lot of time.
Exciting and busy workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Morrilton, ARJanuary 25, 2016
A typical day at Fred's is not very typical at all. Everyday there is something new happening. That's where I learned easier ways of counting money and giving back change. The management was great. I loved my co-workers, we all got along so good. Hardest part of the job would be handling the difficult customers and the most enjoyable were the laughs we all shared.
This was a job...
Receptionist/Clerk (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXApril 1, 2016
Some employees were allowed to assault other employees with no regress. Hazardous workplace, a rare occasion where I would not do this again.
Pros
Pay and benefits only...
Cons
Hostile work environment
EmploymenT
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAFebruary 15, 2016
Management need more work. The attitude of the store manager is very unacceptable to employers and customers.She talk to people any kind of way and expect everyone to do what she says and talk to her in a respectful way. But like I always remind myself in order to get respect you have to give it. I have learned to keep my composure and stay calm in all situations.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fred's. Our community is ready to answer.