Fred's Employee Reviews in United States

Great work environment with many wonderful customers.
Server (Former Employee) –  Plant City, FLJanuary 19, 2016
I enjoyed my job at Fred's because I enjoy meeting and getting to know my customers. Although all of the co-workers sometimes wouldn't get along, we would always work everything out and continue working as a team to provide the best dining experience for our customers. I learned how to deal with difficult customers and how to approach a situation calmly but still in control, and I learned how to keep my customers happy with me to ensure that they will come back and see me. The hardest part of my job was certainly trying to pick up shifts and get more hours on my schedule, as I was a new server and did not have the upper hand like the servers that have been there for 3+ years. The management was also quite difficult for me, as I was always running into some sort of problem. I did get along with my managers quite well, but there were definitely a few flaws in the management system. What I enjoyed most about my job was not only the wonderful customers who made me look forward to going to work every day, but the wonderful family that I was working for. Overall, Fred's was a very enjoyable job and it provided a great work environment.
Pros
Buffet discounts, wonderful customers, flexible hours
Cons
Not guaranteed many hours, not great management
productive workplace
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSApril 11, 2016
I love to go to work I'm a workaholic that's in need of work I catch on quick and I'm easy to train.my past jobs were great a few I worked through temps they've helped me a lot in my past too present, but I'm not picky I have four kids I have to feed and I would truly thank my next employer with my great work ethic.Always on time and love to get the job done.My most recent job was great up until they started laying off people and cutting hours but that's all apart of business it was a laid back job environment as long as your work was getting done and I get the job done.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
very productive and a fun place to work
cashier (Current Employee) –  Princeton, KYApril 24, 2016
On a typical day you would get there and clock in and then there is a paper that has what your are supposed to do that day. It could be cleaning or stocking that day or zoning your area. In this job i have come out of my shell because of the public. My coworkers are all fun to be around and i can talk to them about anything. There really isn't any part of this job that is hard. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to talk to people all the time and talk with your co workers.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
short breaks for short amount of hours worked
very fast pace job with fun loving co-workers and pharmacist.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, TNNovember 19, 2015
A typical day at pharmacy was very high paced work. I learned so much during the five years I worked as a pharmacy tech, management there was awesome. my co-workers were very helpful. I say this because I was taught to be a pharmacy tech from ground up. the hardest part of job was learning each medication by its generic name. the most enjoyable part was dealing with customers and the great work environment.
Pros
working with great people
Cons
very few breaks
Great Pace Job
Service Expert (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAJanuary 2, 2016
Easiest job I've had they have room for advancement and growth. Hardest part of the job was layaways most enjoyable part of the job was doing refunds being a service expert having a key and doing something that made me feel accomplished.
Pros
quick advancement opportunities
Cons
according on who youre working for
Worst job I ever had
Inventory and Pricing Associate (Former Employee) –  Conyers, GAFebruary 24, 2016
Management was awful and rude. Pay was minimal, yet the workload was usually ridiculous. I could not wait to find better employment.
Pros
Cons
Terrible management, Sporadic schedules, bad pay
Great Experience
Consumable Expert (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSMarch 31, 2016
Working with freds aloud me to communicate with customers and aloud me to have more experience in management and retail.
Retail
Sr. Manager (Current Employee) –  Anniston, ALJanuary 5, 2016
This company leaves no room to advance. Benefits are to expensive. Not willing to help balance life of a single mom and work.
horriable
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bonifay, FLMay 11, 2016
worked for freds for almost 10 months and while i did make it to assistant manger i did not stay long due to poor upper management hiring people that had no since in working well with customers and also letting those such people become mangers as well over looking such management employees yelling at fellow co workers and customers and being way to laid back on other stuff as well
Cons
short breaks poor management and horrible healthcare
Management and employee moral
Apparel Lead and Tobacco Lead (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALJune 9, 2015
Management is a constant turn around at the store I worked at. Freds in general did not seem to care about employee moral at all. job advancement came to certain people easily and to other people advancement was never available. I was there four years and I felt very unvalued and I only received merit raises when I received a promotion.
Pros
wonderful customers and a few wonderful employees
Cons
did not value their hard working employees
Awful place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  White Bluff, TNFebruary 8, 2016
Freds is an awful place to work, the management is unprofessional and very disrespectful to customers and employees. You get lots of hours, but not great pay. I wish they would get management, and better pay.
Pros
hours
Cons
Good people to work with, and Meeting new people
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mount Holly, NCDecember 29, 2015
The hours were ok but the days you worked were not always the same, but the manager was a good person and the co-workers were good to work with. The hardest part of the job was working the evening hours and the best part of the job was the people I worked with.
Pros
Working with the People
Cons
not any benefits
Not a good place to work
Licensed Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Centerville, TNJune 19, 2016
I have worked for this pharmacy for almost 5 years. They don't care about their people. They cut hours and gave more work. They pay is terrible! The benefits are ok. I go above and beyond and it doesn't matter but only to the customers. It is not a well run company. It is good for anyone who does not have a family to support and just needs a part time job.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  White House, TNApril 11, 2016
A typical day at work was just a typical day, going in at the cash register and helping people when it was needed. Ive learned how to talk to customers in a manor way like I have been my whole life. The management was great, always made sure there employees where in good condition. The co-workers were very respectful. The hardest part was dealing with people that had a negative side of things about the store. I enjoyed the company with new people.
Typical Workday at Freds Discount
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 31, 2016
A typical work day at Freds Disount consisted of maintaining good attendance. After arriving i proceed to count my register and log in to check out our customers. As well as cashiering i also helped stock and unload merchandise truck. Our work hours varied but there werent any complaints as far as management or my co workers.
Fast Paced with a family like environment
Food Handler (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXFebruary 24, 2016
Opening the store i would set out all the condiments and begin taking orders. I learned how to communicate with customers and provide the service that would put a smile on their face. My boss was fair as well as sympathetic to meet my living needs. The hardest part of my job was closing. I had to clean everything and make sure the store was presentable for the next day. The most enjoyable part was interacting with the customers.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
grumpy customers
It was a diverse and well cultured environment.
Stocker/Checker (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARFebruary 25, 2016
I had culturally diverse co workers who enjoyed what they did. There was never a day of work that was the same as the last. A typical day, though, would have mostly been straightening up shelves and keeping them well stocked. Customer service is a given, but you can never tell what it might entail. The hardest part of the job would be working a long shift, and aching form standing up all day.
Pros
Relaxed work environment.
Cons
Inconsistent work schedule.
I loved freds. I just needed more help to keep from dispensing the wrong drug.
PHARMACIST IN CHARGE (Former Employee) –  Mendenhall, MSOctober 30, 2015
Corporate lowered the pharmacist in charge's salary from 110,000 to 88,000. We only had one tech the majority of the time. I often had to stay 2 hours late without pay to sort out the days work and reports. I really enjoyed helping the country people with their medicine. I learned the pdx system.
Pros
I WORKED 3 DAYS ONE WEEK AND 4 DAYS THE NEXT
Cons
NOT LUNCH, NOT BREAK, NOT BATHROOM, JUST WORK
fun work place
Cashier/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Ferriday, LAJuly 2, 2016
typical day at work was like hanging out with friends. i loved my coworkers. they become like family the hardest part was truck day ....trying to get everything out ..and dealing with rude costumer but when you work with the public its to be expected i guess. and the pay was not good at all. but a job is a job right.
typical day at work
Floor associate/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Ripley,TNSeptember 29, 2015
Arrive at work, wait for merchandise carrying truck to arrive, unload truck. Go to lunch, return and stock shelves until the end of your shift.
Pros
veryaccommodating management
Cons
poor pay, no benefits