Fred Finch Youth Center Employee Reviews in United States

Don't work here
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lemon Grove, CAJuly 22, 2016
not a good place to work. No support from agency. Obvious by actions taken that they have little regard for employees. Somewhat rewarding on a good day.
Pros
free meal
Cons
just about everything else
great place
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 3, 2015
This by far is the greatest place I have worked at so far. The administration staff are great and really supportive, but the pay is very low. l left because I couldn't afford my Master's program.
Great place to collaborate with other providers
Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 12, 2015
Great, committed individuals to work with. Largely community based programs allow working with a wide population. Frequent driving can be a hassle and tiring.
Great learning experience
Mental Health Therapist, IMF (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 1, 2014
I provided and facilitated group therapy to youth who experienced trauma and were removed from their homes for a variety of reasons. Group therapy allowed the youth to process their feelings as well as improve on their social and coping skills. It was definitely a job that allowed for personal career growth, as well. I carried a heavy caseload while with this job, and the paperwork was never too light. I gained much experience working with foster youth, as well as, furthered my career goals.
A well-rounded company providing quality social services to SD County
MFT Intern-Therapist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 14, 2013
Hours: 11:00am - 7:00pm
Group & Individual therapy for 6 - 18 year olds
Excellent group & individual supervision of BBS hours
Teamwork & flexibility were crucial to the success of the position
Trauma Informed Care was a focus of our work with the minors & the child care workers at Polinsky Children's Center
Pros
good benefits, involved management, supportive agency for acquiring hours towards bbs licensure.
Crash Course in Humanity
Special Ed. Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CaliforniaFebruary 10, 2013
This was the most physically and mentally challenging task I have ever undertaken. Many days left me physically and mentally battered, but the pay off was a functional understanding of what make each of us tick at the most essential, ground level of our humanity.

I have amazing stories from this experience. AMAZING.
Pros
a chance to make a real impact, very real personal connections, knowledge and experience of counseling and human support
Cons
very draining
Dynamic counseling position.
Home Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lakeside, CAMay 6, 2013
At Fred Finch Youth Center I began as a counselor and was promoted to Home Services Coordinator (HSC). Both positions were extremely complex and dangerous as the clients were very aggressive. That said I thoroughly enjoyed working there using a wide array of behavior modification techniques and counseling strategies with teens in crisis. As the HSC I was responsible for all counseling duties as well as menus, home care, needs, and anything involved in caring for the teens on the residential end of the program. Managed several staff members.
Pros
dynamic position.
Cons
violence
It could have been a great company
Overnight Residential Living Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 22, 2012
I love the clients I served unfortunately, the management tied the hands of their supervisors and first line staff. They allowed the clients to abuse staff. Safety was definitely a issue. The company had to close down.
Pros
meet great young people
Cons
not allowed to help the young people we served
N/a
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 29, 2015
It was good to work there. Everyone was nice and got along with each other. There are many families that you work with so you must be a strong people's person. Good hours. Management was good.
Supportive to personal and professional growth
Family Partner (Current Employee) –  chula vistaJune 24, 2013
I have learned to set personal goals for myself. I have learned from the community that I have worked with, diversity. I really enjoy the team willingness to help.
Pros
flexible hours
Very stressfully and demaning job as crisis counselor
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 20, 2014
Can not discuss detail of the job or clients per dod worked as a crisis management counselor.
Pros
can eat at work
Cons
liabilty is high
Fun work environment.
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Lemon Grove, CAAugust 30, 2013
Staffing is bar-none the best I have worked with. No day is ever the same. I would recommend it as a stepping stone into the mental health field.
Pros
benefits, every day is different.
okay
Housing Manager (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 6, 2014
not stable management team. the supervisor wasnt into working with the youth so she gave things to do with the youth
Pros
work with youth
Cons
needs better management
Great Work Place
Mental Health Counselor - Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAFebruary 18, 2013
Just sad that the Vacaville California location had to be closed.

::o(
Pros
great times together before the holidays
first job out ofcollege job
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAApril 17, 2012
was working here right after college, and shut down 6 months after i started there
Pros
good place to start
it's mental health
Overnight Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lemon Grove, CANovember 28, 2013
no real issues beyond lack of coverage for overnights... could be more family friendly
Management Unprofessional
Office worker-Administration (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 4, 2012
This is the worst company I ever worked for, administration management is unprofessional they like to play immuture games with staffs and set staffs up for failure so they can get rid of staffs they dislike. One manager comes to work with her mood swing and take her frustration out on staffs and sometimes yell at them. The company don't care enough about staffs to provide ergonomics workstation, a lot of the desks and chairs were donated from the 70's,80's & 90's which are worn out. They have some of the worst working condition, old smelly building that has mold growth and mold smell, and the company does not provide handicap accessible for wheelchair and disable person.If a employee has a problem with a manager there's no luck in resolving issue with HR and manager immediate supervisor because they will side with the manager. The company shows lack of appreciate toward staffs, they can't even provide free lunches, when management do give to its staffs it's a $5 Safeway giftcard, dollar store item, or something they made with the office supplies which is pathetic. I never seen a company with such a huge turn over in staffs like FFYC, people come and go because management is unprofessional and they will over work you for a little bit of money.
Pros
some positions are union
Cons
over worked
Company focuses on high performance standards
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CaliforniaApril 30, 2015
FFYC is a $33 million/per year non-profit umbrella organization that handles many different projects in several cities in California. In taking care of young adults and children with special needs, it does very well and is constantly seeking to improve itself.

A typical day for IT begins with addressing user and network node connectivity problems. The network engineer then works on several projects simultaneously on OSI layers 1, 2, and 3. Each week may include 1-5 meetings with staff and vendors. A typical day may include supervising vendors on-site. Airtravel might be expected with less than 8 hours notice.

Management can be quirky, but tends to let employees work without micro-managing. Straightforward communication can be a problem and the month may feature official and unofficial "training", some of which is mandated by local and federal governments, some of which appears to be idiosyncratic according to the tastes of the local manager. Management constantly seeks 24x7 support. Management is sometimes understanding, sometimes not.

Co-workers and user clients can be stressed from work overload and/or high expectations so the job requires diplomatic skills. Hardest part of the job is setting limits on what is expected and sticking to those limits tactfully.

Most enjoyable parts of the job include informal atmosphere and interactions with very good people as well as the client population. Working for non-profit psych/medical organization can be very satisfying.

Some managers work around the clock and expect work through holidays/weekends. It is typical
  more... to find Finance working past 9 PM on Friday night.  less
Pros
Good benefits, informal atmosphere, excellent staff. Opportunity to make a difference.
Cons
Puzzling inflexibility, odd illogical and difficult situations, management takes on projects without securing adequate resources, irksome informal training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fred Finch Youth Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9