Fred Finch Youth Center Employee Reviews

Mental Health Counselor
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 22, 2017
Everyday is different. Working here I learned that you need to take care of yourself because the job can be stressful overall.Hardest part of the job- More support from upper management.
Pros
Free lunches and dinner.
Cons
Short breaks, upper management
Fun place to work
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 7, 2017
Fred Finch is a great place to work with very good staff and management. The work can be stressful, but is very rewarding in the end. Great learning for those interested in getting into the field of social work.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Hard work
Tough place to wok
Care Coordinator/Behavior Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 20, 2017
I wanted to love this job. The families and co-workers were great, but management was pretty poor. They didn't address concerns and often put employees into unsafe situations. The compensation is pretty good, benefits and vacation are not great.
Pros
Compensation, work independently
Cons
no office space, poor management, unsafe situations
Unorganized
Behavior Technician (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 16, 2017
Poor organization, bounced checks, lack of communication, no reimbursement for mileage or cell personal cell phone usage, low-pay, lack of training, too much driving
Great place to work at
HR Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 5, 2017
Learned a lot about HR procedures
Handling ATS and HRIS systems
Flexible timing
Great work environment
Helpful peers and mentors
Organization doing great work with children
Stressful and Harassing Workplace
Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 25, 2016
This is an organization where some managers like to play nasty games to their department employees. Managers played favorites by assigning good promotion potential projects to employees they liked. Employees that have more work experience and better knowledge are given mundane and busy work. I knew an employee with a PhD degree doing clerical and data entry busy work. While another employee who is sociable but is a nasty backstabber and bully with lesser knowledge and background gets higher level work. Managers sided with bullies to force victims out. Managers also assigned duties to employees that they don't like but giving tasks that they are never good at. Employee with never get promoted because they will never be outstanding for doing the tasks that are their weakness. The workplace had a very heavy workload but very low pay. Hard work do not get rewarded or promoted. Medical and dental benefits are very cheap with high copays.
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
See Above
Great experience
Mental Health Therapist (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 22, 2016
This agency provides diverse exposure to multiple programs and populations. There are many opportunities to learn various intervention tools and utilize them. The agency provides great opportunities for growth.
Interacting with the youth
Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 15, 2016
My job is to assist transition aged foster youth with mild to moderate mental health issues learn life skills to prepare them for exiting foster care. I support them in an individualized approach with topics of cleaning, cooking, budgeting, etc. I am also available for emotional support when youth are in a crisis or need someone to talk to.
Very Low Pay, Heavy Workload, No Promotion Potential, Lousy Mgmt
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 11, 2016
I worked at the Fred Finch Youth Center doing data entry and numbers related work. The daily workload is super heavy compared to other similar size organizations. The pay is low with relatively little opportunities for advancement and promotion. Managers like to play favorites and plot a group of coworkers against another group of other coworkers. Coworkers are nasty and workplace bullying is common. They do not seem to care about workplace issues. The organization culture is just work. If you fail to perform, you will be showed the door.
Pros
Company picnics, Experience
Cons
Low Pay, Workload, Cheap Employee Benefits, Office Politics
Great Benefits and Care for Employees
Clinician, Therapist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 9, 2016
If you have the heart for service, this is a wonderful company to work for! I worked for Fred Finch on two different occasions because the company and people made it so great! The supervision was great and trainings were better than other places I've worked. Benefits are actually very competitive (although pay could be better, they are competitive with what's local). I found my supervisors to be generous about allowing flex and time off for self-care and family needs which is important to prevent burnout.

I enjoyed the work we did as I always felt like we were making a difference. I found it rewarding and special to get to collaborate with so many service providers and services involved in our client's lives.

The only con/reason I left was out of their control and that is the ridiculous amount of paperwork and high "productivity" demand which are really set by the County and not the company. After time, I experienced difficulty balancing the paperwork with the work itself. Unfortunately, that's the nature of the beast of caring for the kids, families, and clients they serve. Like many Medi-cal related programs, I think many of us also leave for higher paying jobs with far less paperwork stress.
Pros
They care about their employees, excellent benefits, flexible schedules, solid trainings (many offering CEUs if I recall correctly), wonderful coworkers who care about what we did
Cons
Pay could be better, Medi-cal paperwork, challenging productivity expectations
Slave Driver Culture
Administration (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 27, 2016
This workplace is overloaded with work and understaffed. The pay in this organization is low compared to other organizations with similar size. I was given so much work to do with so little time. I have to work extra hours every day. On the positive note, there is parking in this campus. The people in this organization is typical. Some are nice, but some people are very nasty. Beware!
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
Pay, Workload, stress, Staffing Level
Fun place to work with great team members.
Parent Support Partner (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 11, 2016
Brand new to San Diego and it was fun making rules as we went along. Management was great although the pay was not. Had company cars to use instead of your personal vehicle.
Pros
Lots of down time due to low client count.
Cons
Poor pay, no room for advancement.
Don't work here
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lemon Grove, CAJuly 22, 2016
not a good place to work. No support from agency. Obvious by actions taken that they have little regard for employees. Somewhat rewarding on a good day.
Pros
free meal
Cons
just about everything else
Great place to start in field of Social Services
Care Coordinator in Wraparound Program (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 19, 2015
This job has a lot of flexibility, but can be challenging as much of work is done in the field. The benefits are great. A caveat is that there are only small raises yearly. Not really any opportunity for advancement. Not the best supervision.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Decent Management
great place
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 3, 2015
This by far is the greatest place I have worked at so far. The administration staff are great and really supportive, but the pay is very low. l left because I couldn't afford my Master's program.
Great place to collaborate with other providers
Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 12, 2015
Great, committed individuals to work with. Largely community based programs allow working with a wide population. Frequent driving can be a hassle and tiring.
Company focuses on high performance standards
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CaliforniaApril 30, 2015
FFYC is a $33 million/per year non-profit umbrella organization that handles many different projects in several cities in California. In taking care of young adults and children with special needs, it does very well and is constantly seeking to improve itself.

A typical day for IT begins with addressing user and network node connectivity problems. The network engineer then works on several projects simultaneously on OSI layers 1, 2, and 3. Each week may include 1-5 meetings with staff and vendors. A typical day may include supervising vendors on-site. Airtravel might be expected with less than 8 hours notice.

Management can be quirky, but tends to let employees work without micro-managing. Straightforward communication can be a problem and the month may feature official and unofficial "training", some of which is mandated by local and federal governments, some of which appears to be idiosyncratic according to the tastes of the local manager. Management constantly seeks 24x7 support. Management is sometimes understanding, sometimes not.

Co-workers and user clients can be stressed from work overload and/or high expectations so the job requires diplomatic skills. Hardest part of the job is setting limits on what is expected and sticking to those limits tactfully.

Most enjoyable parts of the job include informal atmosphere and interactions with very good people as well as the client population. Working for non-profit psych/medical organization can be very satisfying.

Some managers work around the clock and expect work through holidays/weekends. It is typical
  more... to find Finance working past 9 PM on Friday night.  less
Pros
Good benefits, informal atmosphere, excellent staff. Opportunity to make a difference.
Cons
Puzzling inflexibility, odd illogical and difficult situations, management takes on projects without securing adequate resources, irksome informal training
N/a
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 29, 2015
It was good to work there. Everyone was nice and got along with each other. There are many families that you work with so you must be a strong people's person. Good hours. Management was good.
Very stressfully and demaning job as crisis counselor
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 20, 2014
Can not discuss detail of the job or clients per dod worked as a crisis management counselor.
Pros
Can eat at work
Cons
Liabilty is high
okay
Housing Manager (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 6, 2014
not stable management team. the supervisor wasnt into working with the youth so she gave things to do with the youth
Pros
work with youth
Cons
needs better management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fred Finch Youth Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5