Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Employee Reviews in United States

Overall Great place to work - pay low
Research Technician III (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 5, 2015
Pay is pretty low compared to most other similar companies. They make up for it with great health and retirement benefits though.
Pros
Awesome benefits, very cheap ORCA bus card
Cons
Pay is on the low end of industry standards
Not a review
VOLUNTEER AND INTERNSHIPS (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WaMay 21, 2015
This is not a review. I only participated in a philanthropic effort with FHCRC. We raised a lot of money for the cause which I am extremely proud of.
Never a Dull Moment
Administrative Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 28, 2015
The benefits can't be beat; the work is interesting and benefits mankind; faculty and staff are dedicated to the mission. The Hutch is undergoing some system-wide changes which should bring the institution up the present.
Pros
the benefits package, dedicated faculty and staff
Cons
there has been a senior leadership vacuum for a couple of years, lack of staff career path, pay is on the low side, the internal admin systems are difficult to navigate
Research Tech II (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 16, 2015
I love working here. In addition to the friendly people and atmosphere, this is a place where excellent research is done. There's even an advisory board that acts as liaison between employees and administration, and the administration actually listens! The only downside is funding; this is a non-profit that relies heavily on government funding, so when grants don't get funded, then neither do positions. Thankfully, Fred Hutch is also one of the top recipients for NIH and NCI grants in addition to other sources (i.e. Gates Foundation), and there's effort to move people within rather than layoff, so it's also fairly stable.
This is a good paying job
Facilities Operator Engineer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 20, 2015
Does IMPORTANT work for cancer research. A large and growing campus research facility with complex systems and opportunity for a wide range of work.
benefits
Cons
lots of walking, procurement system
I loved my job at the Hutch but hated the management structure. Putting it bluntly, it was a painful place to work. I would not work there again.
I served as Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 5, 2015
Pros
None that I can think of.
Cons
Poor managment stucture, 6 manager changes in less than 4 years while suppporting the same person does not lead to success.
Research
Lab Manager/Research Tech (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 8, 2014
I was involved in many different research projects at FHCRC. I learned alot about research and cell biology. The management and my co-workers were wonderful. The hardest part of the job was the unpredictability of the research. The most enjoyable was see the research we conducted make a difference in peoples lives.
Pros
flexible schedule, good benefits, great people
Cons
low pay, grant based positions
World renowned cancer research center
Certified Physician Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 3, 2015
Cutting edge cancer treatment center with world leaders in clinical trial research and novel therapeutic agents. Fully engaged in providing the best options for patient outcomes.
Great people doing excellent work helping others
Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 27, 2015
Strong academic culture.
Extremely dedicated and brilliant faculty with vision and passion.
No day is "typical".
Great opportunity to participate in programs that serve the healing of others.
A wonderful place to work
Lab Tech I (Former Employee) –  Seattle Wa.January 24, 2012
Working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center was a rewarding experience for me. The people are from many cultures, backgrounds, and lifestyles, working together to research and help save lives.
Pros
excellent benefits!
Cons
pesonally i did not have any cons

Want to know more about Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center?

Ask a question
Top of the line lab environment with new age technology
Lab Intern (Current Employee) –  seattle, washingtonApril 22, 2015
Being an intern, I dont get to delve to deeply into the life of a researcher, but all the researchers within the/ each lab are friendly and get along well with each other. I get to work with top of the line technology to extract DNA and analyze it. Its great when the whole lab takes a break and just chats with each other for a few moments when things get overly repetitive. It is a great work environment.
Pros
work environment, flexible schedule
Cons
no pay for intern, little chance for advancement
Typical academia
Staff Scientist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 15, 2013
Typical academic environment. Not so high salary. Need to write grant all the time.
Good place to work, little advancement
Statistical Research Associate I (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 23, 2015
The place in general is nice, but whether you will like it there or not depends on who you work with. It varies a lot based on your boss and your team. There is very little advancement/growth in this company, I'd say expect 3 years or more for it..
Pros
flexible
Cons
little advancement, poor pay
Fun place to work
Research Technician I (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 24, 2015
In hutch we get a chance to learn interdisciplinary cancer research. Every week meetings are held wherein we gave constructive feedback to each other and lost of brain storming. Every friday there is a postdoc symposium held in Hutch turn by turn by every lab, which gives a boast and ideas what others are doing. Overall all HUTCH LAND is a FUN LAND & SCIENCE LAND.
Pros
talks, seminar, symposiums, parties, group discussion, inter lab meetings
Cons
can't think of any !
Good
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 11, 2015
Not a typical day. I do different things each day, so it is never routine.
Co-workers are great.
I enjoy the independent work environment.
The hardest part of the job.
SOP Administrator, Expedited Analyst (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 15, 2012
The hardest part of the job would be to know it is time to stop. I enjoy working and I push through obstacles often. It is my desire to challenge myself as the mere opportunity helps me improve my skill set and knowledge of the industry, I seek to take on more and by completing my tasks assigned, I improve. I have an excellent demeanor and nature for any work environment and with my experience in a logistics, and clinical research environment, you would be hard pressed to find one to equal my drive, passion and vigor. Don't take my word for it. Please, see for yourself.
Pros
loyalty, integrity, hospitable nature, intelligent and considerate
Cons
you must drive me away from the desk to take a lunch or a break, i will forget my birthday, i will try to say good morning to all.
Relaxed atmosphere but somewhat disorganized at points.
Research Project Interviewer, Lead (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 19, 2014
Good place to work overall. Positive, supportive culture. Pay a little low. Somewhat disorganized.
Pros
supportive environment. relaxed and casual.
Cons
somewhat disorganized. management at inefficient at times.
Great people and ideals.
Veterinary Technician Lead (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 1, 2013
Working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center allowed me to expand personally and professionally. I gained experience in team building and supervision. By working with staff and management at FHCRC I was able to effectively make beneficial and important changes in the facility where I worked. I am thankful for the experience and friendships gained while working with this establishment.
A good place to work, very good benefits
Senior Buyer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 30, 2012
The day begins going through emails looking for problems and reviewing new incoming requisitions. Next would be running reports to work through delivery and pricing issues. Our entire system is running on PeopleSoft so everything is electronic. On the requisitions for capital equipment or maintenance contracts depending on the vendor and the amount of money I will review the terms and conditions. If I find anything that I’m not conformable with I will negotiate with the vendor. From time to time I will get from a request HR to move a new recruit’s household and lab to the Seattle area. I’ll also get involved with projects like the identifying the equipment needed for a new clinic the center is building in Uganda.
In the years I’ve worked at this company I learned to work with a variety of people on a myriad of problems and issues. I become very comfortable using database tools and spreadsheets along with common sense to address these problems and issues.
The hardest part is to try and not get too overwhelmed with the work load. The most enjoyable part was working with the people.
Pros
a great place to work in a beautiful city
Cons
very bad traffic congestion
Great place!
technical support (Former Employee) –  Public Health SciencesOctober 21, 2013
While budget cuts have me in the former employee section, I enjoyed the work environment. Every one I worked with had the same great work ethic, because we all know to work at this non-profit is a mission.
Pros
quality support staff, honest management
Cons
budget cuts

4.3