Fred Meyer Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,139 reviews matching the search
One of the Best Jobs I've Had
CCK (Former Employee) –  Bonney Lake, WAFebruary 2, 2016
Overall, I was impressed with Fred Meyer and the Kroger corporation in my time I worked there. The pay was above average (I was a cashier, making two dollars over minimum wage at start, and I received a dollar raise after about a year and a half of PT work).
Management did good work, even though they were pretty busy most of the time.
I felt as though a few corporate policies were silly, but none of them had any notable impact on the day to day life.
They worked really well with everyone's scheduling needs as well.

I was pleased to work with them, they treated me well and were accommodating.
Pros
Good people, good pay, medical benefits.
Cons
Full time only available to management, and a few special cases.
It is a fun job, but can get very stressful
Courtesy Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDApril 5, 2016
It is all routine. I would clean restrooms, gather carts, clean back of registers, and perform tasks given by a manager.

Co-workers would work at their own pace and worked separately (ex: you push carts, the other gathers returns behind registers).
I learned how to operate a register, I learned to clean certain chemicals (car oil, anti-freeze, cooking oil, etc.) I learned great people skills and to open myself to talking to complete strangers.

The hardest part is multi-tasking, finishing tasks on time, and often times working alone.

The most enjoyable part of the job was free food (on occasion), fun co-workers/customers, and being outside on a sunny day pushing carts. It was always exciting to work with some co-workers that were full of energy and life.

Being on a register feels confining, but it can be easy or difficult.
Being able to multi-task between typing and ringing people up.
Communication is important (whether courtesy clerk or cashier) when engaging with a customer.

The management was good, they listened and worked with their employees at the best of their abilities.
Pros
Free food (occasionally), fun environment, regular routines, many opportunities, great health benefits and retirement
Cons
raises were extremely small, advancement can be difficult
A corporate grocery store
Barista (Peets coffee and tea trained) (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 3, 2016
I have worked at this current location, in the same department, for over six years. I have been very complacent in this position up until recently. Hours are being cut steadily and I can no longer afford to work at a place that doesn't consider the cost of living in its business practices.
Besides those recent struggles, I have been very happy with this employer and have gained a plethora of experience for future jobs. I have formed strong bonds with co-workers and gained a huge amount of interpersonal skills.
I have learned what it looks like to lead and be lead by people in a chain of command. In a corporate environment there is always someone to answer to. If done correctly, things run smoothly and all problems are dealt with in a timely manner.
Because I am inside of a grocery store, I have not only gained barista skills, but also food service skills as well. I have had a multi-faceted experience.
Pros
Benefits, union protection, PTO.
Cons
No raises once journeyman, no advancement opportunities
Productive workplace & Friendly Environment
Cashier/ Customer Service/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMarch 5, 2016
A typical day at Fred Meyer consisted of bagging groceries, handling payment methods, being friendly and welcoming to customers. I learned a lot about working with different types of people, and using others input to my advantage. Management in Fred Meyer was a bit concerning, and could probably use a few improvements. My coworkers were extremely helpful and welcoming. Overall I enjoyed wokring for the company and getting to know such wonderful people.
Pros
Discounts, health benefits, friendliness
Cons
short breaks
Recommends as a life long Career
Apparel Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Nampa, ID 83651March 7, 2016
Work life balance is great outside of the managment pool.
When in management this balance becomes somewhat skued as it is a very consuming job that needs a lot of effort, time, strong time management and a willingness to put your whole person into the job and give 110% always.
Pros
Very customer driven, coworkers and company become your family. Great, very low cost health insurance.
Cons
I took little to no breaks, lunches were sometimes spent catching up on paperwork, emails, office organizing and other non sales floor/stockroom work.
good people
Assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WADecember 2, 2015
graveyards is not the best hours anyway but the work is endless and the management is always understaffed at night. communication is poor at night and it always seems like nothing gets done during the day. of course a lot gets done during the day but since the management acts like it doesn't the work load is the same. there is some very good skills to be learned at this job and a lot of good people to be around but I think the hardest part was building teamwork.
Pros
good pay, very good benefits, and good people.
Cons
long hours, little appretiation, and no teamwork.
Good company, Reasonable compensation, undesirable benefits, difficult management, short staff,
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 10, 2015
Kroger as a good company to work for. They offer reasonable pay with regular raises until you reach your ceiling. The company doesn't have a strong desire to improve the pharmacy department. The pharmacy is often over looked by store management. The pharmacy staff is over worked. Because of the high work load training for new employees is very limited making turn over of technicians high. Pharmacy staff rarely get breaks. Long hours a lot of evenings and weekends with no set schedule unless your favored by the pharmacy manager.
Pros
regular raises, good discount
Cons
no breaks, short staff, non stop work load
Good benefits but poor management
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sandy, ORFebruary 17, 2016
Although I did have good benefits no matter what department I was in I always had poor management. Management was always getting fired or transferred.
Pros
Benefits, hours
Cons
management, security
It's Retail
Sales Assocaite (Former Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORMarch 22, 2016
Overall, Fred Meyer is a decent place to work, although it definitely demonstrates the difficulties of working in retail. It can be extremely frustrating and there seems to be a lot of miscommunication between management and employees, making it difficult to successfully do your job.
Pros
Ability to request days off in advance, vacation, benefits
Cons
Pay cap, unless union
Fun and realiable work place
Coffee Barista (Former Employee) –  Palmer, AKFebruary 12, 2016
things on a day to day basis are smooth and fun. most management is understanding and flexible with your work schedule. you have comparable benefits and a good discount threw out the store on most items you would buy. co-workers are fun and help each other out to get things done in a timely manner.
Pros
healthcare, discounts, payed breaks.
Cons
unpayed lunch mosttly part time 20+ hours to work a week
Soul sucking hole in the wall
Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORMarch 27, 2016
The sales/customer service part of the job was great! I always had an awesome time interacting with customers and helping them walk away with that one thing they couldn't live without (Diamonds!)
-If you are scheduled to work, whether it be open, mid, or closing... Your whole day is gonna be ruined if you want a social life..
-Management is GARBAGE from the store level, to the regional manager. The store manager bad mouths the regional manager because he never does his job...
-Poisonous atmosphere to work in... Small size store with 4 women constantly working around each other, stealing commissions and literally 'badmouthing' the person that has that day off... Gossip and slander.
-FMJ #70 Couldn't manage it's way out of a paper sack...
Pros
Store discounts
Cons
Dumb hours. Worse Associates
Fred Meyer corp headquarters was a perfect fit for my skills, especially HR Dept . . . where I was privileged to administer programs to help others.
Executive Assistant to three Fred Meyer CEO's (Former Employee) –  Main Office in Portland, OregonOctober 5, 2015
Fred Meyer's Main Office afforded the opportunity for a well rounded career as an Executive Assistant with promotions to assist several CEO's and Chairman of the Board. Human Resources was the greatest and best challenge, enabling me to administer monetary programs to help employees in need of financial assistance.
Pros
Continuous educational programs and excellent benefits
Cons
Nothing negative to report
It's retail, exactly as you'd expect
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  AlaskaNovember 11, 2015
I worked for Fred Meyer for quite a number of years over 3 states. They always paid the bills and the experience is very dependent on who your section lead is and who they hire as PIC's. The management I experience hit on all points on this scale. One or two cared about the employees personally and did what they could to help make the work life as enjoyable as possible and others would literally phone it in sometimes. It's retail, not much to expect but I stayed for almost 7 years so it couldn't have been as bad as I remember it being.
Pros
coworkers, "flexible" schedule, pay-after you've been there awhile.
Cons
no back up, corporate management, no upward movement
More about the numbers than the workers.
Customer Service Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bothell, WAOctober 31, 2015
Started out great, lately has been more about the profit than the people. Management is not supportive, and uncaring of work/life balance. Best part is working with fellow associates. Have a "we're in this together" mentality. Repetitive and fast paced, people that are rewarded and moved up who have no qualifications to do so. No incentive to move up in the company.
Benefits
Cons
Short breaks, management.
3 years
HOME CLERK (Current Employee) –  Yakima, WADecember 12, 2015
It is a good job to have while you are in school. However, retail does wear on you. Especially when you are treated like a manager, when you're responsiblites do not entail that level of work, nor do you get paid a managers salary. Understaffed and stressful. On the register you have to fend for yourself most of the time. Some cashiers can't even get a bathroom break if it is busy, because we are too understaffed. They cut hours, yet complain to us that we aren't getting enough done.
Pros
Co-workers are good.
Cons
Management is not always the best
A good place to work
Cosmetics Department Lead (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 23, 2015
Different stores have different sub cultures. I appreciate Kroger and Fred Meyer corporation's business ethics. The actual corporate management seems a little out of touch sometimes, but I believe they try.

The management at store level can be very good or not so good. The managers tend to move around a lot from store to store. My particular store has a reputation for being the one you are sent to if you are "on the way up or on the way out" so it is a little hard to tell you about all the stores.

What I can say is that I needed a job and they gave me one. I have done my job well and according to my year review today I exceed expectations in 9 out of 12 categories and meet expectations in the rest. The unfortunate thing is that I'm at the very top of my pay grade which is not a lot. The work is easy and if you have a positive attitude it will be a pleasant place. If you don't you will make everyone miserable, but they probably won't fire you unless you do something really stupid like steal.
Pros
They really try to make it a fun place to work.
Cons
It is retail with all the joy that brings.
Great job for someone who loves to engage with the public.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesOctober 27, 2015
I have worked for Fred Meyer Jewelers for quite a while. There have been many updates through the years. I have been most excited recently with the focus on training. Taking care of the customer and creating a memorable experience is the top priority. We are not just selling jewelry, we are creating relationships. A typical day includes, but is not limited to, customer service, inventory management, shipping and receiving, scheduling, cleaning and inspecting jewelry, and the most fun part, selling jewelry. While there is a lot to learn to work in this field, the amount of training material is more than sufficient to get a good grip while you learn on the job. I think the hardest part of the job is not having a set schedule. For most in retail, that is what is desired.
Pros
Great benefits package, good pay for retail, flexible scheduling
Cons
Nights and weekends are a must
Fred Meyer
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Coos Bay, ORFebruary 26, 2016
My favorite part of this job is working with, and meeting new customers! It is very enjoyable assisting others. I love putting a smile on a customer's face.I also, enjoy having a union.
Pros
Flexable work hours, friendly people
Cons
Short breaks, no raises in 8 months, scedule all over the place
Poor Leadership
Graveyard Freight Crew Manager (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAFebruary 12, 2016
Good ole' boys program alive and well. Advancements do not go to those who deserve it. Education is not a contributing factor in their decision making for promotions and they definitely do not utilize the dedication and disciplined work ethic of the veterans on their staff.
In fact it was frowned upon. Not a fun place to work. Morale is very low due to the poor leadership displayed in the work place and poor communication between the leadership team and the workers.
Had to leave, no career opportunities at this place for career veterans.
Pros
Cons
Poor Leadership, Poor Communication, Hard Work and Teamwork work ethic are not rewarded very well.
Typical wearhouse work
Floor worker (Former Employee) –  Chehalis, WAJanuary 13, 2016
Its been a long time since i have worked there but most of the time a fast paced work environment. I learned alot also trained on a variety of forklifts. management back then was great and so were my co workers. Hardest part was all the overtime in the busy season but they alaways took care of us especially during the holidays and rewarded us for safety.
Pros
Job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fred Meyer. Our community is ready to answer.