Frederick County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Each School is different
School Nutritional Services (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAJanuary 12, 2018
Pay does not reflect the physical labor and fast-paced environment for nutritional services. There is not enough labor hours assigned to some kitchens.
Pleasantly pleased person
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDJanuary 11, 2018
I've been a sub with the county for 3 months and I absolutely love FCPS! Being a sub with the county offers me job security and job flexibility. I am able to arrange my schedule and work what fits my own preference. As a sub, I work for various "managers" (principals) but the ones that I have encountered are very committed and understanding.
Pay More
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDJanuary 9, 2018
It would be great to get paid for for the work you do as well as working more hours. The people you work with are great people. Diversity is needed though to many of one race.
Pros
The children you serve
Cons
pay and hours to work
Negative and Stressful Work Environment.
English Language Arts Teacher (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDJanuary 7, 2018
Administration is unresponsive, unhelpful, and often absent. No guidance or feedback. Job is stressful - a lot of pressure and blame is placed on teachers. Little mentorship and feedback. Administration frequently changes strategies and expectations. Lack of communication. The job benefits do not adequately compensate for the negative, stressful, fend-for-yourself work environment.
Very rewarding place to work but low pay
Special Education Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  191 Waverly Dr. Frederick, MD 21704January 6, 2018
This is a great place to work if you love children and working with special needs. Staff is great but communication with staff is not very good. Not a bad place to work but the pay is not a livable wage.
Good People, Unrealistic Expectations
Elementary Teacher (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAJanuary 3, 2018
The instructional department needs to reduce unnecessary tests and responsibilities for teachers so that they can focus on delivering quality instruction. There are far too many tests required by the state and county. This considerably cuts into instructional time. Unfortunately, to refuse to give these tests is not an option because it is the principals who end up paying for such moral stands (due to the pressure put on them from supervisors). In my experience, however, the staff are wonderful and dedicated professionals at the school level. It's disappointing to express such disillusionment because the superintendent is also one of the most hard-working, dedicated, and kind individuals I have had the pleasure of meeting. This isn't something that I experienced at my previous school district years ago.
Substitute At Schools
Substitute - Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDDecember 30, 2017
As a Substitute Special Education Instructional Assistant, I accepted assignments to substitute at various schools in Frederick County. Most of the time, I worked with a student on an individual basis.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Not know expectations of teachers
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MD 21701December 29, 2017
There are days that you get very little direction on what is needed to be done. You need to be innovated and not stress about the little things. Be willing to improvise and go with the flow. It is fun to meet new students every day and go to different schools. You can pick and choose what schools you want to work at and what levels you want to teach.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
no benefits
Very diverse place to work with other job opportunity available.
School Secretary (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MD 21701December 28, 2017
Typical day was usually fast paced interacting face to face with students, staff & public. Also, had to interact on phones. Everything was enhanced when accompanied by excellent customer service.
Enjoy my job
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VADecember 15, 2017
I enjoy my job. Love working with kids. The pay could be better. Can't support a family with it. Does have great benefits. Work when kids are in school. Off when they are off. Paid year round and summers off.
Pros
Work when kids are in school and out when they are
Cons
Pay
Great people. Terrible pay!
User Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDNovember 27, 2017
I work at an elementary school. The administration, faculty, staff, and students are great to work with at my school. The pay is awful. Impossible to pay for a mortgage.

10 month employe (188 days per year)
Hours 8:35-4:05 M-F
35 hour weeks
Pros
Health insurance, lots of time off
Cons
Pay!
Productive workplace
Special Education Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDNovember 20, 2017
Typical day is a lot of interacting with students , teachers and parents.

Flexibility is very important.

Co-workers are very supportive and and helpful.

The hardest part of the job is not enough hours in the day to do everything you want.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that moment of understanding that happens with a student.
Pros
Wonderful co-workers
Cons
Salary
cut throat, gossip, bigotry
school support (Former Employee) –  crapvilleOctober 15, 2017
this school system and its employees are horrible. I've never seen a bunch of bigots in one area in my life. pay is horrible and people are bigots and rude
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
rather not review
Front Office Secretary (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDOctober 13, 2017
The hardest part of the job was keeping it......bad ending experience...rather not input. I do NOT want to include any of this. My experience may not be typical of this company.
Pros
great benefits if full time
If you need flexibility it can work for you.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDOctober 10, 2017
This schedule works out for me and my family. With this job I am able to work when I want. I am a friendly person so I get along well with everyone. when schools closed I do not get paid.
Great Place to Work
Special Education Case Manager & Teacher (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDOctober 6, 2017
I loved my time at FCPS, wish I could go back! Workplace culture is competitive. Most enjoyed the students and staff that I worked with while at the schools.
Pros
Training, Friends, Families, Coworkers
Cons
Short staffed at times
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Frederick County, MDAugust 29, 2017
I enjoy every part of my job with FCPS. Great benefits and good supervisors. The most enjoyable part of my job is the students. i have been with fcps for 19 years and it was the perfect job for me when my 3 boys were in school. i was off at holidays and the summer and still had full benefits for a family of 5.
Benefits
Cons
Not Full Time
It's alright
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 23, 2017
I worked for FCPS for 3 years. as a substitute teacher. I worked within different schools, so I can't give a very specific account my experience. I believe the board should have paid the staff more.
Pros
VERY flexible schedule; basically your own boss
Cons
bad pay
Fast Paced
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 8, 2017
Everyday is very busy, team effort needed to accomplish goals, customer service is a must! Most enjoyable part of my job is serving our kiddos! They are what makes the job awesome!
Overall Good Experience
Secretary I - Transportation Department (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAAugust 5, 2017
Good Experience and Friendly People. Jovial Working Environment.
Answering phones, communicating on the two-way radio with bus drivers, contacting schools with information on returning students. Filing of student disciplinary forms, updating student medical problem forms, filing daily bus check, taking minutes of meetings and various other secretarial duties as required.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Healthcare cost