Frederick County Public Schools

Frederick County Public Schools Employer Reviews

I worked here twice...I love it!
Part-Time Records Processor (Current Employee), Winchester, VAJuly 10, 2014
What can I say that I didn't say already? When I worked here as a student, I loved it which is why I came back as an adult. :-)
This was my favorite job
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee), Frederick, MDJuly 7, 2014
I loved this job. I would still be employed at this job if I hadnt gone back to school to get m gna/cna. I loved working for the school it a great learning experience.
Enriching work that enables one to positively effect childrens lives
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Frederick, MDJuly 3, 2014
Pros: outstanding health benefits
Cons: one becomes attached to their students and while one is happy to see them progress in life, one misses them as they move to the next level.
A typical day at work consists of waking early in the morning to drive to the school bus. After conscientiously searching over the bus and completing the pre-trip inspection, the drive to the first pick-up in the morning commences. I greet the first riders as they enter the bus with a quiet smiling "good morning" as they tend to be half asleep. As the – more... morning progresses the good morning becomes louder and more exuberant to each boarding student, often greeting their parents or neighbors along the way. I often look for emotional or attitudinal changes in the students and monitor them to make adjustments to avoid trouble between students on the bus. Middle school age is generally where any problems will occur if they should arise, developmentally it is quite understandable. I get to know my students names and gather information about them to assist me in how I approach them and to keep the bus environment peaceful and welcoming. After the drive to pick up is completed, I pull the bus up to the school and dismiss the students with a well wishing, usually "have a nice/ good day" or "I will see you this afternoon". Each individual school trip is handled in this manner. The afternoon is often the similar. Between trips I check for any left behind items to return to the students, check for any damage to the bus and do a quick clean. When an occasional issue arises, there is standard procedure to follow. I build a report with the students that ride to a degree that if there is any problem, a quick chat usually takes care of any problems. I also like to challenge them with weekly trivia. – less
Fast paced and exhilarating work environment with room to grow
Network Systems Specialist II (Former Employee), Frederick, MDJune 14, 2014
Challenging and fast paced environment. There is always work to be done and the environment, though hectic at times, is always friendly and open. This position provided me much room to grow and I very much enjoyed my time there.
Frederick County Public
Behavioral Support (Former Employee), Frederick, MDJune 3, 2014
Awesome place to work. I had learned a lot about the different walks of life and how important having a role model is to your students.
Challenging, Fast-paced, Very educational
Intern (Former Employee), Frederick, MDMay 30, 2014
I was very lucky to receive an internship opportunity with FCPS. Before interning there for several years I was all but computer illiterate. The knowledge I gained there in such a short period of time was incredible. I will miss everyone there and take the knowledge learned with FCPS with me throughout the rest of my life.
Productive and fun environment to work with parents and teachers.
Freelance Interpreter (Current Employee), Frederick, MDMay 14, 2014
Productive and fun environment to work with parents and teachers.
Enjoyable environment
Computer Technician (Former Employee), Winchester, VAApril 25, 2014
Pros: ticket system was fun
Cons: only worked there a year.
Answering tickets and assisting teachers and faculty with any computer related issues.
My experience as a long-term substitute was challenging, but it had its rewards.
Long-term Substitute Biology & Chemistry Teacher (Former Employee), Frederick, MDJanuary 17, 2014
Coming in as a long-term substitute was difficult, but the staff made the transition much easier and were helpful the entire time I was there. I was most impressed with how much outside support I received from the special education department. The most difficult aspect of the job was trying to learn the building and how the district worked while maintaining – more... teaching responsibilities. However, this provided me with healthy challenges and a new perspective on education. – less
Daily Productivity
Human Resources-Administrative Secretary (Current Employee), Frederick MarylandJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: meeting new people with potential hiring
Cons: no breaks
giving good customer service, fast paced enviroment, and meeting potential workers
Rewarding profession
Art Teacher (Current Employee), Frederick, MDOctober 2, 2013
Pros: two months off in the summer, good benefits
Cons: phsically demanding - on my feet all day.
The best part of my job is nurturing relationships with my students. Every day I learn something new and continually strive to find better ways to engage my students in learning not only about art, but about themselves, other cultures and character education.
Excellent opportunity and great work environment.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Frederick CountyAugust 13, 2013
Pros: people interaction.
I would arrive at work prior to students. It was a great opportunity to work with and collaborate with professionals in education. I managed over 20+ students throughout the day. The hardest part of the job is differentiating between all students' needs. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to interact with both students and teachers. You – more... never really leave work with out a story. My co-workers were supportive and open to collaboration from me. I learned and refined my multitasking abilities while working for FCPS. – less
substitute teaching
Substitute teacher/ SEIA (Former Employee), Frederick co. MdJuly 28, 2013
I liked being able to work in different schools in different situations getting a good overview of the school system. I taught classes for absent teachers, and filled in for special education instructional assistants throughout Frederick county public schools.

I was able to work every day during the school year, and it was nice to go to different places, – more... but it made me miss the stability of one full time position. – less
Excellent compensation benefits
Benefit Specialist I (Current Employee), Frederick, MDJune 11, 2013
Great location, hard working employees. Four day work week during the summer months when school is out is a real plus and allows more time for vacations/family time.
Productive learning environment
Special Education (Former Employee), Frederick, MDMay 14, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short breaks
Working with Autistic, Downs Syndrome, Mentally Challenged, and Cerebral Palsy students is a challenge but I had to have patience.
Being able to play the different sports with them was a lot of fun.
School System is a Parent's Dream
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Winchester, VAApril 9, 2013
Pros: focus on education
Cons: pay is not the greatest
Working for Frederick County Public Schools is a wonderful experience. Very family oriented, obviously.
Public school teacher
Teacher (Former Employee), Frederick, MDFebruary 7, 2013
Pros: working with childeren
Cons: working for a government institution.
Same issues faced all over the country, increased class size, increased managerial work, decreased budgets and support.
Fun family oriented work environment
Substitute Teacher / Office Aide (Former Employee), Winchester, VADecember 31, 2012
Pros: accommodating schedule, worked with my family schedule
Cons: no benefits, pay'd only when work was available
Love working with Children. Very accommodating schedule. Pay was fairly good. Loved the atmosphere. Learned new things every day. Many opportunities.
Great Job, with enjoyable environment.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Frederick County, VANovember 12, 2012
Subbed at many school in Frederick County, VA. Most enjoyable part of job is helping the students learn, and making a difference in their lives.
oversee students when teacher is unavailable
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Frederick, MDAugust 23, 2012
Pros: make your own schedule
Cons: poor lesson plans to work with
classroom management
follow teacher lesson plans
emergency plans stink
working with younger children always worry they will miss bus home

About Frederick County Public Schools

Frederick County Public Schools provide a first-class education for 40,000 students in a rapidly growing county that is geographically – Read more

Frederick County Public Schools Photos