Free People Employee Reviews in United States

excellent
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 21, 2016
this was a great place to work when i was in school. they work with your school schedule and the co workers are great. the team was so nice and great to not just work with but hang out.
Productive and fast-paced work environment.
Selling Manager In Training (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2016
Free People's flagship location is a positive, fast-paced work environment with high customer traffic. Since 70% of the customers are tourists, it allows for opportunity to establish a variety of customer connections.
Productive and creative team
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIFebruary 1, 2016
The best thing about working at Free People was the opportunity to work with such a great team! Surrounded by gorgeous clothes and working with the best team of employees really made work a pleasure.
Good if you're looking for an EXTREMELY part-time job
Stylist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 6, 2016
If you have not been working at Free People for over 6 months they will not give you an amazing amount of hours. If you're a part-timer expect 1 or 2 days a week, and starting pay is $8.
Pros
Cool work environment
Cons
Low hours & low pay to start out
Creative Work Place
Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 13, 2015
Employees are offered creative liberty within the scope of what is appropriate. However, the flexibility does regularly create issues with procedures.
amazing place
Personal Stylist/Brand Representative (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJOctober 29, 2015
Awesome culture, awesome people, awesome management, awesome clothes, and awesome flexibility. Everyday was fun, it was work, but I felt like I was hanging out with my best friends.
Creative and Free
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 5, 2015
The amount of creative control and output are limitless when working for Free People. The ability to use social media and creative displays is what makes this company unique and rewarding. As a previous store manager, the most memorable part of this job is rolling out displays and exerting all forms of creativity through visual merchandising and rolling out quarterly displays.
Pros
Displays, creative control
Cons
High energy, creative, and fun place to work
Personal Stylist/Brand Representative (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJSeptember 1, 2015
First you have to open the store and vacuum and clean to be ready for clients. When the store opens you greet everybody with enthusiasm and help any clients needs. There may be other things that your managers will need you to do, like unpack shipment, restock the floor, answer phone calls, and order merchandise online. The environment is friendly and fun. I never had a bad day working at Free People.
Pros
Great employees, great managers, flexibility with scheduling
Cons
On your feet all day, short breaks, if your a stylist you only receive about 10 hours of work per week
A Fantastic Learning Experience
Free People Wholesale Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 13, 2015
When I first applied to intern at the Mary Joya showroom for Free Pepole, I didn’t know how a showroom operated or the type of work involved. Since then, I have truly grown as I learn to navigate through new tasks and situations. However, I realize that I still have a lot to learn.

I have made incredible strides since starting this internship. I’ve learned that attention to detail is key to succeeding in this environment. For example, when writing up buyer’s purchase orders at trade shows, it is important to correctly write each style number, color code, and quantity amount. This ensures that the order is processed correctly and the buyer receives exactly what they want. A keen eye is also important when checking inventory or customer inquiries on the Blue Cherry system to ensure each customer receives the correct merchandise.

Interning in a wholesale setting has also helped me learn to be organized and efficiently manage the tasks at hand. Style numbers, as well as sold out merchandise, color codes, and line sheets are constantly changing and it is imperative to stay up-to-date and properly manage sourcing, merchandise, and client’s expectations
I am very pleased that I was offered a full-time position by Mary Joya to continue to work in her showroom, however I would like to gain more experience in a more creative field and believe that's where my true talent and confidence lies.
Pros
trade shows, hands-on, co-workers
Cons
not as creative as I would anticipate or like it to be
Inspiring group of individuals with a drive for creativity
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 26, 2015
Helping clients find clothing for specific events, building long-lasting relationships with customers in and out of store, processing online orders, assisting in window and wall display design, processing shipment, maintenance and order of store, cashier, tailor/prep/steam clothing items.
Fashionable, fun part time job
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 19, 2015
I was working while taking classes and was able to manage my time very well. I loved my coworkers and the management there. The hardest part of the job was closing up shop but because the store was a good size we were able to do it in an efficient and timely manner. I learned good sales skills.
Pros
discount
Cons
restocking
Manager In Training
Manager In Training (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 4, 2015
It was a hard job but I learned so much about what it meant to be in charge of a store. Just how hard it was and what it took to keep it running. This is an amazing company and I would work for them again in a heartbeat.
From opening store to increasing sales
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAJuly 2, 2015
Opened 3 store locations, hired full staff, maintained and coached staff, managed profit and loss, inventory, and sales.
Y.E.S Specialist Sales (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 6, 2015
Always very busy, love taking care of clients, and doing my job as I was instructed to do. Management was just okay. I'm very social.
Wonderful environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 17, 2015
Great atmosphere for college students looking to get their feet wet in the fashion industry.
Offered insight into the inner working of a private boutique with the advantage of a corporate mindset.
love the clothing but no way up
Manager In Training (Former Employee) –  chicago, ILFebruary 20, 2015
CLothing is great, few will move up in this company due to wages and also dwindling payroll. Pay more attention to the talent you already have the outsourcing associates that haven't worked a day in their life!
Working in a perfectly branded, well oiled machine at Free People
General Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 22, 2015
I have worked in retail management at various different companies and this division of Urban Outfitters, Inc stands out amongst the rest in its creative environment, love of culture, putting clients first and excellent procedures. I would recommend anyone interested in high end retail to work there. They treat their employees as the invaluable assets that they should be, treat their clients as top priority and give considerable compensation for hard work. It is a moderately heavy workload (each store runs as its own small business with employees doing everything from complicated display setups to training to its own marketing) but this fosters learning and responsibility wonderfully.
Pros
culturally stimulating, great feeling of ownership
Cons
heavy workload, sometimes slow growth opportunities
Very Hard Place to work if you are a person of COLOR!
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 2, 2014
Do NOT work here if you have any hint of unique-ness! They are a prejudiced company! They only look for people that "fit" their narrow-minded views and expect you to buy their expensive cloths with a horrible discount! Never ever work here, unless you are a trust fund baby!
Pros
great hours
Cons
terrible upper management
Not enough hours but good benefits!
Stylist (Current Employee) –  NJJune 4, 2014
I hardly have hours at this job and am on call a lot!

I love the clothes and the discount.
Average Retail Company
Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 3, 2014
Great company if you want to pursue a career in Merchandising.
Pros
good discount
Cons
you will work weekends and evenings.