Free People Employee Reviews

free people skokie Il
PT sales (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILDecember 28, 2017
I started working before the store opened. We opened the store which opened about 2-3 weeks 0f just doing merchandising free pe0pl e inventory sells itself but sales girls on the floor were very loud and pushy on the floor. Management did nothing to correct the issues
Pros
discount clothing
Cons
unorganized managent
Run the other way
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 18, 2017
URBN does not pay commensurate to expectations. I came in almost every day off I had in 2 years to take care of plumbing issues, IT issues, process shipments because we didn't have payroll for a non salaried employee to do it, clean and organize, visual standards... The list goes on. On top of it, I had a management team that was incredibly inept to deal with pressure, and a visual Senior making managers and sales staff cry on a daily basis- couldn't promote for VMIT's because no one wanted to work with her. They promote bad behavior and terrible work ethic.
Pros
discount
Cons
unethical managers
management needs help
MANAGER IN TRAINING (Former Employee) –  Woodcliff Lake, NJDecember 8, 2017
Free People should pay the employees more because management doesn't really do much than sit in the office and gossip. Great company to work for if employees are screened better!
Great Place to Work
Senior Stylist (Current Employee) –  Troy, MINovember 28, 2017
I learned many valuable management and team building skills at this job. Free People allowed me to develop my intra and interpersonal skills and allowed me to interact with clientele on a daily basis.
Pros
Friendly staff, great company culture
Cons
Low pay
Great job for college students
Stylist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 12, 2017
I definitely recommend working at Free People as a first job or part time job while you are in college. The management is pretty great and from my experience the managers are very understanding if you need time off. You learn a lot about working with others and building relationships with the clients that come into the store. The hardest part of the job is definitely adjusting to large groups that come into the store and multi-tasking with make sure the aesthetic of the store is up to standards, working with clients, and making sure you're working in a safe environment. The most enjoyable part is definitely building relationships with your coworkers, there are so many different people in the FP and URBN community, make sure you take time to get to know them!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Pay
Creative Retailer
Visual Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 24, 2017
A good company to wear many different hats and perform many tasks. You will learn about selling culture, merchandising, operations and building brand awareness.
Creatively Stimulating, but Overworked/Underpaid
Associate Buyer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 19, 2017
I love the culture- the campus and corporate employees are creatively stimulating and inspiring and the freedom to express yourself and be part of new ideas is priceless.

While it is great to work for such an aspirational fashion company with an international presence, I feel the company takes advantage of this point-often paying the absolute minimum salaries while squeezing as many hours out of their corporate employees as possible- knowing they will want to work for this brand name since thousands of others would line up to take their place. I will say this definitely varies by department.
Pros
benefits, discount, work environment
Cons
long hours, stress level, low pay
I wish i can do my private activities like games and some plays
Agriculture Technician (Current Employee) –  Palestine. TullkarmOctober 13, 2017
I wish i can have what i want ...i need experience and mor knowledge. .i need more good salary ..i can do my job as the best ..i gan work hard and i am more creative if i being in the right place
fun workplace with great people
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Garden City, NYSeptember 5, 2017
free people is a fun place to work because I love everybody they have become very close to me. We get to dress creatively and be ourselves which I love. It doesn't feel like a job
Pros
coworkers
Cons
pay
Great company great discount
Manager in Training (MIT) (Current Employee) –  New JerseyAugust 22, 2017
Look forward to go into work every day, great customers and employees, great discount on clothing and sister stores, great company culture, retail environment
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Difficult to move up
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 20, 2017
I have been with this company for 5 years and it is a great company to gain valuable skills in business, sales, customer service, and management. I was promoted several times over he past 3 years to higher management positions and have personally ran 3 different stores. There was always a new opportunity and room for advancement. The pay in the lower management positions leaves a lot to be desired but once in a salaried Store Manager position the pay was fair to my experience. I make my own schedule as a store manager and focus on developing my team to ensure that the business runs smoothly. Downside really is the dreaded retail schedule, weekends and holidays are required. It can be difficult to have a good routine with a constantly varying schedule.
Pros
Opportunity for promotions, business and management experience, flexible scheduling, fair pay at higher management level
Cons
Retail hours, working holidays, limitations of taking vacations
Fun place to explore and grow!
GRAPHIC DESIGN ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 2, 2017
Fun place to explore and grow - not a lot of room for advancement/promotional opportunities but still a creative, collaborative environment. A little 'too corporate' with some strict guidelines.
Stylist
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 28, 2017
I worked at the store in Southpoint Mall for about a month before I got a real job in another state. I initially told them I couldn't work until after a certain date because I assumed I'd be scheduled a couple times a week, but once I was hired I literally had 5 shifts in the whole month of May. I was able to pick up a shift but had to give one away (pretty easy to do) so I didn't actually gain any shifts overall. 40% discount on apparel, shoes and home goods were 25% I think.
Interview was with 2 other girls and we took turns answering questions first. The girl who interviewed us was very strange though, she never officially told us the interview was over and didn't officially introduce herself either.
The managers working on my last day were however very nice and wished me luck in my next job.
fun workplace to see and play with new merchandise that comes in.
STYLIST (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAJune 12, 2017
fun work environment and the company isnt really strict however, the pay is awful and the company is really cheap when it comes to giving hours ans getting a raise.
Pros
the discount and being able to try on clothes when it comes in.
Cons
Horrible pay
Free to not be Free
STYLIST (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 5, 2017
I loved working with Free People but I didn't have a chance to move up at all within the company. I also felt very undervalued while working there since my hours would be cut randomly and taking time off was incredibly hard.
Positive Experience
MIT (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJune 3, 2017
While the pay is not ideal, Free People is a place where you can really express creativity and find your own path for the career and experience that you want there. It can be challenging at times with customers, but overall my experience there was really great.
Cons
Pay
Great sense of community
Stylist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 30, 2017
I have worked at the same Free People location for the past two years, and have enjoyed a great sense of family as a member of the team. Apart from the excellent customer service we (stylists and managers) offer, the relationships between coworkers feel more like friendships. It has been a great part-time job as I worked through being a full-time student, and I would recommend it to anyone who loves to work with great people!
Pros
Enjoyable work environment, flexible scheduling
Cons
Difficulty getting raises, limited coverage
Not my favorite job
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 26, 2017
The job was to help customers find clothing and lots of customer services. I loved the vibes of the job. I didn't have many hours to support myself and the pay was weak. So I left o find a better job.
Pros
Fashion
Cons
Not enough compensation
high expectations/ little reward
District Display Coordinator (Former Employee) –  United StatesMay 24, 2017
-not much of a work life balance
-everyone is disposable
-long days
-contrant travel
-extremely physical
-great co-workers
-creative freedom
-you'll make life long friends, bonding in hard times really brings people together
Pros
creative freedom /coworkers are great
Cons
pay/ overworked
You work here for the discount, let's be honest.
SENIOR STYLIST (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2017
This job is great for one reason : URBAN OUTFITTERS DISCOUNT! You will definitely meet some great people and friends here, but a majority of the employees working here are young college students with parents that pay their credit card bills to support their shopping addictions.

You will learn a major amount of customer service experience which I am thankful for. A great asset and opportunity to have when young.