Freelancers Union is not your typical non-profit, and we look for not-your-typical employees. We’re a national membership organization that promotes the interests of independent workers through advocacy, education, and services. We’re collaborative, friendly, open-minded, adaptable, creative, and action-oriented, and we’re looking for people who share those qualities. We work in a fast-paced and fun environment, and we’re constantly exploring interesting new ideas.
We are seeking a talented Staff Accountant to become part of our Accounting team. The Staff Accountant will be assigned to multiple legal entities, both non-profit and for-profit, as well as newly-formed, independent consumer owned and operated health insurance companies which Freelancers Union sponsors. The ideal candidate will be able to work in a collaborative, fast-paced environment, and will have a working knowledge of the insurance industry.
What you’d be doing:
- Consolidation accounting for four legal entities – including:
o intercompany activity; preparation of reconciliation,
o preparation of eliminating entries,
o maintenance of monthly close checklist to ensure assigned entries are posted timely, and
o preparation of timely, accurate monthly consolidated financial reports
- Under the direction of the Controller support the general ledger system (EAS / Sungard) including:
o consolidated chart of accounts,
o EAS report formats and reports
- Work with existing Finance staff to ensure Accounts Payable is posted accurately and on time.
o Prepare expense accrual entries and reconciliations
- Analyze balance sheet and income statement accounts
As related to an Insurance subsidiary:
o Prepare and post journal entries ,
o Preparation and maintenance of account reconciliations,
o Maintain organized records in accordance with accounting and regulatory requirements
- Assist with audit preparation tasks under the direction of Controller and Director of Finance
- Ad hoc reporting and projects as requested by the Controller and Director of Finance
Experience and skills you’d need to have:
- 3 – 7 years accounting experience
- Experience in a consolidated reporting environment
- Experience with Sungard general ledger and Crystal reports strongly preferred.
o Report building and maintenance preferred
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite experience (Excel, Word, Access)
- Demonstrated ability to think independently and take ownership of duties
- Exposure to Insurance Accounting (Statutory) is a plus.
More about us:
Independent workers comprise 30% of the U.S. workforce—and growing—but lack many of the basic supports and protections that traditional employees get. We aim to change that for our 150,000 members, and for the 42 million independent workers nationwide. Oh, and we’re also the people behind all those ads with the beehive that you see on the New York City subways.
Like we said, we’re not typical. We think of ourselves as “practical revolutionaries”—people who have extraordinary vision and want to make significant change, but can also put big, lofty ideas into tangible action. We believe strongly in solidarity, both for our staff and for the freelance community. For more information about us and what we do, please visit www.freelancersunion.org.
Our office is in DUMBO, the first stop into Brooklyn on the A, C, or F subway lines.
If you’re interested in joining our team of entrepreneurial pioneers, please email your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to: resume @freelancersunion.org. Sorry, but we won’t consider resumes that don’t include both a cover letter and salary requirements.
We look forward to hearing from you!