Freeport McMoRan Employee Reviews

Good Company with great pay and benefits
Master Mobile Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Green Valley, AZDecember 14, 2015
Best company I have ever worked for . I feel valued for my skill set and have been recognized for positive achievements . They offer relocation packages and bonuses etc. . The companies HR department has a strong role with the company where most unions would usually provide some job protection there is actually an employee board randomly appointed for arbitration on firings etc. . I have seen multiple people get fired and then return to work after the arbitration process . It's a steady job that pays well with good benefits . Enough said .
Pros
Bonuses, tool allowance, paid vacations
Cons
Job fluxuations due to world market commodity prices
One amazing company car
Haul Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 11, 2016
Having the independence and confidence to operate the type of machinery at this job was immensely satisfying. Working with a great crew in an ever-changing environment taught me a lot.
Pros
great benefits and working culture
Cons
shift work life balance can be tricky
Great company and even better co workers
ENVIRONMENTAL TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  ArizonaDecember 1, 2015
The company has a reputation for being difficult to in the door as a new employee. They are selective and you must meet the qualifications for them to even call you. No exceptions, no help from someone you know who works for them, completely on your own merit. Can take a couple months+ before your first day if your selected which can be a real downside if your out of work. Its worth the wait, great benefits and the people are awesome.
Pros
Lots of PTO in your first year, great insurance, other benefits
Cons
Fluctuating markets can cause some job instability
Decent first Job
Safety Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bagdad, AZMarch 9, 2016
Day to day the job changes which is good. Rising to meet those challenges but receiving no compensation for overtime to meet those needs is unfortunate.
Great place to get trained
Metallurgist II (Current Employee) –  Miami, AZOctober 6, 2015
Great place to get started. Yearly performance reviews are evaluated by the site management after your supervisor submits the evaluation. Then they normalized it based on their interaction with you, depending on where you work it can help or harm. Good ole' boy system or everyone is related. Does not enjoy change even when the positive ROI is shown. Not family friendly, to move up you need to rent, and be able to go to any site in the company as soon as they ask. If not you get a black mark and they will tell you that. The "towers" determines who are the chosen ones.
Pros
401k matching, start off with 3 weeks vacation
Cons
good old boy system is still around
Loved working here, people and managment worked as a team
senior accounting associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 21, 2016
I worked on biweekly payments, logged and keyed check request and oil & gas marketing invoices, coded G and A invoices. I also did recurring rental payments and bi-weekly high dollar reports. Reconciled past due statements.
Pros
excellent salary
Cons
downtown
Your fellow co-workers make the job
Senior development operator (Former Employee) –  Henderson Mine, Empire COMarch 10, 2016
They have there ups and downs. The people I worked with really made the job the job. The underground life turns ordinary people into family and people you can rely and trust. Management has ups and downs as well. Sometimes making your feel like there head hunting but they make safety there number on priority which is a plus. You always work 12 hr shifts either 6am to 6pm or visa versa so if you aren't capable of long hours then its probably not the job for you. It pays well once you work there over a year and you have a lot of time off. I can say if they didn't have to do a reduction if force I would still be there.
Good compensation and benefit package
Senior Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  Bagdad, AZJanuary 10, 2016
Good compensation and benefit package. My current position provided me great experience in employee relations. There was no such thing as a "typical" day.
Produtive place with long hours.
Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Morenci, AZOctober 19, 2015
Days are long, but the pay is good. I truly liked the schedule at this company. I had a mini vacation each month with 7 days off in a row. You work alone mostly with radio communication as your prime source of interacting with co-workers. The hardest part of the job is staying awake. The enjoyable part of this job was very good safety practices so you can go home to your loved ones.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Freeport has been good to me
Welder (Current Employee) –  Miami, AZJanuary 13, 2016
Freeport is a very fair and generous company. Because of the fall of copper prices many jobs are being cut. This is the only downside to this company.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
cyclical cppper cycle
Progressive
GOM DW Completion Project Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 31, 2016
Pros
Has been forced to become more competitive with other companies on salaries and benefits.
Good flex time schedule. Provide workout facilities and good 401.

Cons
You become more expendable after many years of success due to money.
American citizens were cut while contract foreigners on sponsored visas were retained.
Huge disconnect between upper management and regular employees.
Company now driven mostly by profits instead of helping employees or local areas.
Most employees are unaware of what upper management is doing - very secretive.

Advice to Management
Decide whether you want to be your own company and different from the others or just another poorly run oil and gas company that suffered the consequences of their own poor management.
Stop overextending yourselves and over hiring when the market turns up at the expense of longtime employees. Consider your own country first instead of the mighty dollar.
Great company with great benefits
Administrative Assistant - Moly Operations (Current Employee) –  Green Valley, AZNovember 23, 2015
Freeport is a great company to work for and would rather stay employed with the company. However, due to stock prices and the price of metals, Freeport down sizes to compensate losses.
Pros
Benefits, bonuses
Cons
based on stock and production
Productive and a great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Drilling Engineer Tech) (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 6, 2016
This is truly a great company to be a part of. Besides the obvious, such as salary and benefits, this company has taught me what it is to care about the work you put out. You are encouraged to learn new things such as computer programs and how to create vital reports to ensure you are providing accurate data to upper management in the company. It is truly a family work environment, we all want to see each other succeed in the workplace. We encourage each other and help each other out when needed. The most challenging part of the work load, is figuring out what type of reports need to be created so that all departments can see the same information but related to their field. Once that report has been approved and created, onto the next challenge. I have made some wonderful friends and have learned some great skills while working here that I will be able to take with me onto my next career.
Pros
Benefits, salary, bonus, employee birthday celebrations, close nit family environment
Cons
Layoffs
Haul truck driver traine
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Morenci, MIJuly 21, 2016
The training is 3 months long, you spend the first 2 months doing general labor, picking up trash around the mine, they provide a bucket and a pick stick, you sweep side walks, you wash and detail managers cars, wash employees vans, inspect bathrooms, paint , move furniture between offices to prepare for meetings or if a secretary moves from an office to another, anything labor that needs to be done trainees are called to do it and Pledge of Allegiance to the flag every morning, you start training on trucks the third month.
Horrible Sr. Management Decisions
Safety Manager (Current Employee) –  ArizonaOctober 7, 2015
There is no career track safety professionals. The company is quick to move people with zero health and safety experience into the safety department. This is compromising the credibility of safety
Pros
affordable benefits. Global operations.
Cons
Human resource. Career development
Productive, money making environment
Production Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Vanadium, NMAugust 22, 2015
Freeport McMoRan is a great place to work if you willing to learn the tasks and be a team player. As a haul truck driver you get loaded and dump the dirt onto a stock pile or dump depending on whether you have waste or ore. The management there is fantastic. You learn how to drive a haul truck which is basically like driving a two story house.
Pros
Great Work Place, Good Benefits
Cons
Sitting down for twelve hours
Some co-workers are fun to work with
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Morenci, AZJuly 31, 2016
A lot can be learnt at Freeport. It is very good for beginers. College graduates get to learn quickly on the job. It is a place that has thought me a lot. Everyday, everytime and every year, new things are thought by way of improving safety and enviromental issues. There is also continuous improvement of the skills of employees. Only few managers and supervisors make it hard for employees to stay longer.
Pros
Time for breaks
Cons
There are benefits for employees
Always learning and fun place to work.
Mercantile Associate (Former Employee) –  Morenci, AZAugust 15, 2016
I work for Freeport for 3 Years, doing different jobs. I mostly ran the bar. I learned how to do all inventory and I did all the ordering. The hardest part of the job was deciding whether or not I needed to continue carrying a special kind of liquor or not. The easiest part of the job was working with all my customers. I got to meet new people every day
Pros
Insurance, bonuses, housing, PTO, overtime
Cons
Short breaks, overtime
steady paced and busy employer
Heavy equipment operator (Current Employee) –  Bayard, NMJuly 7, 2016
typical day includes steady paced production.
learned to operate various types of heavy equipment.
management is decent depending on crew
co workers are like family everyone knows everyone.
hardest part of the job is staying motivated to advance in position.
most enjoyable is schedule. given 7 days off a month.
Pros
good pay for location. decent healthcare
Cons
very hard to receive raises or advancement in positions.
Challenging hours due to operation & maintenance schedule but good benefits & salary.
Electrical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Safford, AZOctober 17, 2015
Good benefits & salary but as a supervisor, due to start up & shut down scheduled maintenance, the hours could be challenging weekly.
Pros
Within time, good bonuses.
Cons
Varied hours of work schedule.

4.3