Fremont Unified School District Employee Reviews for Education & Instruction

Teaching after-school band at FUSD is a great part-time job.
Elementary Music Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAMay 30, 2017
You can't beat this for a part-time job, if you're qualified. We had lots of autonomy but guidance too if you wanted it. Beginners are often paired with experienced teachers in a team situation at the larger classes. At the smaller classes you really get a chance to get to know the students and see the difference you made in their lives. Downsides? This program was privately funded but every year you aren't sure if they'll raise enough money. I would have liked to see a little more standards so students across the district have a similar experience. It's very easy to find yourself spending your own money on tools, instruments, repairs and music. Lots of fun though!
Pros
Autonomy, as many days a week as you want
Cons
You cannot support yourself on 10 - 12 hours a week, it has to be a supplemental or part-time situation only.
Typical large school district, no medical benefits
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAMay 28, 2017
Experience depends on school culture and administration. District provides no medical benefits. Must purchase your own. Student population generally middle class.
good place to work
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAMay 28, 2017
It takes forever to get a teaching position. Once you do you are on your own. Better know your stuff. While they are nice to you it is expected of you to not need hand holding.
Pros
Teaching is always fun
Cons
No job security
Long commute to Fremosnt from SF which was very taxing
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAMarch 2, 2017
Special education is both a rewarding and highly stressful job.
I did have asupportive principal and great teacher's aide. The staff was friendly and helpful. It was just too far away with an entirely differnt culture (suburban).
I left due to getting married and and two subsequent pregnancies.
Pros
nice staff, interesting students
Cons
Long commute and pay
Education
Contracted and Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CA 94538October 19, 2016
It feels great to work for a district that is so welcoming and positive. The staffs and upper managements that I have had the opportunity to work with have just been amazing. I've learned so much from them. I enjoyed my students as well. Some days are harder than others when working with kids, but you are reminded how grateful you are to be in that position and play such an important part in their lives.
Great school district
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJuly 14, 2016
I learned how to manage a class of 30 students on my own. There was a lot of grading to take home each day and especially over the weekends but all teachers in my grade level were very supportive. The principal and vice principal were also very kind and encouraging.
The courses I taught felt disrespected by the way administrators used them for problem children.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJuly 2, 2016
My day started at 8 a.m. and included four classes in a row until lunch. I had one break after lunch followed by another class.

The hardest part was inspiring kids to work together. The students who had strong verbal skills did not match the quiet manner of academically minded kids.

I learned to offer choices and appreciate connecting the interests of kids into projects for class.

The most enjoyable part of the class was getting to see growth in students as well as intelligence and humor in their projects.

My coworkers were outstanding, yet I was the only teacher in my subject matter. Despite the 150 students a day, it can feel lonely being the only adult in the room for 10 years in a row.
Pros
The best aspects included being creative, folding student's interests into class, filming projects, performing with students, directing students, and seeing student growth.
Cons
The least favorite moments included finding staples in my coffee, having my phone stolen with items immediately purchased by a student, feeling threatened by students who were led by negative personalities, being located next to an active cemetery, and hearing construction as a parking lot became luxury condos.
It is an excellent place to work.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAJune 14, 2015
The district provides me with an opportunity to work with ranges in age from elementary school to high school including special need kids.
Productive and efficient place to work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAJanuary 5, 2015
Good place to work they are very friendly and helpful. The staff was very helpful when I was getting cleared to coach. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my students.
Very Professional work place
Principal (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAAugust 27, 2014
Worked with administrators that were knowledgeable and professional.

Want to know more about Fremont Unified School District?

Ask a question
Great leadership, teachers and community
First Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fremont,CAMay 4, 2014
Leitch Elementary School is a unique school environment that serves grades K-3.
Productive and Creative Educational Work Environment
Classified Substitute (Current Employee) –  CAMay 29, 2012
Enjoyed every part of it except the once in a while heavy lifting of the older students for the Special Ed. segments. 90% of co workers were very helpful and I just needed direction for me to take the initiatives as a substitute for the day. Most of my work was subbing and the least thing I enjoyed was being pulled in the middle of a job I began to enjoy to be placed to another place of greater needs, as was told. But I quickly adjusted as a sub to new places and arrangements. Did not enjoy traveling to different places everyday, so was very happy with long term place after I had to prove my hard work.
Pros
training on different areas, use my various skills
Cons
subbing has no benefits; sick day, vacation pay if needed.