Freres Lumber Co., Inc was established in 1922 when T.G. Freres was approached by a banker and asked to take over a financially troubled sawmill in the North Santiam Canyon. The Company operated around the North Fork of the Santiam River until the mid-1940's. Lumber planing and loading facilities were constructed in Lyons, Oregon in 1941 where the Company is currently headquartered. All sawmill operations were moved to Lyons between 1947 and 1948 with the construction of a new sawmill.
In 1959, as plywood became increasingly competitive with lumber, T.G entered into a joint venture with Willamette Industries to build and operate a large log veneer manufacturing plant named Freres Veneer Co. The Company built a small-log veneer plant of its own in 1963, and eventually purchased Willamette's share in Freres Veneer Co in 1980, which ended a 21 year relationship. – less – More from ZoomInfo »