Freshway Foods Employee Reviews

deatailing
Sanitation Worker (Former Employee), Sidney, OHOctober 6, 2014
I liked that work was a little difficult and no matter how many times you cleaned the same machine you learned more about it and different spots to clean. fun environment to work in and fun people to work with
stable job environment and always learning new things
Raw Produce Inspector (Receiving QA) (Former Employee), Sidney, OHSeptember 30, 2014
good company to work for with stable job environment. not very much opportunity for advancement
good
machine operator (Former Employee), Sidney, OHApril 24, 2014
good. fun place to work. Friendly enviroment and good pay for the first time jobs.
The Cons Outnumber The Pros
Production Worker (Current Employee), Sidney, OHNovember 14, 2013
Pros: overtime, appreciation lunch, start job quickly.
Cons: environment, machinery / equipment, work schedule.
I'm writing this, not only from my perspective of what it's like to work at Freshway Foods, but also from other workers perspectives and opinions that I have heard or seen. I want this review to focus more on my first month, and what you should expect your first couple of days / weeks.

Being a young white male whose had experience in fast food and working on a farm, I was excited to see what the "work force" or factory work was all about, I applied to Freshway and not too long after that I was sure enough to get the job and start work very soon. One good asset of this business is that you will be sure to start not too long after orientation, maybe a couple days.

Expect to walk into a 34-38 degree factory that is very wet and noisy (depending on the area your in). Dress in layers, but if your used to the cold, or simply don't mind it, then it won't be a problem. The position they told me I was supposed to have during orientation quickly changed when I arrived for my first day. First I will say I was a "P Label-er" who worked in the "case out" area. My job was to operate a pallet lift, pick up skids, label them, operate a wrapping machine, and then drop the skids off in a certain area. I will start by saying that I was never really trained, nor did I ever get a license for any of the machinery I was operating. This isn't new with this company, many have worked here for years and do not obtain a license for anything there operating. I will say that my coworker "trained" me. As far as being professionally trained, don't expect your boss or managers to train you. Chances are, your – more... coworkers will help you along the way. Majority of the workers are Africans, the next would be either Caucasians or Mexicans. Majority of the minority's DO NOT speak English. Expect to work with people who have no clue what your are saying, and expect to not have a clue what they are saying.

As far as the machinery and the equipment you will operate. Expect to come into work knowing that at some part of the day, the machinery your operating will randomly break down and stop operating. You will see Maintenance out there every day constantly working and trying to fix something that they probably attempted to fix the previous day or week. I think it's safe to say the equipment you will handle will be outdated and will already have it's fair share of age.

As far as management goes, it all depends on who you get. For the most part, the managers aren't really "managers". I'd compare them to your average High School upperclassmen. They don't have much authority, there usually easy to get along with, but expect to get treated like a High School freshman, so to speak. Your manager's manager will rarely ever come into contact with you. If your failing at your job, expect your manager or your managers boss to walk pass you with no intention to help. Above him / her, are the people in the other part of the building. President, Vice President, Secretary, HR, etc... are all in the other part of the building not having a clue of what's really going on in the factory itself. Some of them seem clueless as to whats really going on, what needs to be done, or what needs fixed or worked on.

At Freshway, expect your work life to take over your personal life. Thankfully, I work 1st shift (If you applied, pray for 1st) which means 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM. If you work 1st shift, depending on your position and area, expect to work until 7 PM, maybe even 10 or 11 PM. If you get 2nd shift, I'm sorry. Work starts at 4:30 PM, and you don't know when you get off. Expect to work until 4 AM or 5 AM the next morning. There is a "3rd shift" but really it's Sanitation. I have no clue as what this is like, or what there experiences are. The pros to this, is that you get plenty overtime. One 15 minute paid break, and then a 30 minute unpaid lunch.

Overall, this business is very unprofessional and has a lack of acknowledgement as to whats really going on within the factory. The environment is cold, wet, noisy, and very unsafe. The people vary, some are nice, grateful they have jobs, and happy to be apart of the company. Majority are very upset, stressed, tired, and angered as to whats going on with their day to day work life. People are constantly walking in and out of that business. Freshway seems to have a hard time keeping there workers satisfied and coming back for their second day. The company will try there best to appreciate you with their once a month "appreciation lunch", which is a free lunch for all the workers. I'd feel more appreciated if they fixed my equipment, and gave me an overall better work experience. The management is probably on par with the management at McDonald's, if not worse. Your personal life will go down the drain, and you will dedicate your day to day life standing in one place, cutting onions for 10-15 hours, or operate a vehicle or machine your not licensed on, or some other miscellaneous position.

Granted, I did experience what the workforce was all about and I got to meet some different people from different cultures and countries. They seem very happy to have jobs to support there families and personal needs. Coming into this job, I didn't expect this factory work to be a picture perfect job, but I didn't expect it to be like this. You'll know what I'm talking about when you start your first couple of days. Bottom line, if your looking for a full time job in a very "meh" environment with plenty of overtime, then come on down to Freshway. My only advice is to apply to other places first, and make this your last resort place.

Thanks for reading, good luck! :)

God Bless. – less
Cold
Supervisor, salad mix line (Former Employee), Sidney, OHSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: good people
Cons: cold
Cold place to work but a friendly place to work too and it was nice in the summer and cold in the winters
Good place for managers, not so good for associates
QA and Food Safety (Former Employee), Sidney, OHAugust 21, 2013
Pros: associate appreciation days with free lunch like once every 30 to 60 days, free expired food still holding shelf time, benefits are good
Cons: never had an encouraging word from the director of my department, many from customers/visitors
Cold, noisy and wet environment. Plenty of work to do in a shift time. Did not get all the promised opportunities needed to perform my job even though I had little outside training, I had to learn many things on my own by asking, reading and doing and creating/designing job related tasks and organizational tools that were very well appreciated by customers and management. Most managers are wonderful people, few are not at all, Many, many (80%?) foreign associates, nice people to work with from different cultures and countries around the world. The hardest part of my job was lack of management communication and the most enjoyable was performing my job. Overall for me it was a great learning experience that provided for me and my family
Fast paced and continuously challenging in a positive way
Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee), Sidney, OHMarch 23, 2013
Pros: comp time and travel
Cons: extremely cold and wet environment on the floor
Start my day off walking the floor assuring there are no immediate issues to attend to on the floor and all my techs are present and know what there duties are for the day, as the process may change from day to day. I then look over my microbial data and the products in the hold area for quality shelf life reasons. Next I would correspond with the customers and communicate on the product as to what they can expect or any updates on current research and develepment. My days were always variable and I had to be ready for anything at any moment which really made my job exciting and new every day. I had an excellant staff and great co management to work with. The hardest part of my position was making everyone happy at the same time.
ok place to work
production (Former Employee), Sidney, OHMarch 20, 2012
Pros: great people
freshway is an ok place to work if you can handle onions an really cold tempatures. its a good place to work in the warmer months but not so much in the cold months due to the tempature