Fresno Pacific University Employee Reviews

Good family place of employment -- leadership tunnel vision
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 25, 2016
Great place for work and ministry to be one. Though your pay will reflect more of the ministry side. Has students as a priority, though that seems to be headed more in a numbers direction.
Pros
Good overall culture
Cons
Immediate leadership has narrow views and pay is so so
Overall enjoyable work environment
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 4, 2016
A typical day would include anything from managing gear and editing to going on a last minute shoot. The work environment differed in pace from day to day and one day I would be organizing archive data and the next would be shooting footage of the university president.

I learned a large amount about the realities of the production process. If class is the theory and application in a controlled environment, my job at Fresno Pacific was the practice and experience with the realities of video production. One of the most important things I learned was the ability to perform under pressure. Multiple times a year we produced events at which I had to run camera in front of large audiences. The largest audience I produced in front of was 8,000 people at a FPU spring graduation.

Management was very kind and understanding of the intricacies of being a student worker. My bosses stressed school first but were eager to give me additional work if I thought I could handle the load.

I had a small amount of co-workers but everyone was very kind and easy to work with almost all of the time.

The hardest part of the job was learning to collaborate with superiors. It taught e the ability to understand that even if a creative idea of mine was not acted upon, it was still valuable and appreciated. The job was also physically demanding at times. As the only one in the office capable of performing more physically demanding tasks I was asked often to lift, carry, crawl, among other things that are essential to the video production process.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able
  more... to work with people I enjoyed and learning skills that added to my ability to perform one of my passions - video editing. On a regular basis I was instructed to edit videos for the university which sparked my creative interest and made me more engaged in all the other duties I had on the job. The ability to see a project through from the beginning creative stages to the final output was exciting and intellectually stimulating.  less
Pros
Friendly co-workers, flexibility with my schedule, varying duties from day to day
Cons
Low pay, physically demanding at times, occasionally slow but also occasionally extremely high pressure
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAOctober 13, 2015
It was a professional setting where you had the freedom to work by yourself as well as accompanied by others. Care about your personal growth within the field.
Nice nice people to work with.
Representative (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CASeptember 13, 2015
I enjoyed the people and the push for education. I'm thankful I was able to go to school and work at the same time. Easy to take time off for kids and family.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
Almost impossible to promote.
Wonderful university to pursue higher education with a Christ-centered learning environment.
Fitness Center Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 11, 2015
Fresno Pacific University is an excellent place to pursue higher eduction, especially for those seeking a Christ-centered learning environment. The professors are very knowledgable, experts in their fields, and most of all willing to help the students learn. There are multiple majors to pursue and many opportunities as far as student involvement, sports, recreation, and so forth. I highly recommend this university to anyone seeking a degree in any of their offered majors, and to those seeking a learning environment focused on the Christian worldview.
Pros
Great eduction, Christ-centered, small-town atmosphere
Cons
Expensive tuition
Christian University community
Grounds Worker (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 3, 2015
Worked independently.

I learned how to operate stick mowers, other cutting tools and sprinkler systems.

Became close to supervisor and other co-workers.

The hardest part of the job was being unable to interact with the college students due to my position as Assistant Track Coach and Gym Manager being eliminated.

The most enjoyable part of the job was my supervisor and working in the seminary part of the campus.
Pros
Long term employment, enjoyed working with college students
Cons
Benefits, budget cuts causing employees to be terminated
Working at FPU was a pleasant and educational experience.
Mentor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 3, 2015
I held a couple of different jobs at FPU. I facilitated a couple of freshman writing labs for a semester, in which I helped first-year students with writing assignments from their other classes and gave general guidance in the technical aspects of writing.

I also worked as a Mentor Assistant, which consisted of assisting a single professor in a single course per semester for two semesters. My duties as Mentor Assistant included such things as running one-on-one and group tutoring sessions, acting as a resource person for the transferring juniors who were in each course as they adjusted to the university community, proctoring exams, and occasionally grading exams. For one of the professors I worked for, I sometimes ran in-class exam reviews.

I enjoyed working with the students in both jobs I held at FPU.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with a stalker who was also one of my students in one of the writing lab sessions. As difficult an experience as that was, I learned a lot about dealing with difficult people in professional situations.
Accounting Tutor
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fresno PacificJuly 30, 2015
Assist troubled students in accounting related problems and projects. Had a great time and found it great pleasure by helping students find solutions to problems.
Fun and sociable place for students who need jobs in workstudy
Mentor's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 3, 2015
For both of my jobs at Fresno Pacific University, student and person to person interaction is highly important. Being able to identify the needs of students and staff as well as making them feel comfortable in their environment is a skill that is valued. I have learned many different types of leadership skills that have taught me that both extrovert and introvert characteristics can both be used. I definitely had to manage a lot of different information for students as well as managing work training for the new employees. For one of my jobs as a mentor's assistant, I had to manage a group of 15 freshmen. My co-workers are usually fun and excellent individuals to work with. Even the ones who were seemingly difficult were easy enough to work with as long as I kept a positive attitude. Ironically, the hardest part about both of my jobs is dealing with the people because everyone is different.Therefore I had to constantly change and gauge comfort levels with everyone as to not over step my boundaries. The most enjoyable part of my job is the same as the most difficult. I love the company of others and I do enjoy working with people despite the difficulties that come along with them.
Pros
know events ahead of time, know more people
Cons
no increase in pay
well.......
Student / Maintenace (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 2, 2015
do you enjoy.............. low pay? a culture that rams religion down your throat? no hours? co-workers that talk behind your back? working for a school that takes advantage of its students?

then this is the job for you!
Pros
paycheck
Cons
you work at fresno pacific
Productive and Fun Place with daily activities
Internship at the Protection Department (Former Employee) –  Fresno CaApril 15, 2015
As a student intern working a part time, this job allowed me to not only work but also gain experience serving other students on campus. This was a very interactive job.
Pros
Free Lunches, Free Trips
Cons
Only students that attend FPU can work as interns
Learning Community
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 21, 2015
As an advisor, it brings me great joy to be able to guide and give advice for the success of my students. We provide one-on-one appreciative advising assuring holistic services.
Our team is a learning team, continuously pro-active in upgrading our operations, strategic planning, processes, and procedures.
Our institution is proud to be greatly involved within the local community as a key stakeholder in furthering education and providing excellent customer service.
Pros
fun work environment, co-workers are like family, great office space
Cons
n/a
fun school
Computer Lab Monitor (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 20, 2015
I had many different jobs here and depending on the job and the department, the management can vary from 1 star to 5 star. On a couple of my jobs my coworkers were very lazy and I often felt like I was the one pulling a lot of the weight. On my third and final job here, however, everything from my coworkers to the management was amazing. If you are a student working at Fresno Pacific, I do not recommend working in the cafeteria.
Its a fun and entetaning place for a new college student
Facilities, Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAFebruary 10, 2015
You wont find more dedicated people to investing in your life. which makes the atmosphere in which you work a fun and energetic one with friends all around you.
Great leadership and educational experience that allowed me to grow and improve my skill.
Athletic Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAFebruary 3, 2015
The typical work load included daily upkeep of the FPU Athletic's website and creating new promotional pieces for within the institution and local community. During home contest I was a full part of the event staff that allowed to operate the game stats and site supervision including the occasional game call for the websites game live link. I had the privilege to oversee the inaugural Sunbird's Sports Day with 100 local youth participating.
Pros
great leadership, ability to enhance my skills
Cons
lack of ability to renew my contract
Decent place to work
Student Accounts Manager/ Perkins Loan Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 19, 2015
I enjoyed my time at FPU. The staff there are all very kind and easy to get along with. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with.
Christian Based employment
Colege Hour Assistant (Former Employee) –  Office of Spiritual FormationAugust 25, 2014
My position required me to be at work by 7:30 am on Wednesdays and Fridays. Between that time we would set up for sound check for a chapel service. We had to ensure that everything was set up properly and that the sound and microphones were functioning properly. Once that was done I would leave for my 9 am class. After class was over I would return to work and would begin to set up the scanners so that students could receive credit for attending chapel. Once the scanners were set up I would greet the students that would enter and I would scan them in. Once it turned 10:20 am I closed down all the computer and the scanners until chapel was over. At 10:50 am when chapel was over, I returned all the computers to the storage room and would also dismantle all the speakers, wires, music instruments, and video cameras that were set up by other students. Mondays was different from Wednesdays and Fridays in which other students and myself would get together to critique the chapels from the previous weeks and we would also have a bible study. I learned a lot from this job because it allowed me to build connections with pastors and christian leaders within Fresno the community. It has also helped me to embrace my faith and to lead using my faith. Management was great and they showed interest in their workers and would be supportive of us as students. The hardest part of the job was having to lead a bible study, especially since It was new to me and always having to place our own desires aside to help other students. The most enjoyable part of this job was growing in my faith and using  more... it to build new relationships with people of various backgrounds.  less
Pros
free lunches, free leadership retreats
Cons
temporary job, pay was a scholarship
University
Grounds Maintenance (student/employee) (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 6, 2014
It was a good place to work and be able to work and go to school.
Great atmosphere
Student Online Support, Team Member (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 30, 2014
Great place to be employed as a student while finishing a bachelors degree.
Friendly environment
Chestnut Apartments Tutor, Part-time (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 19, 2013
I usually check the mail the second I arrive at work. I file and organize papers and input student data onto excel. When I have done all the work for the day I make sure the office is clean. I have learned how to manage my time well. I have developed a habit of always finding something productive to do during work hours. My supervisor shows me and my co-workers how to be more professional in the work environment. She is patient and lets the workers learn as they go. The hardest part of the job is scheduling students to meet with the staff. Sometimes the staff schedules an appointment but are not there and it leaves the student and me in a difficult position. The most enjoyable part is meeting new people and creating relationships.

4.2