Friendly's Employee Reviews in United States

Fun environment, horrible management
Crew (Current Employee) –  Chicopee, MAApril 25, 2016
As an employee, everything seems to run smoothly but behind the scenes is when it all falls apart. Management is chaos because nobody seems to get the correct information from anywhere, General Management is lazy and expects the world while doing nothing in terms of respect for the employees. Employees are fun to be around sometimes but chaos does happen when there is understaffing going on as the general management preaches about giving great customer service. Overall, fun place to work if you have fun with customers and employees, managements solution to everything is "we will give this to you for free"
Pros
Employees
Fun, friendly people
Server (Current Employee) –  Newark, DE 19713April 24, 2016
A typical day working at Friendly's consists of being very busy, dealing with some rude customers and some rude co-workers, some rude customers and some very friendly customers and co-workers. Since I have started working at Friendly's, I have learned how to be a waitress, to work faster, what people like to hear and that people enjoy when you go the extra mile for them.
Pros
Happy customers, tips, friendly co-workers
Cons
Frustrating, rude co-workers
very hostile environment
Waitress/trainer (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEApril 17, 2016
The management is not organized, which really makes it hard to work with them. I think my biggest issue with Friendlys is solely a management problem. The GM is very hard on employees and is not compassionate to family or personal problems that everyday people will encounter.He does not have any children or wife at home and doesn't take lightly to someone having things come up that are do to their home life.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
lack of communication with management
Fast-paced friendly work enviroment
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Vorhess NJApril 2, 2016
• Maintained sales and product in a face paced environment
• Created a service-focused and cost-conscious with strong expertise in front- and back-of-house operations to establish a welcoming, energetic dining atmosphere
• Monitored compliance with safety and sanitation standards.
• Collaborated with team to implement corporate business strategies and trained kitchen staff on new menu items.
Pros
Gain valuable experience
Cons
no health care
Productive and fast paced work place
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, MAMarch 24, 2016
Usually, a typical day at Friendly's isn't a "typical" day, it could be steady or slow. Your coworkers are your best assets and allies, they become your really good friends. The customers are great and you can really connect and get along with them. The hardest part of the job would have to be the memorization of all the changing product, or the training of the MICROS system, it's easy to understand once you are trained on how to use it. The most enjoyable part of the job is making the customer happy, and when they can leave with a smile. Then you know you had made their day better.
Pros
free food
Cons
unpaid breaks, long hours
Great staff terrible cooperate decisions. not worth it.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Southington, CTMarch 21, 2016
the store is run like any other waitressing job you will find. Cooperate makes the job 1000000x harder to do your job. Things such as carrying one soup bowl on a tray bigger than you will eventually start to take a toll on you. Like I said, cooperate is running this business to the ground. Expect to be waiting on cheap people considering we offer deals like breakfast for half off. Cooperate is making Friendly's so they attract cheaper people and we get less tips. It's not worth the money.
Pros
nothing
Cons
EVERYTHING
My First Job
Various (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAJune 12, 2016
Just like any other restaurant, some days are busy while others can be really slow. I learned patience with customers which was a huge building factor for Customer Service. The management was the greatest part of that job for the first 4 years. The last year, new management came in and I believe he's ruined the Friendly's reputation. Now, the service is horrible and I've only seen bad reviews since then. The co-workers were excellent and I still keep in contact with a few of them. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the customers. I kept my cool with them and ensured they were satisfied at all times regardless of how frustrating they may of gotten. The most enjoyable part of the job was being with the employees. It wasn't just because the name of the Restaurant, they were all friendly and we all played our part to have a fun and successful day at work.
Pros
Location, great food, and my co-workers.
Cons
Pay, long shifts, and the later on management.
Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, MDJune 20, 2016
The days were always manageable even on the more difficult days we all got through it whether morning or night. My Co-Workers were amazing and management helped out a lot if necessary. Hardest part was cleaning the grill. Most enjoyable was cooking every night
Pros
1/2 discounted food
Friendly's
Server/ Hostess (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYFebruary 19, 2016
The scheduling is never right, you must put in time off 18 days before taking it, which is reasonable... IF they decide to give it to you, Many times I had prior obligations, let them know well ahead of when I needed days off and they said I would get the time off and then call the day of asking why I wasn't at work. Many of the staff are rude, there are very few that are pleasant to be around. I'm sure this is only that particular store, however, I was not happy working there.
horrible place to work
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, MAApril 19, 2016
dirty, management doesn't care, and neither do the employees, I was only supposed to be part time as I had another full time job, the management kept giving me 40 hours every week even though I continuously told them I couldn't work that. They would then try to guilt me into working the hours.
Cons
pay, no one listens to you
dishwasher is a crucial component in the resturant clockwork
sanitary technician (Former Employee) –  Williamstown, NJMay 12, 2016
washed dishes all shift, cleaned floors plates cups glasses bowls silverware and work surfaces. got to know the manager and we had a good time working together as a team with the servers and kitchen crew
Pros
discount food
Cons
slippery when wet
Fast paced restaurant
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTFebruary 22, 2016
My normal day at Friendly's consisted of seating guests when I welcomed them in. I would then seat them according to whatever the rotation was. During lunch time when it wasn't so busy I would help clean tables for the servers and roll silverware for the dinner rush. Working at friendly's definitely helped me learn about communication and how working together is key in a restaurant like this.
i really like working here
Assistant Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Bernardsville, NJMarch 8, 2016
i like working for friendly's ive been with friendly's since 2005 . i love meeting new people and getting to know my customers i also love hiring new employee and training them friendlys i really love our homemade ice cream and hot fudge
Pros
I can make my own schedule and frre food
Cons
i drive an hour away and i work a lot of nights
Great food and sevice
SIX FLAGS, Agawam, MA Position-Games Operator (Former Employee) –  East Longmeadow, MAJuly 6, 2016
Friendly's is an excellent restaurant with good food product and experienced staff who were always good with training new employees and giving customers anything they needed and more.
Pros
50% off on all product.
Cons
bad benefits
fast paste environment to work
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 17, 2016
days i've learn a lot abt cooking americans foods,i had one of the best manager ive work for and the hardest was when we get real busy on saturday night but it was great because we togetherr to to satisfied the customers.
Pros
free lunch break
Cons
benefits was ok
Was not my favorite place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAJanuary 25, 2016
I worked a night shift, and at times did not get out until 2 or 3 in the morning. It was alot of responsibility to close. If I was in the office trying to balance, and personnel would decide to leave without telling me, I would end up doing their side work. Also you could get transferred with a long notice, and sometimes the transfer was in an undesirable location. That happened to me, and I decided it was time to go.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
The ability to transfer you at a whim, covering other Friendly's
Very stressful but fun staff
Scoopoligist / Cashier (Current Employee) –  Goshen, NYJuly 16, 2016
Some of the working conditions are not safe. Everyone who works there is very Friendly. Not paid enough. Not for me. On your feet for most of the day. Everyone picks favorites not treated equally.
Pros
Meeting Customers
Cons
Hazardous
A Good Starter Job
Waitress/Server (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTMarch 15, 2016
This restaurant was a casual family dining establishment. The management tried too hard to push it to a steakhouse environment to compete with local steakhouse's, which it could not be, You bussed tables, cashed out customers, worked the ice cream fountain, all on a server pay.
overall great work place
Line cook (Former Employee) –  East Stroudsburg, PAApril 6, 2016
8 hrs a day, I learned all aspects of back of house and to cook,clean and prep fast.Worked well as a team. dealing with wait staff was the hardest part of job and customer satisfaction was pleasing.
Pros
consistent work
Cons
not much opportunity for advancement
Expect too much for too little return
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDFebruary 26, 2016
The management expects too much from the staff with little to no support. The kitchen staff is overwhelmed with not enough equipment. You can only work with what you have and when you can't get food out on time because there is not enough equipment to cook it in, the managers scream.

2.8