Friends Of Youth Employee Reviews

no cohesive policies and procedures, trauma-informed in name only
house (Former Employee) –  kirkland waDecember 4, 2015
Worked in a tlp housing program. the program manager was doctoring my incident reports and told me to go to therapy becuase I was expressing concern at the lack of clinical services available for the clients (cps calls pushed off on me for clients with children relapsing, because my supervisor needed validation from the "great relationships" she had with her clients")

reactive, non-clinically appropriate policies with no consistency within the program or with regard from client to client.

higher pay than most youth agencies, but not worth the liability. the program manager makes the policies for the programs they supervise, and each new program manager redesigns their programs from the ground up when there is turnover at management level, which there is a lot of (because no clinical understanding/perspective and no agency-or-department-wide policies and procedures). hardly any orientation, competitive YOUNG WHITE Middle class culture of most employees. most minorities are treated less than unless you are bi lingual no job security.

ETHNOCENTRISM doesnt work for youth. time management, hygiene, social norms and "follow-through" are learned skills.
Pros
workshop training available
Cons
very few clinically trained supervisors, inconsistent and competing management directions, trauma-informed used as a buzzword to get funding, not implemented for youth or employee relations
Youthful organization supporting a good cause.
Communications and Public Affairs Manager (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, WAMay 23, 2015
I am an advocate for the organizations mission and truly value the work we do. I enjoy my role as Communications and Public Affairs Manager and being directly involved with advocacy work and streamlining the brand of the agency across a multitude of media channels.

The organization is currently undergoing tremendous turnover with an interim CEO which makes it very challenging to plan and execute.

I have become more knowledgeable on public policy as it relates to troubled youth and youth homelessness.

There is a youthful spirit amongst my co-workers
If you have the patience
Behavioral youth counselor-graveyard shift (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAApril 6, 2014
I love working at Friends of Youth. The graveyard shift is a fine shift if you are an individual who gets things done on their own. I learned that there are many people out there who care to make a difference in the lives of young adults. I thank those people deeply, but the others who are here for just the paycheck and get away with sleeping on the job you have forced me to look elsewhere. When you work grave you feel like it is just you and your responsibilities, you will not get praised if you complete them everyday like your suppose to, but you will get called out if you don't . The hardest part of the job is watching co-workers come into work late, be lazy, not follow protocol, and when you tell the supervisor thinking he will stop it, the same things continue to happen. I
Pros
free food easy pace work environment
Cons
sometimes you feel alone
Personal inner growth
Bilingual Residential Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAMarch 29, 2014
Supervise at-risk youth including case management, crisis intervention and skill building, Engage youth in positive caring environment. I have increased myself awareness and personal growth as a youth counselor. My co-workers are awesome and out management works hard to keep both staff and resident engaged in positive modeling behavior. I really enjoy the peace at night but I miss the outreach.
Pros
beautiful lake washington view
Cons
graveyard shift
Nice work
Accountant Intern (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 20, 2014
Good work place with small group of people. Not much to learn since it's a small group of people.
Weekend Relief Staff (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAMay 6, 2013
Nothing beats seeing the youth we work with succeed and reach their goals.
A great place to work with great causes
CONTROLLER (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJuly 23, 2012
Most days are routine overthere,. Around audit time there would be lots of works for accounting staff, stress will be high. Management are good, compassionate and professional people. The hardest part of the job is to meet deadline for all kinds of important reports. The most enjoyable part of the job are meeting , talking and sharing with social worker staff and kids who need us.
Productive and Goal Oriented
Marketing & Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAMay 20, 2012
I learned about issues related to youth homelessness and youth development in Seattle during my time with Friends of Youth as their Marketing and Communications Manager. The organization's key goal was to provide shelter, education and needed support for a homeless youth to be able to pursue their career and re-structure their life. During my time here, I organized events and in the process, had to reach out to political members for their support and engage existing donors. I proposed and implemented outreach through social media and email marketing and established a venue for existing clients to speak their stories. My co-workers were objective driven and fun. I managed marketing collateral and quarterly newsletter production.

4.2