Friends of the High Line (FHL) is the NYC Department of Parks & Recreation’s non-profit partner working to ensure the park on the High Line is maintained as a great public place for all New Yorkers and visitors to enjoy. In addition to overseeing the maintenance, operations, and public programming for the High Line, FHL is currently working to raise the essential private funding to help complete the High Line's construction and create an endowment for its future operations.
The Manager of Park Maintenance is a critical member of FHL’s Park Operations team. Under the supervision of FHL’s Vice President of Horticulture & Park Operations, the Manager of Park Maintenance will lead a team of Maintenance Technicians in maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing the High Line's unique systems and infrastructural elements, including but not limited to mechanical, electrical, plumbing, irrigation, and security functions.
Working interactively with other operations teams, including Custodians, Gardeners, and Visitor Services staff, as well as Friends of the High Line administration, the Manager’s responsibilities will include:
- Supervise a small team of Maintenance Technicians responsible for daily and long-term maintenance assignments on the High Line;
- Oversee and prioritize daily operations and maintenance of all working elements of the High Line including mechanicals, specialized lighting systems, pumps, water feature, plumbing, electrical systems, elevators, security gates, etc., in addition to basic maintenance of water fountains, park benches, pavers, door locks, etc.;
- Oversee maintenance of a small fleet of electric and diesel vehicles, snow removal equipment, and other small small-engine and power tools;
- Act as on-call point of contact for emergency maintenance issues, providing immediate response for mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) systems as well as elevators and all general repair
- Collaborate with outside contractors to perform repairs, seasonal adjustments, and capital improvement projects;
- Conduct daily rounds, reporting any inconsistencies or malfunctions of MEP systems and coordinating logistics;
- Oversee inventory and upkeep of all maintenance-related tools and supplies;
- Train staff in proper use of equipment;
- Participate in snow and ice removal;
- Assist with special projects including public and private events set-ups; High Line Food Vendor Program
- Track all work orders, submit regular reports, and document projects as per FHL and Parks Department regulations;
- Meet regularly with Vice President of Horticulture & Park Operations to assess priorities and communicate issues.
- Excellent management skills;
- Detail-oriented; excellent communication skills;
- Demonstrate working knowledge across a wide variety of trades;
- Ability to clearly communicate, verbally and in writing;
- Minimum 5 years supervisory experience; in addition to 5 years hands-on maintenance work;
- Ability to troubleshoot problems, and take quick corrective action to a variety of maintenance issues;
- Ability to read schematics, ability to work with Microsoft Outlook, and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Valid driver’s license;
- Ability to work overtime, weekends, and holidays as needed;
- Desired Certifications: Equipment operator, welding, OSHA training, applicable technical certifications.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements. Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted.
Friends of the High Line is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Indeed - 20 months ago