Friends of the National Zoo Employee Reviews in United States

Productive work Place
Vault Room Teller (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 18, 2015
On a typical day at work myself and a co-worker would arrive around 8:00 am to prepare for the day work. We would determine who would have the safe for the day and who will process the work. This was done under no direct supervision. The our job would consist of bank deposit's and data entry.
Pros
A relaxed placed to work
Cons
No advancement opportunity and poos management
My be the Only job that is very close to home were you dont have to travel father to see rare and wonderful animals
Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 11, 2015
Normal day you go to work in uniform, clockin. wait til you are asigned to go to one out of the 3 different gift shops. You will either be stocking merchadise, asigned at the cash register or both. You will meet and assist alot of different people from all across the world. co worker ages are normally around 16-60. The hardest time of the day is around noon in summer months . thats when all the tour bus pick up/drop off zoogoer and they always want to get that last min gift before going home/ exploring the zoo which lives very very crowed stores. Best part of the job is lunch not because you get a second to destress or you get a percentage off from the snack bar.The best part is being a short walk from seeing the gaint pandas, lions, monkeys or what ever your favorate animal might be. Working special events are fun too, e.i Boo at the zoo, etc. You sometimes will receivce get free stuff.
Pros
Bonus from selling the most zoo memberships discounts at food/giftshop
Cons
No health care, Cuts hours during the winter months, Sour Management
Productive Workplace
Information Aide/Guest Services (Current Employee) –  washington dcNovember 22, 2014
Everyday is a new experience at the zoo. Always a new adventure and a new learning experience. I love to make a costumers day by helping them as much as possible.
productive, fun working place
Guest Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 30, 2014
everything is wonderful about this job. Hands on and lots of work!
If you love children the best job for you!!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 26, 2014
Planning daily activites that children would particiate in order to learn a new skill for the real world. Co-worker/ team are the greatest part of your job. Hardest part of the job are children attitudes but if you understand children lifestyles.
micro managed, too much pressure for the type of work
Gift Shop Leader (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 3, 2014
co-workers are fantastic they make the day go by easily. The enviroment itself as far as the location is concerned is wonderful. Management however, is a different story. I would not suggest this as a place of employment for anyone.
Pros
open area, plenty to see
Cons
takes 3 yrs to get healthcare, organization is micro-managed which makes for a difficult work enviroment
Fun place to work it you love animals
Birthday Safari Host/Guide (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 9, 2013
Fun and easy place to work if you love animals and working with children
Friends of the National Zoo (FONZ)
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 26, 2012
Friends of the National Zoo (FONZ) is a support organization for The National Zoo is Washington, DC. A typical day at work was very busy because pretty much all year around they would hold classes, workshops, and events. Learning how to multi-task was very important, as well as, being exposed to different software progams helped broaden my horizons as a person. I had great management during the 19 years that I worked for that organization and they were fantastic, as well as, my co-workers who were all dedicated to the non-profit organizations support for endangered species thriving. The hardest part of the job was the ever changing policies but was able to acclimate to the ever changing environment for the sake of the organization. I believe the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to see animals and interecting with the various constituents who were calling as well as visiting the Zoo on a regular basis throughout the year. The best time to visit is during the fall and winter because they animals are active all year around but during these times the crowds are low and you can see the animals openly and freely. Plus, you will be able to find parking on a regular basis.
Pros
animals
Cons
crowds
Great seasonal job
Food Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  DCSeptember 8, 2012
This job is perfect if you are in school. They are very flexible when it comes to that.
Interesting place to work.
Groundskeeper/Traffic Aid (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 31, 2012
I was still in high school while employed at the zoo & it was my first job so enjoyed it as a experience as an employer. At the zoo I had many duties I was first a groundskeeper, where I was assigned a area of the zoo to maintain I keep clean for the entire day. A typical day a work was OK minus the hot summer days where I had to stand outside all day which can became exhausting, but other than that the day went by very fast & I manged to complete my task I was assigned. My co-workers where allot older then me, some of them where retirees who worked just weekends, others where the everyday, I got along with them very well we joked, talked & made sure the day went by as stress free as possible.
I also worked as a Traffic Aid after I decided to try something different & leave grounds-keeping. While a Traffic Aid, I was assigned a parking lot in the zoo (there's 4 of them) I had to manage that parking lot all day. I made sure there was no traffic jams in the lot, no suspicious behavior, & made sure everybody had a parking space before letting others in. If the lot was full I would send them to a another parking lot that has spaces throughout the zoo. Just like grounds-keeping, the hardest part was the hot weather other than that everything was good
Pros
free lunches, tips, zoo disounts
Cons
weather, rude customers
Lively place to work with special events
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 17, 2012
Atmosphere and environment is ideal; away from downtown Washington, DC
Pros
away from downtown dc
Cons
sometimes feel isolated

4.2