Friendship Public Charter School Employee Reviews in United States

Great for student successes at the expense of educator
Educational and Resource Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 23, 2016
Friendship Public Charter Schools provide underprivileged students with great learning opportunities; however, lack of instructional materials leave educators to create and follow their own content... as long as it aligned with the organizations strategies and plans for each grade level. Support from the administration is difficult to receive and employees are often left to utilize personal means to be effective in the classroom. The most difficult part of the job is the amount of irrelevant professional development the staff is required to attend.
Pros
Laid back approach to education
Cons
"Iron Fist" like administration
Special Educator for the differentiated learner!
Special Education Teacher/Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 26, 2016
I was taught to work and adapt in any environment. I am a reflective thinker, I take suggestions and criticism and use them to make me a better educator. I believe you can learn something new everyday and especially from our students, especially my students with IEPs. I love to work with the most challenging students because they keep you grounded, make you always think of new/innovative ideas and they challenge you to become a better teacher for their benefit. I've had the opportunity to be both inside the classroom and outside of the classroom; and now I have a new-found appreciation for the classroom teacher and all that we offer a school district.
Pros
Great coworkers and professional development opportunities
Cons
Lack of strong leadership and Consistency w/both staff and students
Excellent School
Paraprofessional/Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2015
Wonderful school. Great place to work. Lot's of Professional Development opportunities, friendly co-workers, positive culture overall. I have no complaints.
great work place,
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 3, 2015
enjoy working here such a great experience i learned most of what i know about security from working at friendship, management is okay but can be a lot better, my coworkers are awesome. the hardest part about my job is not enough money to meet all of my needs and the most enjoyable part is meeting new people everyday and the learning experience.
Community oriented atmosphere
1st Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  645 Milwaukee Place, SE Washington DC, 20032July 28, 2015
A typical day started with breakfast then moved into morning meeting. This was followed by a morning literacy block. The literacy block was centers based with a read aloud at the beginning and guided reading throughout. Lunch and recess were next. The afternoon consisted of a math block, followed by a social studies/science block, then a special to close out the day.

There was a large technology focus. Scholars had access to a SMART Lab, chromebooks, and Promethean Boards. There was a focus on giving scholars the skills necessary to be successful in the 21st century.
Great Corporate Leadership, Local Leadership Needs Work
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 2, 2015
The vision and mission of the school is great. The charter holder has been in operation for 15 plus years with a successful track record. The Louisiana charter needs work starting with leadership.
Childhood Educator
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 21, 2015
Being a Childhood Educator it requires a fun loving attitude and a warm inviting environment. By working with young children you must keep the students engage with an exciting play based curriculum.
Working at Friendship Public Charter School was a good experience, I enjoyed the job!
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 7, 2015
The most enjoyable part at Friendship Public School was working with a group of team player co- workers that worked as a unit to get task done. We also had good management that we all got along with.
Great Schools
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 15, 2015
Friendly environment
The parents are easy to get along with
The administrators are professional and dedicated
The environment is full of enthusiasm
An awesome place to work
Paraprofessional Educator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 20, 2015
The staff, children and parents were great to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the children grow and master new skills.
Pros
paid training
Cons
no health care
A fun place to work.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 6, 2015
I enjoy working at friendship but we have no benefits and I feel as tho no is no room for advancement in the food service department.
Very BusyPosition
PROCUREMENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 30, 2014
Very Busy schedule daily
poor management
Interesting coworkers
not being able to do my job as I desire to
Depends on the department you work in
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 26, 2014
I have a good balance of personal life and work life. My director is very approachable and sees things from people working under him's POV.
An immensely challenging work environment
World History Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 14, 2014
FPCS is a large public charter district in DC whose struggles are not unique to urban education.
My work Day
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 10, 2014
I work part-time in the After-Care Program, at four o'clock i pick my second grade kids up from their class rooms. I bring them down for supper, we eat supper until 4:30-4:45. After supper we may take them out for a 15 minute recess depending on the weather or their behavior. After that we go into our class rooms. From 5pm-6pm is power hour, this is when we teach the kids about math, reading vocab or what ever the lesson is for that day. At 6pm they are allow to do their home work until their parents come and get them. They have to be picked up by 7pm.
Good place to begin your work experience
IT Administrator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 1, 2013
Normal Day include troubleshooting various issues from, AD account issues, WI-FI connection issues, Repair of broken computers and peripherals, migration of servers from 2003-2008, implementation of new software.

Hardest part of job was the lack of support from administration.
Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the children get excited about technology in the classroom and being able to support them.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no parking
Productive workplace, committed to the mission of educating underprevilege children in Washington DC.
Procurement/Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 7, 2013
Fast paced, busy, satisfying. Committment, intregrity, hardwork, Management has changed considerably in the last two years. Getting staff to follow some of the policies. Seeing the impact we had on the students we served.
Pros
satisfaction of providing a world class education to the students
benefits
Fun and a fast pace enviroment
Food Preparation Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 1, 2013
I was always happy to go to Friendship everyday because of the people i worked with, the staff in the school and most importantly the kids. I had a outstanding director, he was the type that wanted it done his way and the right way and i couldn't complain about that because thats exactlty how i wanted to do it, the right way. So i've learned so much over the years working in a school cafeteria and i experience alot thanks to my director and i owe it all to him. But the only people i'm goin to miss is the kids.... I always enjoyed working with the kids , getting to kno them and understanding where they come from and all the daily life situations that happens in their life. But also have a heart for the kids who never had nothing like nutrition and healthy full bellys because certin kids didnt have it like that. thats why I love the way we give kids extra food if they want it or anything because everybody understood how important it is to make sure every kid has a full course meal.
Horrible place to work
teacher (Former Employee) –  washington, d.c.April 4, 2013
They pay their teachers slightly more than the going rate, but that's for a reason. You'll be looking over your shoulder and wondering when you'll be let go, there is a "good 'ol boy" network that is impossible for newcomers to breach, you'll have no voice, and will be asked to do menial, time wasting tasks for which you'll never see the fruits of your labor. I got out of there as soon as I could.
Pros
relatively decent pay
Cons
very poorly managed
Productive Workplace for educators.
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  DCMarch 1, 2013
Great Place to grow professionally. Challenging environment. Great Administrators, Collaborative, achievement oriented.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Friendship Public Charter School. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8