Friendship Public Charter Schools Employee Reviews

The students deserve better!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20001January 3, 2018
I loved the job and did not mind walking through metal detectors. I did mind that I observed students being robbed of their futures because of low expectations and negative admonishment.
Leadership, the principal, in particular, was more concerned about appearances, standardized test scores and resume padding than students' growth. I personally witnessed on several occasions students being screamed at and verbally belittled.

I did not want to leave the students; I simply needed a less stressful, more professional environment.
Pros
Salary and benefits.
Cons
Principal; grievance process.
Productive Place to Work
Contracts Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 4, 2017
Friendship Public Charter School is devoted to providing the best possible education to its students. The atmosphere is one of collaboration and support. Everyone pulls their weight. One of the best parts of the job is the convocation - it is wonderful!
Pros
Collaborative environment; good people
Its a job
School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 13, 2017
It was an interesting place to work that is good for some but not others. I would recommend it to those who know the school culture DC and how it works.
Interesting School District to work for
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCNovember 4, 2017
Overall, just like many other public charter schools in the city. Not given a lot of support for planning, prep and other essential parts of teaching. Behavior support is not prioritized. Higher ups often hand down tasks that seem most times impossible to implement in the course of a school day.
My Day
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 28, 2017
It can be a good place to work. I just wanted to be closer to home. The students are the same as any other students. They need people there who will care for them.
stressful working enviroment
N/A (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 21, 2017
You can not get comfortable working there. Every year you have to worry about are you going to have a job when the school year ends, will there be enough money in the budget to secure your position.
job
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 21, 2017
It is a fun place to work you meet a lot of nice people if you stay you will come to be very successful in friendship I have been with them for 6 years
I provide excellent customer service to parents, students and teachers on a daily basis.
Student Information Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 11, 2017
My typical day at work consists of managing student information. This task includes student attendance, truancy, and enrollment. I am also responsible for monitoring teachers grade book and ensuring assignments and grades are accurately entered for students in a timely manner.
Pros
Great health benefit
Cons
Long work hours
High Turn over and bad school culture
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 24, 2017
Overall the teachers I worked with were great. Most of whom no longer work with the organization. However the turn over with administration and the school culture was a mess.
Pros
Pay was reasonable, great professional development offered
Cons
Long hours, meeting after school were long, no true evaluation system
Teachers and Staff are great to work with.
Supervisor/Cafeteria (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 16, 2017
Most enjoyable part of my job is providing a delicious and nutritional meal for my students. I'm currently not happy with my job because management has lost focus on the most important aspect of all of our jobs which is the kids.
N/a
Cook/Server/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 7, 2017
I love working at friendship it was a lovely experience. The staff and kids was respectful I loved everything about the job. They made me feel welcoming and it was a sanctuary
Family Oriented
Facilities and Special Projects Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 16, 2016
The office environment is very welcoming. Even though I was a intern, I was treated as if I was one of the official staff. They provided me with knowledge and experiences that has bettered me as a professional.
Very Productive organization
Social Studies Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 13, 2016
-Very busy
-Expect to work long hours
-Staff are friendly
-Can be stressful
-A lot of testing
-A lot of last minute changes
Pros
Great salaries
Cons
short breaks, long hours
Overall a lot of disorganization
Student Information Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 11, 2016
I did love my actual job but the politics and the way that people did not or did do their jobs was not of the greatest quality. This was a very unprofessional environment from the top to the bottom.
Cons
short or no lunch break
Atmosphere revealed deep cronyism
Reading Specialist and Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 18, 2016
While my particular administration was exemplary, overall cronyism ruled in the system. If you were not a close friend of the larger administration you were viewed as an outsider.
Pros
Lots of good motivational programs for the students.
Cons
Cronyism ruled.
Good but different
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 29, 2016
It was interesting working as an intern. I learned quite a few things working there. The most difficult thing about the job is that traveling between different schools in a variety of locations.
Prepared children to go to college
Paraprofessional/Early Childhood (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 4, 2015
I worked for Friendship for 6 years and enjoyed every bit of it. It was a challenge with the inner city children, but loved giving out what most where receiving in the home, love, attention, stability and guidance.
Great place to learn
IT Manager-Sr. Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Washington DcOctober 22, 2014
FPCS always stayed up to par with the lastest technology which keep us learning new things everyday.
Pros
Great Learning environment and people
Cons
Commute
It Was ok
Assistant Cafeteria Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 12, 2014
I loved working with they children and making sure they eat.
Young & Spirit filled, the privilege of working in a school in my neighborhood
Friendship Tech Prep (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 2, 2014
Overall Responsibility

Responsible for overall front office activities, including the reception area, mail, large purchasing requests and facilities. Also responsible for directing and coordinating office services and related activities, including developing and supervising programs for the maximum utilization of services and equipment. Responsible for arranging internal office moves and providing arrangements for office meetings.

Key Tasks and Responsibilities

• Manages the reception area to ensure effective telephone and mail communications both internally and externally to maintain professional image.
• Supervises and coordinates overall administrative activities for the Office Administration Department.
• Supervises the maintenance and alteration of office areas and equipment, as well as layout, arrangement and housekeeping of office facilities.
• Negotiates the purchase of office supplies and furniture, office equipment, etc., for the entire staff in accordance with company purchasing policies and budgetary restrictions.
• Supervises the maintenance of office equipment, including copier, fax machine, etc.
• Responsible for the facilities day-to-day operations (such as distributing building access keys and back-up to security access cards, etc.)
• Participates as needed in special department projects.
Skills and Attributes

• At least two years of switchboard experience.

• Working knowledge of mail processes such as postage machine, Federal Express and UPS.

• Good planning and organizational skills.

• Well-developed interpersonal
  more... and communication skills.

• Professional appearance and manner.

• Computer literacy, specifically MS Word for Windows.

• Ability to manage staff (supervisory experience).

• Ability to negotiate effectively.

• Ability to lift approximately 15-20 lbs.
Pros
Building relationships with the students.
Cons
I feel like everything and everyone has some type of flaw. The end result makes it all null in void.