Friendship Public Charter Schools

Friendship Public Charter Schools Employer Reviews

Young & Spirit filled, the privilege of working in a school in my neighborhood
Friendship Tech Prep (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 2, 2014
Pros: building relationships with the students.
Cons: i feel like everything and everyone has some type of flaw. the end result makes it all null in void.
Overall Responsibility

Responsible for overall front office activities, including the reception area, mail, large purchasing requests and facilities. Also responsible for directing and coordinating office services and related activities, including developing and supervising programs for the maximum utilization of services and equipment. Responsible – more... for arranging internal office moves and providing arrangements for office meetings.

Key Tasks and Responsibilities

• Manages the reception area to ensure effective telephone and mail communications both internally and externally to maintain professional image.
• Supervises and coordinates overall administrative activities for the Office Administration Department.
• Supervises the maintenance and alteration of office areas and equipment, as well as layout, arrangement and housekeeping of office facilities.
• Negotiates the purchase of office supplies and furniture, office equipment, etc., for the entire staff in accordance with company purchasing policies and budgetary restrictions.
• Supervises the maintenance of office equipment, including copier, fax machine, etc.
• Responsible for the facilities day-to-day operations (such as distributing building access keys and back-up to security access cards, etc.)
• Participates as needed in special department projects.
Skills and Attributes

• At least two years of switchboard experience.

• Working knowledge of mail processes such as postage machine, Federal Express and UPS.

• Good planning and organizational skills.

• Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills.

• Professional appearance and manner.

• Computer literacy, specifically MS Word for Windows.

• Ability to manage staff (supervisory experience).

• Ability to negotiate effectively.

• Ability to lift approximately 15-20 lbs. – less
Friendship Mission
Management (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: opportunity to be creative, growing in my profession and giving back to our community
Cons: n/a
Recently joined the Friendship team and the mission of this organization is what drive me to be part of this great team. From our leadership all the way down to a coordinator makes this organization exceptional in the educational field.
Working for the Students = Rewarding Experience
Human Capital (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 26, 2014
It is a high pace environment, but with a supportive atmosphere which allows for collaboration, and remembering why we do this work (for the students), I find my job very rewarding.
An organization that cares deeply for the well-being of its students, and the professional development of its employees
HR Assistant (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: competitive salary and benefits, professional development, enjoyable work culture
Working at FPCS has been a very rewarding experience. All of the employees and leadership do what they can to make sure you are comfortable, and encourage you to grow. The most challenging part is doing tasks out of my comfort zone, but I am able to succeed because my colleagues have confidence in me. I have learned and developed an immense amount of – more... skills thanks to Friendship and the amazing people who work here. At the end of the day, everyone does what they do to benefit the children of the schools, which is a reason to work here alone! – less
Responsible for designing, creating and managing all corporate databases while performing capacity planning, tuning and updates to the system.
Oracle Database Administrator (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 10, 2014
Responsible for creating and maintaining appropriate documentation for databases, production support and end-users.
Responsible for creating and building Oracle databases in a virtualized environment consisting of automation and orchestrated delivery mechanisms
Responsible for installing, configuring, patching, and upgrading Oracle database and RAC – more... DBs
Implements and enforces database security based upon best practice and regulatory policies
Maintains database architectures and strategies to ensure performance, availability, integrity and security of client databases. – less
Blood Sweat Tears
Designated Aide (Former Employee), Washington DCAugust 28, 2013
Pros: free professional developments
Cons: lunch
I enjoyed my overall experience. The students are Awesome!!! The Teacher are Amazing!!!
Great Company
Office Manager (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 2, 2013
Pros: school holidays, excellent benefits, fantastic staff
Cons: extremely long work hours for a school and they do not pay overtime for the time worked
Depending on which school you are assigned to, you will find your job to rewarding.
Horrible Schools--Does NOT value the student
Speech Therapist (Former Employee), several schoolsFebruary 26, 2013
Cons: inadequate and inexperienced administrators, negative environment
I have worked as an SLP in six different counties over the years. Friendship was the WORSE! The administration was not supportive and didn't value the opinions or expertise of the related service staff. Parents were frequently lied to by the special ed coordinators due to them trying to protect their jobs. I sat in way too many IEP meetings were children – more... were misdiagnosed, special ed coordinators really had no interest when I would try to advocate for the students. They only wanted to get the meetings over with. I could no longer tolerate the children not getting the services they so badly needed and left. I really feel bad for the children because they are the ones who are suffering the most. – less
Horrible Schools--Does NOT value the student
Speech Therapist (Former Employee), several schoolsFebruary 26, 2013
Cons: inadequate and inexperienced administrators, negative environment
I have worked as an SLP in six different counties over the years. Friendship was the WORSE! The administration was not supportive and didn't value the opinions or expertise of the related service staff. Parents were frequently lied to by the special ed coordinators due to them trying to protect their jobs. I sat in way too many IEP meetings were children – more... were misdiagnosed, special ed coordinators really had no interest when I would try to advocate for the students. They only wanted to get the meetings over with. I could no longer tolerate the children not getting the services they so badly need and left. – less
Slavery Ended in 1863
Admin (Former Employee), CollegiateFebruary 5, 2013
This organization is an example of why DC Residents should be ashamed they allowed charter schools to replace public schools. From the CEO on down to the local school leaders, there is an air of incompetence and unprofessional behavior that permeates the entire organization, thus rendering it impotent in the education arena.

I would never send my children – more... to these schools, as NONE of them have EVER reached AYP, and their achievement has been poor to fair. I strongly urge you to avoid Friendship Public Charter Schools at ALL COSTS. – less
Unstable work environment with a lot of negative work politics
School Psychology Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 3, 2013
Pros: campuses were all in close proximity
Cons: unprofessional staff, high turnaround, compromising practice standards.
I was a school psychology intern at Friendship and it was a grueling experience. Many of the psychologists and interns split their time among all campuses and overtime was a requirement to get work done. There is a high turnaround rate, and I found myself taking on caseloads of several counselors/ psychologists that left Friendship around the same time – more... frame. Many of the administrators don't seem to have the best interest of the students, and I would often see that the school psychologist's professional opinion was undervalued and over-ruled. There were a few psychologists that were well informed and worked well, but these individuals were unhappy and found other positions. A few supervisors gave a majority of their workload to interns and would take credit for the services provided, etc. I found many of the supervisors, coordinators, and clinical management team to be dishonest, and it seemed that the brown-nosers were given leadership roles despite their lack of skill, knowledge and leadership ability. Friendship was a very unstable environment and from my observation, many psychologists felt that their professional licenses were in jeopardy. As an intern, I was unpaid, but judging from many of the psychologists remarks about their salaries, the pay was not fair compensation considering the work load. I would NEVER apply for a paid position at Friendship Public Charter School. I have since worked as a school psychologist within a few school districts, and Friendship PCS was hands down the worst experience that I have encountered. – less
Not all that
High class flunky (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 30, 2013
Cons: short breaks, not enough training for a position, expect you to stay at work all day, night and weekends
I worked for Friendship and although they have the funding to pay decently, it is a very unorganized place to work. They expect you to be there from sun up to sun down and weekends too. They could care less about work life balance. The Executive Director of the schools is very rude and doesn't care how he speaks to people. The turnover rate is very – more... high at all of the campuses. I would not advise anyone to work there. apply at your own risk.

By the way I wasn't fired and I've never been written up. I just didn't like the atmosphere at all and quit after being there a short time. – less
This organization is rooted in high standards and expectations for students and employees
Special Education Coordinator (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 25, 2012
Pros: everything
Cons: n/a
Working at FPCS has been a rewarding experience. I have matured in my profession and excelled at my craft through incessant professional developments and on site learning opportunities.
High competency of instructional staff, thriving student culture, transparency of
Department Lead (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 13, 2012
Pros: great co workers, great kids, benefits
Cons: never enough hours in the day to get everything done
Like all employers, your time here will be what you make it. Under ideal circumstances, bringing positive energy and well intentioned direction will yield you good results.