Friendship Public Charter Schools Employee Reviews

Teachers and Staff are great to work with.
Supervisor/Cafeteria (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 16, 2017
Most enjoyable part of my job is providing a delicious and nutritional meal for my students. I'm currently not happy with my job because management has lost focus on the most important aspect of all of our jobs which is the kids.
N/a
Cook/Server/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 7, 2017
I love working at friendship it was a lovely experience. The staff and kids was respectful I loved everything about the job. They made me feel welcoming and it was a sanctuary
Family Oriented
Facilities and Special Projects Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 16, 2016
The office environment is very welcoming. Even though I was a intern, I was treated as if I was one of the official staff. They provided me with knowledge and experiences that has bettered me as a professional.
Very Productive organization
Social Studies Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 13, 2016
-Very busy
-Expect to work long hours
-Staff are friendly
-Can be stressful
-A lot of testing
-A lot of last minute changes
Pros
Great salaries
Cons
short breaks, long hours
Overall a lot of disorganization
Student Information Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 11, 2016
I did love my actual job but the politics and the way that people did not or did do their jobs was not of the greatest quality. This was a very unprofessional environment from the top to the bottom.
Cons
short or no lunch break
Atmosphere revealed deep cronyism
Reading Specialist and Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 18, 2016
While my particular administration was exemplary, overall cronyism ruled in the system. If you were not a close friend of the larger administration you were viewed as an outsider.
Pros
Lots of good motivational programs for the students.
Cons
Cronyism ruled.
Good but different
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 29, 2016
It was interesting working as an intern. I learned quite a few things working there. The most difficult thing about the job is that traveling between different schools in a variety of locations.
Prepared children to go to college
Paraprofessional/Early Childhood (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 4, 2015
I worked for Friendship for 6 years and enjoyed every bit of it. It was a challenge with the inner city children, but loved giving out what most where receiving in the home, love, attention, stability and guidance.
Great place to learn
IT Manager-Sr. Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Washington DcOctober 22, 2014
FPCS always stayed up to par with the lastest technology which keep us learning new things everyday.
Pros
Great Learning environment and people
Cons
Commute
It Was ok
Assistant Cafeteria Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 12, 2014
I loved working with they children and making sure they eat.
Young & Spirit filled, the privilege of working in a school in my neighborhood
Friendship Tech Prep (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 2, 2014
Overall Responsibility

Responsible for overall front office activities, including the reception area, mail, large purchasing requests and facilities. Also responsible for directing and coordinating office services and related activities, including developing and supervising programs for the maximum utilization of services and equipment. Responsible for arranging internal office moves and providing arrangements for office meetings.

Key Tasks and Responsibilities

• Manages the reception area to ensure effective telephone and mail communications both internally and externally to maintain professional image.
• Supervises and coordinates overall administrative activities for the Office Administration Department.
• Supervises the maintenance and alteration of office areas and equipment, as well as layout, arrangement and housekeeping of office facilities.
• Negotiates the purchase of office supplies and furniture, office equipment, etc., for the entire staff in accordance with company purchasing policies and budgetary restrictions.
• Supervises the maintenance of office equipment, including copier, fax machine, etc.
• Responsible for the facilities day-to-day operations (such as distributing building access keys and back-up to security access cards, etc.)
• Participates as needed in special department projects.
Skills and Attributes

• At least two years of switchboard experience.

• Working knowledge of mail processes such as postage machine, Federal Express and UPS.

• Good planning and organizational skills.

• Well-developed interpersonal
  more... and communication skills.

• Professional appearance and manner.

• Computer literacy, specifically MS Word for Windows.

• Ability to manage staff (supervisory experience).

• Ability to negotiate effectively.

• Ability to lift approximately 15-20 lbs.
Pros
Building relationships with the students.
Cons
I feel like everything and everyone has some type of flaw. The end result makes it all null in void.
Working for the Students = Rewarding Experience
Human Capital (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 26, 2014
It is a high pace environment, but with a supportive atmosphere which allows for collaboration, and remembering why we do this work (for the students), I find my job very rewarding.
An organization that cares deeply for the well-being of its students, and the professional development of its employees
HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 26, 2014
Working at FPCS has been a very rewarding experience. All of the employees and leadership do what they can to make sure you are comfortable, and encourage you to grow. The most challenging part is doing tasks out of my comfort zone, but I am able to succeed because my colleagues have confidence in me. I have learned and developed an immense amount of skills thanks to Friendship and the amazing people who work here. At the end of the day, everyone does what they do to benefit the children of the schools, which is a reason to work here alone!
Pros
Competitive salary and benefits, professional development, enjoyable work culture
Responsible for designing, creating and managing all corporate databases while performing capacity planning, tuning and updates to the system.
Oracle Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 10, 2014
Responsible for creating and maintaining appropriate documentation for databases, production support and end-users.
Responsible for creating and building Oracle databases in a virtualized environment consisting of automation and orchestrated delivery mechanisms
Responsible for installing, configuring, patching, and upgrading Oracle database and RAC DBs
Implements and enforces database security based upon best practice and regulatory policies
Maintains database architectures and strategies to ensure performance, availability, integrity and security of client databases.
Blood Sweat Tears
Designated Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington DCAugust 28, 2013
I enjoyed my overall experience. The students are Awesome!!! The Teacher are Amazing!!!
Pros
Free Professional Developments
Cons
Lunch
Great Company
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 2, 2013
Depending on which school you are assigned to, you will find your job to rewarding.
Pros
school holidays, excellent benefits, fantastic staff
Cons
extremely long work hours for a school and they do not pay overtime for the time worked
Horrible Schools--Does NOT value the student
Speech Therapist (Former Employee) –  several schoolsFebruary 26, 2013
I have worked as an SLP in six different counties over the years. Friendship was the WORSE! The administration was not supportive and didn't value the opinions or expertise of the related service staff. Parents were frequently lied to by the special ed coordinators due to them trying to protect their jobs. I sat in way too many IEP meetings were children were misdiagnosed, special ed coordinators really had no interest when I would try to advocate for the students. They only wanted to get the meetings over with. I could no longer tolerate the children not getting the services they so badly needed and left. I really feel bad for the children because they are the ones who are suffering the most.
Cons
inadequate and inexperienced administrators, negative environment
Horrible Schools--Does NOT value the student
Speech Therapist (Former Employee) –  several schoolsFebruary 26, 2013
I have worked as an SLP in six different counties over the years. Friendship was the WORSE! The administration was not supportive and didn't value the opinions or expertise of the related service staff. Parents were frequently lied to by the special ed coordinators due to them trying to protect their jobs. I sat in way too many IEP meetings were children were misdiagnosed, special ed coordinators really had no interest when I would try to advocate for the students. They only wanted to get the meetings over with. I could no longer tolerate the children not getting the services they so badly need and left.
Cons
inadequate and inexperienced administrators, negative environment
Slavery Ended in 1863
Admin (Former Employee) –  CollegiateFebruary 5, 2013
This organization is an example of why DC Residents should be ashamed they allowed charter schools to replace public schools. From the CEO on down to the local school leaders, there is an air of incompetence and unprofessional behavior that permeates the entire organization, thus rendering it impotent in the education arena.

I would never send my children to these schools, as NONE of them have EVER reached AYP, and their achievement has been poor to fair. I strongly urge you to avoid Friendship Public Charter Schools at ALL COSTS.
Unstable work environment with a lot of negative work politics
School Psychology Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 3, 2013
I was a school psychology intern at Friendship and it was a grueling experience. Many of the psychologists and interns split their time among all campuses and overtime was a requirement to get work done. There is a high turnaround rate, and I found myself taking on caseloads of several counselors/ psychologists that left Friendship around the same time frame. Many of the administrators don't seem to have the best interest of the students, and I would often see that the school psychologist's professional opinion was undervalued and over-ruled. There were a few psychologists that were well informed and worked well, but these individuals were unhappy and found other positions. A few supervisors gave a majority of their workload to interns and would take credit for the services provided, etc. I found many of the supervisors, coordinators, and clinical management team to be dishonest, and it seemed that the brown-nosers were given leadership roles despite their lack of skill, knowledge and leadership ability. Friendship was a very unstable environment and from my observation, many psychologists felt that their professional licenses were in jeopardy. As an intern, I was unpaid, but judging from many of the psychologists remarks about their salaries, the pay was not fair compensation considering the work load. I would NEVER apply for a paid position at Friendship Public Charter School. I have since worked as a school psychologist within a few school districts, and Friendship PCS was hands down the worst experience that I have encountered.
Pros
campuses were all in close proximity
Cons
unprofessional staff, high turnaround, compromising practice standards.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Friendship Public Charter Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9