Frito-Lay Employee Reviews

Found 1,847 reviews matching the search
A Once Great Company To Work At
RSR Driver (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 3, 2017
This was once a great place to work at. Work hours vary but expect to start around 3 to 4 am. your work day is most likely going to be 10 to 12 hrs a day ( closer to 12 hrs) . Management only cares about numbers, they will add on to your orders whether its needed or not. work life balance is horrible.

This place is focused on safety , unless it comes to there fleet . imagine driving in south Florida in rain with fogged up windows. Air conditioning or heater is considered a luxury.
Frito Lay has always had a high turnover rate , they fire people like there is no tomorrow.

While the pay & benefits are decent , its not commensurate with work. Pay cuts & route cuts always seem to happen to RSR's If you need a job go there , but if you have other options stay away
Pros
weekly pay check
Cons
work life balance, pay is not where it should be
Good place to work, but going downhill
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Blanc, MIJanuary 29, 2017
Frito Lay was a good place to work when I started there, and their pay and benefits were always more than fair. The job was fun and usually pretty easy. In recent years, they have been doing a lot of cutting salaries, shrinking their workforce, and demanding more from the people who have stuck around, so that's disheartening. Also, at the particular location where I worked, there is a culture being created of forcing thousands of dollars worth of extra product into every store; so, your stores are going to be furious, your stale is guaranteed to be out of control, you will not have an opportunity to qualify for bonuses, and you'll be working lots of extra hours moving product around unnecessarily.
Pros
Modern fleet, good pay, good benefits
Cons
Management takes advantage of people and stores
Decent pay, lots of hours
RSR (Current Employee) –  New York StateJanuary 20, 2017
New pay structure gets away from comission and more towards making/beating sales goals.

Tenure changes your base salary (making goal can mean making $50k a year or $70k depending on tenure) and exceeding goal allows you to exceed base salary. I always make/beat goal, but this requires a lot of time and energy. I generally work 60 hours a week for about $60k a year.

If you're single/no children it's an OK gig. If you have tenure you can sign up for easier routes and drop from 60 to 45-50 hours a week, allowing more family time, but this may take a decade. If you want to go far, sign up when you're 18 so that when you're 30 you're making good money and have time to start a family. If you sign up in your 30s or 40s then it's a tougher job.
Pros
Potential Pay
Cons
Work/Life balance
Used to be a great place
Sales District Leader (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLFebruary 23, 2017
Worked at Frito 21 years as a relief driver than an account sales route and finally a large format district manager. Pay and benefits as well as the little things we were allowed to do for employees rapidly diminished. No cook outs for the employees and no rewards or recognition for the front line who made the magic happen. Tenured managers like myself were displaced by college kids who ran a route for a month and are mystically enlightened to all facets of the business, The leadership dynamic and the caliber of the work force has declined to an embarrassing level the last 4 years.
It is hard to find people who will work a 12-14 hour day, accept that they will work all weekends and holidays, and not have any work life balance. I see a severe demise in how this company goes to business and I fear direct to store is in the very near future, eliminating the need for a sales force....or managers.
Pros
Fortune 50 company
Cons
No appreciation, stability is waning, leadership are new and inexperienced, upper management does not care.
Hard work but...enjoy dealing with the public and having industry leading products to sell?
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, NCFebruary 18, 2017
. Very active all day long completing tasks. Many people have the idea that because it is snack food, it can't be that difficult of a job but it will require much of you. Management is consumed in driving sales. Workplace culture is what you make of it.
Hardest part of job is trying to do all that is expected of you in the hours you work. Enjoyable part of the job is working with the public and having a line of products that are internationally recognized.
Pros
Good money, benefits and product line.
Cons
A lot of hours, work every holiday you are scheduled to work and stores are open for business.
Great pay. But Management is horrible and not good work life balance if you have a family.
route sales (Former Employee) –  Spooner, WINovember 8, 2016
7 years employed. Got fired for something management has encouraged other people to do. No disciplinary action in over four years. Improper training all across the board. No warning. Just let go. If you have a family and kids this isnt the place for you. Long hours. Good pay if you get on your own route and its a good route but could take years until you get the good routes. Would not recommend this place to my worse enemy. Proceed with caution.
Pros
Good pay once you have been there for a while. benefits are good. Pension plan.
Cons
Very poor management. Push you to the breaking point. Improper training.
Day at Frito Lay
GES Utility (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 2, 2017
Working for frito is okay the pay and benefits are great, but thats where it stops. Management is horrible and the appreciation of people working hard and being away from their families is not there as well. When i first got there i loved being there and working there. Over the years management has changed drastically and the morale of all the workers have went down. We had all these meeting where they claimed they listened to all the employees complaints and concerns but that was it. Little action was taken. When we would call for a union then they would get to scrambling fast to persuade us to not call for one.
Pros
Being employed free lunches on rare occasions
Cons
short breaks unappreciative of long hard worked hours
Productive place to work, nice place to learn the business of DSD
ROUTE LEAD SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 11, 2016
When I was working here I was on a Bulk route for four years and one year one Pre Pick route.

You learn the business of DSD and how products get in the stores.

Management can make and break your work environment.

I was luck when first worked there I had good management team orientated. Then the culture changed and upper management become younger and inexperience.

The hardest part of the job is to getting to the stores at 4:00 am.

The most enjoyable is getting off early and having the rest of your day.
Pros
They have benefits!!
Cons
Management is not experience.
No one wins at Frito
RSR (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 23, 2016
I've worked for several years as an RSR for Frito Lay. I've worked HARD, putting in 50-60 hour work weeks, coming in on my days off to make sure displays were set up, etc. Last week, management let us know that we are the latest victims of restructuring. Now, instead of making $60-65,000/year with commission, I've been told I can earn a whopping $16.45/hour as a "CSS" or customer support specialist, a 50% pay cut that rings in around $33,000/year. I'm in my late 50s--how am I supposed to start a new job now after giving my best years to Frito Lay? Who is going to hire someone with my experience and pay rate when they can get a young guy who doesn't expect as much?

I know $16.45 sounds like a good wage for some people, but be warned: there are no raises in this position. There is no room for advancement. It's a dead end, and after what they've done to long-time employees like me, you can bet they won't care about you. Look at something else for your own good.
Pros
What the company used to be
Cons
They will use you up and spit you out
Decent Benefits, Poor work-life balance
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Clifton Park, NYJanuary 11, 2017
Frito Lay has provided me a steady income and decent, competitive wages. Benefits are average, as with 401k options. There are some perks when working for such a large company, such as discounted cell phone plans. Compensation was much better than other places, but new pay structure complicates and lowers compensation drastically. Work and life are extremely challenging, virtually nonexistent. Expect 60 hour work weeks with start times as early as 2 am.
Pros
Pay, discounts
Cons
Work/life balance, long hours
Horrible Management
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 23, 2016
The pay and benefits are very good and the hours are definitely exceptional (12+ hrs a day) but the management is horrible and some of the most unethical managers I have ever worked for. They add to orders you create and tell the stores you are over ordering because they get commission for hitting their sales mark whereas the merchandising position gets no incentive for achieving sales numbers. Frito-Lay is one of the worst jobs I have worked for due to the awful management but the pay and benefits are decent but room for advancement is limited.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Hours
Cons
Management, Hours
Awful management
Picker/Packer (Current Employee) –  Easton, PADecember 15, 2016
Frito-Lay is a good place to work if you're a full timer. If you get hired as a part timer you will be told you'll be working 20-25 hours a week. Complete lie. If you become even somewhat decent at the job, you'll be working 40-50 hours a week. Great, right? More money, the better. But, after working more than most full time employees, you aren't receiving full time pay and no benefits at all. Management cares about none of their employees and is only worried about the numbers and their positions. Nobody in management steps up when it's needed. Not worth the stress and how hard you have to work just to get the job done.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Management, most employees.
Good Benefits, Terrible hours/work life balance. Pay is mediocre
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 19, 2017
Benefits are great, most RSRs are there for that reason only. expect to work 60hrs every week, start between 2-4am. if you do not make your plan goal each month you will loose money. base salary is not guaranteed. only if you reach 100% to plan. Which pay is low to begin with. good training, then its into the fire you go. Very demanding job, again, plan to work all the time! and you don't get a standard overtime pay, it is VROT.
Pros
Retirement, pension, other benefits
Cons
terrible work life balance, pay is dependent on your sales
Its of the more decent paying factory jobs but management and pay needs improvement.
Receiving Technician (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARSeptember 27, 2016
A everyday work at the job isn't really that bad. You'll probably actually work hard 5-6 hrs out of your day and thats on a bad day. The pay is decent but there really raises so once you get that job then that's your pay. you have to wait a time period to be able to bid for different jobs for more pay. Some jobs are better than others when it comes to work to pay ratio. The people are interesting and you'll meet some that can be good friends. Some other people you really can't trust. Management needs improvement a lot.
Job Performance
production & warehouse mechanic (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAFebruary 15, 2017
The jobs at Frito Lay were demanding, but with that comes the self pride and responsibility of being able to do your job with confidence. They ask a lot out of you and they also compensate you for all your time and effort. The pay was competitive with all other high end companies in the area. The benefits were some of the best in the industry, from vacations and personal time off necessities to all forms of training related to your line of work. There was always something to do since it was a 24-7 company, and you know your position and what to do when the time comes. There was always communication with managers and operations when anything went down, formulate a gameplan and make repairs to get it up and running again. Continuious improvement was always in the works and I was happy to be part of it. Night shift was the only hard part of the job, I understood my roll and would have to wait my turn receive a day position. I did like my nearly all of my coworkers around me, and they were some of the smartest people I've ever met. I have a lot of memories and experiences that will last a lifetime for me. Thank you for the opportunity Frito-Lay.
Pros
Steady work and pay raises.
Cons
Night shift.
Great learning experinece with great leadership.
District Sales Leader (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 29, 2017
I manage a team of 21 employees, servicing mass merchant accounts such as Walmart and Kroger. Workplace culture in the Central Gulf isn't forward moving. I've gained a tremendous amount of knowledge in reference to the CPG business, logistics and distribution.
Pros
Great compensation, management
Cons
work life balance, company culture, promotion opprotunity
Great Benefits, poor work life balance
DOT Compliance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 26, 2016
Typical day at work start route between 3:30 and 4 AM. Serivce either C-Stores (convenience stores) or large format (walmart, publix, Kroger) load, unload,recieve in store, maintain backstock in stores, rotate product, merchandise product, keep stales down, keep up to date with weekly sales in stores. Starting out you run a different route every week.
The hardest part of the job was getting used to the schedule, and knowing that the schedule changes every week until you're on permanent route.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet different people and learning the sales side of the business
Pros
Independent, health benefits, 401k
Cons
work life balance, new hire pay
Okay but no growth declining benefits
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLNovember 16, 2016
Its okay depending on the type of route you have and the region. If you do that gas station routes you willl work long hours 12 hours a day. account 18/bulk is the best probably 45-50 hours a week. Pay is disgusting compared to how much they make off you. Can never take a day off you pick your two weeks vacation a year in advance. early hours as much as 3 am. I make my salary for them in 3 weeks...i think they could do better than 3.5 percent commission.
Pros
flexible hours, work for self
Cons
no time off, long hours, pay is relatively low
Not a bad place but...
Packer (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHNovember 23, 2016
The training on the lines is awful. You only have an hour on each line then you rotate to the next. How can people learn that way? Also the long time employees set you up by telling you how bad the place is and how horrible the people are on the shift youre going to after your training and how since you are new you will be working 12 hours a day and 7 days a week mandatory. Its fast paced and very physical. Youre shown how to change different tape machines during training but dont do it for days and they get mad if you forget how it went. Its a good place for pay, benefits and product but their training process needs an overhaul bad.
Pros
Pay and product
Cons
Bad training practices
Decent Pay and worklife
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJanuary 2, 2017
The job was decent. The pay was right up there with other competitors, the benefits were great. The only thing that was a pain to deal with was managers who didn't know what they were doing and other employees who didn't feel like working. If you do the job correctly you'll be well off, just expect to pick up dead weight from brainless employees. It seems like pepsico will hire anyone that can breathe and walk, this is from the top down.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Employees and clueless managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Frito-Lay. Our community is ready to answer.