Fruit of the Loom Employee Reviews

Horrible Distribution Warehouse Job. Run Away Now!
Picker, Truck Loader/Unloader, Stocker, Crew Lead (Current Employee) –  SUMMERVILLE(JEDBURG), SCAugust 25, 2013
The management does NOT value their employees whatsoever. Everyday management expects you to make a miracle from their shortcomings to get the orders out. I have(and still am) a victim of their pay system. Everyone, raymond drivers, forklift drivers, module pickers, and retail operators are paid by what FOTL calls incentive pay, but we don't receive incentive at all. After almost a decade, I average 9.50 an hour and I work EVERY position except management and driving. I have witnessed them do some bad things with our pay. Management is HORRIBLE. Plant manager, Asst. Plant Manager, Dept. Managers can be really rude and unpleasant AND uncomfortable to speak to. I have heard some of them talk nasty and mean of some employers behind their backs. If you speak up and question this, that, or the third...you get a legacy of being a "troublemaker". Simply put I never recommend ppl here. You could do soooo much better elsewhere. Incentive pay here at Union underwear/FOTL is no good for us but great for the company. Have been told by management once that the reason they capped how much I made on a particular order was because in his words"THEY HAVE TO BE FAIR TO THE COMPANY". Made 11.50 that day, but I was told that was just too much and the plant manager,asst. Manager, my Dept. Manager and Supervisor worked to drop my pay down to 9.75 an hr. No sick time off. You get 10 vacation days per year that u use for appts and conferances. You only get paid 2x's outta the year for your vacation days. And they have a system for that. If you are late,absent, its on a rolling basis only. Oh and no  more... unemployment. They have the entire system rigged to make it seem like its a fair system, but its not. And unfortunately they let the simple joe to fend for theirselves.  less
Pros
there aren't any pros
Cons
incentive pay no home and work balance
worst place ever to work.
worker (Current Employee) –  jedburg/summerville SCJanuary 28, 2015
They dont care about there employees. They work you like dogs for 6-7 months then give you 20 hr work wks for the rest and expect you to make due wit that. They show no support to their employees. Definitly a good ole boy system here. Change people pay per hour all the time with their "incentive" program. No home life balance. The plant mangers are rude and dont even speak to you. Their HR lies to employees and is part of the problem. Plant manager is CEO of company son so he does what he wants. They wont run the heaters in the winter months because it'll ruin their budget (bonuses). No paid vacation, no care and no love. Run from this job! Theirs a reason that all the reviews for this jobsite are negative
Cons
managers and their systems.
took pride in and valued my job
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, KYDecember 9, 2014
I worked 12 hr night shifts 3 nights one week nad 4 nights the second week, overall was a great place to work and was employed there for 32 years. I always took the most pride in my job as a supervisor making sure that my shift was successful in all areas meeting goals etc. It was an honor being able to present my shift achievements to my co-management team in annual reviews etc.I had an awesome shift of assocaites that I was very proud of on a nightly basis. Fruit of the Loom offered great benefits and was continously working on making it better. It also was a safe enviroment place to work. I would have been so happy to have been able to retire from Jamestown Fruit of the Loom Plant in the future.
Not a good place to work
Assistant Designer (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYAugust 6, 2014
This company is very set in their ways. It is run by a set few "good ole boys". They always talk about wanting new innovative things but when you try and do it, they shoot it down. Most of the managers are some of the worst I have ever had. They are clueless about most things. There is a lot of nepotism along the management team. A married "power couple" control much of the decisions regarding the company. I was greatly underpaid for my job responsibilities. Most everyone that works there is very unhappy. The tools and practices to do your job are not efficient and are very behind the times. This is not a place where you want to have a career, just a job.
Pros
discounts, health insurance
Cons
everything else
Hard Work and Humid
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Vidalia, LANovember 22, 2013
The typical day is waking up at 6 A.M. and driving to the security gate. They check our badge and you would have to drive towards the plant. Once you have reached the plant entrance they have another security guard to check the badges again. After that we meet our co-workers greet them until its time to start our shift. We do a variety of different stretches and we wait until the supervisor to give us orders. I learned how manage the elevators, the assembly lines, and the merchandise. The hardest part of this job is working long hours and standing on your feet. There wasn't anything enjoyable about this job.
Pros
overtime
Cons
long hours and short breaks
Decent place to work. Top pay low. Hard on family life.
Opening Tender (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, ALNovember 13, 2013
12hr shift, after 8 hrs pay went to over time. Operated fork lift and inventoried. Full benefits.

I learned how to drive a fork lift, scissor lift and pull cat.

Had a very good night shift supervisor. And a tough day shift supervisor.

Co-workers were easy to get along with and helpful.

The hardest part of the job was the long hours and working weekends and certain holidays.

I enjoyed the people and benefits.
Pros
very good benefits. decent pay. could swap out days and not be pointed
Cons
long hrs. rotating shifts. no way to move up in job or pay.
Fotl
BOL-RECEIVING CLERK/CSR (Current Employee) –  Summerville, SCApril 15, 2015
Not allowed onto premises until 30 minutes before work time and not allowed into work area until 15 minutes prior to start time. When I make it in, I check for trailers at dock doors and check for drivers on the lot. Get load emails printed and out to workers to load trucks, check for stock and have stock moves done if needed, drop waves for pickers to pick product, update report for Admn Manager, close trailers and seal them as needed. Most enjoyable part of my job are my co-workers. Hardest part is not making 40 hours a week.
Job information
Knitter (Current Employee) –  Jamestown, KYAugust 10, 2013
A typical day at work consists of knitting yarn into fabric. You have to lift rolls of yarn and place in your machine, thread your needle and make sure the machine runs smoothly.

Management is good, as well as co-workers.

This is not an easy job and there is a lot of turnover for this position. You have to climb up and down a ladder and also operate 4 - 7 machines in a row at the same time, all while standing on concrete all day long.
Pros
provide free lunch for your birthday and sometimes for quality/safety accomplishments.
Cons
split shifts, 12 hour days
Good people to work with and for
Senior Credit Analyst (Current Employee) –  675 Hennessy Way, Bowling Green KYJanuary 11, 2016
My day is pretty crazy and hectic with our new system. I do feel however the new system has created more headaches and stress for the Credit/Collections side of the company. I didn't have plans to leave as I enjoy the company as a whole and they are good people.
I don't feel that the job we do since the change was looked at in a whole and am hoping however that it gets better on down the road.
Pros
birthday lunches, meetings to keep you informed, vacation time
Cons
no training really
Productive and fun place to work
Raymond Forklift Operator and Picker (Former Employee) –  Vidalia, LAMarch 14, 2014
The typical day at work long hours hard work but i love to work hard the drive the push makes a Good worker out of anyone. what i learned i was trained to become a picker also i learned how to drive a forklift and a Swing Reach Forklift - Raymond. The management time was some of the best i worked with they made everything much easy. The hardest part of the job would have to be learning how to drive the Swing Reach Forklift - Raymond but once you learn how its more enjoyable.
Pros
two ten minute breaks and one thirty minute break all around good place to work
Cons

Want to know more about Fruit of the Loom?

Ask a question
Company has great processes in place
Process Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCOctober 16, 2014
I wrote all Standard Operating Procedures
Trained All Associates in Process Improvement and Lean Concepts
Provided measurements for all processes
Certified Six Sigma Black Belt
Fantastic co-workers
Hardest part of my job was to try and build a culture of continuous improvement. Not enough support
Most enjoyable part was teaching and supporting all associates - they are our most important assests
Pros
state of the art conveyor system for distribution
Cons
12 hour days and weekends for 6 months out of the year
A fun and safe environment to work
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vidalia, LANovember 17, 2012
A typical day at work would consist of working in a fast-paced environment. During my working experience, I really learned how important safety was. The coworkers were very supportive of one anothers safety and worked together to carry out daily functions. I believe the hardest part of the job was leaving it to further my career. The most enjoyable part of the job was having the opportunity to show my managers how much of a great asset I could be to the company.
Pros
flexible shifts, the pay, and the people.
Cons
frequent lay-offs
Great Place to Work
Sample Technician (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYAugust 11, 2013
I've really enjoyed working at Fruit of the Loom. I learned many things about manufacturing hands on. I had wonderful coworkers that were supportive as well. The hardest part of the job was here recently, when business was not going well, a lot of people were let go to help increase profits within the company, so that resulted in my work load being doubled. It's been a very difficult transition.
Pros
free milk, great people, great benefits
Cons
very fast paced
Good company to work for.
Retail Customer Service Team Member (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYAugust 29, 2013
Sitting at your computer, talking to customers on the phone. Checking inventory for multi sales. that was my typical day. A bit stressful, only because the phone would continue to ring, or we might not of had inventory.

Most enjoyable would be lunch. We'd all get together and talk about our conversations on the phone . See who had the funniest story. There were a lot.
Pros
free clothes.
Cons
talking on the phone and hearing others conversations.
The greatest job I ever had
Graphic Designer and Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wetumpka, ALSeptember 5, 2012
This job is the best job I ever had. Great work environment, safety, good equipment and wise policies.
I gained a lot of experience in Photoshop and Illustrator as well as supervisor skills.
The management and co-workers are very nice people that treat me very good.
The hardest part of the job is that it is quite far from my home in Birmingham, Al.
We specialize on sport balls, and during football and basketball seasons we have a lot of interesting and challenging work.
Pros
interesting, good compensations, good work environment
Cons
quite far from my home
A fun a enjoyable workplace
Shipping/Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jedburg, SCNovember 14, 2014
At this job I would have to stock, ship and receive, It was a great and fun place to work. I learned that I could adapt to any kind of workplace because this was my first warehouse position. management was cool and caring. I had a great time with my co-workers and learned a lot from them. hardest part of my day was having to take a break before I finished my work load. I would just rather get it all done a be done with it. Most enjoyable time was the environment and the fun that I would have.
Long hard hours
knitter (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, KYSeptember 8, 2013
It runs you into the ground. You are constantly moving from one machine to the next, up and down ladders. I went through a pair of shoes every three months and everything I owned including my car was covered in lint. Temperatures can reach 100 degrees in the summer. A pedometer measured an average of 21 miles walked in a typical day just running to machines.
Pros
you get paid.
Cons
you have no life
EDI Development and Support using GENTRAN and Mainframe COBOL and JCL
Applications Systems Analyst Programmer (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYMarch 11, 2014
Daily work included support of EDI and new development,
Support would be trading partner maintenance and problem
resolution and also On-call support.
New development included adding new trading partners
and new programs
EDI team was 7 people including supervisor
Pros
work pace not very hectic or demanding, managers didn't put too much work on their team members, they would only give us 2 or 3 projects at a time to complete.
HUGE Difference Between a "Market" Driven Company & a "Marketing" Driven Company
Product Development (Former Employee) –  Bowling GreenNovember 16, 2013
This company has a culture of outsourcing their entire product line while letting the marketing people run the show. People who actually understand the product development and manufacturing processes that result in a quality product that consumers will be happy with have ten percent, maximum, input in business and project decisions.

The management sits in a bubble and has no clue....no wonder this company wallows in a mediocre state.
Pros
???
Cons
politics, backstabbing, "good 'ole boy" culture.
Poorly Managed plant and bad pay style.
Dryer and Compactor Operator (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARApril 9, 2013
This was a poorly managed plant with an equally poor work environment. Most of the jobs were hourly, but the harder jobs were piece work paid. The work seemed to be aligned to fail. For each fair day of work there seemed to be four poor.

The shifts were twelve hours in length working three days one week and four the next. We had every other weekend off.
Pros
paid lunches and good time off.
Cons
poorly managed and planned.