Fry's Food Stores Employee Reviews

Awful
E-Commerce Selector/Attendant (Former Employee) –  Marana, AZNovember 17, 2017
Awful store management, cannot find balance between number of employees and restricted allowable hours. Management does not have best interest of employees.
Not bad but not great
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Buckeye, AZNovember 8, 2017
Being a cashier the hours are so inconsistent as those with the most seniority get to pick their own schedule. They pick the good hours such as early morning/afternoon which leaves everyone else with late afternoon/late night hours. You are required to have open availability, yet hours are not guaranteed.
Pros
bonus checks
Cons
short breaks, lack of appreciation
Great Benefits, Zero Managment Support
MEAT DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 7, 2017
The only things that have kept me at this job are the benefits and pay. Otherwise management is only there to micromanage you, yet provide no kind of support. They lack knowledge and compassion. There is no teamwork, everyone is only concerned with themselves and rarely possess any ambition or original thought. They will ask too much of you, but not provide the resources or support you will need to be successful.
Pros
Pay, Insurance, Vacation
Cons
Poor management, lack of support, overly demanding
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Litchfield Park, AZOctober 30, 2017
Management is really horrible micromanagement talk to you poorly really harsh . I just feel like I can be a better place to work and treat each other nicer
Pros
10% cent discount
Cons
No lunch break, 2 10 minute breaks and eight hour shift
Very fun and energetic people to work with.
General Merchandise Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 30, 2017
It has been fun while it lasted but I’m ready for change. It is indeed a energetic place to work at and the other employers are what make it that way.
Depending on the store, can either be incredibly busy or pretty slow.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZOctober 29, 2017
While the one I worked at had terrible management, I have heard and seen other stores with great management and many happy employees. Fry's offers a job for those under the age of 18 and career advancement is quite possible upon reaching 18 years.
Pros
Quality workplace, can be relaxing under right circumstances.
Cons
Can be hard work, and sometimes the pay felt a little low for what you did at times, but could have just been my store.
Greedy corporate business
Fuel Center Clerk (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 28, 2017
A typical day at work involves only one attendant busting their rear-end while being stacked a heavy load to get done in an 8 hour day by yourself. You can not get anything done at work because you're constantly having to help customers, and the next day you get to work to a verbal council because you did not get anything done, all the while, you are the ONLY employee in the department. The company squeezes as much work out of one person as they can, because the harder they work one person, the higher their bonuses get. Then they turn around and lie to their employees by saying that "We Love Our Associates!" The only reason why they "Love" their associates is because their associates are their bonuses. The hardest part of the job is keeping everything cleaned and stocked up to corporate's standards. The most enjoyable parts of the job are the friends I have made there, the paychecks, and the benefits.
Pros
This is the highest paying job I have ever had in my life
Cons
This has to be the most corupted company I have ever worked for in my life
Great Staff
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Laveen, AZOctober 26, 2017
Staff was amazing. Management was lacking and never seemed to be available to help when needed. There was no review after any amount of time to speak about a raise or address any other issues one might have as an employee.
Depending on mangement and scheduling can be very stressful.
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 25, 2017
This is a good company to work for with great benefits and lots of advancement opportunities. Although, some times the managers get very caught up in numbers. So they get stressed out and make all the employees stressed out by pushing and pushing them. They sometimes don't schedule the right amount of people for each department leaving the whole store short staffed for the day.
Good place to work if you have good management.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 12, 2017
Fry's works with the union, so if you a fresh new hire you cannot chose your schedule, youre left with whatever hours were not picked. You can transfer to other departments/stores to get more hours, but you are paid minimum with almost no OT. OT is time and a half if you do manage to get it, which is nice. Culture is heavily based on which store youre at, mine is the district standard so some weeks when we have walks your under a lot of stress and scrutiny. My store also has some management issues where somedays I was not wanting to go to work. You do get really awesome benefits but you have to work a year to get them.

Basically if this is your first job, its pretty decent. And if you have the work ethic and drive you can make it a career, but no one ends up in retail because they want to in my observations.
Pros
Benefits, union
Cons
Management changes a lot, minimum with no OT
Great work place.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZOctober 11, 2017
Frys is one of the greatest work places I’ve been. You met great people always friendly and helpful. There is always something new. There is always someone there to help customers and there is always something new there you can learn and always Opportunities.
Courtesy Clerk
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZOctober 4, 2017
As a first time job, this is an excellent place to work for, and if they offered the promotion as promised, I would still be employed with this company. This place has great employees, and excellent work environment.
Very productive yet stressful
Curtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZOctober 2, 2017
I worked for frys for only a couple months. They didn't give me the hours i was promised, they lied about why i wasnt getting hours, the managers were lazy and didnt want to explain how to do certain things around the work place.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Short breaks, low communication
Fry's summary
Deli Clerk/Cashier/Liquor Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 1, 2017
I liked working for Fry's for the most part except I did not like the inconsistent scheduling. It was hard to plan anything because my schedule was always different. I worked many positions though and that was beneficial, learned a lot.
not the best place for part time workers
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 30, 2017
they really didnt care about when u were able to work they would call u in anyway. they didnt provide water for the outside workers it just wasnt fun.
Pros
it wasnt hard to work there
Cons
bad hours
Productive and fun workplace
Clicklist Associate (Former Employee) –  San Tan Valley, AZSeptember 21, 2017
i loved working for Fry's i highly recommend working for Kroger company. If i didn't move i would still work for them. they make you feel like your apart of one big family.
Productive and keeps you busy
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Surprise, AZSeptember 19, 2017
Man it does keep you busy, they make you work for your hours. Clocked in then went up from to bag and work with customers, every now and then I walk someone to the location they want to be at in the store and I go out on carts for more customers.
Poor management and work environment
Assistant Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  ArizonaSeptember 19, 2017
I worked at Fry's for 5 years as an assistant manager. Expectations were always high and vague. Especially as a manager on the front end expectations were set but following through on those expectations was very inconsistent leaving everybody in a quandary about what they were truly trying to accomplish. There was always struggle between customer service which should be their number one priority and performance. Management wanted to raise expectations and the cut hours. Improving customer service became very difficult as a result.
Pros
Paid regularly
Cons
everything else

Comment – September 21, 2017

By the way, when I left Fry's I was told they would provide a survey so I could give feedback on may years of service and the company. Apparently they were not really interested because they never contacted me!

just work and no fun time and there is no more to tell as we were told to learn so points would not be taken away
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZApril 18, 2016
A fast paced cashiner job and no time for enjoyment and focus was on us new hires to learn very quickly and the abiance was not the greatess
Pros
no pros
Cons
every 5 hours a 15 minute break
great exprenice
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 5, 2016
Fry's gave me the chance to experience a work place in many different ways. For example I had to help customers and always had to keep a positive vibe towards anyone. Witch made me realized it helped me to become a better person customers can go to and feel like they are truly being helped. I also got to experience heavy work, I had to push many carts to make sure customers had carts when the entered the store. Pushing carts was a real work out in every kind if weather. Finally I got to learn how to remember the simplest things that would go on shelves.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short breaks