FTI Consulting, Inc.

FTI Consulting, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Productive environment; fast paced, challenging
Director, Computer Forensics San Francisco (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 1, 2016
Work life balance was poor and travel was required although not as much after development of local contracts/projects progressed. No assistance provided with training at all. Employee turn-over in late 2015 began to climb. Opportunities for advancement did exist. Management was inconsistent with some support and other times leaving employees adrift with no feedback. Management pays close attention to the bottom line and business development is priority number one.
Pros
high responsibility, freedom from micro-management
Cons
work life balance and training was neglected in favor of paying projects
Place for security
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 8, 2016
FTI Consulting is a secure company where you have the opportunity to work with incredibly intelligent people. The company recognizes the challenges and works to course-correct although the management often challenges the new leadership.
Pros
Work Life Balance is amazing
Cons
Middle Management needs to be revamped
Loved the job, not the culture
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 17, 2015
I really enjoyed the technology they utilized and my responsibility. Worked with the newest .Net platform with all up to date tools. Surrounded by smart engineers.

Main issue was the building conditions we worked in. For the revenue they drove, the lack of environment/culture was the concern.
Pros
Management was snart, employees are sharp, up to date tech
Cons
Terrible working conditions...building was no good and zero culture
Good People Going Through a Transition
Sr. Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 11, 2016
You will have an opportunity to work with great people, during a rough time for FTI. You will be managed out of DC, so therefore office politics are all virtual.
Pros
Great Colleagues
Cons
Shady Upper Management
Ability to always learn something new and useful every day
Forensic and Litigation Consulting (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 17, 2015
Incredible work environment with constant upper management mentorship. Ability to develop oneself and grow. Constant contact with clients and upper management.
Pros
Working Environment
Cons
Long Hours
Wealth Management internship
Corporate Finance and Restructuring Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 28, 2016
Working in wealth management allows you to research opportunities for clients and manage existing portfolios. Co-workers vary depending what group you are in.
A good place to work if you are not big on a rah-rah culture
Director, Global Real Estate & Facilities (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 26, 2015
A typical day can be very dynamic; filled with interesting work and smart people. If you are a consultant it is a great place to work with an obvious career path. If you work for Corporate it is a bit more iffy with a career path that is a bit muddled. The Company is in flux with a new C-suite so it will be interesting to see how the culture changes
Pros
Interesting work, good pay and benefits
Cons
muddled culture borne by mergers and acquisitions
Fast pace and ever changing work enviornment
EDiscovery Consultant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 6, 2016
A typical work day involves checking company emails to ascertain whether there were any updates to the underlying protocol on which the work assignment is based. Review each document for and tag according to protocol guidelines of relevancy, specific issues, privilege, etc.
Pros
Free sodas and cheap snacks
Cons
Short breaks, limited hours
Slow and quite work environment often having to find something to do
help desk technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 27, 2015
I did not enjoy working here, and when I broke my hand they fired me. I will not recommend working here to anybody. Often had to find something to do to stay busy, only support 100 people ,but most of the work from home so you really on support around 20-30 a day.
Productive workplace
Consultant (Former Employee) –  NYJuly 7, 2015
I learned many things in my time at FTI Consulting. People were extremely friendly and willing to help, from consultants all the way through upper management.

I gained technical skills in many areas and was able to work in the industries that I preferred which was very important to me.
Pros
Employees very willing to offer help
Cons
Rigid advancement
Short Stop
Operations Engineer (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDSeptember 22, 2015
Depending on the Job that you are working, you can get pigeon holed fast.

The management is generally to busy to focus on managing.

Co workers all have different personalities to deal with which is ok.

The night time hours.

The breaks and sometimes the work if it is challenging.
Pros
Learn the responsiblities of the job.
Cons
The mall is close so the breaks can be quite enjoyable.
High-stress environment with supportive management staff
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2012
While this company requires a lot of time commitment that cuts into your work/life balance, the managing staff attempts to support you during this often high-stress environment. The potential for upward mobility is available, and rewards are fairly frequent. The co-workers are a great resource for the company moral, and help the environment tremendously.

During my tenure, I have learned about time and team management, budget analysis, eDiscovery review, using SalesForce and SharePoint for reports and task management. I have also honed my client-facing skills including preparing documentation and presentations. While these new skills lead to a promotion, I have also learned that the hardest part of my job is managing the day-to-day client expectations, that can often be overwhelming when dealing with attorneys and tight deadlines.
Poor work-life balance and no mobility
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, mdApril 13, 2015
Bad work-life balance in corporate office. Unfair treatment. No mobility for most people. Management prefers to hire from outside as opposed to promote internal candidates. High turnover. No career path. Would not recommend.
Great Work environment
Legal Document Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 10, 2016
This is a great place to work with a flexible work schedule. You are given sufficient training and support my senior consultants to provide the best service the company has to offer to its clients. Professional environment.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
parking
Casual consulting office
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 29, 2015
Not your typical, corporate office. Very casual but not overly laid-back. This office is very academic and and requires hard work and dedication from it's employees but provides appropriate compensation.
Productive workplace with relaxed atmosphere
Senior Test Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh PAAugust 5, 2015
FTI has always been a very relaxing place to work. The employees that work here are more of a 'family' than merely co-workers. It's a smaller office and therefore allows people to develop strong friendships.

Management at FTI however, is not good at communicating directives, changes, etc.
Great place to learn and apply practical skills
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 21, 2012
On a typical day at work, I'm interacting with the executive officers of small-/mid-cap public companies, advising them on their strategic communications, including what to say, how to say it, and to whom.

My colleagues are intelligent individuals, but as an organization we struggle to harness the full intellectual capital of the firm. We are a large organization (~4,000 employees) which has its advantages (resources) and disadvantages (bureaucracy, pace of change).
Pros
autonomy, variety of paths to success, lateral movement, travel opportunities
Cons
company culture
Amazing learning experience
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 10, 2014
At FTI Consulting, I supported 2 business segments, Strategic Communications and Economic Consulting. The personalities in each segment were polar opposites. Strategic communications was more of a public relations mentality and the economic consulting folks were more focused on research. It was fun to work with both personality types.

The hardest part of this job was dividing my time between the two teams when both had very high priority items that needed immediate attention. I was able to navigate this utilizing a team of other executive assistants to make sure our managers had the appropriate coverage and that the work was completed on time.

The most enjoyably part of this job was honing my document creation and editing skills. I also loved doing the PowerPoint presentations. The folks that I supporting in Economic Consulting required heavy document creation and editing. Through this experience, I became an expert at Word and PowerPoint.
Pros
work-life balance, the people were great, benefit package
Great company...
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2015
Management at FTI Consulting does their best to make each employee fee an important part of the business. The staff at FTI from top down are all hardworking and personable. All in all, a great place to work.
Good job, interesting work.
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2014
The work at FTI varies greatly from day to day. The work is interesting and you can learn a lot of different skills. Management is ok, we get good vacation and benefits but the culture could be better.