Fulton County Schools

Fulton County Schools United States Employee Reviews

Looking for a fulfilling perminent position
Substitute Teacher/ Substitute Employee (Current Employee), Atlanta surrounding areasApril 21, 2015
Pros: Seeing the students succeed is very rewarding.
Cons: Some students give up without even trying.
A typical day at work consists of exciting learning strategies that are geared towards the students success. I come into classrooms to help keep the learning process active while the regular teacher is out. My duties normally include following lesson plans, reading stories, providing feedback, and assisting students with any questions that arouse while they are working. I always keep the classroom in order and normally dont have any discipline issues. I look forward to coming to work each and everyday as a substitute teacher.
i have 8+ Years in Java Development
Sr. Java/J2EE Consultant (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 8, 2015
8+ years of IT experience in analysis, design, development and deployment of Client/Server enterprise/web, production support, n-tier distributed applications using core Java/J2EE technologies.
Current Superintendent is focused on hiring very young and inexperienced Principals and Assistant Principals to save money and gain raises for himself
Assistant Principal (Former Employee), Elementary SchoolApril 3, 2015
There is no appreciation for dedicated, committed individuals with longevity in the system. Veterans show loyalty, the current management does not.
Individuals in leadership roles with high performing records are being non-renewed.
It is not what it was when I came here.
School Technology Specialist (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 1, 2015
Pros: Lots of money being spent on facilities.
Cons: No raises or step increases in years for teachers.
In 1997, I happened to interview with an incredible principal for a brand new school that was being put together by this visionary leader. The next 4 years working for him were simply amazing. This combined with an incredible superintendent made the Fulton County Schools one of the premiere systems in the southeast. Unfortunately, through several changes in leadership and a power hungry school board, the school system seems to have lost its way. I have seen many of my best colleagues leave the profession or migrate to other systems.

The overall morale of the employees has to be at an all time low. I would be shocked if anyone could show me otherwise.
Okay Place
Transportation Supervisor (Current Employee), FairburnMarch 27, 2015
Management is great depending on your work location. Upper Management scared to address misconduct on some levels, yet hard on lower management.
A place where the teachers care about the achievement of their students
Instructional Coach - Mathematics (Current Employee), Fairburn, GAMarch 18, 2015
Pros: focus on increasing technology available to students
Cons: lack of support for teachers and instructional support staff
There was not a typical day at work. There were new things happening each day.

I learned that trust can make or break the relationship between teachers and teacher leaders.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the students that my work immediately impacted.
Fun, Exciting and Enjoyable place to work
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Roswell, GAMarch 1, 2015
Typically at the beginning of the day I read over the lesson plans. Once the bell rings I call the roll. I go over the lesson for the day. Then I get the kids started on their ten minute warm up. I walk the room to answer questions. The most enjoyable part of my day is when a child learns something new or a light bulb goes off when they discover a new technique or way to do a problem,
Enjoyed teaching Math
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Duncanville, TexasFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: summer vacations and spring break
Cons: disiplining students
I enjoyed teaching Math and collaboration with teammates.
I learned different ways of teaching to reach at risk students.
The hardest part od the job was disciplining the students.
The experience working with Special Needs was wonderful
Special Ed Paraprofessional (Current Employee), Roswell, GAFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: the great training
Working with Fulton County I have received great training for my field. The most enjoyable was helping children to achieve some of there goals on there IEP.
It's not what I thought it was going to be.
Science Teacher, Physics and Physical Science (Current Employee), Alpharetta, GAFebruary 19, 2015
Most of the day is spent helping students and going to meetings. The students are the best part, some actively want to learn while others don't care. The meetings were always a big part, they come first, not the students.
ideal for families with school age children
Food Service Worker/Cook (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: holidays weekends summers
Cons: bad management equals unhappy staff
Preparing meals and interacting with children was awesome . Overall climate in school environment with staff and those in authority was a lot to be desired. Turnover rate increased in school with low moral among staff.
About to complete the TEFL certification; Looking to go to Dubai
sub teacher (Former Employee), south fultonJanuary 20, 2015
I start the day with a fun warm-up activity that orally engages the students and sets the tone for ther entire class period: It is an a-typical Roll Call exercise that is rhymic in nature, and all students get to respond to their name using a quatrain or responding to the prompt. (you would have to see it).
As a special education, I've ;learned that student learn at theior own pace and they only learn when they are ready to receive the lesson. Therfore, it must be relevant. Following a pacing chart does not always work, because there is no 'one size fits all'.
The hardest part of the job is all of the paper work that is required in special education. I sometimes have to take the work home. Also, meeting pacing chart deadlines, when the students are not ready to move on. Last, when parents are not involved and it reflects through the child's attitude.
The most enjoyable part of teaching is when the light bulb goes off, and they get it. Or they say something so funny that you can't help not to laugh. Later through the years, you're walking down the street or in the mall, and an adult walks up to you to say, "you were my teacher and you were great!' I live for those moments.
Fun job. Casual environment
Bookkeeper/Principal's Secretary (Former Employee), Alpharetta, GAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: very close to home
Cons: was only a short term job
Lots of humor all day long made for a very productive and fun workday
taught special education
Instructional Support Teacher (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 12, 2015
I worked at Woodland High School in Eastpoint GA in 1986-87.
I worked at MD Collins High School in College Park GA from 1984-1986.
The best school system to work for
Data Entry Clerk/ Secretary (Former Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 31, 2014
Its not APS, Clayton county, Henry or Cobb. Its Fulton county and it is wonderful...
Student Centered Middle School
English Teacher (Current Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 2, 2014
Pros: summers off, long breaks
Cons: low pay, short lunches, long hours
Working as a teacher, you work for your students, as there is very little monetary gain in the profession. However, Teaching is very rewarding work. These rewards come at a hefty price. Often, I would work anywhere from 60-70 hours, arriving at school around 7 a.m and working until 6 p.m on-site and another 2-3 hours at home.

During the long days, you wear multiple hats, and as a result you gain and/or cultivate certain skills. In addition to the "teachery-skills," like grading, curriculum planning, lesson planning, behavior management, etc. you cultivate organization, account management, data collection and analysis, cross-curricular planning, presentation skills, and communication skills.

The best part of my job is being with my students and trouble-shooting a difficult passage or debating the cultural relevancy of an article. While the most difficult aspect is managing to plan and execute everything students need to be successful into a school day, when anything can happen.
Very difficult place to work.
HR - Professional Asst. III - Talent Division (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 31, 2014
Management is bias, atmosphere is extremely sterile, and co-workers are fearful of losing their jobs on a daily basis. A place where any day could be your last. I learned how not to treat employees, implement effective and efficient processes, and motivate staff through coaching and mentor activities.
productive and fun place to work with students and colleagues
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee), College Park, GAOctober 27, 2014
Pros: helping students learn way to manage in everyday life
Cons: short breaks
A typical day at work is working with my special needs students in classroom, PE and getting lunches for 10 students along with remembering their locker numbers. I have learned to multi task with a larger number of students and meeting their needs. My management and coworker were a pleasure to work with as becoming a family away from home. The hardest part of the job was not being able to meet one of my students needs because it was beyond my control. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the students were able to relax and enjoy themselves through music.
Healthy work environment with supportive coworkers and enthusiastic students.
Teacher (Former Employee), Sandy Springs, GAOctober 22, 2014
I loved the time I worked for Fulton County Schools at Riverwood High school. It was a great experience and I made life long friends and mentors.
Enjoyable working with children
Kindergarten Paraprofessional (Former Employee), College Park, GAOctober 22, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: in-service lunches
I spent my day working with a kindergarten class teaching them the alphabet and working on writing assignments. Occasionally we would do craft projects that we could learn from. For the most part I felt like a babysitter but the job became gratifying as the year came to a close. The children's progress became abundantly clear which made all the difference.

1 2 3