Fund for the Public Interest Employee Reviews in United States

Cut-throat
Field Manager & Political Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 7, 2016
Cut throat company to hire and manage political canvassers working for good non-profit . It is run on a system that flips through new employees, with no incentives from the hire ups to keep them. Lots of opportunities to climb up the ladder but often is unguided and paying less than minimum wage when divided into hourly. Promises go unkept and even employees reimbursements never arrive. Local directors are working hard and do care, but are underpaid and overworked.
Gained valuable sales and leadership
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 2, 2015
As a field manager i was responsible for managing and training employees on a day to day basis. I gained leadership experience through the management of canvassers. The hardest part of the job was training new employees and making sure they had the tools and skills they needed to succeed. The most enjoyable part of the job came when my team of canvassers had a good day in the field.
Pros
positive work environment
Cons
long hours, poor upper management
Very Relaxing and Enjoyable place to work
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 6, 2015
I love working here, the managers were very down to earth and helpful.I interect with a lot of people from different orients..
Boulder, CO - ASSISTANT CANVASS DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2015
Fund for the Public Interest is a Non-Profit Grassroots Campaigning Organization. They work with other Non-Profits such as Environment America, U.S.PIRG and a few others.
Awesome work environment
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 6, 2015
The fund has a great work environment, and everyone is always ready to make change happen. It's hard work, but the rewards are great.
productive
canvasser (Former Employee) –  los angeles,caSeptember 1, 2015
I enjoyed working there. Great friendly, positive atmosphere. Everyone working together for a greater cause. I would recommend to someone.
Great people, stressful work.
Environment North Carolina Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 12, 2015
The Fund has great potential and at times can be very rewarding work; however, the job did not come without ample amounts of stress.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 25, 2015
They knew what they were doing and how to do it well. I learned how to run a grassroots campaign. Everybody was friendly and nice.
good resume builder, but not worth sticking around for long
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 29, 2015
I'm really glad I worked with the Fund for a year. I worked on issues I cared about and gained valuable leadership experience and skills right out of undergrad which other places couldn't offer. I think this was the key addition my resume needed when I decided I wanted to go to graduate school. I was accepted everywhere I applied, and I think I have the Fund to thank for that.

Having said that, there is a reason they offer so much responsibility to so many young people. They don't pay you much, and you work ridiculously long hours. It's easy to burn out quickly, and so turnover rate is pretty high. When hired as a director or assistant director, you are asked to commit to one year. I stuck it out for the full year, but it was really tough working up to 80 hours a week. Some people stay with this company for longer and advance to higher leadership positions because they are motivated by the campaigns you work on. Good for them- I don't know where they find the energy!
I will also say that the organization doesn't seem to be open to new ideas or suggestions for how things are run. Upper management is always saying, "This is the way we've done it for years and it works."

Additionally, there are office directors who will take credit for the fundraising abilities of their staff without providing deserved recognition. There needs to be more accountability for these people, as it is frustrating to witness managers who consistently shirk responsibilities while getting ahead on the work of the people they are supposed to be leading.
Pros
awesome healthcare benefits
Cons
poor work/life balance, high turnover
Call Center Review
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 6, 2015
Typical shift included contacting a large volume of members to promote social awareness of political issues in regards to the environment and to raise funding for such political issues as the Clean Water Act and the Plastic Bag ban.
Pros
positive work environment.
Cons
limited growth potential for employees.
A great job if you have the skills to succeed in it
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 26, 2015
If you are passionate about the cause and have the social skills to compete in the industry, this is a great place to work. However, there is very little room for error and the turn-over rate is very high.
Unique workplace which is extremely unorganized
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 4, 2014
-Going door to door meeting many new people as you ask for contributions.
-Improved my people skills.
-Management was ridiculous and unorganized.
-Coworkers were friendly and supportive.
-Being dropped off in neighborhoods where no one speaks English or Spanish. Also being stranded for a few hours after a job due to poor planning.
-The most enjoyable part was the variety of people that you meet in a canvassing job.
Simple work for a good cause, but lack of consistent management
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 13, 2014
Working at the Fund for the Public Interest in Data Entry was not very difficult at all. My responsibilities were to enter donor information collected by canvassers into a secure online database, resolve any problems, such as math errors, and to confirm daily donation figures with the office director. Most of this was done on one of the office computers and with a simple calculator. On many days, completing this work could take an hour or less, leaving me more time for other things. The drawback to this being, of course, less take home pay.

There were other drawbacks, as well. There seemed to be an overall lack of organization in the office. When my employment first began, there was confusion over which of the three office computers I was allowed use for my duties, which wasn't completely resolved for about a month. There were some days when I wasn't able to start my work for at least half an hour after I showed up because the canvassers and directors were still organizing their donation slips, which should normally be finished by the time I arrive. This lack of organization seemed to turn off many newer employees, causing a very high turnover rate for canvassers, thus leading to more disorganization and confusion.

There also seemed to be a bit of a culture problem in the office. Many times I had other employees complain to me about their work, sometimes even their personal lives, while I was trying to complete my work. In my third week of employment, I overheard the two directors at the time loudly gossiping about how they hated their jobs, with one of them saying that they
  more... couldn't wait until they could quit. Though I never witnessed this myself, I heard that some canvassers would argue with people when they refused to donate, sometimes escalating to shouting at them. Whether this is true or just more gossip, I'm not sure, but either way it made the culture of the workplace much less enjoyable.

The biggest problem in my opinion, however, was the management of the office, or lack thereof. In the four months that I worked at the Fund for the Public Interest, I worked under seven different people who either were office directors, or who were filling in when an actual director was not available. There was one week where the office was completely closed down because there was no one to act as director when the person in that position suddenly. I was not contacted about this issue, and I did not find out that anything was amiss until I tried to get into the office at the start of my shift and found it locked and empty.

Though I believed that I was working towards a good cause and the shifts fit perfectly in my schedule, the disorganization, bad culture, and inconsistent management outweighed whatever good I believed to be doing, and ultimately caused me to leave.
Pros
easy work, consistent schedule, working for a good cause
Cons
disorganization, culture problems, lack of management, low pay, low hours
Good place to start
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 7, 2014
Great Place to start a career, more of a lifestyle type position, it is hard to separate life from work.
Big mistake
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 5, 2014
you work all week, work excessive hours but your paid hourly. however if you do not make any money or bring back alot of money by the end of the day..they will get rid of you.
Fftpi
Canvass Director (Former Employee) –  Chapel HillMarch 28, 2014
The hours are unreasonable, the money was never enough to get by, canvass late at night alone in strange neighborhoods in any and all weather conditions. It was awful.
Unreasonable expectations with low pay
Assistant Canvass Director (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 22, 2014
Typical office hours are 8:00 am to 6:30pm Monday through Friday and 10:00am to 4:00pm on Saturday.

Very messy office with inadequate supplies (no pens, dirty shirts, not enough clip boards) and loud music.

Co-workers do seem to be friends, which is good because there isn't much time to socialize outside of work.

Salary offered during interview process was not the same that was offered upon starting.

Job description did not match actual day-to-day duties.

They are not interested in informing you on the issues you're campaigning for; it's entirely about repeating the pre-made speech. This position is not great if you're looking to think critically.
Pros
good community
Cons
long hours, little pay, repretitive work
Very lively work environment with lots of young driven individuals
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 13, 2013
A typical day at work involved:
planning for the day's canvas (plotting and printing turf maps
training new employees
organizing crews and transportation
setting goals
quick pump up meeting before departure for canvassing
full 5 hours of door to door canvassing
back to the office for info gathering/debriefing

Overall, due to the high demand for performance, this job seemed to have a high turnover rate for employees. Observers on their first day of training are required to earn one contribution in order to get called back for a second day of work. Full time canvassers and field managers are required to make a daily quota in order to keep their position.

Very rewarding, good commision, great co-workers
Fun family style environment.
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 19, 2013
All aspects of face to face fundraising.
Managing and training teams and taking them to various locations to fund raise.
Progressive nonprofit, fun outdoor work, but not most secure job
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJuly 16, 2013
I learned a lot from my experience as a canvasser with the Fund, especially the persistence to go door-to-door for five hours a day to fundraise for important causes. It was great doing work that I felt was beneficial to society, raising money for campaigns I cared about--like banning plastic bags and battling big Ag--and working in an office full of energetic young people who shared my ideals.
The downside to the job is that its not very stable--the pay is very low unless you can fundraise above the average on a consistent basis, and the company lets go of people quickly, if they fail to meet the fundraising quota for two consecutive weeks. So it has a high turnover rate.
The best part of the job is meeting interesting people all over the place and getting to hike around neighborhoods you might not otherwise visit, while doing something to improve society.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with constant rejection from people at the door, and consistently hitting quota.
I'd recommend it to anyone, but with a caveat that it might be a temporary or in-between job.
Pros
travel, meeting tons of cool people, making a positive difference
Cons
job instability, long hours, low pay