Fund for the Public Interest Employee Reviews

Super Friendly People doing Tough, but Important Work
Field Representative / Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 17, 2017
The people at the Fund for the Public Interest are passionate, energetic, open-minded and incredibly friendly. I could not imagine better colleagues. The people we interacted with in the community, however, ranged wildly. Since we were canvassing, we were met with anything from excitement to disdain, and the job could often leave one feeling emotionally drained. Having to adhere very strictly to the script, which we practiced every day, could also be a little awkward in certain situations. Considering the place was a non-profit, the pay was pretty decent (around $11/hr), but the work was also full-time. The Fund makes a point of supporting important, worthwhile causes, so if you don't mind the physical and emotional exertion, this can be a very meaningful and wonderful job.
Pros
Independence, good cause, community interaction, great colleagues
Cons
Physically tiring, emotionally tiring
Really good place for a first job
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 2, 2017
This was the first job I've ever had, and it was a really good experience. It was nice to get to work outside, and you meet a lot of interesting people canvassing as well.
Field Mananger (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 30, 2017
Good place to work and gain experience. Environment is friendly and easy to adapt to. All around this is a good place for people to work and gain experience.
The Fund
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 7, 2017
Working for the Fund has it's ups and downs. You get to meet and work with many passionate young people, eager to make change happen, but you also don't get payed very much. The way things are run from the top are sometimes confusing, but overall it's filled with good people who want to make the world a better place.
Great Cause, everything else not so great
Assistant Canvass Director (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 1, 2017
I highly recommend people to not work here. The hours are crazy long everyday, 6 days a week. The causes are great but the work is very hard. And management seems to favor certain employees over others, especially if you're good at fundraising. Workplace culture is very hectic with high turnover. The hardest part of the job is the fundraising door to door. The most enjoyable part of the job is working for some great causes.
Not The Best
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 27, 2017
I applied to this organization, then a few days later I received a phone call from someone in Colorado. I was very interested at first... I agree to go on a conference call with several other candidates. Then that's when I read the reviews, although it was too late to back out of that conference call. Didn't like that I'd have to work late evenings and long hours a week, so I dipped.
Pros
Good cause for the community
Cons
Late shifts, work weekends, long hours on your feet, not enough pay
Horrible horrible horrible
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 7, 2017
This company is essentially a scam that underpays so horribly it is essentially using directors as slave laborers. I could work a 90 hour work week and get zero overtime, resulting in below minimum wage payment. I was so tired every day and realized the money we were raising for the non-profits was not even really benefiting the causes we told our employees and donors it was for. Possibly the worst place I have ever worked.
Good for a short while
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 31, 2017
This job is great for students who are home for summer break or are looking for a side job. It's physically laborious and the pay isn't great but it's competitive and the work environment is great.
Low Payrate, unealistic expectations, lots of walking and talking
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 24, 2017
Overall, this was not what I thought it would be...
There were long hours with no breaks, not even anywhere to use the restroom or get a drink of water! The job required lots of walking around and repeatedly knocking on random houses doors reciting the same memorized "rap" over and over again to the same people over and over again.
There were unrealistic quotas to meet (I managed to meet them). We were monitored the whole time via IPads and had to enter information into them, use them as a GPS and use them to collect peoples funds and sign them up for memberships.
The times of day we did this at were random, sometimes during other peoples dinner times etc. so I often felt rude annoying the same people over and over again.We were not able to work as a team or help each other out.
The causes we raised money for sounded good at the time. However, I have no idea what the money raised went to exactly? All I know is the main building was nice and the leaders of this organization all seemed to be earning well, while we on the other hand did not make enough to afford to live no matter how much we raised it seemed. On a positive note, it was good exercise and I made some friends. I also gained experience with technology and Sales.
Pros
Good Exercise, Made Friends, Gained Sales Experience
Cons
Low Pay for Canvassers, Bad Weather Sometimes, Rude People Sometimes
Fun and fast-paced environment
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 21, 2017
Management is efficient. Job can be very demanding and tedious. Job security is not that dependable, and there's a fast transition of newcomers and terminations.
Another great temporary job
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 17, 2017
Days were varied, interesting, and never the same day was repeated twice. Fundraising goals very unobtainable during probation period.
Terrible work for low pay; you will lose your job without even knowing why
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 28, 2016
You go through 5 days of training where they teach you to follow the script and be persistent in your requests for money. Lots of people hang up on you.

Management is kind of uptight and they'll fire you without telling you why. I was handed my final check and told I didn't need to come back, even though I'd been raising money. Co-workers are nice enough, mostly students who need a part-time job.

Hardest part of job is staying enthusiastic about reading the same scripts over and over and over again.
Pros
The other people on the phones are pretty nice.
Cons
Crummy pay, boring and repetitive work.
Great place to work with enthusiastic individuals
Field Manager/Canvasser (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJDecember 27, 2016
The atmosphere of the office is laid back and easy going, however a typical work day can be very stressful. Because of this, everyone in the office is like a family, we help each other out and focus on the campaign rather than worrying about the bad days.

Every night there is some type of social which is provides us with downtime and the ability to connect with each other.

Great place to work.
Pros
Commission
Cons
Turn over rate
You can be terminated with no explanation
Telephone Representative (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 24, 2016
Worked here very briefly. Expectations of new employees who are on the phones raising funds are ridiculously high. Their stated goal is for each person to raise $300 per four-hour shift - and considering I almost always made more than $125 a shift, I figured I was "earning my keep." After all, I was paid only $10 an hour for this tedious work, reading from a script and being hung up on by potential donors a hundred times a night.

"Learned" not to ask for a donation by letting my question go up at the end of the sentence - make it more like a statement or demand. Also "learned" to follow the script exactly and not deviate. (Managers say this has proven results.)

Some of the managers were rigid in attitude. Hardest part of the job: staying enthusiastic vocally about their environmental causes when this job has fast burn-out. Several employees who worked on the phones told me there is a very high attrition rate and that most people don't stay more than two months. It's a demanding job with lousy pay, and the managers discard employees like weeds.
Pros
Other people who work on the phones, mostly students who probably can't get other part-time work, are pleasant, there's free pizza after the Wed. night shift.
Cons
Horrible pay (you start at minimum wage), they tell you that you can earn raises if you make quota, but this seems sketchy and vague, I only met one person working on the phones who had been there as long as a year.
Fun work place with worthy goal of encouring people to participate in there civic duty.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLDecember 14, 2016
A typical day at work involved canvassing West Palm Beach to get citizens to register for voting. I learned how to engage complete stranger and also leadership skills. Management treated employees extremely well and were very encouraging. My co-workers were a very diverse group of people. I worked with all types from small business owner to college students. The hardest part of the job was the constant rejection. Most people don't like being approached by strangers, especially when you are rather large and look imposing. The most enjoyable part of the job was the independence.
Pros
The pay was pretty good.
Cons
There was a push to meet a daily quota.
Hard work, but very rewarding!
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNDecember 5, 2016
I started on as a general canvasser and then became a Field Manager, leading a group of (usually 5 or so) canvassers into nearby neighborhoods to do door-to-door canvassing. Field managers also fill out paperwork, help train new canvassers, and divide up turf maps for their crews.

I found my summer working with The Fund to be a great learning experience. I learned a lot about managing and training my team, as well as strengthening my social skills and honing my ability to canvass. It's a great job if you want to explore your city and get some exercise, I learned a lot about the metropolitan area from going into different neighborhoods. I also met many memorable people who felt strongly about environmental protection and had interesting stories to share - probably my favorite part of the job.

It's definitely a job where you get out of it what you put in. If you are willing to work hard, strive to succeed, and overcome your difficulties, it's very rewarding. The directors always were able to answer my questions and give me tips on canvassing. It's great to be able to look at what your team has accomplished and know that the money they raised is going to make a difference.
Pros
friendly and fun office environment, meeting passionate activists and community members, pushes you to set goals and succeed
Cons
canvassing can be physically demanding, need to be able to stay positive
Canvassing for various non profit organizations like masspirg environment Massachusetts and toxics action center.
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 21, 2016
It's a great job for individuals who are skilled at talking to others. You get to be outside for shifts and walk around. And it is comission based, a huge plus for me.
Wonderful people and great projects
Feild Manager/ Community Organizer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 18, 2016
I enjoyed working for the Fund. Upper management is wonderful. My only complaint is that since we did not have the staff to work through the winter our office shut down in October. But when the office opens back up I will definitely consider going back to work for them. My position was as a field manager. Compared to other similar positions Ive had with other organizations the Fund paid the best. I also found working for the Fund to be less stressful then working for similar organizations.
Pros
fair pay, positive work enviornment
Cons
did not run year round
Long days, fun crews
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTMay 31, 2016
I enjoyed the people that I worked with, but the hours made it hard to have a life outside of the job. The causes were important, so if you cared enough about those it was sometimes enough to get you through the day.
Cut-throat
Field Manager & Political Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 7, 2016
Cut throat company to hire and manage political canvassers working for good non-profit . It is run on a system that flips through new employees, with no incentives from the hire ups to keep them. Lots of opportunities to climb up the ladder but often is unguided and paying less than minimum wage when divided into hourly. Promises go unkept and even employees reimbursements never arrive. Local directors are working hard and do care, but are underpaid and overworked.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fund for the Public Interest. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9