Fund for the Public Interest

Fund for the Public Interest Employer Reviews

FFTPI
Canvass Director (Former Employee), Chapel HillMarch 28, 2014
The hours are unreasonable, the money was never enough to get by, canvass late at night alone in strange neighborhoods in any and all weather conditions. It was awful.
Unreasonable expectations with low pay
Assistant Canvass Director (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: good community
Cons: long hours, little pay, repretitive work
Typical office hours are 8:00 am to 6:30pm Monday through Friday and 10:00am to 4:00pm on Saturday.

Very messy office with inadequate supplies (no pens, dirty shirts, not enough clip boards) and loud music.

Co-workers do seem to be friends, which is good because there isn't much time to socialize outside of work.

Salary offered during interview process – more... was not the same that was offered upon starting.

Job description did not match actual day-to-day duties.

They are not interested in informing you on the issues you're campaigning for; it's entirely about repeating the pre-made speech. This position is not great if you're looking to think critically. – less
Very lively work environment with lots of young driven individuals
Field Manager (Former Employee), Ann Arbor, MIDecember 13, 2013
A typical day at work involved:
planning for the day's canvas (plotting and printing turf maps
training new employees
organizing crews and transportation
setting goals
quick pump up meeting before departure for canvassing
full 5 hours of door to door canvassing
back to the office for info gathering/debriefing

Overall, due to the high demand for performance, – more... this job seemed to have a high turnover rate for employees. Observers on their first day of training are required to earn one contribution in order to get called back for a second day of work. Full time canvassers and field managers are required to make a daily quota in order to keep their position.

Very rewarding, good commision, great co-workers – less
Fun family style environment.
Field Manager (Former Employee), Tempe, AZSeptember 19, 2013
All aspects of face to face fundraising.
Managing and training teams and taking them to various locations to fund raise.
Progressive nonprofit, fun outdoor work, but not most secure job
Field Manager (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAJuly 16, 2013
Pros: travel, meeting tons of cool people, making a positive difference
Cons: job instability, long hours, low pay
I learned a lot from my experience as a canvasser with the Fund, especially the persistence to go door-to-door for five hours a day to fundraise for important causes. It was great doing work that I felt was beneficial to society, raising money for campaigns I cared about--like banning plastic bags and battling big Ag--and working in an office full of – more... energetic young people who shared my ideals.
The downside to the job is that its not very stable--the pay is very low unless you can fundraise above the average on a consistent basis, and the company lets go of people quickly, if they fail to meet the fundraising quota for two consecutive weeks. So it has a high turnover rate.
The best part of the job is meeting interesting people all over the place and getting to hike around neighborhoods you might not otherwise visit, while doing something to improve society.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with constant rejection from people at the door, and consistently hitting quota.
I'd recommend it to anyone, but with a caveat that it might be a temporary or in-between job. – less
Canvasser
Canvasser (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 2, 2013
The main duties of this job were to fundraise money for an environmental campaign and raise awareness about environmental issues in the community. The most enjoyable part of this job was to interact with people and support an environmental cause. The hardest part of the job was walking during the Summer season.
Demoralizing
Assistant Director (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 25, 2013
Pros: meeting like minded people
Cons: low pay, unrealistic hours, horrible management
Seems great at first. Fun people, working for a cause you believe in, feeling like you are making a change. However, if you pursue a Director position, expect to work 70-80 hours a week for less than minimum wage (you will be given a salary, a convenient way to cover the criminal pay you will receive.) Don't get me wrong, the recruitment model they – more... have is so effective (that is, if they like you) that you will have a blast and probably not realize how much of yourself you have poured into a company that does not care about you at all until it is too late.
Their models are ineffective and outdated, they are shrouded in a veil of secrecy (you will be lucky if you can walk away from your first day with any sort of knowledge about what the company actually does), and they have no regard for their employees.
Turnaround is extremely high, as a canvasser only about 10% make it past 6 weeks, average time for a director is 2-3 months (again, if they like you this will be longer).
The bottom line is this company is dehumanizing, demoralizing, and will inevitably squash any activism or passion young people might have.
Run, don't walk away from the Fund. – less
Productive, fun
Canvasser (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMApril 10, 2013
Pros: meet lots of people, good source of exercise, maintain quota(keeps high standards), great work!
Cons: weather doesn't necessarily permit, maintain quota(not always easy)
This job is a great way to meet new people, travel and even advance if you desire! You go door to door for nonprofit, nonpartisan activist groups such as; Environment New Mexico, NMPIRG, and The Human Rights Campaign. You learn something new everyday! It can be frustrating at times but very rewarding. I loved this job and I'm sad I don't work there – more... anymore. However, I moved to Colorado Springs and I'm looking for more work! – less
Great people but prepared to never have free time. Ever.
Assistant Canvass Director (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 7, 2013
Pros: good cause, great people
Cons: horrible working conditions, bad pay
The Fund is the fundraising branch of a network of organizations that include the PIRGs and Environment [state] (ex: Environment California). They function year round but their biggest push is in the summer when they can hire a team of college students to go door-to-door and stand on street corners asking people to contribute to whatever the cause of – more... the moment may be. Those jobs aren't that bad if you can handle the required fundraising because these canvassers are paid hourly + commission and work roughly 40 hours/week, but definitely steer clear of the Director positions. They hire recent college grads to run the canvassing offices around the country and then proceed to work them into the ground and burn out any progressive spirit they ever had. Directors are expected to pay for themselves, so on their relatively meager salaries they have to work 70-80 hours/week running the office in the mornings and then canvassing with their staff in the evenings. They also work on a different commission structure so most directors make less money than their staff. I fully support their causes and values, but the way they treat their Directors is appalling. – less
High
fundraiser (Former Employee), Denver, COFebruary 3, 2013
This is a great company to work for. The co-workers and management are some of the best people I've ever met in a work environment. The hourly pay is great and there's also commission. Your advancement just depends on how well you do your job.
Hardworking Environment for a Good Cause
Field Manager (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 30, 2012
Pros: free wednesday lunch, camaraderie, sense of accomplishment
Cons: long hours
Long & Tough work days, but rewarding and fun environment. People are your co-workers first, but your friends as a close second. Long hours for management without much more compensation, but the goals achieved and social issues addressed made it worth the extra time.
Great stepping stone.
Asst. Director (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAAugust 20, 2012
Pros: meeting amazing people.
Cons: the 90 hour weeks.
It gave me training in management, leadership and hiring. Co-workers were fun engaging and resilient.
Takes dedication
Community Organizer (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 23, 2012
Pros: great for politically minded college students during summer break
Cons: short-term and demanding
Each day canvassers are expected to talk to 80-120 people, raise public awareness, and collect public monetary contributions for the Fund. It's a hard job, and it takes dedication, resolve, and belief in what you're doing. The management was great, and the people were amazing, but it can be difficult to keep up with the demands.
Highly motivating work environment driven toward social change movements
Assistant Director (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCJuly 17, 2012
Pros: heavy involvement in the campaigns, good work environment, high energy and motivation from everyone on staff
Cons: 60 hour work week, very time consuming, leaves little room for personal life, low salary for extensive work
Typical day includes confirming observers and interviewees for the day, training new staff throughout the entire day, making daily announcements on progress of our campaigns, as well as continuously recruiting new staff.

Learned a large amount about campaign organizing and about the specific campaign issues relative to the location I was in. Advanced – more... my multi-tasking and time management skills.

Very friendly work environment with people from all different backgrounds who all have different passions for environmental, human rights, and social justice issues.

Hardest part of the job was time management and keeping track of everyone that comes in and out of the office. Holding people to office standards was also difficult after developing friendships with those on staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that the fundraising and campaign work we are doing is actually making a difference on all these issues. We get to see the progress being made which is very rewarding. – less
Fun workplace and a great way to meet people.
Field Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 29, 2012
A typical day at the Fund for the Public Interest involved going out to random locations and greeting people on the street while attempting to flag them down. Once someone was flagged down, I would tell them about and answer any questions they may have about the issues the company was working on in hopes of getting the individual involved. As a manager, – more... I would train new individuals on procedures and teach them how to fill out paperwork. Co-workers were easy to get along with as it takes a certain type of person to be able to handle the position. One must be out-going and have a strong work ethic and the ability to be flexible during stressful situations or one was likely to be relieved of his or her position. The hardest part of the job was maintaining the quota, especially when the weather was bad as people are less apt to stop and talk. However, when people would stop and talk to you and want to get involved I felt a sense of accomplishment in completing my daily goal, which was by far the best part of the job. – less
Street Canvassing Is Overlooked Often
Street Canvasser (Former Employee), Boston, MassachusettsDecember 13, 2011
Pros: flexible pay, gain contractor experience, help environment
Cons: inconsistent pay, horrible management
I must say that this experience was physically, mentally, and financially taxing...to pursue. No one should ever be subject to work outdoors to make some extra bucks. I think that's employee cruelty even. And to do it for minimum wage. These places are often revolving doors, which makes me question my own sanity for pursuing it, even as a last resort.
Productive and fun
Canvasser and Field Manager (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 30, 2013
I enjoyed working to fund raise for important causes and educating the general public about important contemporary issues.