Furman University Employee Reviews

Educational and exciting environment
RESEARCHER (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 14, 2017
Exciting and fun job to have for a summer while fulfilling educational requirements for a degree. I learned a lot of skills that I was able to take with me to other jobs.
Fun, Helpful, and Inclusive - An Admissions Office like no other
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 18, 2017
Typical Day at work:
1. Weekly meetings to discuss upcoming events, personal updates, as well as updates for professional initiatives
2. Maintaining a calendar through outlook is essential
3. Providing timely communication is also essential
4. Interacting with prospective students, families, and other campus guests.
5. Communicating with other members of the office. Helping co-workers when/ where it is necessary.
What I learned:
Furman truly takes care for its employees. They have an extensive operation that strives to promote diversity, higher education, undergraduate research, and student and alumni pride.
Management:
Senior staff members and your co-workers within your department always want newer employees to be comfortable and succeed. Never hesitate to ask questions!
Workplace Culture:
Work ethic is strong across the boards. Everyone believes in working hard. However, taking the time to relax and have fun is critical to everyone's agenda as well.
Hardest Part:
Methodology of yielding students.
Most Enjoyable:
Traveling for 2 months of the admission season across the country and sometimes the world.
Pros
free lunches, free swag, inviting office, development of many skills
Cons
Saturday events, difficult to advance
Sometimes fun but overall stressful work environment.
Video Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Travelers Rst, SCApril 13, 2017
I enjoyed my time at Furman University. I had the chance to meet a lot of great people who were nice and very pleasant. I would say thought that I did not always enjoy my time there with stress from my close co workers. But overall I am thankful for the opportunity.
Productive and creative workplace
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCApril 12, 2017
Good inter-employee relations, benefits, and networking opportunities. I enjoyed the work environment which was relaxed but productive. Supervisor was very supportive and encouraged personal career through the position.
Pros
Access to gym
Great work place
Security/Event Staff (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 15, 2017
Working under the management at the campus was exciting, hardest part of job was standing and walking for 6+ hours at at time, enjoyable part would be the people you work with and conversations you would produce with the public.
Pros
sometimes free lunches, long breaks
Cons
work no matter what the weather is like, long hours on your feet
Great Internship opportunity with room to grow and learn
Event Planning Internship (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCOctober 25, 2016
it was a good place to start out with an internship. You learn a lot during your time there. The management is good, as well as co-workers
Great Place to Learn
Student (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SC 29617October 8, 2016
Great place to learn, productive learning environments, set each of their students up for success, provide many opportunities for internships, promote diversity and cultural awareness
Research Job
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 5, 2016
It is a good University with friendly co-workers and systematic managements. My topic of research was " Synthesis and Characterization of DNA encapsulated Ag clusters." It is a highly important field of research. It has versatile applications.
Great and rewarding place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJuly 14, 2016
I had the privilege of working at Furman University for almost 7 years. In order to be successful, I had to wear many hats at all times.
The hardest part of the job was the work load increased every year but it was not in their budget to hire more employees.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with and helping wonderful students and their parents.
Pros
Beautiful place to work, decent benefits, nice co-workers, great students
Cons
Not much room for advancement and salary was below what other colleges pay
Great
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 27, 2016
Work was easy very laid back events are fun to work people are friendly no weekend and perfect schedule 5am to 1:30pm perfect!
Pros
hours and no weekends
Cons
pay could be better
Rewarding work environment with great work/life balance!
Registered Nurse - PRN (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 21, 2016
I have the best supervisor that I have ever worked for and thoroughly enjoy working with the college students there! There is a lot of autonomy and self-direction with strong documentation skills required. This position has helped me grow and has further strengthened my assessment, critical thinking, and documentation skills. I am blessed to be part of such a wonderful work family!
Pros
flexibility, beautiful campus
Cons
lack of opportunity for full-time work and benefits
Strength and Conditioning Intern
Strength and Conditioning Intern (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 2, 2016
• Observed the specialized role of a strength and conditioning coach and their everyday routine
• Coordinated with various sport coaches (Basketball, Football, and Softball) to build plans to reach goals
• Learn training techniques that will best suit your coaching style and allotted time
• Studied the impact nutrition has on the body and its importance to the role of athletic performance
• Consulted with various types of athletes (Football and Basketball)
Focused, mission-oriented university dedicated to excellence
Special Asst. to the President-Communications (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 8, 2016
Fast-paced and collegial, innovative and ambitious, Furman is a top-tier university with a commitment to civic engagement that goes far beyond checking-off-the-box service and into true collaboration with the broader community as a learning laboratory.
Councelor/Teaching Staff
Counselor/Instructor Bridges to a Brighter Future (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCOctober 26, 2015
To care for the student's needs and encourage to meet their expectations. The job was long hours and very few hours of sleep. It required strategic lesson planning any daily meetings to stay consistent with our regulations, expectations, and daily assessments.
Furman is a pretty good place
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 26, 2015
I enjoyed it there. Everyone is very friendly, just too slow for me at the time. I worked for the Police Department, and the Chief is awesome, and everyone there is extremely helpful. I really enjoyed the people and the atmosphere.
Great workplace and helped me to learn a lot about the art world
Assistant to the Art Director (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 20, 2015
I learned how to assist the art director in everyday office needs and worked with many incredible people who I loved working with. I loved learning about how to run an office on a daily basis.
Head Golf Professional (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 16, 2015
Rewarding work environment with great benefits. Typical workday is 8-12 hours. Skills I learned on the job was dealing with the general public as well as improving my customer service skills. University management has an open door policy and encourage the staff to make decisions on their own. Co-workers have the same work ethic and are reliable. The hardest part of the job is the time away from the family. I really enjoy interacting with the customers.
Pros
Work place, multi-tasking, customers
Cons
Hours away from family
Assistant Football Coach
Assistant Football Coach (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 16, 2015
Scouted opponents, created tendencies, recruiting, evaluating, coached, involved with the operational side of a program as well.
Pros
Work Atmosphere
Cons
Time away from family
Marketing and Public Relations (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 21, 2015
Enjoyable atmosphere

Work place challenging but rewarding.
Fun and upbeat, but no opportunites for advancement
Furman Library Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJuly 3, 2014
I worked as a student employee, and I loved my job from day one. The staff was wonderful and my employers were fun, engaging, and genuinely showed an interest in me and my well-being. Hours aren't great due to the large number of staff though, and the pay raise system doesn't reward you much at all for continued employment.
Pros
Great employers, fun staff
Cons
Small raises, not many hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Furman University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5