Futaba Indiana of America Employee Reviews

Great pay, no life outside of work
Automotive Factory (Former Employee) –  Vincennes, INJuly 28, 2017
After being hired on with blue shift, pay goes up to $13.00 an hour, $13.50 for gold shift. Some of the work is easy, some of it is difficult. Decent people to work with. But working 12 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week gets old fast, not the kind of job you want if you like family time.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, nice people
Cons
No life outside of work, bad management
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Vincennes, INMarch 27, 2017
FIA wasn't to bad of a factory. The only problem was low man power, long hours and working 6-7 days a week for months. For people with families it made for very difficult.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Low man power
productive/fast paced environment
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Vincennes, INNovember 5, 2016
I loved working in the fast paced environment. It ended up being hard on my legs standing on the concrete for 14 hours a day. The plant was clean and it felt like we were all family since we spent so much time together. I would work there again if I could stand on the floor for long hours again. I was a team leader so standing on a mat just wasn't a possibility.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
14 Hour days
Production worker
production woker (Former Employee) –  Vincennes, INOctober 4, 2016
12 hour nights with no fans running around in a 5 foot by 5 foot cell with no air flow. I absolutely hated it once I was moved into a cell and had no fan.
challenging
Logistics (Former Employee) –  Vincennes, INJanuary 12, 2016
learned to work in a fast paced environment. learned how to manage time to maintain a zero down time production day. Constantly had to adapt to meet production.
Pros
hours
Cons
wages
Logistics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vincennes, INJuly 20, 2015
Futaba has help me grow as a professional and supported my family for the last 8 years. Great people and benefits. The only down side is the excessive amount of overtime.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Excess Overtime
Logistics
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vincennes, INMay 25, 2015
Hired as a temp to move car parts. Would pick up car parts and drop them off to get unloaded to assigned areas. Typical day I would just drive around a pick up and drop off car parts.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Standing all the time
Overall not a bad place to work.
QC Suprv/Measurement Specialist/Production T/M (Former Employee) –  Vincennes, INOctober 15, 2014
You work a lot of hours and not much room for advancement. Due to the type of production work you get very dirty and hot.
Pros
People are hard working in general.
Cons
Most jobs require repetitve motion and standing in one place for 12 hours.
Good pay with a real job, consitant, best paying factory job I know of.
Production (Former Employee) –  Vincennes, INAugust 9, 2014
A typical day at work depends on the shift you're on and department.

Day shift (blue shift) has AC running, better treated associates by management, usually less hours, it's harder to get food for lunch as it's extremely busy during lunch time, and you're able to get out early for holidays, but overtime is optional (saturday and sunday). Quality will not fight you, and if there's problems with a part they'll do their job of standing there checking the part rather than forcing their work onto other people because management will not allow that.

Night shift (gold shift) AC is turned off, not treated as well by management, or other departments, it's easier to get food during lunch as there's usually no one on the streets, usually have to work weekends, and overtime weekends is usually required, but pay is slightly better. Quality will fight production about quality checking bad parts (meaning more work for production) even though it's not in the work order, and is technically required by all managers to be signed off on, but night shift no one follows their work orders, and quality forces their work onto production without opposition, which is bad because they get early nights, but production does not.

General typical day is working a cell that your team leader believes you're good at, but realistically everyone works at about the same pace. Some associates put in free labor, or work through breaks to get ahead, and it seems like a constant competition.

What I learned, how to operate cells, inspect welds, drive a forklift, and I can visually tell you if a weld will
  more... hold, or not.

Management is really poor (not all just a few mostly group leaders) on mostly nights, but day shift is much better. Most managers are only interested in making themselves look good by making people under them feel worthless (to their bosses, but will smile to peoples faces), or pretend as if a production worker isn't doing a good job only to secure their own advancement into maintenance, or other departments. They make one guy an enemy only to bond with others. They just try to justify their job of basically doing nothing productive.

The co workers they're generally good people, but once overtime is involved people will sacrifice anyone in order to get a day off. I noticed the people with the easiest jobs complain more, but also work more hours.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with some people who are persistent at making the job difficult. Those people tend to be promoted, and stir up trouble. Quality they are persistent at over exerting their authority, which is annoying at times, but attempt to add additional time consuming tasks to the work order, which anything abnormal is supposed to be their job. Then after quality adds more tasks people stand around, and wonder why production rates have dropped. Dealing with production bosses, team leaders, group leaders, or sometimes supervisors, and above who only are friendly with maintenance because they want a position in maintenance, which is extremely annoying especially when you're doing the real work, but someone else enjoys the fruits of your labor.

The best part of the job is obviously the pay check. Also, seeing people make mistakes. Tugger drivers wrecking, robots crashing, things catching on fire, people fighting about whos job is what, things randomly breaking apart, maintenance installing equipment wrong then blaming the operator or denying it, just the utter and total chaos that randomly happens.

Some of my most memorable experiences.
One of my most memorable experiences was seeing three different group leaders (all night shift and all promoted to maintenance, but don't even know basic maintenance) three different times bypass a safety lock then enter a cell, turned it on, and claimed the cell magically came on. Had a plant wide meeting because the managers weren't aware the group leaders had done that.

Another experience once I was falsely accused of running a bad part by a supervisor (she was later promoted) a group leader (later promoted to maintenance) and team leader. Later they discovered I didn't even make that part (shows how ignorant they are), but threatened to fire me before even making any kind of investigation.

Another experience I had a supervisor causally walk by my faulted cell then keyed my cell and caused a major robot crash over 12 hours of downtime she (the same supervisor that was promoted no less) then blamed me, and said I had keyed the cell. Maintenance of course agreed even though they weren't present, but I didn't really care just thought it was funny, and I didn't key it. She even expressed how important it is for only a team leader or above to key a cell and no one else is allowed to or if they get caught they'll be fired.

Another memorable experience I seen this maintenance team leader work on the wrong side of the cell for 20 minutes straight without realizing he was on the wrong side (night shift) he had worked there for years (was also promoted).

It's a good paying job. If you can pass the testing, and make it to the interview they'll give you a job, which is more than what most places do. There's tons of headache to put up with, but it pays the bills.
Pros
Great pay, get what you work for, consistant, they actually hire people.
Cons
12hrs a day 6 days a week, Toxic cancer causing poorly ventilated fumes, it gets hot especially 2nd shift the ac (production floor ac) is turned off, and no fans in most places.
very fast paced enviroment, LONG hours hardly NO time away from work
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Vincennes, INOctober 31, 2013
I have learned a great deal while working there however the work schedules are very harsh, leaving very little time to be spent with family and loved ones. Every weekend is a "mandatory weekend" and injuries go unnoticed there is very little or no concern for the workers. some very dedicated people and VERY hard workers there but overall the hours weigh heavy on everyone. upper management is 50/50 some that care and some that use their positions in the wrong manner.
Pros
plenty of work and hours
Cons
the hours, you will spend more time at work then anywhere but the grave
A good job.
Logistics - Towmotor Operator (Former Employee) –  Vincennes, INJuly 30, 2013
If you don't mind working 12 hours a day 6 days a week its a great job.
Pros
decent pay, no shortage of hours
Cons
don't have time for a personal life
fast paced
logistic (Former Employee) –  Vincennes, INJuly 26, 2012
get to work, did our stretches, then on to loading carts and cells, very fast paced, loved it, i learned how to drive a forklift, a tugger. people were great, hard work, you earn your money and thats what i like,
Pros
good pay and beneifits
One of the better jobs in town and long twelve hour days. Always
Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  Vincennes, IndianaDecember 17, 2011
Overall our department seems to have a constant struggle with the maintenance department over product quality concerns such as machine upkeep that produce the parts and a struggle with the production department over operator knowledge and training levels, outflow of bad parts, and a general lack of commitment to product quality.

These problems can be caused by several reasons, but the first is accountability. Just as kids throwing a fit in the store, it happens because parents allow it to happen. When senior managers allow their subordinates to vie for attention, power, and resources, it usually ends with the haves and the have-nots. This lowers the level of commitment and effort among those looking on because it’s not right or efficient, but it is mentally draining to compete in a game you can never hope to win. Trying to compete with the teacher’s pet, as it were, is a lose-lose proposition.

Secondly, constant strife and bickering is just an outward representation of the lack of boundaries outwardly, and a lack of respect for coworkers inwardly. Oftentimes when departments are unable to work together effectively, it is usually just a symptom of a power struggle at the department head level. This represents itself in low trust levels among the members of each department where each has heard the behind-the-scenes bashing of the other department and is unable work together effectively on the floor. In other words, hidden conflict at the department head level is manifesting itself among intro-departmental trust exchanges at lower levels. This lack of cooperation drains resources,
  more... cuts innovation (by taxing mental energy that could be used to foster innovation instead of how to get someone to do their job), and is the antithesis to unity.

Third, due to the fact that this behavior is accepted and allowed to go one, by not making anyone accountable, and intro-departmental cooperation is discouraged, these factors combine to create a sort of paralysis to change the status quo. Work becomes a delicate balancing act in which one cares about ones job, but not caring enough to cause conflicts.

Lastly, there is no incentive to change. Lack of accountability, intro-departmental bickering, and keeping the status quo remain permanent fixtures in failing companies because they are allowed to. Until some event that forces change or upsets participants enough to change on their own, this lack of unity, innovation, and cohesiveness will continue. Incentivizing accountability would eliminate the chaotic atmosphere that is prevalent in dysfunctional organizations. Changing departmental formats or reorganizing how departments are made up (i.e. into teams or cells) would eliminate the fiefdom mentality and force intro-departmental cooperation.

In conclusion, the attitudes that prevail in any organization start at the top, but requires consistent and constant cooperation among upper managers. Unless effort is put forth by management to pursue and rectify the behavior discussed above, the company culture will suffer manifesting itself in stifling innovation resulting in an exodus of human capital which will affect the bottom line.
Pros
mandatory 12 hour days
Cons
mandatory 12 hour days