G&K Services Employee Reviews in United States

what should be fun and safe
pretty good (Former Employee) –  general labor warehouseFebruary 18, 2015
I am a very hard dedicated work I love to work myself in a good setting where everything is clean and safe and the co workers do not mind pulling a part of the load to make the work and buy me a better place to work
Pros
that's good
Cons
take your time and be efficient
Do Not Apply For A Job Here
TSR (Former Employee) –  WisconsinOctober 17, 2014
Ten year is less than than a year. Micro managed by direction and no assistance. In your enitial training they even discuss the high turnover rate in the company. Local sales manager needs to "live" the companies core values and help develop people.
Pros
nice co-workers while they last...
Cons
sales manager does not invest time and energy with his staff, learn to coach!!!
Busy workplace
A/R Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marcy, NYJune 4, 2014
Each day at work, I would pull account balances based on delivery dates and call customers with past dues on their account. I would retrieve and process credit card payments for posting to accounts. I compiled data to hold weekly A/R meetings with the 2 branched that I represented. I learned about aging cycles and month end procedures. I learned the effects of accounts receivable on our corporate reserve.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
no advancement opportunities at my location
Basic factory work.
Floor worker (Former Employee) –  Rockford ilApril 27, 2014
Everyday was the same with no change day to day. I learned to watch for detail and make sure everything was where it should be. Management was not present unless it was a meeting. The co-workers made the job better than what it really was. The hardest part of my job was working with used towels and clothes from the costumers. I have a weaker stomach, so the smells got to me. The best part of the day was having some laughs with the co-workers.
Room for advancement if you work hard to earn it. Would not recommend to anyone not willing to work 60+ hours on a regular basis
Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 2, 2014
G&K is a stable company with room to grow your career, especially if you are willing to re locate and get in with the right people. In management the work life balance is almost non existent as you will work 12- 14 hrs a day and still not have all the days work done. The management style is changing to more of an intimidation approach and not many people feel secure in their jobs.
Pros
off on weekends and major holidays.
Cons
long hours, intimidation style of upper management, upper management always raising customer's pricing which creates alot of problems.
A very good company to work for
Quality Assurance Auditor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 3, 2015
A laid back but business environment, always busy. The managers were involved and there for you when needed. My co-workers and I are very close and still keep in touch. I enjoyed working for G&K Services.
Pros
great place to work
Worst job experience ever!!!
General Labor/Emblem Wall (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 12, 2014
The hours would change on a daily basis. There was no communication whatsoever. They gave out gift cards around the holidays and deducted it from our checks. I went to the doctor and found out the insurance was no good. I made $8.50 and hour as an experienced production worker (who can live off that in Atlanta). People would not train me because they were so worried about how I was paying for what I drive. I have a lawsuit based on discrimination against them for why I was fired (after 11 weeks). Run from this employer!!!
Pros
free pizza twice
Cons
workplace drama, terrible compensation, benefits were no good.
Long hours and poor management
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJanuary 28, 2014
I would go in extremely early and get the day started by loading the truck with what I needed for the day. Work for however long it took to get the route over with, which was usually around 5 or 6. Extremely long hours about 11 or 12 hour days. Management always expected more than what you were giving. A lot of drama each day in the office. Good pay and benefits but that was about it.
Pros
compensation and benefits
Cons
long hours and management
Productive, team-oriented environment
General Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GasDecember 17, 2013
Very productive workplace with co-workers that work together as a team to expedite orders quickly and efficiently. I was cross-trained to operate sewing machines, audit garments, and ship. My supervisor encourages suggestions for improvement and implements many ideas to improve work performance. The hardest part of the job would be using techniques that slows the process of the workflow which isn't productive for a person who is trying to reach their goal for production. The most enjoyable part of the job is working in other positions.
Pros
paid holidays off
Cons
short breaks, not many advancement opportunities
Wants to be like competitors, but will never be
Major Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Justice, ILDecember 10, 2013
This company competes with Cintas and Aramark, and other garment cleaning services. They try to sell specialty services, but at the end of the day... it is a uniform company and customers recognize this core business before any attempts to add specialized solutions. This is a good place to work if you are looking to learn some guerrilla sales techniques of prospecting. There was high turn-over.
Pros
good for young sales reps to learn prospecting skills
Cons
high turn-over. wants to be like competitors
productive workplace with great employees
building overhead /shuttle driver (Current Employee) –  charlotte ncJuly 6, 2013
g&k is a great place to work in my opinion I work in the plant I do a number of things drive the shuttle,operate the matt rolling machine,soil department ,and building overhead and ive only been there for 4 months yea I hear people complain all the time but you will have that anywhere you go im glad to have this job its easy I mean everything is easy to do here and the best part is I have every weekend off all these people that wine and complain should be glad they have a job
Pros
great people, weekends off, nonstressful enviroment
Used to be a really great place to work for
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXJune 17, 2013
Get to work at 4 a.m., load truck with what was needed for the day and run the route. I learned a lot about the uniform business. There are a few members in management that were and still are great people to work for and to know. Then there are some who I wouldn't turn my back too. My co-workers were awesome, they all will be missed. Not always getting the product when needed was the hardest part. Most enjoyable part was being a member of a team when the company had a good service manager.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
not always getting what you need to service customer
Tough job that managment makes tougher!
Route Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  FLNovember 13, 2012
Long days and a lot of work was not the bad part of working for G&K.
It was coming back to plant and being treated like garbage by management(they are trained to do this) even to the point of insulting your family and and questioning your manhood for not meeting their ever changing goals. So much of what they do to make the job miserable was not nessisary and only done to keep the turnover high(It is very high even in a resssion) .
Pros
good pay and benifits
Cons
no future there
Fast Paced working enviornment.
Territory Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 15, 2012
Meet with business owners to offer facility services and uniform apparel. I worked with business owners from many different businesses from automotive to office environments. Once I made the sale I would assign it to the specified route for delivery. the most challenging part of the job is selling long term contracts. The most enjoyable part of the job was once all the contracts were negotiated, I would fit all employees for uniforms and install the hardware for the facility services.
Pros
generous vehicle expense program, generous commissions.
Cons
very competitive and commodity driven.
Enjoyed working with our employees
Service Coordinator / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COAugust 21, 2012
Customer service calls, data entry, order supplies for drivers and the office. Fix copier if it's jammed. Took orders over the phone and walk ins. I learned to deal with customers that were upset. Management was a little discriminating. Enjoyed co-workers. The hardest part of the job was to let an employee let them know they didn't pass on their random. I enjoyed working with people very much and some customers actually came to our office just to meet me.
Pros
had good benefits
Cons
really didn't get breaks
nice and quiet work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fairborn, OHJanuary 4, 2013
Easy place to work and get along. The management was good but sometimes inconsistent. Co-workers were easy to get along with whenever we interacted with one another. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep yourself busy when calls weren't coming in the call center. The most enjoyable part was the consistent hours you receive working there.
Pros
you have your own work space, not overcrowded
Cons
not enough employee interaction, robotic workplace
Extremely busy place to work always on the run.
Route Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 19, 2013
Typical work day is long and busy. No time to breath.I started this job with the plain of a career.Had great management in place and good chance of a career advancement. But after 7 months we had to close the plant and move the wash to Jonesboro AR. From that moment GK has gone down hill. We cant get all of the load on most days. I like the people I work with but management is lacking in skill and performance in my opinion. Hardest part of the day is starting at 4:00 am and finishing between 5:00 and 7:00 pm. The most fun I have in a day is the customers I get to interact with.
Great place to work. Great communication
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mobile, AlApril 4, 2013
I operated a 12 line switchboard while making a daily deposit with checks and cash. Assisted routemen with concerns over a radio for our customers. Aslo did data entry work inbetween. I loved my manager, her communication was great. She had an open door policy. she was a very fair person. My co-workers were, for the most part great to work with and we were in a way, like a small family. Hardest part of my job was when my money didnt balance for my daily deposit. I knew it had to balance.
I enjoyed meeting,greeting and helping people in and out of the office.
Pros
have a great manager. enjoying pot luck lunches and breakfasts in the office.
Cons
i can not think of any at this time.
Productive place to work
RSR (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 3, 2014
Manage the production process in a manner that optimize work flow and efficiency and meet production goals and profitability objective. Directly supervise production workers to ensure that production standards are followed and goals are achieved, positive employee relations result, and policies, rules and regulations and procedures are followed.
Pros
great leadership from all upper management
Cons
2nd shift
Good work environment
General Production/ Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 7, 2012
I've learned alot of different skills working at G&k services but the hardest part of working there is working six days a week. I really like most of my co-workers and i've had great days at the workplace! A typical day at work is sewing lots of clothing and standing for long periods of time but i really enjoy sewing different uniforms.
Pros
cookouts and holiday meals
Cons
short breaks and no growth in the workplace

2.9