G.L. Huyett Employee Reviews

Go and Grow
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, KSNovember 20, 2017
The great part about this business is that they have a great training program. Not only will they educate you on what you will need to know, but they will show you hands on your job duties and even take you through an observational process of all the departments within the company so that you have a better understanding on how G.L. Huyett works.

This is a very fast pace company with high expectations. We are held to such a level because they believe in our abilities to perform at our greatest and when we do we are rewarded. It can be very stressful as there is more focus on the errors than there are the positives, but that is their way of keeping us disciplined as hard working employees.

The benefits package is amazing. Our CEO puts a lot of time into making sure he finds the best packages to provide his employees. You get PTO very quickly, there are quarterly bonuses and paid holidays. On top of that, you get recognition for your birthday and workiversary. So all in all, there are many benefits that come in return to the hard work you put in.

The employee environment has always been great. We are a team here and when one falls we all fall. We pick each other up and improve together instead of individually. It is more so a family/friend environment than it is just coming to work with other coworkers. We care for one another and want to see everyone succeed. Even though it sounds very serious, we have a lot of fun and there is always humor spread amongst everyone.

G.L. Huyett's Goals are always high but never unobtainable. Just like any company, there is always
  more... room for improvement and upper management is constantly looking for ways to improve in the quality of our business and are always open to suggestions and feedback. They understand that they need to win your business to work for them instead of expecting that you will work for them.  less
Pros
Health Care Benefits, Profit Sharing Bonuses, Pto, Holiday Pay, Room for Improvement/Growth, Family Oriented
Cons
Fast pace environment and High expectations isn't for everyone. Short on staff at times
Growth from inside out!
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, KSNovember 16, 2017
During my time with GL Huyett I have grown tremendously in my professional and personal life! Working at a place which requires such a high level of dedication and focus provides so many different benefits, if you take advantage of it. I have learned to hold myself at a higher standard because I know what I am capable of and what I deserve. With every job comes stressors but, because of the people I work with, I truly have an amazing support system and the managers address any concerns or issues before they become big problems. There are times when micro-managing seems to take hold of the management team and nit-picking becomes a trend but normally those are quickly resolved. I feel at home when I come to work and very close to most of my co-workers.
Pros
Excellent Insurance Options, Profit Sharing, Performance Reviews and Yearly raises
Progressive, Driven and Supportive Environment!!
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, KSNovember 14, 2017
I moved to Minneapolis to take a job with G.L. Huyett 5 years ago and it has been the best decision I could have made personally and professionally! It is a very progressive company with high expectations for performance. The company is focused on development, both in developing the organization as well as offering opportunities for personal development and growth to the employees. Evaluations are provided 3 times a year giving each employee the feedback and support needed to grow professionally.

I have never worked for a company that cares for its employees the way G.L. Huyett does. It truly is a family. They offer profit sharing opportunities 3 times a year based off of the company success and your own performance against expectations. Multiple company picnics are offered throughout the year as well as a company Christmas party, Thanksgiving meal and our annual Project Drive are just a few examples of how G.L. Huyett gives back to its team members and to the communities.
Pros
Leadership, Progressive, Personal Development Opportunities, Company Culture, Team members
Wonderful Place to work!
Key Account Group Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, KSOctober 30, 2017
GL Huyett taught me so much as I have continued to advance in my career. The leadership within the company is truly exceptional, as they focus on your development and want to see success not only within the organization, but within you personally.
The culture of the company is extremely important, and the company vision is properly disseminated to all of the employees. I never questioned what my role was or why my job function was valued.
Pros
Profit Sharing Bonus, Competitive Salary and Benefit Package, Great Leadership and Management
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, KSOctober 27, 2017
G. L. Huyett has a fast paced learning environment, highly involved with customers as well as their employees, monthly meetings to keep everyone updated with what is going on with the company as well as with its employees.
Pros
Good health insurance, profit sharing, great fast pace environment, fantastic people
G.L. Huyett was a wonerful employer!
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, KSOctober 16, 2017
As a former employee, G.L.Huyett is one of the best companies! Not only do they take great care of their employees, their dedication to customer care is unmatched. G.L. Huyett offers World-Class service while continuing to grow. Their culture is one of growth and challenge to be better and more efficient each and every day. It was a pleasure to work for such a great company, and if the opportunity ever presented itself I would not hesitate to go back.
Your contribution matters!
Purchasing (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, KSOctober 13, 2017
Pay and benefits are excellent. From individual contributors to management, the company culture encourages each employee to contribute to the company's success and openly listens to all suggestions. Performance expectations high, but they support your development and you are aware of the expectations upfront.
Pros
Benefits, team environment, ability to contribute
Cons
If you're looking for a cush job, this company may not work out for you. However, if you want to develop yourself and have input, you will be rewarded.
Wonderful company to work for.
RSM (Current Employee) –  MidwestOctober 12, 2017
This is my second time working for GL Huyett and things are better than ever. The executive management team is extremely strong and focused. The atmosphere is professional, yet family and friendly oriented with balance in mind. Overall a great place to have a career.
Fast Pace, Focused on Quality and Customer Service
Sr. IT Administrator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, KSOctober 9, 2017
From my perspective in IT at GL Huyett, I see lots of effort being put into assuring the quality of the product and that it ships in the right quantity in a timely manner. There is always continuous improvement happening in all departments. In IT, we are always looking for ways to improve accuracy and efficiency to help get the product out the door in the most cost-effective way. This helps GL Huyett provide lower, competitive prices to our customers and boost the employee profit sharing plan! IT also works hard at making sure the business stays up and running with lots of preparation and forethought put into how to handle different disasters and challenging events that happen in life.
Productive, Fast Paced, Fun Place to Work
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, KSOctober 9, 2017
Since my hire in 2006 we have been ever changing to improve ourselves both on a personal level and a corporate level. We have high expectations for production and output and I like that. We strive to support our customers at a top-notch level, never settling for less than our best. Glad to be part of the family.
Pros
High Expectations, Strong Work Ethic
Cons
None, Typical Workplace Setting
Great Place to Work
Graphic Artist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, KSOctober 9, 2017
The culture is great. Everyone is friendly and willing to help. In my position, I have a variety of tasks and projects, which keeps daily activities interesting. Management is always promoting for us take ownership of our projects, but sometimes they struggle with micromanagement. With the high expectations, the work load is sometimes is out of balance. It doesn't stay out of balance, but sometimes everything has to happen at once. In my short time here, G.L. Huyett has come a long way.
Pros
Benefits, Profit Sharing Bonuses (3x/year), and Company Events
Excellent culture, competitive wages, & good benefits!
Web Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, KSSeptember 28, 2017
This is an innovative and progressive company that is steadily growing. They offer competitive wages and benefits like profit sharing and health insurance. There is a 90 day on-boarding plan to train all new hires. The staff and management are really friendly and helpful. Overall, I have had a great experience working for this company.
Pros
Breakroom with many food options, profit sharing, health insurance, 401K
High Expectations, Stable Company with Great Benefits
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, KSJuly 11, 2017
The Company has high expectations and expect all employees to perform and carry their weight. In return, the Company invests in their employees through benefits like profit sharing and health insurance. The Company is growing and with growth there will be change, but there is a great culture of people who work together every day.

If your looking for a stable Company that won't lay you off, or cut your hours and will care about you as employee, this is a great place to work. You will be asked to work hard and show up for work on time and regularly, but isn't that what a job is for?
Machine Shop
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, KSJune 14, 2017
During my time at this shop, I felt there was very little chance for advancement, nor was there much for appreciation. There were people in charge that had no idea of how to run the machines required to operate a machine shop. There was a strong hold of favorite employees that had the run of the offices as well. I felt that there was a lack of solid management from the Office manager in correlation with the Shop manager.
Not a good place for long term secure jobs
Asst. Lead Packaging (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, KSFebruary 9, 2017
Going to work and doing the best job you can should be the goal of everyone no matter where you work at. I was told by this place that some times that is not good enough.
Training problems.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, KSDecember 28, 2016
Training I experienced was very lacking for a company that supposedly was ISO900. I was told that ISO9000 was not being extended into the office and they had no intention of working on it. They did not like it when I challenged an order with possible boycott wording (boycotts are required to be reported to the U.S. Commerce Dept.). The person I was to take my concern to did not appear to have adequate international training and dismissed my concern. Even though missing sections in the training materials were reported several times by me, I was unable to obtain those sections for several weeks.
Cons
Was a 45 min drive from home
Decent place...poor management
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, KSOctober 11, 2016
I worked in packaging there. Decent pay but claims to be a family based and oriented company. Which is totally not true at all. Penalizes you if your kids, wife have to be hospitalized. You get points for that which in turn leads into not getting profit sharing or any giveaways they might have. Glad I'm not there.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Just about everything else
Great Company - Room to Grow!
Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, KSOctober 11, 2016
This is a great company! The pay and benefits offered are excellent, along with opportunities for advancement. The company has created a culture which encourages each employee to perform at their best. Expectations regarding performance are high, but these expectations are clearly communicated and support is provided by management and peers.

The employees at this company are kind, helpful and committed to the goals of the company. It is great to work for a company that values and fosters a team mentality.
Pros
Great benefits, opportunities for advancement, team atmosphere
Cons
Fast paced environment and high expectations might not be a good fit for everyone.
Worst job ever
Distribution Division Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, KSMay 13, 2016
Left a 6 figure a year job after 10 years to work for this company only to have the HR tell me that she misrepresented the job position during my recruitment. There is a lot of talk about innovation and moving forward but it is mostly that. Systems usually bog down during the work day and create stressors for the operators. There is no work life balance if you are on the warehouse side of the business. There associate opinion survey told the company exactly what they knew and they tried to sweep it under the rug as if it wasn't factually. The hourly employees are not happy there. The performance evaluations are a joke. You have to write up to 8 13 page reports on a new employee who performs a handful of tasks in a repetitive manner. Even then it's not the managers evaluation to write but human resources mandates what must be written on the evaluation. If you push back as a manager you can almost certainly say goodbye to your position. The CEO should remove himself from the position due to poor leadership skills and being part time involved. Leaders must work more than a few days a week. The CEO is not a leader. This is hands dow the worst perfessional decision of my life. I felt safer in Iraq (2004) then I did working at that place.
Pros
Cons
The job
Great culture, Challenging Work Environment, Growth Opportunity
Individual Contributor (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, KSJune 30, 2015
The people make this place! It is a great culture and a stable Company that has been around for a long time. Employees are driven every day to contribute. There are learning opportunities and growth potential for those that perform well.

Benefits are excellent for the area with full medical coverage, 401k match, and profit sharing bonuses. Pay is also very comparable for the area.

Some departments tend to be short staffed so work life balance needs some work at times.
Pros
Excellent culture, great benefits for the area, growth opportunities
Cons
Short staffed at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G.L. Huyett. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2