G.L. Huyett Employee Reviews

Great co-workers, bad management
former employee (Former Employee), Minneapolis, KSApril 30, 2015
Pros: Great co-workers, quarterly bonus check
Cons: Awful management
The work at G.L. Huyett was not bad. The piling on of job after job, past personal job description, was stressful. Being helpful was taken advantage of. There was a lot of pressure and stress put on one person. Not just myself personally, but several people there. Shop was great, I felt bad for warehouse... When hired, you are told set working hours with possible 1-2 hour overtime here and there. There were several days warehouse people got in at 7-8 am and didn't leave until 6-7 pm.
Management is so scattered, and doesn't know what one hand is saying to the other. They take on more than they can handle and leave it for employees to handle. Not being able to make up their minds was an issue as well. They tell you to do something one way and then change it back to the way it was or a completely different way. Hiding what they do bothered me too. Whenever there was an audit, The whole company was scrambling to hide all evidence that things were being done wrong. If it was wrong, why were we told to do it that way in the first place???
This company has no tolerance for emergency situations. Sick children, family issues, and personal emergencies. They have a point system in place and expect that if one person there can see it useful then everyone should.
Favoritism was an issue too. You are safe as long as you are a favorite. If you are not, and try to voice opinions, or point out problems, you definitely know your job is at stake.
Great family environment
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee), Minneapolis, KSMay 2, 2014
I learned a lot of warehouse skills well working for this company.
Family oriented, friendly co-workers
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee), Minneapolis, KSJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: friendly, great co-workers, always busy!
Cons: acting hr manager
The hardest part of the job was trying to figure out what type of mood the Acting HR Manager was going to be in. Somedays he was the nicest, most helpful person to work for and then there were other days that working for him made it unbearable. I feared for my job everyday i was under his supervisor. Most days no one could do anything right and on rare occassions there were days you got a, "Nice Work." Very Rare.

I loved working with my co-workers! Everyone i worked with in sales, warehouse, manufacturing, advertising and HR were great people! It was definately a very supporting and loving team to work with.

I definately loved my job, it kept me busy and on the move it was a great experience considering some of the obstacles.
fun work
Strategic Sales (Former Employee), Minneapolis, KSJanuary 3, 2013
Pros: good shift, good pay raises
Cons: small company
very flexible with life management issues. Working with contacts over seas was a big perk. So was doing the CAD work.
Fast paced work place. All employees were expected to perform at a high level.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee), Minneapolis, KSSeptember 13, 2012
Pros: quarterly performance bonus
Cons: company was growing so fast there were many changes in management.
When I went to work at G.L. Huyett, I never thought I would find my nitch after so many years. I never expected that I would be able to work with customers that were only speaking with me beacuse they had product issues. I was able to break down the problem and most often resolve their issues. This was a fast paced job that I was dealing with several tasks at one time. I was able to work with all division of the company and learn so much about processes and products.

I was offered a 18 hr Telephone Doctor class shortly after arriving at the company. Before the first class I thought, Yeah I know all this stuff. I was wrong. I learned so much from that class to use in my daily workings with customers. I feel I grew so much in the 2 years at G. L. Huyett. I appreciated the opportunity I had there.

My co-workers were often there to support when they knew I had a difficult product issue. If the company was located in the Lawrence/Topeka area I would still be there growing.
Stressful, with good pay for the area
Product Developer (Former Employee), Minneapolis, KSAugust 13, 2012
In a typical day I worked on building a cost analysis tool in access.

I learned a good deal about MS Access, Excel, how analysis is used in a business setting, and many many things about manufacturing and distributing steel fasteners.

Management will NOT have time to help you. Plan on fending for yourself.

The co-workers I interacted with were very knowledgeable about their own area of specialization. People tend to be very divided about the way things should be done though.

The hardest part of the job is to get everyone to agree on the scope of projects. Management tends to bite off more than they can chew with the available resources. Thus there usually an expectation to work long hours.

The best part of the job is the opportunity to learn new skills and use those to make significant business accomplishments.
Headquarters