G4S
1,108 reviews

G4S Employer Reviews

co-workers are nice really good environment to work
Security Guard (Current Employee), Cranford, NJJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: save environment
Cons: it can get lonley at times
A day at work is typically smooth and easy no problems.I learned about leadership role at times you have to make your own decisions.Managment is very strict.My co-workers are very friendly to me.The hardest part is standing in the cold or in the heat.T he most enjoyable part of my job you get to see people.
BS
Security Officer (Current Employee), monck corner, scJanuary 27, 2015
I worked for the Google site and the supervisors are a joke. the hardest part of the job is dealing with the people who talk about you and how unprofessional the people in charge is
Worst Job Ever
Therapist (Former Employee), FloridaJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: give opportunity for experience
Cons: you will pay dearly to obtain that experience
I worked as a therapist in a Florida G4S facility and the company expected compliance of their demands over all ethical and safety considerations. Always understaffed and expecting undersized staff to carry the load of what should have been a much larger staff. Kids were great but the company had real problems.
Fun and a very nice social place to work.
USO Security Officer (Former Employee), Carneys Point, NJJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: fun, sociable workplace, people were nice
Cons: none really
I would have to say this job was a fun environment to work. It was a Desk job at a Gym which I enjoy working out and talking health so it fit well with my life overall. I took this job up as a second job while working as a assistant manager for Gnc just to make some extra money on the side.
good working conditions
Security Officer (Former Employee), Stamford ConnecticutJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: good working conditions
Cons: stressfull at times
.The position requires the ability to follow routine.
What i learned is to be patient and stay alert .
Management was good, and my co-workers were equally good. The position can require enforcing regulations, in a tactful manner.
The best part of the job is doing what is expeced of me.
fun work place
private security officer (Current Employee), Manassas, VAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: paid 30minutes break
Cons: seniority not respected
learned something new everyday and always look forward to go to work and I also have great co-workers
Long days, short checks
Security Supervisor (Current Employee), Chattanooga, TNJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: paid lunches and breaks
Cons: short staff minimal pay
While working for G4S I was required to work a 16 and 2 12 hour shifts back to back with eight hour breaks in between the shifts due to lack of personnel. The staff were rude and very unprofessional; half of which couldn't pass a drug test. no benefits book to compare plans so its like Russian roulette with your health.
Not Great
Security Guard (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKJanuary 13, 2015
No recognition for good work. Hardly ever get raises. Some co-workers were okay.
Poor
EMT (Current Employee), Wilder, KYJanuary 9, 2015
While G4S is the biggest security company in the world they are not very employee oriented. The basic system is you are assigned a post and then G4S interacts minimally with you after that point. You are more or less at the mercy of the company that hired G4S to be gin with.

As an EMT with G4S I spend more time doing clerical work for the plant than I do and rounds or security work.
Surely its not too bad but not too good to be true, either
Security Guard. (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: i'm working and getting paid for it. i'm not homeless or malnourished.
Cons: wages are low, need a second job, schedule does not allow that, medical benefits don't cover what i need, hasno retirement benefits, overtime is not rewarded in pay.
G4 is no different than other security companies: shifts are longer if the person after you never shows up at the security site. Chane to move up is never there, like in most companies in most professions, including security; pay is always low if it starts out low: raises aren't going to bring you to a high wage at the same company, no matter who you work for, or how long you work for them. To get the largest raises allowed with each year or performance review will still keep you low - thatmight count as your cost of living raise.

If youare working in security andneed a second jobto supplement this income, but don't have time to do that, then go looking for an education or new profession, full time with higher pay, so you can have a life..whether you'regetting it back or getting one for the first time.
Lazy coworkers
Unarmed Security Officer (Former Employee), Dupont Fayetteville WorksJanuary 8, 2015
Majority of the coworkers had no knowledge of security work and had an attitude of wanting a pay check but not wanting to do the work to earn the pay. The supervisors were just as bad and did not follow up to ensure that the work was being done.
Dependable company with great benefits.
Upscale security Officer (Former Employee), Northport, ALJanuary 8, 2015
Great workplace where you can help assist others and reduce hazardous situations.
Custom Protection Officer (Current Employee), LouisianaJanuary 7, 2015
I enjoyed the environment, but I did not enjoy management I think they need to go some type of training to learn how to deal with people. I did not really learn anything because I already had experience .
It's A Job
Data Entry Specialist (Current Employee), Hudson, OHJanuary 7, 2015
Nothing more. Nothing less. Show up and get paid. No room for advancement, and favoritism among employees.
No advancement. No job security. No home life.
Employee (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: genuinely decent staff on contracted sites.
Cons: scheduling, "contract amendments, " being "babysat" or micromanaged, and terrible supervisors.
I've been working with the Charlotte location for about a year and a half. In my time working here I've been on basically three different contracted sites.

In my time of working here I've noticed quite a few things that honestly don't take anyone long to see.

First off: In the training class they feed you a whole lot of garbage about "If you help your supervisors they'll do the same for you." I've came in when called for every contract and when I actually need something from my supervisors it doesn't happen.

Secondly: During the training class we were informed about quarterly raises. Raises that weren't that much, but were there. Upon my first year of absolutely nothing happening with those raises I inquired to find out they are "Contract Driven." If you were to understand how the ladder works for paying security officers, you would understand me when I say that there is room for improvement.

Thirdly: The ranking system is a joke. Maybe one or two people respect the ranking system, but as a whole, it's just something else supervisors can use against you. And if the client doesn't like you... guess what? You lose it and your supervisors just say "Suck it up." And not only that, but it can go as far as you getting fired because the client supervisor doesn't like you. What job security is this?

Fourthly: Your schedule is what they say it is and under OUR policy if it's within three days, you're required to work it or to find a way of changing shifts. In other words, don't make plans for the weekend on Monday because chances are you're going to work. And it's like this EVERY – more... WEEK. Here recently, I've never been asked to work a certain day, I've been placed on that day, which is outside of the contract I signed when I was hired, and just been told to "Suck it up."

What you need to know about the training class is that it is a sales pitch. That's all. They'll feed you a a few great sounding lies and when you expect it, they'll laugh and pull out the ever popular "Oh, it's contract driven and not on this contract."

If you're single, have no kids, no type of a life outside of work, or you just want to sit by the phone or the computer every day to check your schedule, this job is for you. Other than all of the stuff I mentioned, the sites and the clients are fairly nice. To your face, anyway. And the office staff in the headquarters actually tends to get what you need completed, completed correctly. – less
Field surveillance
Private Investigator (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: no office to go to
Cons: very isolated since there was no one to talk to about the job
Sitting in one's car for eight hours a day was rough. Even rougher is that your territory was anywhere within a two hour drive from your house, and it usually was a two hour drive from your house. So two hours of driving to get to the job site, eight hours of surveillance, then two hours driving back was 12 hours - and that was before the three or four hours of paperwork writing the reports, submitting receipts, finding a FedEx location to mail the tapes/disks. One eight hour day of surveillance typically took 16 hours of total work. The only time paid at the $17.00 rate was case time. All other time spent on the job was minimum wage. So out of 16 hours, 8 of it was minimum wage. It was even worse when surveillance lasted only four hours. There was still four hours of driving and four hours of paperwork, so these eight hours were minimum wage.

What made it even worse is when you found out you had to drive two hours to Orlando for surveillance when there was an Orlando investigator who had to drive two hours to do surveillance five minutes from your house. The assignments were meted out by someone out of state who had no idea of Florida geography. Investigators had no way of contacting each other to ascertain surveillance assignments. So a day that could have been cut by four hours of driving was instead incredibly long unnecessarily so.

All communication was done by phone. I never met any of the other investigators in my territory. The work seemed like it was done in a vacuum.
DONT WORK HERE
CPO (Former Employee), Miami, FLJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: nothing
PAY is bad. ADMIN is terrible. No sick days. You get vacation on anniversary day only so if you dont work NO PAY. Waste of time.
Worst company to work for!
Custom Security Officer (Former Employee), PhoenixDecember 31, 2014
Cons: everything
Absolutely the worst company I have ever worked for. After 20 years of law enforcement, I was looking for a job to supplement my income, worst decision ever. Benefits for a family were about $800 a month out of my pocket, most jobs only pay about $11 an hour. The management in the Phoenix office is absolutely oblivious to proper security practices, and don't allow employees to voice their thoughts or ideas. DO NOT APPLY WITH THIS COMPANY UNLESS YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY AT ROCK BOTTOM.
Very Unprofessional
site supervisor (Former Employee), stl, moDecember 30, 2014
Pros: zero
Cons: unprofessional
( I was not an employee just applied, indeed.com made me put something in the box)
Applied for site supervisor position, which by the way the ap. is very long so be prepared if you want to apply. I got an email 7 days in advance inviting me for an interview. I showed up 10 minutes early, I gave the receptionist my name and said i had an interview with the hiring manager and she looked confused and told me to sit down. 40 minutes later she tells me i guess there was a mistake the person to interview you forgot and she asked me if i would come back the next day. I said no thank you if this is how you did business i wasn't interested in working for them. This company appears to be your normal b.s. rent a body outfit, move on.
Good experience when wanting to help children.
Interim Assistant Facility Administrator (Former Employee), Stuart, FLDecember 30, 2014
Pros: ablity to help others.
Cons: short timeframe allowed to help others.
The work was fulfilling. I learned communication skills and techniques for motivating others. I was in a position to train and help my co-workers. I had the ability to improve my leadership abilities to the fullest.

1 2 3 4 5

About G4S

G4S is the leading global integrated security company specialising in the provision of security products, services and solutions. The – Read more