G4S Employee Reviews

Found 2,716 reviews matching the search
Need better Mangers
CRO (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VANovember 17, 2016
Poor Management
This would be a wonderful place to work, but management lack managerial skills. Most of the employees Ive come across are willing to work but they are not motivate. Management have little to no interest in making sure that the employees are taken are of.

Job Work/Life Balance doesn't exist. It is almost impossible for an employee to take a day off before they have reach their one year anniversary.

Compensation is pretty decent. When compare to other security companies.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
healthcare, short breaks, Management
productive
Unarmed Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 7, 2016
when i got to work at the courthouse I would start by opening the lines and checking people in by having them take everything out of their pockets, and removing their belt. if the metal detector still went off you would wand them and see what was setting it off them feel to ensure it was not a weapon. I learned to check people in fast and thoroughly and how to do thorough patrols. the management was good as well as my employees. everyone worked hard every day but the hardest part was when the people forgot they had to take there belt off before they stepped through the metal detector.
Pros
enjoyable employees
Cons
unhappy people
a very good place to work
Youth Officer (Former Employee) –  Okeechobee, FLNovember 1, 2016
it was a detention center for trouble teen young men who got in trouble with the law. we had 15 to 17 youth in each cottage we had 5 cottages in all. this young men also had behavioral problems they broke laws and they got caught the ran away from home and got picked up by law enforcement and put in there we had drug addicts being taking off the drugs they got into we also worked with their counselling and we had to sit in group with them we have to sit in therapy groups class room while they were in school
Management Needs Improvement
Manager (Current Employee) –  Jupiter, FLNovember 17, 2016
My review reflects that of the department that I worked in, not the company as a whole. A typical day consists of upper management passing down there duties without recognizing your for your hard work. Management is non existent and upper management doesn't seem to care what's going on in the department that they are over. You will find it very hard to work under people who seem to be incompetent to the most basic knowledge of everyday leadership skills.
Pros
Lenient with PTO requests.
Cons
Terrible management.
Workfroce
Armed Officer (Former Employee) –  Coraopolis, PAOctober 30, 2016
I believe each day at work is different for me and I handle each situation in a professional manner. There's been a time at work where my company had two no call/no show and they were very short staffed. Upon clocking on my supervisor asked me if I could stay and help out, other employees told me not to stayed. I simply ignored that employee and stayed late to help out the company. I strongly believe that a job is only hard if you make it hard for yourself whenever performing your duties. What I like most about a job is being able to work with a group of motivated people, learning from them as well as teaching them. I enjoy challenging myself to the max and enjoy helping others in the time of need.
Pros
Union
Cons
No Breaks
unorganized work place
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Okeechobee, FLNovember 6, 2016
very challenging career learned self control and to be a great listener poor management co-workers as in Youth Care Workers very great but supervisors have poor communication skills and self-centered... Job wasn't hard at all I loved it. Most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you have the potential of changing someones life wirth the help of wonderful staff.
Pros
following my dream of working in this type of setting
Cons
no breaks.... 16+ hours of work almost everyday
A company that doesn't care
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 31, 2016
We are understaffed horribly, treated like garbage from the client and our manager. Until recently our day to day was, interesting to say the least; we were lucky to get breaks. My co-workers aren't bad guys but there isn't enough of us to cover if one of us is sick. As far as management goes other people have had our manager show up for various reasons, but I have been employed for more than a year and have yet to see our manager on my shift.
Pros
The winter at that location is pretty slow and easy.
Cons
Short breaks, neither company cares about you, hours aren't set, and availability isn't honored
It's not the best of jobs but it still is one.
Upscale Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 20, 2016
A typical day at work depends on what site you are placed at. but every site has its ups and downs. What I've learned so far is how to do basic security procedures and life saving skills. Management is terrible. My co-workers are the best part of my job experience. There have only been a couple that haven't gotten along with me. The hardest part of my job is being at a site that gives us limited resources to be able to perform our job properly. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting off of work.
Pros
Friendly Officers
Cons
Poor vacation and advancement
One of the best jobs I have had
Master Control Operator/ Youth Care Worker 1 (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 20, 2016
The best overall part of working for G4S Youth Services was working with the kids that were there, I learned that even thoughwe all come from different walk of lfe we all have something in common, we all want a change in difficult situations, we all need someone positive in our life to help keep u motivated and life challeges us for the better to only make us stronger
Pros
being a example for kids to want to be like
Cons
kids come and go never knowing if I would ever see them again
They just Liars and Fraud
USO (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 2, 2016
In Jacksonville office they all liars, poor management I think they don't even know what they are doing, poor training it's a sorry company. They post job online with a paying rate when they got you for an interview they change everything. They just to get government money pretend that they hire you but it not. Everything they post about the company values are the exact opposite. They fraud for me and liars.
Just yapping about the uniform that you need to look good but workers are still dirty, it's look like they promote the brand or something and getting paid for. They just care for their pockets not care of workers.
Pros
Nothing good about them
Cons
Fraud post false job online pretend they hire you and collect govenment money
Decent work environment. Site management and treatment of employees is poor
Security Officer (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 1, 2016
Site management fails to address issues and has to be taken to upper management constantly.

Site Supervisor doesn't run the site as it is supposed to be ran. Have a lot of issues with employees always quitting because of it. Over time is constantly being generated because of this and the overtime is given to day shift employees without even posting it to other shifts.

Sometimes going to a supervisor or a site supervisor causes them to get disgruntled and then they make you feel like you are nothing for asking questions. Not all sites are like this, just the specific one I work at and constantly have to get a hold of the home office team.
If you have no life and no family and love to work and what to do nothing but work. This is the place for you.
Customs Protection Flex Officer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 23, 2016
So just my opinion this place sucked worse place i have ever worked. however, thats just me some people love it. I was working 65+ hours a week no free time what so ever. Management sucked when i asked to be moved off Flex position and never gave it a second thought. I had no life my PT scores for the guard plummited and I hated everything about it.
Fun and exciting place to work
Shift Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCOctober 24, 2016
I am a Shift Security Supervisor. Every day I wake up mentally ready for work. My work day always began with greetings from my coworkers and I everyday to start their day. next comes checking the schedule for today's events. theses events usually involve kids, Veterans or events that support the city or state. sometimes I enjoy my job so much that I hate to leave or end the day. I have never worked at a place and enjoyed my job so much. My Manager and I work great together with our team.
Pros
We have a great cafeteria with good healthy food to choose from
Lots of hours...but you don't get paid
Upscale Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLOctober 30, 2016
The co-workers and posts were great. Management forgets to pay you on a regular basis though and acts like it is no big deal when almost EVERY paycheck is wrong....especially for overtime. If you apply keep impeccable records and make copies of EVERY timesheet ....you will need them! Also get every promise in writing management makes...somehow they forget that too.
Pros
good co-workers and posts
Cons
Paychecks ALWAYS being wrong
Great Opportunities for Career Advancement
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 21, 2016
Great Opportunities for Career Advancement. Lots of overtime available. However, there seems to be a revolving door at the company, and each new officer must bring to the job their own motivation and inspiration because the management team can be a bit careless and unfocused at times leaving team members open for workplace apathy. Nonetheless, this is a great starting point for a person who feels his life calling is security work , much valuable experience can be gained here.
Pros
Great Opportunities for Career Advancement
Cons
Pay Raises needed; Mgmt unfocused at times; inspiration can vasilate.
Productive company focused on client and employee satisfaction
Field Investigator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 25, 2016
What I have been able to learn from this company is how to properly utilize deductive reasoning skills to in order to conduct investigations.

The hardest part of the job is the initial learning curve when it came to surveillance. Management has been very helpful in helping me adjust to this curve.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the freedom field investigators are given.
Management has no Spine
Global Command Center Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 2, 2016
They do not take care of employees. The first time a client complains your fired and reassigned. No benefits, HR there is a joke still doing paper timesheets. They mess up your pay, then ask you to work a million hours overtime. Don't get a job in the Tampa region if you can help it. Maybe other areas of the country are better
Pros
Lots of voertime available
Cons
Nobody cares about issues or bettering the work place
Interesting and Family Enviroment
Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Flowood, MS 39232November 2, 2016
Working for G4S is a good experience and feels like you are working for yourself. Management is always there to listen and assist. The hardest part of my job is dealing with different attitudes of the communities. The only truth here the most enjoyable part of the job is going home and sleep. My co-workers are good and understanding and we are a team and believe in helping one another.
Cons
Working nights
Poor all around
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 29, 2016
Everything about this company screams "Leave now!" The management plays favorites, don't speak with each other, and don't adjust schedules for life events. They don't monitor employees' appearances, performance, or reprimand them for being tardy to work. They also don't give you your schedule until after you have completed the training, which leaves you high and dry.
Pros
None.
Cons
Poor schedule, poor holiday time, poor management, etc etc etc
Stay Away
Upscale Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLNovember 15, 2016
Supervisors will watch your every move on the cameras and if you are even drinking water or sodas they will tell you that you can't do it because it's again at the rules. Never saw that rule written anywhere. Nitpick everything you do. Dont ask for time off for the first year it will be denied due to no accumulated time on the books. I could go on but I will tell you that the supervisors don't have your back.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Supervisors

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G4S. Our community is ready to answer.