G4S

1.6K reviews

G4S Employee Reviews

Job, yes. Carrer? Not so much.
Custom Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAApril 29, 2014
I've been with G4S since October 2010. Granted, it's not a great deal of time, but I've witnessed things that the (supposed) world's second largest private employer should find cringe-worthy.

My first assignment was a graveyard post for a water treatment plant in Orange County, CA. Patrolled the facilities on foot and by truck, walked through office areas and made sure lights and coffee makers were off and that doors were secure. Only had a couple instances where equipment was left running, but I'd notify on-site staff (most of them didn't seem to care, but there were a couple good people there). I enjoyed the autonomy of knowing what I had to do and not have some middle-manager hovering over you. As long as you did the prescribed patrol and logged the appropriate mileage on the truck (badge scans and truck mileage were our "watchclocks"), you were good. G4S lost the account to Securitas; city/county entities really only care about price (so they're certainly getting what they paid for). I'd ask my post commander about advancement (as I have a degree and should have been hired on as a CPO) but he told me I had to "pay my dues". I was the new guy so I kept my mouth shut.

Second assignment was with a satellite broadcast center; again, physical patrols but entirely on foot. We had other guards on post, so we rotated assignments every hour or so (so we'd cover each others lunch and switch out). At this post I had a more personable post commander that told me "you have to call and bug the office weekly" if you wanted to get promoted or a new site. I had to take a management-level
  more... course to qualify for the CPO exam; with the exception of the test format and a handful of questions, the tests were virtually identical and easily passed with a week's worth (5-7 hours) or study. I also had to use four vacation days (we only get five a year) to be able to go to the office and take the CPO course. I also got passed over for a promotion for a shift supervisor position; I had an interview scheduled but the client interviewed and hired an "outsider". I can see if the client wanted someone that didn't know or have any rapport with guards on another shift (they were mainly students and passed time playing on laptops or doing schoolwork), but it would have been nice if the client just said "We want to go with someone outside the site" but they didn't. I was informed to tell the office about this and the account manager thought it was a load of bovine excrement and scheduled me an interview at the clients corporate location.

Third assignment was the corporate office of the satellite provider, working in their control center. Sat for the duration of shift, monitoring a wall of security cameras, fielding calls, performing remote unlocks and conducting video surveillance. The challenge was going from a strictly "beat job" to a "desk job" and the rotating hours (two dayshifts, two swingshifts, and a graveyard) made any kind of social life (or sleep) difficult. They did have another guard leave, so I ended up working swing shift with a couple midweek days off, so that was much better. I ended up getting removed from the post as I allegedly used "inappropriate language" over the telephone; one of our "kid" guards used profanity over the radio (FCC reg) and I had him call a landline and told him you can't swear on the radio. My supervisor couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me, so I found out from office management instead, but they seemed to understand my situation.

Fourth assignment was as a "rover", which is really no fun. I've been a temp in the past and there's really nothing worse than making $10/hour and you have no clue what your schedule is going to be week to week. Was generally only working 20-25 hours/week, as there seemed to be some sort of pecking order (rovers with more seniority get more hours) and one of the field supervisors made a scheduling error, so I had to report to a post 50 miles away on a Friday night (about 1hr15 travel time to the site) watching a construction site. Calling into the client's dispatch line hourly was the only real action and having to work graveyard on Christmas and New Year wasn't fun.

Currently I'm at a warehouse with a 20min commute. I conduct patrols and assist the client with customers. At least it's a CPO post and I can finally justify the expense of maintaining my firearm permit (G4S actually issues you a weapon, but most people have to amend their credentials to carry a .38....a bit odd but that's G4S for you). So it's indoors/outdoors with something different to do every hour, so you're constantly engaged (getting the nods in a dark control room isn't fun and coffee wasn't an option as we could only take restroom breaks during lunch or slow hours). The former post commander (who wore captain bars, but wasn't a captain) would monopolize hours (if the client was on a short production schedule he'd assign himself 40 hours and I'd get 20-25). When I suggested that we split hours when it was slow, he looked at me like I was crazy. I also had one instance were I was ten minutes late for work (I called ahead and left him a voicemail) because I had a close friend pass away suddenly; he pulled me aside and gave me the whole "you need to arrive on time" speech (he obviously didn't review my message) and when I apologized and mentioned that my friend passed away, he didn't care. As karma would have it, the corporate office of the client had the officer removed, so I'm the current post commander (without captain/lieutenant insignia...that guy was a joke). The downside with this post is that the hours are inconsistent (client needs and all that) and G4S management has told me "you can't take all your vacation days all at once" (sorry...if I'm entitled to five days and I want to take a trip...I can't?). They also have a hard time finding guards to stand post if one of us needs to take time off; I've had a couple declined vacation requests and the other guard had to constantly "bug" management to get his leave of absence for the birth of his child. According to one of the field supervisors (my first post commander, actually), this post is a CPO post, so only CPOs can cover it (but some CPOs don't have the armed certification). So I have the option of accruing vacation days and burning them on holidays we don't work (client observes nine major holidays, but it closed and no guards are needed) or saving them (and I've gotten the runaround from management to HR on how many hours I have used/accumulated).

If you made it this far, congratulations. That's three and a half years of G4S work..now for the good stuff...

Pay? $10.50/hour to start. Was under the impression that if you wanted a raise, you work another post that pays more, but the satellite company client's security manager told me it's based on what the client wants to pay (so if they think you deserve a raise, you might get one). CPOs (at least in CA) are $13-14/hour, depending on the post. If you have LEO, corrections or military experience (the ever famous "combat arms" that G4S wants), you might get in the $30/hour range.

Benefits? I had PPO medical with one client (just the way it's negotiated in the contract, welcome to contract security) and didn't have to pay for it, but another post had the pretty bare-bones G4S medical for $100/month (much more if you want to put dependents on it). Vision/dental are pretty nominal. Now with Obamacare, almost all line officers have to buy their own...not sure about management, however. 401K is entirely self-directed, so there's no company match (heck when I was working for a bank in 2003 I had a 5% match!)..again management might differ.

Day off, work/life balance? Really depends on the post; now my two-guard post makes it virtually impossible to get days off (let's wait until I have a medical emergency, jury summons or a death in the family and see how they handle that!). Posts with multiple guards don't seem to be subjected to this as much, as they can spread the workload. My thought is if you're entitled to days off with pay, you should take days off, with pay (I've seen guards 'burn' vacation days to get paid more, but I don't see the point).

Management? I've run across one good post commander, one good field supervisor, a decent trainer a few field supervisors that should really just retire and let me move in that position (although you're responsible for covering posts and if you can't find a guard, you get to work them). Main issue with management is communication; if you want a new post, refer to the website (which lack functionality and isn't intuitive). If you have an HR question, don't call on Mondays (that's payroll day) and be prepared to play phone tag with a couple different people as they pass you off. The phone check in system isn't usually updated correctly and sometimes you can't check in or out; if you're outside the 5-minute window and check out early or late, expect a call from a field supervisor. Last week my guard checked out five minutes early (under client direction; if they leave early, my guard leaves with them) and the field supervisor told me to make sure he checks in/out properly. I informed him that when the client is on a flex schedule, early check outs are to be expected (I had a handful of these when I worked second shift). My guard called the field supervisor and explained that I gave him the passdown and that he left early with the client and secured the facility; I hear the field supervisor just repeat, "Well, you need to check out in the five-minute window"...he wasn't even listening that my guard was following a CLIENT DIRECTIVE.

It's a job, not a career. Mediocre pay, poor management and lack or any real upward mobility are the real nails in G4Ss coffin.
Pros
great for students, retirees, former law enforcement...really depends on the post and onsite and office management
Cons
poor management, website for internal applicants is a joke, no more medical benefits, self-directed 401k
Keep an open mind for yourself' G4S does not....
Guard (Current Employee) –  FLDecember 2, 2013
It was okay until the client syndrome kicked in. Position in a large state facility was great with pay, health care and all the overtime you could handle. Then the cutbacks started and you and the company became a third party. You no longer "worked" for the primary client which was actually no longer the client' but another one that client hired to take over. The over time stopped, the way-to-go's stopped, the client giving kudos stopped turning into "why did you do that" routines. The ability to actually enjoy the job while doing a good one was gone and you suddenly began to see the true nature of contract driven guard work finally raise its ugly head.

Then the cutbacks started into my 7th year. They let go many full time guards including myself and put us all in "part time on-call" to implement these new hours. What kind of manager allows this to happen? Simple, because its guard work and no one is going to jeopardize a billion dollar contract for the sake of a few guards. The client has say in everything, I mean everything and you do not count.

I was then rehired as full time few months later and once again finding myself working in another government site this time county and not state. However, before I continue; I find it strange that with jobs and clients hard to come by in a competitive market that this company has not pursued any abundance of civilian contracts? Returning to the summery; Thinking I was going to get back into the grove again was anything but that as I started the new job and as the weeks went buy realized it was going to really to suck.

This site
  more... was the true meaning of too many chiefs not enough Indians (though there were many of those). The pay was terrible and significantly less than the last one I had for many years. I signed up for it in hopes that it would progress with raises and incentives. Those things never happened and everything went downhill from there. The drama was so intense you could feel it the moment you came into the place.

Dissention was always making its way around the different posts in the place and seemed to fluctuate like a never ending dark cloud moving around. Guards were quitting, transferring or being let go almost every few months. The primary client contact was a power monger and took things too personally despite being a county official. Again the contact mattered more than the guards. This was a million dollar account and the rotating door was a given here and the supervision was ready to throw you under the bus and hold the door open for you and let the next one in.

I held out for over a year trying to except things for what they were. After which I could not do it anymore and allow this place to degrade, belittle and run me into the ground so I asked for a transfer. That is still pending' I may move on while they fiddle about. Mind you that is what they do with employees wanting to leave, are looking to move up or are on the notorious "part time on-call" status. They hope you will give up and quit or they will terminate you under some "wet-ink" policies.

It was incredible to see something that you only hear in folk lore like conversations and read in novels and see on television. Never in my life have I seem such favoritism, bias, and personal vindictive actions in this company and the clients they attain contracts with. Maybe someone was fortunate to find a place with company and a client with a decent reputation but not here in central Florida. This was my first guard job and I will never, never do this again.

In my final closing this is my feelings about this type of job. It is not a profession, it is not a career.

Why? Because none of the following exist. Incentives, raises, career advancement (outside of being a uniform guard all your life), commensurate pay, off-duty paid training (on-line or class room), seniority in time with the company, actually caring about your needs and trying to find a balance, realizing you have a life outside the job and the biggie.. PENSION. A 401K or IRA account is a redundant subject here.

When a company tries to tell its clients and possible employees they are a profession with high standards in all areas they should be able to be held accountable for such statements. They call you a professional and you have a career now. That is fine, after I put in 20 years what will you give me when I leave? A gold watch and return of my hard work in a pension?

Shame on me for taking myself seven years to realize this.

However, sometimes you have to try to see where things go with a good attitude but when companies like this being nothing more than the American version of cheap out sourcing your desire to do the best you can get washed away after a while. Yes, you move on and try again or do something else.

So if you are starting out in life looking for a JOB, not a profession guard work is fine. If you are between jobs guard work is perfect. If you are on your way to retire in life or are already retired guard work is perfect. Unless you got really lucky and were blessed and found a guard job with all the above things I mention that were not then you are that tiny small percentage that got fortunate.

Because after some research and talking with many people that had worked or are working with many different guard companies I have concluded that most if not all in the major guard job work stream are the same.

It does not matter what kind of fancy title they give you. How sharp your uniform is. How big or little your company or if it's on the fortune 500 list. You are a number that makes money. You are part of that black line on the chart each month and if you start to dip into the red you are history. No matter how many way-to-go's you did one oops will cost you. Because the client does not want it to cost them. They do not care whether or not the issue they have with you is capable of being resolved or corrected they would rather just get rid of you.

The contract driven guard work force will never change. It has not changed since its conception. Therefore, I give you this advice and I give this with sincere heartfelt meaning. Go in doing this job with an open mind to allow you to be able to move on because you will get disappointed at one time or another. Three things to remember when you go in to apply for a job with a contract guard company. Commensurate pay, raises and pension you will not see on that application you will be filling out.

It's a job people. Except that and you will be able to figure things out as you go along.

Good luck.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
fancy titles, no retirement, client is number one, bias, nepotism in management and administration
Really evaluate this company and your options.
Custom Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 21, 2015
Let me begin by saying that I'm very generous with a 1 star rating. I really don't even know where to begin with this review.

First and foremost, contrary to their website, G4S is just another security company. Don't get excited about thinking a career can be made through them. Now were to start?........

My background includes a Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice, Air Force Veteran, and also a ten year law enforcement background, including state and county levels. When I saw the G4S website and noticed a position available in an area where I would be moving to, I figured that it would be a perfect fit with my background. After applying online I was contacted via email with a date and time to report for an interview. Interview went very well, even though we never spent a lot of time talking about the job. My interviewer had to stop the interview several times to take phone calls from other employees because their relief was late, or had unexpectedly quit (should have been my first clue). Interview ended a short time later and roughly four days later I received and "contract" email which explained my job site, my employment status, hours per week, and hourly pay (I'll get to that shortly), I accepted the contract and within a week I received a phone call telling me when to report for training (to this day we have never met the gentleman who contacted us, nor does the office no who he is). Training was NOT what I expected, basically its two weeks of power-points. After training the company pushed back my start date by three weeks (all without pay). Still through this time I
  more... had never received my duty gear, my uniforms, or anything, then finally when I did start I received my gear that day.

Benefits/Pay = benefits are poor, if you accept the insurance, don't expect to have a good paycheck, it goes toward that. No room for advancement (even though they tell you there is). The pay is decent for my area, but the contract I signed said that I would receive 40+ hours a week, ummm, no...more like 32-37. Be careful, that's how they'll get you. They'll tell you "its based on our needs"

Management = very poor and God awful! You have your onsite supervisor then from there it expands to a countless number of people. You get a contact list (but it changes without notice, had this happen recently), but if you contact the wrong person without knowing....be prepared to be reprimanded. They expect you to carry yourself one way, act a certain way and look a certain way, but none of the upper management managers follow their commands, should lead by example (you would think). If you have questions or concerns and you attempt to make contact with them, be prepared to spend a good amount of time being told to call other people. As anyone with prior LEO experience would know, you make a lot of judgement calls on site........just a word of advice, DO NOT MAKE A JUDGEMENT CALL, no matter what you do.....your wrong. Punishment for making a judgement call, you get a "policy refresher" then you are tested on what you have reviewed.

Report writing = if you have many years of report writing experience, be prepared to throw all that out the window, cause your wrong, your always wrong and always will be wrong. No matter how you were previously trained to write reports (myself for example came from a state academy and also while in college), go ahead and be prepared to have it sent back and told "do it again". Everything you do while on post goes in as an incident report. Did you open a door? Yes, write a report and give detailed description as to why you did. Did you close a door? Yes, write a report. Did you turn off a set of lights? Yes, write a report. Normally when your reports are sent back you will be asked to add information that is irrelevant or sometimes information that you are not aware of (this has also happened to me). If at anytime you question what you are being asked or have a disagreement with management, you're put on their "list", and its not good.

On-site = The onsite job isn't bad. The contract to which I work is decent, the people who are employed at the building are extremely friendly and will engage in conversation. My onsite supervisor is a really good guy, very down to earth. Really have nothing negative to say about the contract location.

I'm sure when I review this that I'll see topics that I've missed. As far as a paycheck, yes you get one but don't expect to make money. Your schedule is constantly changing and you cant really plan days off. This is just a mini stop till something else lines itself out and opens up. Be sure to weigh all your options before taking a job with this company or even considering this company.
Pros
you get a paycheck
Cons
poor management, to many "mangers & supervisors", poor chain of command, constantly degrading employees. (the list continues)
New Worker, already with bad experiences.
Flex Officer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 23, 2014
Now, before I begin this review, I must stress that I have only been with the company for over a month, so my experiences thus far could always change for the better or worse. That being said, let's get to it.

I should of been suspicious when there was no interview for this job. Within 24 hours of filling out an application, I was called in and blatently offered the job. being so close to falling into debt, I would of been stupid to pass this one up, so I took it. The Orientation...was a bit of a joke, just mindless droning on about the backstory of G4S, and pages upon pages of information no one, not even a professional, would remember, and it was boring to say the least. Sometime during this orientation, I was offered the Flex officer position instead of being a floater, and after I heard it was THREE dollars more on the paycheck, I accepted. Foolish me, I should of asked what the difference was.

After three days, I was sent to the location I would be working at, somwhere that was almost twenty miles away from my house no less. I was given the flash version of what I would be doing, for the Captain did not know quite how long I would be there (according to him, they were asking for months for a replacement of a worker about to quit). To this jobs credit, it is easy work. Stupidly easy, just typing in the truck trailer numbers, and watching the camera. The job itself isn't too bad, and the workers are all nice people as well as (most) of the drivers, so that is a plus.

The down fall is, that I have not had a week with more than one off day in a while. For some that might
  more... be the norm, but I was told that for the most part, forty hours would be the max, and that we could always be called on our off days. Which they have done twice, and on both times I was told the wrong time, showing up twelve hours early. I was not reimbursed, despite being on the clock, for either mistake. Also, these next two weeks I am working just(!) four hours over forty, yet the upper management decided to use a loophole on both days to not give me time and a half I legally deserved. It seems whenever I call, they either never pick up, or have a "reason" why something is occuring, yet do not own up to the mistakes, simply saying "they happen."

Now, unlike a lot of reviewers, I cannot comment on benefits, or promotions, or anything like that, as I have not been around long enough to discover them. However, my review can give warning to the ones looking at this company for a job, as a warning. It might not be the same where they are, but it was most certainly that way here.
Pros
nice starting pay, easy work.
Cons
inconsistant hours, boring, unhelpful upper management.
No advancement. No job security. No home life.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 5, 2015
I've been working with the Charlotte location for about a year and a half. In my time working here I've been on basically three different contracted sites.

In my time of working here I've noticed quite a few things that honestly don't take anyone long to see.

First off: In the training class they feed you a whole lot of garbage about "If you help your supervisors they'll do the same for you." I've came in when called for every contract and when I actually need something from my supervisors it doesn't happen.

Secondly: During the training class we were informed about quarterly raises. Raises that weren't that much, but were there. Upon my first year of absolutely nothing happening with those raises I inquired to find out they are "Contract Driven." If you were to understand how the ladder works for paying security officers, you would understand me when I say that there is room for improvement.

Thirdly: The ranking system is a joke. Maybe one or two people respect the ranking system, but as a whole, it's just something else supervisors can use against you. And if the client doesn't like you... guess what? You lose it and your supervisors just say "Suck it up." And not only that, but it can go as far as you getting fired because the client supervisor doesn't like you. What job security is this?

Fourthly: Your schedule is what they say it is and under OUR policy if it's within three days, you're required to work it or to find a way of changing shifts. In other words, don't make plans for the weekend on Monday because chances are you're going to work. And it's like this EVERY
  more... WEEK. Here recently, I've never been asked to work a certain day, I've been placed on that day, which is outside of the contract I signed when I was hired, and just been told to "Suck it up."

What you need to know about the training class is that it is a sales pitch. That's all. They'll feed you a a few great sounding lies and when you expect it, they'll laugh and pull out the ever popular "Oh, it's contract driven and not on this contract."

If you're single, have no kids, no type of a life outside of work, or you just want to sit by the phone or the computer every day to check your schedule, this job is for you. Other than all of the stuff I mentioned, the sites and the clients are fairly nice. To your face, anyway. And the office staff in the headquarters actually tends to get what you need completed, completed correctly.
Pros
genuinely decent staff on contracted sites.
Cons
scheduling, "contract amendments, " being "babysat" or micromanaged, and terrible supervisors.
Overall an excellent company for job security!
Justice Protective Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington D.C., Department of JusticeFebruary 7, 2013
G4S specializes in outsourced business processes and facilities in sectors where security and safety risks are considered a strategic threat, with expertise in the assessment and management of security and safety risks for buildings, infrastructure, materials, valuables and people. G4S has set standards to ensure that all employees are treated with respect, dignity and fairness. These standards cover issues such as health and safety, diversity and inclusion, transparent and fair procedures for dealing with disciplinary matters, grievances and redundancies, reward and recognition, and labor relations and freedom of association.

A typical day is normally 12 hours in length and encompasses numerous positions that are rotated through. This breaks up the monotony of standing or sitting in one place for 12 hours. You learn the different aspects of security from building protection, asset protection to personnel protection to ensure the safety and security of all. Management has a very open door, discusses and handles situations in accordance to policies and procedures to help out the employee as best as they can to make it a comfortable work environment. The co-workers are friendly to be around and work with because it gives everyone the ability to incorporate the different diversities and cultures to make each employee a better individual. The hardest part of working for G4S is the hours at work which tend to be long times away from family. This like any job can be stressful at times. The rewarding and enjoyable part of working for G4S is the benefits and pay for this particular
  more... job with the company. Another enjoyable part of the job is the ability to network with numerous other agencies and make new contacts with individuals to learn valuable knowledge from them through their experiences. Overall this company attracts highly skilled and knowledgeable individuals who provide a diverse workplace which benefits the company and the individuals.  less
Pros
high pay
Cons
outside during inclimate weather conditions
Honest review
Field Investigator (Current Employee) –  NY areaJuly 1, 2013
Current employee seeking to provide an honest list of information to anyone thinking about this position. This is a GOOD job, it's a job. Training is great, in field or on the job training can be limited, learn alot by just doing it. No career advancement unless one of the above managers leave and you are highly qualified, or if you are highly qualified and want to move to Raleigh NC to work in an office, which is a really nice environment/w friendly people. You work solely alone and human interaction in your work life is virtually non exhistant and limited to minutes a day phone calls. Neighbors call the cops on you while conducting surveillance. Some people like to harass you and think you are up to no good in the community. You have to lie to claimants when you call them on the phone and pretend your someone else, also required to lie to their neighbors to get info from them on your guy. The company provides you with good reliable information to get the job done. It's best to have window tint on your vehicle, which the company gives you most money for, but you get pulled over by the cops because of it. If your full-time, you don't really work steady full-time days because a lot of clients have a protocol to break off if nothing is going on, happens a lot. And work slows down in the winter time. You get paid min wage for everything unless you are sitting on a case. You sit ALOT in a car and cant get out cause the whole neighborhood is watching you. You idle your personal vehicle for hours a day to stay cool or warm, and the vehicle allowance just supplements what you could  more... make doing something else, cause pay is not that handsome. You cant leave the case to get something to eat. you go number 1 in a bottle, number 2 in the woods at times in bad situations. The company it's-self is good, the people are great who work there, and reasonable. You wake up every day at 4:30 am usually everyday to make it to your case on time. Cases are a reasonable distance. I like it though, but not a solid career choice for someone in their prime years.  less
Pros
go home early a lot
Cons
not steady hours
The G4S Branch Located in Fort Lauderdale on Powerline Rd.
CPO (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLFebruary 10, 2014
I didn't have a permanent post; so it’s hard to describe what a typical day working for G4S would be like. I was moved around A LOT. I worked at the courthouses, hospitals, AT&T, and a few other places contracted out to G4S. I miss the other officers I worked with while at G4S – that is, there were people from all different walks of life working there. There were retired corrections officers, police officers, and military personnel working alongside with you. There were also students, and parents working for the company – many of them decent. Many of the CPOs working there, myself including know that the job market is hard, therefore we have no choice but to work for a lousy security company like G4S/Wackenhut. Some of us just took the job just to get by. That was the common theme when you spoke to some G4S employees – it’s just a job, not a career. There is nothing good about this company with the exception of the people you work with.

My major/supervisor had me drive miles away to cover a post for four hours! In addition to being given lousy hours and pay, I showed up to a couple of post, and was told to go home. Management incorrectly assigned me a post that was already covered by another security guard/CPO, so therefore I wasn’t needed. I remember getting a call from my major/supervisor. He wanted to know if I received a letter in the mail explaining that my G4S security instructor was being investigated for fraud. I told him no. And he quickly got off the phone with me. The administration at G4S is also a joke. The HR rep at G4S messed up my direct deposit slip, and mishandled
  more... putting in my request for benefits. I had to constantly drive to the office to pick up my check. And I had no benefits.

If I had know better, or if there were more jobs available out here, I would’ve stayed away from G4S. G4S is a hot mess.
Pros
you were paid a wage although you didn't get your full 40 hours.
Cons
constantly having to call your major/supervisor to get hours.
It takes a special breed
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaNovember 24, 2015
Working at G4S at my location is minimally tolerable only because of our client. I took the job despite the lousy insurance and almost total lack of benefits. One of the benefits we did get offered was 5 paid holidays a year. Not as much as my previous job, (even the State of NC) but I just wanted to put in a few years before retirement so I settled. Up until this Thanksgiving I've had to work every holiday. Since I'm finally going to be off this Thanksgiving I asked a supervisor some questions so I might figure my check for the period. That's when for the first time, I was told you only get paid for the holidays that you work. Had I known that from the start, I likely would not have taken the job. Another of the perks generously provided by our client is free food. Now that I work in a different building I have a long walk to eat. Being about a 10 minute walk to the cafe and 10 minutes back that exceeds my 15 minute break so I'm unable to take advantage of the morning meal. If you want to work overtime there is sometimes an opportunity if you don't have a life or family. After a recent extensive survey of employees by G4S they found employees were drastically unhappy with their benefits. The magic answer was a new Promote Me program to guide you on your G4s career. If you want some part time work it's not a bad deal but for a full time job? Better put in a few internet searches about the company before signing on. Any company with high turnover should be approached with caution. Expect to have to navigate in the "Old Boy Network" also. You can get 4 weeks of vacation in 5  more... years but realize you will be burning some of that to make up the gaps in you pay left by no real paid holidays. Expect to wait some time for your uniforms. You only get 3 total and that can take some time. I've been waiting a year for a pair of boots.  less
Pros
Free food thanks to the client, great clients to work with.
Cons
Poor insurance, possible 25 cent per year raise, no true paid holidays
THE WORST PLACE TO WORK!!!
Security (Current Employee) –  Arlington TxFebruary 22, 2013
I've been with the company for at least 3 years and until I was transferred to my current post, I didn't know just how horrible a job could be. I started training on 1st shift and not even 3 hours into the shift, the picking on me started. I was sent to another shift the next week. First shift never relieves me on time, a first shift employee took my name off of my locker and gave it to someone else. Even my supervisor says I am being personally attacked by a certain 2 people on first shift but since they have been here longer than me, they get preferential treatment by the top Security Chief. When I complain about injustice or THEM not following the rules, I get told that I'm trying to be a supervisor and that I need to butt out of what's going on, but when I don't follow the rules, they want me written up. A girl lost her job because she refused to stay over and work extra 3 days in a row. Now we have a guy who has refused to stay over and work extra 5 times now, it's been documented that he won't do his work and it's gotten so bad that the Security chief WON'T give him the extra assignments because he knows they won't get done and yet THIS GUY STILL HAS HIS JOB!!! I have actually caught people alseep on the job and told my supervisor. What does he do? NOTHING!!! The Client we work for is unionized which means they are all a bunch of spoiled whiny brats who cry fowl on security when they don't get their way and yet it's been proven time and time again that THEY are the ones in the wrong. Alas, even though they are proven wrong, still, WE are the ones punished, because we did  more... our jobs. You can't win for losing here. No matter if you are right, you are always wrong because your Security Supervisors and Chief are so worried that they will offend somebody that they WON'T do their jobs. Believe me I have been searching for a better job and when I find one I will NEVER go back to G4S!!!  less
Pros
none!!!
Cons
every day is hell!!!
Horrible management and environment,
EMT/fire officer (Former Employee) –  GMSP, Spring Hill, TNAugust 25, 2015
I would work an eight hour shift on a rotating schedule, have eight hours off and then have to be back at work when my shift changed. I suggested that the rotating shift employees have their shift in a reverse order, where it would start on first (6a-2p), then move to second (2p-10p), etc. I was reprimanded for making a suggestion to upper management without the site managers "approval". I did this in accordance with the union handbook for security officers since I had also been trained as one, but it was still frowned upon.
I did, however, learn a lot about fire suppression systems in a large, automobile factory setting.
A typical day as an EMT, would be depending on which shift I was working that day. It was a very large plant (on over 3000 acres), so I had to know every inch of the inside and outside of the plant. Most shifts did consist of completing walk throughs of different buildings to look for fire, injured personnel, etc., checking on different components of the fire system and knowing what to do if they were to malfunction, responding to fires and injured personnel, doing multiple perimeter checks of specific areas to make sure things were secure.
The hardest part was honestly learning all the buildings and the fastest way to get to certain areas from the outside. This was a fully build-out plant, so cars went from stamping out the metal for the outside to assembly, then paint, then building engine from molten metals and assembly of the powertrain to go in the vehicles.
The most enjoyable part was when actually getting to perform my EMT duties, and help save
  more... lives, or prevent further injury.  less
Pros
Good benefits
Field surveillance
Private Investigator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 5, 2015
Sitting in one's car for eight hours a day was rough. Even rougher is that your territory was anywhere within a two hour drive from your house, and it usually was a two hour drive from your house. So two hours of driving to get to the job site, eight hours of surveillance, then two hours driving back was 12 hours - and that was before the three or four hours of paperwork writing the reports, submitting receipts, finding a FedEx location to mail the tapes/disks. One eight hour day of surveillance typically took 16 hours of total work. The only time paid at the $17.00 rate was case time. All other time spent on the job was minimum wage. So out of 16 hours, 8 of it was minimum wage. It was even worse when surveillance lasted only four hours. There was still four hours of driving and four hours of paperwork, so these eight hours were minimum wage.

What made it even worse is when you found out you had to drive two hours to Orlando for surveillance when there was an Orlando investigator who had to drive two hours to do surveillance five minutes from your house. The assignments were meted out by someone out of state who had no idea of Florida geography. Investigators had no way of contacting each other to ascertain surveillance assignments. So a day that could have been cut by four hours of driving was instead incredibly long unnecessarily so.

All communication was done by phone. I never met any of the other investigators in my territory. The work seemed like it was done in a vacuum.
Pros
no office to go to
Cons
very isolated since there was no one to talk to about the job
Professional position with an enormous amount of responsibility.
Customer Service Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, MOJune 3, 2014
I am employed by, G4S as my employer. However, my post is at Express Scripts. I am not a typical Security Officer. I work in the Security Control Center, where I monitor all alarms and cameras for, Canada, China and the US. This position requires a positive attitude and being a self starter with the ability to work solo. All communication is by phone or email.

The hardest part of this position was at the beginning, when I was brand new to the Security environment. It is by no means an easy job with lots to learn. How to communicate with Directors and Sr. Directors and the Management Team. Writing methods of communication. Knowing when to take authority with having the Police dispatched to a site with alarm activity. The list is endless.

A typical day at work is setting up more than one computer for my cameras and my work station. I handle all inbound telephone calls, Crisis Alerts, Incidents regarding damage to buildings or employees being hurt on the job; along with performing all Administrative Duties.

I enjoy my position with all my heart and soul. However, I've been working at the same position for three (3) years now with no room for advancement and no opportunity for pay increases. This is not due to my personal work performance. We are not employed by, Express Scripts. We are employed by, G4S and contracted out to Express Scripts.

I am ready to enhance my career and move forward as I have reached the peak of my ability at this position.
Cons
no room for advancement or pay increases.
Needs major help
Custom Protection (Current Employee) –  NCJanuary 7, 2014
There are good things and bad things about working for this company. Too bad the bad out weighs the good! I have worked server all sites during my time there and the experience varies from site to site. I love the site work at currently but the main office employees don't care about the officers and see you as trash. I have had nothing but issues with them. First you will never be able to retire with this company. So it's not for. Someone looking for a career. Company breaks labor laws on. Daily basis. One being changing your pay rate if you have to work overtime. Second, not paying you at all and claiming its on some card that they sent you months ago despite you enrolling in direct deposit. Third, you know those few months out of the year you get three paychecks? If you enroll in the company insurance they will deduct from the third paycheck despite the monthly amount already being paid. Some of the officers here are great and the rest are lazy and incompetent. Don't trust too many coworkers the company gives you incentives to stab them in the back. Trust me when I first started I did that to my former supervisor just so I could get more money. The company loses contracts on a monthly basis at no fault by the officers. I asked once why we weren't getting renewed and was told they hate dealing with g4s. I'm sure that management will dislike this comment but I am leaving and couldn't care less.
Pros
pay is higher than most
Cons
just about everything else
I can't believe so many people have given G4S a good review
Security (Current Employee) –  OhioSeptember 24, 2013
The Corporate office is stretched too thin.

The uniforms are poor quality, never fit correctly, and usually end up falling apart in a very short while.

The expectations of an every-day officer start out small but builds into something that can not be achieved. The company is wanting work horses, not humans with lives. They do not care if you have a personal life, family, plans, school, etc. They do not care that you want to work in order to have a life, they want you to live to work.

It is not abnormal to only receive 2-3-4 days off in a month, multiple months in a row. To request time off and get it denied. To work 60-70 hour work weeks for multiple weeks in a row.

Beyond the actual G4S corporation side of things, G4S is contracted out by each site it is at. The lack of quality in employees, consistent turn over with the staff, and overworked and underpaid people who actually stay make the client sites incredibly unhappy. The client I work for is constantly bidding out for different security companies, making no job-security at all. If the client gets a different security company I would have an opportunity to stay with G4S but would probably get stuck at some drug store working a grave yard shift for minimum wage.

Somebody on here wrote "don't walk, run..." and I couldn't agree more. Trust me, you would be happier at a department store or fast food until you find something else.
Pros
plenty of overtime
Cons
everything. everything.
Company pays a decent wage but the uniforms are made poorly & fall apart when washed. Also, the insurance is not that good.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIMarch 5, 2014
A typical day at my job can be nice or it can be hectic depending on the post that I am assigned to. If I am at the 87 truck gate, I can look forward to a very fast paced shift. Most of the truck traffic comes thru that gate. The 57 truck gate is a little slower. The shuttle driver from plant 58 picks up loads 3 times an hour & occasionally local drivers come in to pick up loads or empty trailers. When I sit at console, I record the daily activity report for my shift, answer phone calls, monitor the cameras, greet visitors & employees. When on patrol, I survey the outer & inner perimeter of GM in a patrol vehicle, hitting checkpoints with a toco wand, taking readings on the risers, & watching for anything unusual.

I think the hardest part of my job would be on a day at the 87 truck gate when the traffic is so heavy that I can't even take a minute to get a bite to eat. Once I had to work the truck gate on July 5 & the truck traffic was so heavy my supervisor was outside helping me for 2 or 3 hours.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the fact that I have met drivers from all over the country, some of which have become friends. I have learned that GM supports many charities which they allow us to participate in, I have also made a lot of friends at my job
Pros
the overtime. when there is a sservice request going on at gm, you get a lot of that.
Scraps of jobs nobody wants!
Officer (Former Employee) –  Amherst NYMarch 13, 2013
I interviewed with these people after some time of not getting hired and being told that "if you have ever been fired or let go from any job, you will not have a good chance of being hired here." Anyway, after some time passed by and G4S apparently changed their policy, which was about a year's time from when I first met with them, they brought me in and offered me a unionzed, unarmed job at a local site, this was supposed to be one of their "better" jobs at $10 an hour. I was told by the hiring manager that the hours could be erratic, although I explained I could not do all overnights. I get to the site and there are all these whining employees around who hate their jobs, tell me not to trust anyone or "blow anyone in" or it would only get harder for me, but wait, I just got here! The work site people met with me and said I have to take all overnights because I am starting out at the bottom, so this directly contradicted what I was told in the G4S office, or it was never explained that the schedule would be something I would not accept. The union was some unknown organization I never heard of and was noted to be "weak" by other employees. Before I got to the work site, the training was minimum wage, so if that does not turn you off, something else will. Stay away, far away! It is true that most security contractors are all the same, this one, if you last a month, you are lucky. Not a good place to work, terrible culture.
Poor maangement, lousy work hours, poor scheduling by operations manager
Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Reno, NevadaMay 3, 2014
This is not a good company to work for as the management treats you poorly, does not answer their phone or return calls, no job security, heaven help you if you dare to cross management and actually speak up for yourself in regards to the way you are treated, scheduling is a joke better plan on working 12 hour shifts most of the time due to the operations manager lack of responsible scheduling since she has to have her hands in everything so she can pull officers to work other accounts such as the bank because she is short staffed and the management is a joke you cannot speak up to your immediate supervisor because they are afraid of the operations manager and what she will do in retaliation. Co workers do not pull their fair share . I had high hopes and expected more from this company and when I dared to cross the operations manager I was retaliated against . I worked with some great individuals and some not so great individuals and the culture surrounding G4S is one of do not make waves because you will get retaliated against by not only the local management but corporate management as well. Everything I have said is true and I would not recommend this company to anyone especially if you are female.
Pros
good co workers
Cons
lousy management, poor scheduling, long work hours in exces of 60 hours a week
Great Security Company
Site Supervisor/Security Guard (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAMay 28, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed working for G4S and was sad to have to depart. The management for G4S and the post account management were excellent people to wok for. They went above and beyond to accommodate me and other officers when personal obligations came about. I started out as a security officer and within 10 days I was promoted to Site Supervisor. This level of advancement is not typical but it can happen when in the right place at the tight time. As far as job security is concerned, as long as you do the job as the post account management likes then you have no worries. Personal safety on the other hand leaves a few things to be desired. The post I worked was solo coverage (not all accounts are single) from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. Monday-Friday and 24 hours on Sat and Sun. Granted we each only worked 7 or 8 hours each day but we were alone after hours. Had something happened to any of us that would render us unconscious no one would know until found by a passerby or our relief officer did. I was unfortunately targeted by a few individuals and they did their best to cause me harm. It was for this reason I decided to vacate my position. Had things been a little better in personal safety I would still be at my post.
Pros
Great management, benefits, and opportuntiy for advancement
Cons
low pay, single coverage at certain posts, long days and hours when short-handed
If someone approved this company... THEY LIED
UPSCALE SECUIRTY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 26, 2015
The balance of job/work life is like any other job. Only difference is that they can force you to stay overtime if you want to or not They don't care if you had plans, it's your anniversary, or if you had an appointment. Work or be disciplined.
Compensation is more than most security jobs. But consider this, YOU WILL NEVER RECIEVE A RAISE AND YOU WILL NEVER GET TO MOVE TO ANOTHER SITE, OR GET MOVED UP IN THE COMPANY... EVER.
Management is bias and desperate. They're only fair to flex officers or people who work in management. Consider yourself another body.
Job Culture is stressful.
The account holders could careless about you. If you call them, be prepared to be treated rudely, told about how many sites they have and why they can't deal with you. Again, they only care about the flex officers because they're the work horse.
If you file a repost on the company or your site. Nothing will come of it and change will not happen. You can't be a forward thinker, only a robot.
Security is a cut throat business and G4S pays more than most. However, if you want to deal with being micro managed and co-workers who act like they still in highschool, Be my guest.. But if you don't have to work for G4S, please, don't. Consider the post office or something.
Pros
Pay better than MOST security solution companies
Cons
Everything, seriously, everything