G4S Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,358 reviews matching the search
Tulsa Local Office is disorganized and unaware of the needs of clients and officers...
Director of Security (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 2, 2016
Great company to work for. Fantastic pay and benefits in the armed positions or director, Assistant Director and Supervisory positions. The best thing to do is your job to the best of your ability. Do what you're told not what is right seems to be the motto there. Too much politics are involved in those higher up positions...you'll never win that battle....steer clear if you can
Pros
Great pay and benefits as a Director, Assistant Director or Supervisor
Cons
Poor communication, dishonest or misleading at times, long hours no appreciation
A wonderful, compassionate and professional company.
PROJECT MANAGER / REGIONAL SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 26, 2016
Working here has been a wonderful experience, wishing I could be here longer, as they are an excellent company with great benefits and opportunities. Unfortunately at this time I am unable to relocate to have the opportunity of taken advantage on furthering my career with them. Thanks G4S for the opportunity y'all have given me to work with a highly respected team of employees along with top notch management.
Pros
Great compensation, benefits and professional employees.
Cons
Local Contracts
Would never work for these idiots again!
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAMarch 29, 2016
I have worked for this outfit back in 2009 and Yes! I showed up all ways on time and worked many more hours than I was scheduled for like taking on a lot of call offs. Almost all the time and they mostly try their best to bend the rules when it comes to pushing you to work well beyond your legal limit. They did have benefits but the situation working at this place is poor management. Us security guards were supposed to police the employee we are working for instead we were policing them and each other. And basically were walking on egg shells and worried about the smallest mistake your fired.
Working for this company literally felt like a prison camp. And to make matters worse if they don't get their own way with you like expecting you to work hours others couldn't like call offs. They would threaten you with cutting your hours or benefits. Again poor management! I have so many stories from other guards from other sites on this issue matching up with I was also experiencing.
Pros
Working for this company was like when the work was available work it while it lasts!
Cons
Would not work for this company ever again!
A typical job but no career
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 6, 2016
Its a boring job not much to do you go to work sit on a stool for 9 hours. doesn't seem like there is much growth in the company I have asked and applied to many jobs within my company for a promotion have never received a phone call in regards to it. Benefits are terrible health care is not bad but 401k they do not match which seems pointless since how little pay we get and PTO we only get 40 hours for the year and it doesn't start until your first year of working which is a first for me I always started with 2 weeks of PTO after 3 months of working. supposedly it goes up to 2 weeks after 3 years of employment.
Pros
easy job not much stress at all, work good hours in which i enjoy some others may have to work overnights and weekends
Cons
not much growth, benefits are weak, Boring job
n/a
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Boardman, ORFebruary 29, 2016
my review is that when it came to the work in this job it was simple and repetative, but over all not bad. when it comes to the cluster of employees especially management, there is no confidentiality, no form of respect when it comes to equals and absalutely no job security... i have worked for a couple different companies and this is the only one i have ever had a bad review for... one of there biggest rules like most jobs is that when you have an issue or anything you want to bring to the table then you follow your chain of command until someone listens, the biggest problem i seen with this in this company is that the chain of command are all way to close so following the chain didnt do most employess any good
Pros
good coworkers and a simple job to learn
Great name in the security industry... however didn't convinced me.
CPO (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 5, 2016
Management (although not all) is unprofessional, lack of communication creates problems with scheduling too often and most seem to enjoy to issue threats on termination. There is no advancement within the company and noticed that promotions are hand picked. Pay depends on the site even if hired as a CPO... a joke.

People with social issues are often named site leaders, and If a part time officer, most say you will be used extensively at first then left with meager hours later. My biggest mistake to consider for a job so far.... one advice, look into other companies first.

If you are onboard already, well...Good luck.
Pros
Is somewhat a job, simply changing time for some money
Cons
Job security, pay is a joke, schedule issues, people in charge with personality issues
If someone approved this company... THEY LIED
UPSCALE SECUIRTY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 26, 2015
The balance of job/work life is like any other job. Only difference is that they can force you to stay overtime if you want to or not They don't care if you had plans, it's your anniversary, or if you had an appointment. Work or be disciplined.
Compensation is more than most security jobs. But consider this, YOU WILL NEVER RECIEVE A RAISE AND YOU WILL NEVER GET TO MOVE TO ANOTHER SITE, OR GET MOVED UP IN THE COMPANY... EVER.
Management is bias and desperate. They're only fair to flex officers or people who work in management. Consider yourself another body.
Job Culture is stressful.
The account holders could careless about you. If you call them, be prepared to be treated rudely, told about how many sites they have and why they can't deal with you. Again, they only care about the flex officers because they're the work horse.
If you file a repost on the company or your site. Nothing will come of it and change will not happen. You can't be a forward thinker, only a robot.
Security is a cut throat business and G4S pays more than most. However, if you want to deal with being micro managed and co-workers who act like they still in highschool, Be my guest.. But if you don't have to work for G4S, please, don't. Consider the post office or something.
Pros
Pay better than MOST security solution companies
Cons
Everything, seriously, everything
Run away if working at Tulsa Office covering sites!
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 3, 2016
Pays great but your just a number to them. If you want to do real Security this is NOT the place. Observe and report or call 911 even if your watching someone get beat up or anything of that nature. Hands off approach even on private property...citizens arrest? Don't even think about it...they think they'll deter with a uniform...the word is out that G4S can't and won't do anything...becareful, they don't get any respect here
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
They dont care about employees, high turnover, no consistency with management
Do Not Work For G4S Lake Academy
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 21, 2015
G4S does not pay well at all. I was working at Lake Academy with at risk youth. First off they only started us off with 8.25 an hour and you don't get any raises at all. They don't tell you that when you get hired. 4 days out of the week you will get stuck at work.... Yeah 16 hour shifts all the time and they don't want to pay you for the overtime. G4S is always always short staff I was always on the unit by myself with 20 mental health at risk youth. so of course short staff there will be fights breaking out or someone trying to harm themselves. How can a staff get written up or blamed when something goes wrong? you can call a code and no one will come. G4S needs to pay better for one, get and keep staff, and retrain the whole company. You can forget about a break because you wont get one but they will still deduct the hour a day from your pay. SMH
Its a job...
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXOctober 25, 2015
I worked as a Security Officer.

A typical day at work will be driving around checking security routes.

They will not work with your schedule in the slightest.

The job is nothing special, you will only need to learn what keys go to what and at what time to close certain doors.

The management is like other typical business. They do not care about you, your life, or how many hours you will get.

The hardest part would be dealing with the management. If you ever get assigned the Broadway Square Mall, just move on.

This man will hound you and pin every single bit of blame on you if anything is to ever go wrong, and will in fact try to get you fired anyways, because he is one of those supervisors that likes to play power games, get people in trouble, so he can look important to his management.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the down time. There is a lot of it.

The job is easy. The management is a joke. They will remind you that you are replaceable.
Pros
Lots of down time, lots of smoke breaks
Cons
Short breaks, bad pay, bad benefits, no room to promote up, bad management
Poor Management
Upscale Security Officer USO (Current Employee) –  Arden, NC.October 1, 2015
I started to work for G4S in April 2015. So far this is the 3rd Area Manager we had. There pay is around $ 9 to 10 dollars p/h some lower. And your premium sites they have that pay up to $ 12 but unless you been with the company for years they will give you the accounts nobody will work or 3rd shift. Also there sales and marketing division stink new constuction all around Asheville, NC. and yet no new accounts. Most security company's have poor management and don't really pay much. Basically they are glorified temporary companies there clients use them for insurance purposes only. And for hours only a couple will reach 40 hours per week the rest of us maybe 24 hours a week.
Pros
Promotions and raises for top management
Cons
Lousy accounts medical insurance if you can qualify
Not a bad job, BUT
Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 18, 2015
I worked here for almost a year before I hit my limit of what I could take. Working a contract was a day to day experience. Co-workers were great but management was Iffy at most. Supervisors seemed to only care about themselves and if you wanted time off for a holiday. You better hope that your days off fell on that day or it wasn't going to happen. Of course I cant prove it, but my feeling is that the supervisors and managers that appear on site were racist. In the 9 months I worked here I watched every single race that wasn't the supervisors either get fired or quit. Getting fired was easy, just do something that the supervisor/manager thought was wrong. No first warning or written warning.. Just Fired on the spot.
Pros
Quality Training
Cons
Management is So So
Learned to do a lot on my own.
Security Guard Officer (Current Employee) –  Panama, OKMarch 3, 2016
Worked there for 4 1/2 years and I can do whatever is needed of me there. I love the clients.
Immediate management was not that good, but I am still there.
Pros
MEET LOTS OF PEOPLE
Cons
NO RAISES OR ADVANCEMENTS IN IMMEDIATE LOCATION
Security minded job, minus the benefits.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILDecember 11, 2015
Typical work day consisted of being observant. Ensuring others safety and safe guarding of military vessels was very important. I worked well with coworkers and clients of the facility. Hardest part of the job was the not knowing what shifts or days you were going to work. A simpler way of doing this was not followed by staff. Meeting different people that worked at the site is what I enjoyed the most
Pros
Great benefits for a security company, good medical and dental plans. Outstanding recognition programs, features in the monthly newspaper.
Cons
The pay rates largely depend on the client. If you have the right client, you pay will be higher. Lack of promotional opportunities
very time consuming but offer stability
Security Officer (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 1, 2016
I've worked for the company for four years and wanted to move up as a supervisor, the company has its picks also they do not go by seniority, you could be there for years on call when they need you working tirelessly and just when you think you've put in hard work to move up the ladder they hire brand new people train them and give them the job you desired..
Pros
you cant get easily fired
Cons
Good place to work if management was better trained.
Custom Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 18, 2015
There was no problem with the job itself. It was the favortism of how management treated certain individuals that was of poor taste. Lack of advancement opportunites unless you were in a click with other management personnel. Management abusing their authority.
Pros
Good pay and hours
Cons
Poor management, unfair and preferable treatment to certain individuals, poor benefits and advancement
Don't do it if you can avoid it
Custom protection officer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 17, 2015
Management is usually terrible. Ive been on two contracts so far. My first one was okay except the supervisors always expected you to do more than you were paid and contracts are always and I mean ALWAYS understaffed. The second contract I was on was even worse. I havent even met my supervisor and the contract is ONLY outdoors. Promised a better position but instead I am working with people without degrees when I was supposed to be on a different, higher paying, contract with my degree. I can't wait to leave this job. Only doing it to hold me over until I start my career. If you just want easy money go for it, but if you want to be treated fairly with better hours then save yourself the trouble of money hungry private security companies such as G4S.
good experience; has a few problems
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  San AntonioSeptember 23, 2015
This job is tedious but not very difficult at all. I would recommend to anyone who is thinking about pursuing a career in law enforcement or service protection.

The job is good fodder for experience on a resume but won't help you realistically in experience. You get to make a rapport with Police officers of varying titles and experienced security/military officers which is really good.

The hours are consistent and they offer good benefits to remain long term. But if you are a one income home I wouldn't recommend the job as the pay is fairly low to sustain more than one person.

The equipment breaks easily, and there are safety hazards that are disregarded by management. There are no lunch breaks. You eat when you have time and cannot leave your site, which can be a good and a bad thing. A word of advice if you apply for this job bring basic utilities because they are not always provided for you.
Pros
good resume experience, good long term benifits
Cons
no breaks, supervisor has a temper, no first aid kit
Security Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2016
Worked with company for several years. Appropriate raises and promotions. Unfortunately I had to leave due to lack of work.
Pros
Professional management
Cons
Lack of good sites
Not very trustworthy
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 28, 2016
I've worked for many security companies, but never one who has lied to me like G4S has. Payroll (from the Branch Office's side) is always messed up. Vacation was promised to roll over for incumbents into the contract...never happened. Benefits were promised from the date the contract was signed over...never happened. Pay rates were promised at one dollar amount and had to be battled from incumbent officers. A full staff was promised so that 50 and 60 hour weeks would diminish...never happened. G4S refused to offer anything MORE for the client than what was stated in the contract. Communication was non-existent between the Site Supervisor and officers, as well as, branch managers and officers. All in all, a nightmare of a company to work for.
Pros
A great team of officers made the days lighter and a great site to work at
Cons
Lies. A whole bunch of lies.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G4S. Our community is ready to answer.